Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Freefly-FPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 600892 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

How to Set up BLHeli ESC

The BLHeli ESC is commonly used in racing series drones, and a number of protocols are supported, ranging from Oneshot, Dshot600 to Dshot1200. If you are a novice user for racing series drones, don’t tangle in these numbers. Just remember that: If something suits you, it is the best for you.

One of the advantages of the BLHeli ESC is that the wiring is up to you. After welding, you just need to adjust the rotation with the software. You don’t have to rely on a 50% chance of success as you used to. In the past, you had to change the welding sequence of the two wires, if you’re out of luck. What’s more, the jumbled wiring was hardly acceptable!

The text below will introduce how to use BLHeli Suite for common ESC settings.

Download: Please select different versions of the BLHeli Suite based on your ESC: BLHeli32 or BLHeli16. Otherwise, the connection may fail.

Main page address

https://github.com/bitdump/BLHeli
Download page

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/dx6kfaasyo24l/BLHeliSuite

Follow the steps below to remove the propellers before the drone is powered on: Select the COM port (which will be identified automatically) - Select BLHeli Interface - Connect - Power on - Check the ESC version.

Connect the battery, and then click “Connect” button.
1.png
Then click the “Check” button.

2.png

Among these parameters, the most-commonly used is to change the motor direction. After the ESC is connected and the ESC version is checked, right click the desired ESC serial number as shown in the figure, and drag the progress bar to Normal/Reverse in the ESC setup - Motor Direction to adjust the motor direction.
3.png
In general, after the motor direction is adjusted, we need to check whether it is done, and calibrate the throttle travel. These operations can also be finished in BLHeli Suite:

Click the Motors menu, and check the security statement box. At this time, the progress bar will become draggable. Drag each progress bar or drag the total control progress bar to check the actual direction of the motor. Click the “Calibrate ESCs” button at the left bottom. Follow the prompts to calibrate the ESC throttle travel at the same time.
4.png

2019-8-26
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is great detail - thanks for sharing
2019-8-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Freefly-FPV. Thank you for sharing this information with us on how to set up BLHeli ESC. Great work and thank you for your support.
2019-8-26
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing the tutorial
2019-8-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

very informative, thanks for posting.
2019-8-27
Use props
fans7ef9fe03
lvl.2
Flight distance : 225623 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hello, I have old but still working fine DJI E600 motor I connected to a f7 kakute Combo ESC/Board. I tried to change settings on BlHelisuite32 or on Betaflight configurator... I have problem. I choose PWM or ONESHOT125 on Betaflight. On test the motors are all running at the same speed, perfect. Same when I desarm. But as soon I push the trottle, not all the motors do not run at the same speed... (I am using also the DJI FPV air unit). Any idea on the settings I should have ? Or does thoses old motors are just incompatible ?
2019-11-24
Use props
fans1cd63601
New

France

Hi I have the same problem : as far as i use throtle stick : motors are accelerating randomly, sometimes to max like they will explode.. And i need to desarm to stop them. Also aware of a solution TY in advance
2020-1-14
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

If DJI could just give us the parts to make a properly working DJI FPV racing drone it would be good.  Doing the settings yourself can take way too much time that you could end up missing something, go 100% throttle and it crash.  It would be nice if those people who fly 150mph+ quads give a step-by-step tutorial and those who do freestyle give theirs too.  Those are the people who know what they are doing but a lot of the other stuff goes unseen.  I'd just get worried about blowing an ESC later or something important from running it too hard that it crashes way later after everything has been working for a long time.
2020-1-14
Use props
djiuser_17mTWJ0eF4GM
New

Portugal

Which settings are recommended to change for using the BLHeli ESC in a fixed wing aircraft?

Thank you
2020-2-19
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would add that not all quads fly well with PWM Frequency at 24kHz. I have had to switch to 48kHz on both the 5" quads I built to get rid of bad mid throttle oscillations.
2020-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules