What happens when you are entering a restricted zone
7639 23 2019-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kelisko
lvl.3

United States

I previously got confronted to the restricted zone dilemma. I was having my white bird follow me along our ocean road.
Suddenly, it stopped and I lost it. I stopped the car but I was unable to locate it in the air. I later realized by watching the footage that it moved away from the authorization zone a few feet and waited. It finally returned to the home location. I drove back and was lucky to get there as it was landing because of critical battery level.

Here is the footage. You will see the reaction of the Mavic Air towards the end of the video.

2019-8-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing your work with us. The Intelligent flight modes would not support restricted or No fly zone areas. You may check our geo-zone map for restricted area wherein you could possibly unlock depending on the level of restrictions. Please refer to the link below. Thank you for your support.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2019-8-25
Use props
Kelisko
lvl.3

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 8-25 08:15
Hi, thanks for sharing your work with us. The Intelligent flight modes would not support restricted or No fly zone areas. You may check our geo-zone map for restricted area wherein you could possibly unlock depending on the level of restrictions. Please refer to the link below. Thank you for your support.

That is correct. I contacted DJI support and they were very helpful. I only was able to learn how to unlock an authorization zone today. I appreciate your suggestion
2019-8-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Kelisko Posted at 8-25 08:22
That is correct. I contacted DJI support and they were very helpful. I only was able to learn how to unlock an authorization zone today. I appreciate your suggestion

Thanks for giving us an update and we're glad that you've managed to fix the situation. Should you have further concerns, please let us know. Cheers!
2019-8-26
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've only encountered 1 incident where I was flying one day in a completely opposite direction, as soon as I entered the restricted area the drone just hovered in front of the imaginary wall. I had no control of the drone upon pushing the right stick forward. You hear a military female voice with alert sounds, it is a little scary but in the situation you have to keep your cool so you can formulate a plan. I immediately pulled the stick backward full pitch and landed the drone without incident.
2019-8-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-26 19:39
I've only encountered 1 incident where I was flying one day in a completely opposite direction, as soon as I entered the restricted area the drone just hovered in front of the imaginary wall. I had no control of the drone upon pushing the right stick forward. You hear a military female voice with alert sounds, it is a little scary but in the situation you have to keep your cool so you can formulate a plan. I immediately pulled the stick backward full pitch and landed the drone without incident.

The imaginary wall analogy describes what happens perfectly.
2019-8-27
Use props
Kelisko
lvl.3

Togo

I've only encountered 1 incident where I was flying one day in a completely opposite direction, as soon as I entered the restricted area the drone just hovered in front of the imaginary wall. I had no control of the drone upon pushing the right stick forward. You hear a military female voice with alert sounds, it is a little scary but in the situation you have to keep your cool so you can formulate a plan. I immediately pulled the stick backward full pitch and landed the drone without incident.

Interesting! Your description matches perfectly what happened to me. In my case however, I was in tracking mode and I was driving. I was unable to stop the car where the event occurred so I had to drive a little further. I properly parked the car, got out and ran back but signal was lost and I could not see my white bird in the air. The RTH function is a life safer. I would recommend to never deactivate it in the settings and to always take off in a safe location where there's no people at all OR where there are trusted people waiting for the drone to return in case you lost control. I learnt my lesson.
2019-8-27
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That is encouraging to read as I've read a few threads where the drone just lands upon entering an NFZ and there is nothing the pilot can do to stop it - if it now just stops, hovers and RTH then that is a much safer procedure and one less likely for someone to lose their drone whilst not flying into a red area.
2019-8-27
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-27 00:59
The imaginary wall analogy describes what happens perfectly.

2019-8-27
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-27 07:09
That is encouraging to read as I've read a few threads where the drone just lands upon entering an NFZ and there is nothing the pilot can do to stop it - if it now just stops, hovers and RTH then that is a much safer procedure and one less likely for someone to lose their drone whilst not flying into a red area.

Yes, I've accidentally entered 2 NFZ's near my house, believe it or not I have 3 airports surrounding me, and I constantly watch for planes and helicopters in the air.

I had one close call with a commercial airliner, when I was flying my Mavic Pro and it was early in the morning on a Sunday where I was photographing someone's house and I took off at a much lower altitude and gave the drone some up pitch to see how  the property looked from high above.

We had no idea that I was on top of a commercial airliner when the Mavic Pro had the gimbal pointing straight down when all of a sudden we saw on the video that the Mavic Pro caught a commercial airliner flying low directly right below and past it and it was right over the house where the pilot must have been flying below 400 feet to taxi into the airport?

I would have attached the video but too concerned about having it go viral. If you were personally with me I'd play it for you and it is amazing how close that airliner came to squashing the Mavic Pro into smithereens. I doubt there would have been any risk to that airliner having seen the video it flew below at a blazing speed, the Mavic Pro wouldn't have known what hit it and doubtful anyone on the plane would even have heard it too..I'm not concerned about Jumbo airliners at risk of a flying drone, they are plastic and weigh hardly anything and remember high up above the air has large pockets of gases that weigh in aggregate more than a Mavic Pro and planes collide into them frequently and noone ever is aware of these collisions that's because those pockets of large gases have no effect on a jumbo airliner or anything that weighs in the tons...
2019-8-27
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-27 13:31
Yes, I've accidentally entered 2 NFZ's near my house, believe it or not I have 3 airports surrounding me, and I constantly watch for planes and helicopters in the air.

I had one close call with a commercial airliner, when I was flying my Mavic Pro and it was early in the morning on a Sunday where I was photographing someone's house and I took off at a much lower altitude and gave the drone some up pitch to see how  the property looked from high above.

Close shave mate - definitely best to keep that video to yourself
2019-8-27
Use props
Scuderia Rimoli
lvl.2
Flight distance : 922182 ft
Brazil

I once was driving and my girlfriend was holding the RC for me, with the drone hovering the car in tracking mode, with the car at low speeds. I did everything right, including the change in the lost signal option from RTH to Hover (I believe it's safer). However, I had a max distance limitation of 4000m or so and once I have driven those 4km, the drone stopped moving. I was a little confused in the beggining, but parked the car in a safe place and got out to take the drone down and land it. I later came to the conclusion that it was not a restricted zone as suspected, but only the max distance limitation that was set up at DJI GO 4 app.

Is there any chance this was the real reason why your drone stopped moving?
2019-8-27
Use props
Kelisko
lvl.3

Togo

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-27 13:31

I had one close call with a commercial airliner, when I was flying my Mavic Pro and it was early in the morning on a Sunday where I was photographing someone's house and I took off at a much lower altitude and gave the drone some up pitch to see how  the property looked from high above.

Wow! That was indeed a close call. I have chills only by picturing what you described.
2019-8-28
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

A J Posted at 8-27 07:09
That is encouraging to read as I've read a few threads where the drone just lands upon entering an NFZ and there is nothing the pilot can do to stop it - if it now just stops, hovers and RTH then that is a much safer procedure and one less likely for someone to lose their drone whilst not flying into a red area.

In most of my DC-area RFZ experiences, the "invisible wall" worked as described above. But in a couple cases where I flew at the very edge of the zone, my Mavic Pro found itself inside the zone and started landing immediately.

I think this was once because of a temporary GPS accuracy fluctuation in a higher wind environment, and the other time I likely took off before getting a good GPS lock.
2019-8-28
Use props
Kelisko
lvl.3

Togo

Scuderia Rimoli Posted at 8-27 20:40
I once was driving and my girlfriend was holding the RC for me, with the drone hovering the car in tracking mode, with the car at low speeds. I did everything right, including the change in the lost signal option from RTH to Hover (I believe it's safer). However, I had a max distance limitation of 4000m or so and once I have driven those 4km, the drone stopped moving. I was a little confused in the beggining, but parked the car in a safe place and got out to take the drone down and land it. I later came to the conclusion that it was not a restricted zone as suspected, but only the max distance limitation that was set up at DJI GO 4 app.

Is there any chance this was the real reason why your drone stopped moving?

In my case I was indeed about to enter an authorization zone, the blue zone.

Here is the Fly Safe Geo Zone Map

Here is the path I took and where exactly the drone stopped and moved away.

2019-8-28
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ex Machina Posted at 8-28 07:23
In most of my DC-area RFZ experiences, the "invisible wall" worked as described above. But in a couple cases where I flew at the very edge of the zone, my Mavic Pro found itself inside the zone and started landing immediately.

I think this was once because of a temporary GPS accuracy fluctuation in a higher wind environment, and the other time I likely took off before getting a good GPS lock.

That explains it - thanks
2019-8-28
Use props
Edward Smith's Replacement
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1837444 ft
United States

OMG it is a free for all on these streets. How do people not get killed or injured. WOW
2019-8-30
Use props
Brent Evans6
New
Flight distance : 61358 ft
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 2019-8-27 13:31

I had one close call with a commercial airliner, when I was flying my Mavic Pro and it was early in the morning on a Sunday where I was photographing someone's house and I took off at a much lower altitude and gave the drone some up pitch to see how  the property looked from high above.

Dude, really? A bird can go through a windscreen and or destroy a multi-million dollar turbine engine..........Your “plastic” toy will do about the same.
2020-3-2
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Brent Evans6 Posted at 3-2 12:46
Dude, really? A bird can go through a windscreen and or destroy a multi-million dollar turbine engine..........Your “plastic” toy will do about the same.

No, I worked for a helicopter company during a college summer internship and we did a lot of analytical analyses and trust me rest assured your statement was debunked from results taken during many of our tests...
2020-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

David Martin Graff Posted at 3-4 10:10
No, I worked for a helicopter company during a college summer internship and we did a lot of analytical analyses and trust me rest assured your statement was debunked from results taken during many of our tests...

All helis are not tested for bird strike.

http://www.pilotfriend.com/safe/safety/birds.htm
2020-3-4
Use props
djiuser_oYe7IDD5asic
New

United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 2019-8-25 08:15
Hi, thanks for sharing your work with us. The Intelligent flight modes would not support restricted or No fly zone areas. You may check our geo-zone map for restricted area wherein you could possibly unlock depending on the level of restrictions. Please refer to the link below. Thank you for your support.

When you say that the intelligent flight modes does not support the NFA ( no fly are ) but my drone could take off even been at restricted area or on the border line. How can it be possible? In that case what can i do if the drone don't want to obey the controller ?
2020-4-13
Use props
djiuser_ulxDpjRvkhQy
New
Flight distance : 2792 ft
United States

Today I am at the beach and I turned my drone on. I  didn’t get any warnings of any sort and took off and was flying it over the beach for about 5 mins. still no warnings of restricted zones I proceeded to take drone over the ocean and check out surfers. I began to return home and it wouldn’t let me come back in because of geo zone? It stayed in one spot for about 10 mins before dying and falling in the water I tried contacting amazon to get a replacement or refund they said it’s out of there hands. So tomorrow I will contact DJI support idk what to do. It’s like the 6 time flying it
2020-6-14
Use props
djiuser_ulxDpjRvkhQy
New
Flight distance : 2792 ft
United States

Today I am at the beach and I turned my drone on. I  didn’t get any warnings of any sort and took off and was flying it over the beach for about 5 mins. still no warnings of restricted zones I proceeded to take drone over the ocean and check out surfers. I began to return home and it wouldn’t let me come back in because of geo zone? It stayed in one spot for about 10 mins before dying and falling in the water I tried contacting amazon to get a replacement or refund they said it’s out of there hands. So tomorrow I will contact DJI support idk what to do. It’s like the 6 time flying it
2020-6-14
Use props
djiuser_S9o8kysodPsq
lvl.1

Philippines

very helpful.. thanks!
2020-11-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules