Disconnects & Disappears
896 21 2019-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
anakinz
lvl.1
United States

Alright, got home from a really long first day of school today, I see next to my neighborhood they're doing construction, so I go see what's going on. Take off my drone, it's in the air, it say's GPS error, so I move till it says GPS recorded, never said it (when it usually ALWAYS does). All of a sudden, I check my phone it says disconnected, my drone starts flying off by itself and it disappears. I try going to check logs and find my drone, no where to be found, my $400 DJI Spark (which I thought would be amazing), disappears. Contacted support, they say we cannot do anything, so in all sense, today was a bad day, what do I do?
2019-8-26
Use props
nilanjan118
Second Officer
Flight distance : 636663 ft
Japan

First of all, sorry for your loss. If you would like someone to get to the root of what went wrong and may be even find your drone, you can upload your flight record here and share the link back.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2019-8-26
Use props
anakinz
lvl.1
United States

nilanjan118 Posted at 8-26 15:40
First of all, sorry for your loss. If you would like someone to get to the root of what went wrong and may be even find your drone, you can upload your flight record here and share the link back.

How do I get them onto my pc? I am quite bad at this :/
2019-8-26
Use props
anakinz
lvl.1
United States

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/BYKE7RTZ6AE36HDQR61I
2019-8-26
Use props
anakinz
lvl.1
United States

nilanjan118 Posted at 8-26 15:40

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/BYKE7RTZ6AE36HDQR61I
2019-8-26
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

You started with zero satellites! No HP!
Did the Spark drift with the wind?
" my drone starts flying off by itself and it disappears"

And your altitude was very low,  some trees in the VLOS, RC / phone contact quickly gone, and for good!
My guess, look in the "flight" (?) direction just around the "Farm to Market 1093 road"
Ask at the schools.

Sorry for your loss
2019-8-26
Use props
Codedog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11877 ft
United States

Get ready for a long conversation with DJI, I lost mine a couple weeks ago due to the battery falling out.  Never did find it, they still haven't offered to replace it but I will keep arguing with them until they do.  Be prepared to wait 2-4 days for a response from support but don't give up!  I would go for a hike and look around the flight path for now but the spark is very hard to find.
2019-8-27
Use props
anakinz
lvl.1
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 8-26 19:49
You started with zero satellites! No HP!
Did the Spark drift with the wind?
" my drone starts flying off by itself and it disappears"

The thing is, there was not even a tad of wind. Also I am going to look for it in the area PhantomHelp said it ended. Also about the satellites, usually when it's in the air after about 5 seconds GPS connects, but this time I just bringing it home because they didn't connect, and that's when this whole thing went on.
2019-8-27
Use props
anakinz
lvl.1
United States

Codedog Posted at 8-27 03:34
Get ready for a long conversation with DJI, I lost mine a couple weeks ago due to the battery falling out.  Never did find it, they still haven't offered to replace it but I will keep arguing with them until they do.  Be prepared to wait 2-4 days for a response from support but don't give up!  I would go for a hike and look around the flight path for now but the spark is very hard to find.

Already have had a long one, they're pretty much useless. They make you pay some $65 fee for a "data analysis" and then that's it. So I am going to look for it tomorrow where it ended up.
2019-8-27
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

anakinz Posted at 8-27 03:39
The thing is, there was not even a tad of wind. Also I am going to look for it in the area PhantomHelp said it ended. Also about the satellites, usually when it's in the air after about 5 seconds GPS connects, but this time I just bringing it home because they didn't connect, and that's when this whole thing went on.

Yep, "no ... wind", the speed is , in the end, below 1 mph in your log.
That looks, to me, like having a little wind in ~100ft. so follow the direction/

And I was wrong, with the school, I just looked at the distance for the flight, not for the speed in the last seconds of your flight.
Assumingly you have  to calculate with about 0.8 mph for  8 to 10/11 minutes
same direction like your flightpath.
Which should be 150-220/250m , from the last position you have.
Again, good luck.

I think that JJB* could give you a better guess.
Is he on holiday ? ;-)
2019-8-27
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Oh, I might be wrong, again:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-127549-1-1.html

It seems it will start to autoland, after some seconds of no connection, in case it can't do an RTH
(no HP, it can't, even with satellites)
And then hover over ground, till battery is down or till gets GPS (if HP recorded)

So you probably have to calculate how long it needs from 100ft to the "ground" (tree tops can be seen as ground)

Which gets it a lot closer to the last position, methinks.

somewhere in the next 50 meters, perhaps?

JJB*, someone needs help here!
2019-8-27
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

S-e-ven Posted at 8-27 05:08
Oh, I might be wrong, again:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-127549-1-1.html

Hiya,

last speed in ATTI approx 5.1 m/s.

Loosing contact after 5 secs (can be 3,4,6) Autolanding so from last postion 25 meters further, followed by autolanding form 30 metes height.  = approx 10 secs > 50 meters.

So my guess : about 75 meters after last position.

see my chart.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2019-8-27
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

JJB* Posted at 8-27 07:14
Hiya,

last speed in ATTI approx 5.1 m/s.

Good to see you here!

To anakinz;

JJB* has a extremly good rate, to predict positions of lost birds!

Good luck finding it in the trees
2019-8-27
Use props
anakinz
lvl.1
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 8-27 07:36
Good to see you here!

To anakinz;

Thank you guys a bunch, I am going to go looking for it today.
2019-8-27
Use props
anakinz
lvl.1
United States

Looked for it everywhere in the area, it’s a JUNGLE, my bird is lost.
7B1DB181-C467-40E0-84DB-9A756D397C02.jpeg
2019-8-27
Use props
nilanjan118
Second Officer
Flight distance : 636663 ft
Japan

anakinz Posted at 8-27 09:41
Looked for it everywhere in the area, it’s a JUNGLE, my bird is lost.

Whoa! It will be literally like searching a needle in a haystack. But that's your best bet. You need to find the bird, send it to DJI and hope that they diagnose there was some hardware error.
2019-8-27
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Get a machete and have a workout
2019-8-28
Use props
anakinz
lvl.1
United States

Just bought a new one, gonna still look for old one, maybe with the new one??? XD
2019-8-28
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

That is a good idea!
2019-8-28
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

anakinz Posted at 8-28 16:16
Just bought a new one, gonna still look for old one, maybe with the new one??? XD

Many happy safe landings with the new one!

cheers
JJB
2019-8-29
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

anakinz Posted at 8-28 16:16
Just bought a new one, gonna still look for old one, maybe with the new one??? XD

Good luck with the new and sorry to read about you losing the first.
2019-8-29
Use props
ruudy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 118 ft

Netherlands

anakinz Posted at 8-27 03:39
The thing is, there was not even a tad of wind. Also I am going to look for it in the area PhantomHelp said it ended. Also about the satellites, usually when it's in the air after about 5 seconds GPS connects, but this time I just bringing it home because they didn't connect, and that's when this whole thing went on.

There is your first fault, taking off without satellites, so no homepoint. Did you try a fly back manually or used RTH button??
Also if there is no wind on the ground, higher up there could be.   If you get another Spark, something I do not recommend, put your cell number on it in case it disappears again, so if it is found they can call you
2019-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules