Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Compass & IMU & YAW errors then flies away
4311 12 2019-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ego^pFe
lvl.1
Italy

Hi folks,
my scenario is very simple.
I switch on my Spark, wait for °everything ok° message... ok for GPS... so I take off.
After a couple of minutes... during flight... I receive compass error, I see the GPS signal to go to 0, the Spark goes in ATTI and flies away from me going crazy.
Fortunately I can manage to take it back even in crazy driving without crashing.

Now, analizing the logs on AirdataUAV I see tons of bad notifications, but , when I read the scoring... the log reports that GPS signal is good and the compass is also good!
I'm going mad! Can someone help me?

I'm very very sorry if this post is so caothic but it's to have a clear situation of the problem.

Below pictures and at the end the logfiles extracted from AirdataUAV flightdata2.zip (632.88 KB, Down times: 2)
IMG_8796 (Piccola).jpg
IMG_8795 (Media).JPG
2019-8-24
Use props
Flygmaskin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70719 ft
Sweden

First of all: Good job bringing your Spark back! Nice flying.

Secondly: You're not alone. Something is wrong with some of the Spark units. See this thread if you like: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=196124

Unless you took off in a bad area with lots of metal, or if you performed a bad compass calibration, I would recommend you send the flight logs and .DAT files to DJI and ask them to review them. Be cautious as to fly the Spark in the mean time.
2019-8-24
Use props
Ego^pFe
lvl.1
Italy

Flygmaskin Posted at 8-24 09:14
First of all: Good job bringing your Spark back! Nice flying.

Secondly: You're not alone. Something is wrong with some of the Spark units. See this thread if you like: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=196124

Thank you for the answer...
I won't fly anymore with my spark since It's acting like this since four flight and every flight is worst than previous...

2019-8-24
Use props
ssylca44
Captain
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Sorry about your problem.
I would try to fly at a limited altitude, say 10m or less, in an open area away from city wifi and only  10 to 20m away from you. Check if you have trouble with GPS and compass. In this scenario, if the spark goes to ATTI mode. you shouldn't have any problem to regain control.
2019-8-24
Use props
MarkMN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77100 ft
United States

Have you ever calibrated the compass and IMU?
2019-8-24
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

I think that your screenshots are not the right ones, i see different values in the shots compared to the log and to the airdata uav dispplays.

But never mind, your fligjhtlog shows that immediately after takeoff (climbin at the spot) at 7.7 meters the first compass error is there.

In this log (DJIFlightRecord_2019-08-23_[12-14-28]) no ATTI, logs ends at 6m10 in OPTI flying at 3.8 meters.

After take off checks are so important !  go into  hover and move in all directions, during yaw right and left watch the red arrow in the app. if all is OKE and arrow points to the good directions (as your craft) ; start flying.

For now, just do a IMU andCompass calibration and check the next flight.

cheers
JJB

2019-8-24
Use props
Ego^pFe
lvl.1
Italy

JJB* Posted at 8-24 10:41
Hiya,

I think that your screenshots are not the right ones, i see different values in the shots compared to the log and to the airdata uav dispplays.

You’re right the screenshots below to a second flight made a couple of minutes later after the compass calibration that did not give any result.

Since my post was very long I forgot to say that I already did also what DJI support suggested me to do:
1) firmware refresh
2) remote un link and then re link

When I asked why, They told me to do IMU and Compass calibration only if asked by the drone.
Obviously this did not work for me so I calibrate the compass without any result (and the screenshot belong to the second flight, the notification are the same).

About IMU calibration I’m going to do that but I strongly think that it’s something strange, since also for the logs compass and IMU are working correctly, during the flight something happens and the hardware cannot read anymore correct data. I’m wondering if it’s going crazy due to the fact we’re in summer and higher temperatures of the Spark motherboard even if for the logs everything it’s ok.

I’m reading that a lot of people has this kind of problem and I strongly think that DJI must do something to prevent the fly-away problem, otherwise someone can crash over people creating a mess for this issue.

2019-8-24
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ego^pFe Posted at 8-24 23:49
You’re right the screenshots below to a second flight made a couple of minutes later after the compass calibration that did not give any result.

Since my post was very long I forgot to say that I already did also what DJI support suggested me to do:

Hi,

Nothing wrong with performing a FM refres, IMU and Compass calibration, fresh start to see if it helps.
IMU and Compass calibration does not harm in any way your SPARK, if done properly!

Calibrating compass is very important, do it in a free of any metal area (no watch etc), i prefer a large green field wich have no metal in the ground!

My advice is to do always a after take off check!   In the hover, move fdw,aft, left, right. than yaw 360 left and back 360 right. Watch the red arrow in the app (attitude/compass indicator) and check if the red needle shows your drone heading and is steady indicating when drone is at steady heading)
(ps do cailbrate your mobile device as well ; red needle gets its info from the drone, compass N sign gets its info from your phone compass)

When all is OKE than start to fly.
If during flight any error (yaw, imu, compass, speed) pops up, DJI SW will kill the use of the GPS signals, so flight mode changes automatically into ATTI (if OPTI is not possible).
IMO the warning messages are not always representing the correct situation, i.e. if a yaw errror kills the GPS you get a GPS error....wich is not the cause of the error.

I fly with a GPS tracker on top of my SPARK, in case it gets uncontrollable for me     at least i know where to search for it.
cheers
JJB

2019-8-25
Use props
Ego^pFe
lvl.1
Italy

JJB* Posted at 8-25 01:16
Hi,

Nothing wrong with performing a FM refres, IMU and Compass calibration, fresh start to see if it helps.

Thank you so much for you advice.
It’s a crazy thing that DJI software kills the GOS process, this means that Dji intentionally goes the spark crazy fly away :-)
They simply  should put the drone in hovering without any movement since the situation has been solved, not going in ATTI without notice the pilot what’s going on :-)

Now I’ going to recalibrate IMU even if DJI support told me isn’t required (I already calibrate compass) and retry but all the check you’re mentioning I already did it (fly a couple of meters and try everything, check the red arrow etc).
Seems that or compass or IMU goes crazy during the flight, and I was flying in open countryside  field and neither my P4 or my P3 gave any errors there... :-(

Stay tuned and thank you for your support!
2019-8-25
Use props
Ego^pFe
lvl.1
Italy

Ego^pFe Posted at 8-25 02:13
Thank you so much for you advice.
It’s a crazy thing that DJI software kills the GOS process, this means that Dji intentionally goes the spark crazy fly away :-)
They simply  should put the drone in hovering without any movement since the situation has been solved, not going in ATTI without notice the pilot what’s going on :-)

Hi folks,
just to let you know that I calibrate both compass and IMU and seems that my problem is solved.

Now I ask a question to DJI: why the help desk tells people to NOT calibrate IMU and compass?
"calibrate compass and IMU only if requested by software".

In my case nothing was asking.

https://app.airdata.com/share/PWyhHV
2019-8-26
Use props
Wolferl
Captain
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Germany

Ego^pFe Posted at 8-25 02:13

Hi,

That's nothing one can DJI blame for. If you don't have compass function, you simply can't have hover stabilization by GPS alone.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-8-26
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ego^pFe Posted at 8-26 06:15
Hi folks,
just to let you know that I calibrate both compass and IMU and seems that my problem is solved.

Hi,

Good news that your Spark is now working as it should be!

Always be carefull for the un-expected errors wich now and than happens with the SPARK system.
But you know now how to solve this.

happy many landings,
cheers
JJB

2019-8-26
Use props
Appflix
lvl.1

Spain

twitter.com
https://twitter.com
https://twitter.com