LATEST FIRMWARE - TRANSMISSION POWER LOSS?
1037 14 2019-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eze.lasvegas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 58914 ft
United States

I have a Phantom 4 with latest firmware all the way around.  I have noticed that in the area around my house, where I do any quick flight testing, all of a sudden, video transmission is crap when on AUTO mode.  If I switch to manual mode, it is better, but not for long.  My location is literally .1 miles inside my flight restriction area, however I am just testing and thus keeping below 50' and 75' left and right of me.  Basically, up and down my street.  I know this was not the case with the previous version, although I can't say if it was the immediate previous version or version before that.  I'm pretty anal about update notifications and installing them.

Has DJI has lowered the transmission power IF you are located just inside a restricted zone?  If so fine, I understand.  However, I then went out to an area just outside any restrictions and basically, it was better, but the same thing.  It appears there is some type of problem with APP 4.3.24 and today's latest firmware for both the drone and controller.

Anyone else having this experience?

Thanks in advance.

2019-8-24
Use props
polyengineer13
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1618796 ft
United States

I think I may have experienced this yesterday while taking sunset footage just outside my house. I flew to about 300-400ft about 100ft distance. Thought it was kind of strange.
2019-8-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

polyengineer13 Posted at 8-25 07:07
I think I may have experienced this yesterday while taking sunset footage just outside my house. I flew to about 300-400ft about 100ft distance. Thought it was kind of strange.

When you fly more or less over your head, you will get transmission issues, as the antenna in the aircraft are not in a good position in realtion to your controller. For better results, get further away horizontally. And 300 feet up and 100 feet away is more or less over your head.
2019-8-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It probably does not have anything to do with signal strength, and no, DJI has not introduce power reduction of any kind other than setting a maximum to suit your country's laws. More likely you are flying in an urban area with dozens of WiFi devices around you, each one competing for a channel.
2019-8-25
Use props
fans0f553395
lvl.2

Australia

I took my Phantom 4 Pro out yesterday and i noticed the app had updated itself.  Yesterday all my vision was choppy and laggy by 1 sec, worst was about 3 sec. It was big problem when flying, i changed spots couple times, rural area, (range i went was only max 350m.) The transmitted 720p vision was same as the saved vision 4K  to the SD card. (and yes i have the right cards for 4K). No issues before.  I am just a newbie with sub 10 hrs flight time, drone is second hand but was working great previously.  

Few factors i can think of were different
- weather was overcast and air was damp.  how would this effect SD card vision?  
- i think i plugged the SD card in after i turned the drone on.  ?   plenty of space on the 32GB card
- flight times were slightly longer than before, but about 3 min or so. ?

any advice or thoughts appreciated.

no issues before this update.
2019-8-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans0f553395 Posted at 8-25 16:36
I took my Phantom 4 Pro out yesterday and i noticed the app had updated itself.  Yesterday all my vision was choppy and laggy by 1 sec, worst was about 3 sec. It was big problem when flying, i changed spots couple times, rural area, (range i went was only max 350m.) The transmitted 720p vision was same as the saved vision 4K  to the SD card. (and yes i have the right cards for 4K). No issues before.  I am just a newbie with sub 10 hrs flight time, drone is second hand but was working great previously.  

Few factors i can think of were different

"- weather was overcast and air was damp.  how would this effect SD card vision? "

Weather has no effect on the vision, or the card at all.

"- i think i plugged the SD card in after i turned the drone on.  ?   plenty of space on the 32GB card"

The aircraft may not have recognised the card, but then again, it might have. But usually you do not plug the card in after the aircraft has been powered up.

"The transmitted 720p vision was same as the saved vision 4K  to the SD card."

Not sure what you mean about this, the preview feed on your phone or tablet would be in 720p, and the video clip saved to the SD card in the aircraft would presumably be 4K if that is what you selcted. What are you saying?

Lag in decoding is caused by the phone or tablet, not an update. It is an MPEG stream transmission, and all MPEG streams lag to more or lesser degrees.

2019-8-25
Use props
Mr.Burns.666
lvl.3
Canada

There is definitively something wrong with the new  version DJI Go 4.3.24 version.
I've upgrade from a Phantom 3 Pro to a Brand new Phantom 4 Pro a month ago.
My P3P was quite stable and the P4P was rock stable until i've re-install the Go 4 app
I was using the 4.3.20 version and i didn't know that the app have been upgrade when i re-install it
Now it's like if my P4P was drunk...when i don't touch anything,in GPS mode,he can't hold his position
anymore,he go up a little than down a little..a bit on the left...a bit on the right....
Like i've mention...he use to be dead stable...
And before someone mention that's it's probably a  'mechanical' problem...
I also fly my P4P using the DJI Racing Googles,so in that case i don't use the DJI Go 4 app at all...
Again....dead stable
I fly my drone everyday,if the weather allow,always at the same place.
The only change is the new app
I've spend all day trying to research how to go back to the previous version,the one that i've been using
since day 1...and from what i've read,it's just not possible
Is this true ??
2019-8-25
Use props
snowyxsnowy
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 8-25 17:39
"- weather was overcast and air was damp.  how would this effect SD card vision? "

Weather has no effect on the vision, or the card at all.

I'm saying exactly what you repeated so how are you confused?  preview feed / transmitted vision, same same.  If it's the iphone7Plus decoding causing lag, choppy, footage then why is the saved SD card footage the same... seems like my drones raw vision has some sort of processing error yesterday. hopefully is due to inserting sd card after. If i had any brains at all i would have removed the sd card on the second spot, something to test another time. More testing required before i blame 4.3.24 i suppose...  
2019-8-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

snowyxsnowy Posted at 8-25 19:11
I'm saying exactly what you repeated so how are you confused?  preview feed / transmitted vision, same same.  If it's the iphone7Plus decoding causing lag, choppy, footage then why is the saved SD card footage the same... seems like my drones raw vision has some sort of processing error yesterday. hopefully is due to inserting sd card after. If i had any brains at all i would have removed the sd card on the second spot, something to test another time. More testing required before i blame 4.3.24 i suppose...

You cannot record lag. Lag is when the received video is lagging behind the actual video action. And the video saved to the SD card in the aircraft will not be laggy or choppy.  Also, if you have your settings for the camera set up to record in 4K, then the recording on the SD card in the aircraft will be in 4K. However the feed to your phone will only be in 720p, as it is only intended to provide you with a rough idea of exposure and framing.

If you are playing back the SD card and it appears to be "choppy", then the problem is with the method you are using to play it back. Firstly, you need to play it back on a reasonably powerful computer, and you need to have a decent video player. Also, you need to copy the file to the HDD on your computer and then play it back, do not play back off the SD card itself, as the SD card reader will slow down the data transfer.

If you would like us to take a look at the file, upload a short un-edited file to Dropbox and someone here can take a look at it.

2019-8-25
Use props
eze.lasvegas
lvl.2
United States

I must say that I AM MAKING these assessments based upon doing the exact same flights, from the exact same area.  I fully understand all the external issues related to WIFI in neighborhoods etc.  Also understand the above your head situation.  However, I have made these claims based upon good test parameters and consistent variables.  Now that others are having issues, it is safe to say DJI has a problem with either the APP version or latest firmware, in conjunction with it.
2019-8-26
Use props
eze.lasvegas
lvl.2
United States

I am really disappointed that I am getting ready to take a small trip to CA, was planning to do some flying along HWY 101 and now a bit concerned about having a problem and losing the drone.
2019-8-26
Use props
eze.lasvegas
lvl.2
United States

Is there ANY WAY to downgrade the APP version and firmware versions at the same time?
2019-8-26
Use props
eze.lasvegas
lvl.2
United States

Mr.Burns.666 Posted at 8-25 18:29
There is definitively something wrong with the new  version DJI Go 4.3.24 version.
I've upgrade from a Phantom 3 Pro to a Brand new Phantom 4 Pro a month ago.
My P3P was quite stable and the P4P was rock stable until i've re-install the Go 4 app

I too noticed that.  The footage was fine, but yes the bird was acting unstable, like it was drunk.  I had been out a couple of weeks before doing a lot of flying and no problems.  This just started.
2019-8-26
Use props
Mr.Burns.666
lvl.3
Canada

I didn't touch any firmware so it have to be the new 4.3.24  APP
Also,like i've already mention,when am flying using the DJI Googles,i don't use the new APP at all
and everything is fine.
The problem is APP related,not just a coincidence...
2019-8-26
Use props
fans9d4538a0
lvl.2

Australia

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=197142&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D559%26typeid%3D559
2019-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules