Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
I can't be the only one, can I?
933 23 2019-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kashmir08
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I've had my Mavic Air for over a year and in that time I have only flown five or six times. It's not because of a lack of places I want to fly or a lack of motivation it's because of people and how they may react.

I bought my Air just as rogue drone sightings, real or not, at airports started making the news and news outlets started demonising drones and their users, and it appears to have only become worse since.

I'm at the point now were I get my Air ready to take out and then start imaging how many people will be at the place I want to fly and how they will react until I just talk myself out of going.

Are there other users like me who feel that image of drone users is so tarnished that they expect only negative reactions from others? How do pilots with thousands of hours deal with negative reactions? Do people think the image of drone users can be untarnished and flying, for people like me, can be an enjoyable hobby?

I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.
2019-8-25
Use props
UKMoose
Captain
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

Hi bud, I live in the Yorkshire dales and have had my MP1 since February, I have had only positive remarks from walkers I have met, they seem very happy to see how it works and even asked for a photo to be emailed to them. I'm sure I will have a negative encounter at some point but at the moment all is very pleasant when flying.
2019-8-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You should remember when flying you should be giving people a wide birth, yes landing and take off is something you need to get over, what your doing is perfectly legal and if you fly within the rules you should have no problems, ignore the begrudgers know the rules and your rights, try where it’s possible to engage onlookers. It’s just simply another hobby .
2019-8-25
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Just fly.  It's none of their business lol.
2019-8-25
Use props
KS-6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 112559 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think you are well placed in having the concerns you do, these devices are not "Just another hobby" as one reply put it and when it comes to safety and consideration of disrupting otherwise peaceful outings of others in public spaces, drone fliers must always consider their conduct. I don't use drones in hobby fashion as it is a tool in my work but even when I have essentially carte blanche from a client, I go out of my way to notify people within range of my intentions and consider any and all requests.

I think with a bit of creative outreach on your part, you can strike a balance of enjoying flying your drone as a hobby and helping to move the needle of public perception in the right direction. On behalf of the non-drone flying public of which I was once a member of, I thank you for considering all of this.
2019-8-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

KS-6 Posted at 8-25 06:54
I think you are well placed in having the concerns you do, these devices are not "Just another hobby" as one reply put it and when it comes to safety and consideration of disrupting otherwise peaceful outings of others in public spaces, drone fliers must always consider their conduct. I don't use drones in hobby fashion as it is a tool in my work but even when I have essentially carte blanche from a client, I go out of my way to notify people within range of my intentions and consider any and all requests.

I think with a bit of creative outreach on your part, you can strike a balance of enjoying flying your drone as a hobby and helping to move the needle of public perception in the right direction. On behalf of the non-drone flying public of which I was once a member of, I thank you for considering all of this.

Maybe you should read exactly what my post said, while many professional photographers and SAR users used drones professionally, by far the biggest users of drones are hobbyists.
Everybody is entitled to partake in his or her hobby and no matter what the hobby is , as long as you show respect for others and equally them for you then this HOBBY can live in harmony with others.

You will also have noticed that I clearly said to fly within the rules, it’s busybodies like yourself who begrudge hobbyists of partaking in this hobby, this is not just a tool for professionals in fact professionals are the are much smaller body using drones, and I say this as a commercial pilot .
2019-8-25
Use props
Gimpy
Second Officer
United States

I suspect that many, if not most, of us are aware of and to some degree self-conscious about the fact that our hobby isn't a popular one with the general public. That hostility towards drones has been around a long time, but yes, you being in the UK may make a difference, because the reports at Gatwick and Heathrow are probably more a part of public awareness there than it is the rest of the world.

Personally, I try to fly in places where I won't be seen or at least won't be seen by many people, and those places tend to be more conducive to safe flight anyway. On the occasions when other people were around, most comments I've gotten were merely curious ones or even positive, but yes, the possibility exists for other types of encounters, and like other aspects of flying, you should be prepared mentally for how to deal with it if that happens.

The bottom line is that if you want a hobby that all your friends and neighbors will approve of then flying drones probably isn't the best choice, but if you're flying safely and legally and don't like the idea of letting strangers bully you into giving up something you enjoy, then I encourage you to stick with it.
2019-8-25
Use props
Kashmir08
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thanks for all the replies.

On the occasions I have flown I have observed the drone code and I have no interest in breaking any laws. I have multiple apps for weather, wind and restricted airspace areas that I consult even when I'm not considering flying

I haven't had any bad experiences when I've flown, apart from the odd evil glance, and maybe I'm over-thinking but it's a hard habit to break. It doesn't help when the head of the National Air Traffic Services goes on record saying that drone pilots are, "Clueless, Careless and Criminal.". https://dronephotographyservices.co.uk/drone-pilots-branded-clueless-careless-and-criminal/ and the BBC airs programs such as, "Britain's Next Air Disaster? Drones.". https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006h51

It doesn't take much in the UK for opinion to be changed and once something is demonised it is almost impossible to change the opinion back. With all the negative publicity surrounding drones it is going to have an effect on the publics opinion that will ensure all drone flyers, lawful or not, will be tarred with the same brush.

Anyway, once again thanks for the replies and I'll try and get out flying more and beat my own demons.
2019-8-25
Use props
HH1
Captain
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Kashmir08,  I also consider what you have said, and I think that is one of the reasons that so many videos are shot from a distance up from those in the area of the recording.  Nice to have the noise up high where most don't notice it  I have only flown in my backyard and at a dedicated flying field for remote controlled aircraft.  Keeping with-in the rules and considering others will not get you in trouble.  
2019-8-25
Use props
KS-6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 112559 ft
  • >>>
United States

"It doesn't take much in the UK for opinion to be changed and once something is demonised it is almost impossible to change the opinion back. With all the negative publicity surrounding drones it is going to have an effect on the publics opinion that will ensure all drone flyers, lawful or not, will be tarred with the same brush."

Well that is also an outcome of the times we live in, the media and especially social media loves a new target and whipping boy.

I think you are doing the right thing though, having a bit of hesitation as these "hobby" items can be hacked, misused and god forbid, weaponized and the public knows this. I expect to see the integration of policy, public and commercial use of these devices get more complex as more of them are sold and fill their allocated airspace. So it is up to all of us to stay ahead of the tech and issues and help steer it all into responsible use.

I can't speak for other countries but in the U.S. through some of my work I am directly connected to those who enact policy in regards to use of these aircraft and I plan on staying very much involved with it as a means to keep it balanced.  Hopefully we can all stay at the table of mutual consensus and keep taking advantage of these devices as both tools and recreational pursuits.

2019-8-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Kashmir08. Thank you for reaching out. I understand how you feel with regards to this matter. Just fly your drone and follow the rules and everything will be fine. in addition I hope that our valued DJI co pilots will be able to share there thoughts and experiences on this matter as well. Please stay safe always and keep on flying.
2019-8-25
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm in the UK and totally get your concern but I take my Inspire to local parks and nobody gives me any grief at all. In fact, I've flown nearly ten million feet in three years with eleven different DJI drones in over 50 UK locations from Hastings to Yorkshire, Wales to London and Cromer to Hertfordshire and I reiterate; nobody has ever given me any grief. Make sure you are aware of the rules (CAA drone code and ANO) stick to them as much as possible and be sure the land you take off from has not banned drones. If you do that then you are in the clear and if anyone has a problem with that then that is their paranoia and ignorance and not your problem. Now get out there and enjoy your drone knowing that you are LEGALLY permitted to do so...
2019-8-25
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kashmir08 Posted at 8-25 08:26
Thanks for all the replies.

On the occasions I have flown I have observed the drone code and I have no interest in breaking any laws. I have multiple apps for weather, wind and restricted airspace areas that I consult even when I'm not considering flying

Again, I wouldn't worry - the NATS rep that made that obscene comment has subsequently made a public apology for saying it... The BBC have also projected drones in a positive light in many news articles. The Gatwick fiasco has never raised it's head again on the BBC in several months and many people (including the Prime Minister) don't believe a drone was ever there. Nobody is going to prosecute you if you are not breaking any laws. You need to let your guard down,  lighten up and keep flying as often as possible otherwise, you'll become increasingly paranoid and end up giving up a great hobby for no good reason not to mention losing a grand on your drone! Anyone who approaches me while I'm flying merely takes an interest as they don't see drones very often and almost always compliment what they see.
2019-8-25
Use props
Mr Sepo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 929334 ft
Australia

Most of my anxiety comes from the social media groups of our peers.  The complaints and condescension.  I feel the problem is that many of these droners feel they must be accepted. They don’t like the feeling of being discriminated against.  I am an ex smoker and I am an expat living in a foreign country I did not grow up in.  I am used to feeling discriminated against at times.  Go and find a place away from people with some seclusion and avoid conversation as much as possible when flying.  Then get out and leave quickly when you’re done.  Don’t make yourself available to be stuck talking to somebody.  Just go.  That’s what I do.   I don’t need to feel accepted.  I don’t care.  I do my thing and go.  Sometimes you just have to have a thick skin, as sticking to the rules works only so far.   
2019-8-25
Use props
Neo Supreme
First Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

I'm in NYC, so I most definitely share your concerns and approach.  There have been times that I wanted to fly, but was turned off to the potential attention I may or may not have received.  No, it is NOT illegal to fly in NYC.  You do have to pick your locations carefully, as well as the times you choose to fly, of course, to minimize any type of undesired engagement with the rest of the populous.  I usually have my Part 107 card with me, just in case.
2019-8-27
Use props
Tollytastic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30932 ft
France

You are definitely not alone.
Although I live in France in a region with plenty of space I often feel that I am doing something wrong (probably due to my British upbringing) which affects confidence and enjoyment. Fortunately in France you have to get a qualification and register to fly a drone the size of a Mavic which has increased the feeling of my right to fly. The other things I do which help how I feel are,

1.        Fly in places or at times where there are not too many other people

2.        I take a photocopy of the government fly zone map with me so I can prove that I have the right to fly where I am (never needed to use it but it makes me feel better)

3.        If people are about I try to fly at an altitude where the noise is not a disturbance (easy with the Mavic pro as it’s so quiet)

4.        The best one is to go with my wife, she acts as the spotter and if anyone wants to talk about the drone and what I am doing my wife can have a chat which gives me the time to finish the flight and land before chatting. To be honest all the interactions have been positive,

5.        Fly as much as possible, the more you do the more confidence you get and the more you can enjoy these great little drones.

I was in the UK during the Gatwick episode so I fully understand your reticence but if you are following the rules most people are just inquisitive and friendly, but being with a second person  makes a huge difference.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Tolly
2019-8-27
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Flight distance : 10149541 ft
Canada

Even when flying within all the rules you get some people who will be very interested in drones and asking questions but then you get some people that will give you a hard time stating privacy issues, believe you me I am not interested in taking videos of them, but then some people just like to whine and complain, sad to say but that's what it boils down to.  My response to them is call the authorities.
2019-8-30
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Flight distance : 10149541 ft
Canada

Even when flying within all the rules you get some people who will be very interested in drones and asking questions but then you get some people that will give you a hard time stating privacy issues, believe you me I am not interested in taking videos of them, but then some people just like to whine and complain, sad to say but that's what it boils down to.  My response to them is call the authorities.
2019-8-30
Use props
MrTitan
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

UK user here, and I have experienced some animosity when flying DJI drones. Having come from custom built racing drones (no GPS/altitude sensors etc and attitude mode for 360 degree control) I find it somewhat laughable just how demonised camera drones have become by some people. Racing drones are only - and 100% - saved from frequent crashes at speeds of up to 80mph by the users flight input competency, yet I never had a bad word said to me when performing loops and flying circuits in my local recreation grounds. But Phantoms and Mavics, with all their safety features and stability, are hated by a surprising number of people who feel every right to tell you what a terrorist you are.

A lot of the hate is definitely due to the fear mongering by national news agencies, whilst some comes down to sheer ignorance and some people’s fear that their privacy has been infringed.  Once you show them the dot that is a human when flying your Mavic at 60 meters height etc. it generally puts fears to rest.  And however hard you try to follow the legal drone code (which I do) you will likely still meet resistance every so often.  If you take off in a spot with no person or building within 500 meters and fly happily for 15 minutes until the low battery power alarm activates at 25% remaining power its hard not break the drone law when needing to land at your takeoff position just as a troop of dog walkers approaches asking "what do you think your doing?!"  That’s life.  Just know your rights, keep calm and remain confident that you are legally allowed to fly and they are not legally allowed to harass you.
2019-8-30
Use props
Mullheliflier
Captain
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I always talk to people who approach when I fly. Showing them the view from the aircraft etc. I also make comment about the few idiots who give us a bad reputation. I have always had a positive response from them.
2019-8-31
Use props
Jimis.M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 746663 ft
Cyprus

Just fly.  Evereyone loves seeing a drone making a nice take off (except of those who see adrone autside of their window LOL)
2019-8-31
Use props
Dean01
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

You are not alone - i would suggest trying to find legal public area flight locations where no one else is around. Avoid people and private properties
2019-9-1
Use props
Wellsi
Captain
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I choose my locations to avoid crowds and always speak to people that come up to me, and in a positive way. I show them the camera view on the phone's screen and tell them I always stick to the rules.  And in 4 years, I've only ever had positive experiences.  
So don't go out expecting trouble.   Expect to have fun and remember there's always the odd miserable idiot in any situation in life.  Don't let the fear of that person put you off doing what you want to do,....

Ian in London
2019-9-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>

In the UK also and the few people Ive met whilst flying have all been very interested and nice about it.  I do try and fly by stealth though to be honest.   Just get out there and do some flying.  
2019-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules