Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone v Birds - 2 Really Close Calls With A Crow And A Magpie
1106 16 2019-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Si_Co
First Officer
Flight distance : 22936 ft
Australia

2019-8-26
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Happened to me recently - didn't come into contact but nearly... Great vid
2019-8-26
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yeah pesky birds do have a habit of getting very close. Crows, seagulls and swallows and swifts seem to be the main culprits.

Nice video, well done and happy ending thankfully.
2019-8-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>

Ive had the same with pigeons,   certainly gets the heart working.
2019-8-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Always scary!
2019-8-27
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Damn close, be careful with those flying missiles
2019-8-27
Use props
Tollytastic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30932 ft
France

I am having  encounters with swallows at the moment which are lightning fast and often appear in only one frame. At least with swallows they are so agile that I am very unlikely to have a mid-air.
Loved the video – well done

Tolly
2019-8-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Si_Co. Thank you for sharing this interesting video you have captured. This is a close one. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2019-8-27
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

today i was being chased by a little bird, not sure what it was, but fairly small bird.  i never saw it on live view but as i got close looked up at my drone i noticed this little black bird very unhappy and unimpressed with my mavic 2 pro...  
2019-8-27
Use props
Si_Co
First Officer
Australia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-27 10:40
today i was being chased by a little bird, not sure what it was, but fairly small bird.  i never saw it on live view but as i got close looked up at my drone i noticed this little black bird very unhappy and unimpressed with my mavic 2 pro...

HereForTheBeer, the few encounters (one with wasps - good footage by the way) I haven’t been aware of the near miss/attacks until I’ve downloaded and edited my footage.  If I was aware I’d bring the drone home.  It’s not worth having a crash.
2019-8-27
Use props
Neo Supreme
First Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

My experience while flying, is that I know that crows are just naturally inquisitive, especially of drones.  They have gotten much closer than any other birds, but they are not aggressive.  So far, they just seem to want a closer look to feel out what exactly this thing (drone) is.  Sea gulls may fly a good distance from my drone, to check it out from afar.  Most other birds get far away from it.  I try to keep away from areas that may have predatory birds, as they are more likely to attack the drone.
2019-8-28
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Si_Co Posted at 8-27 23:56
HereForTheBeer, the few encounters (one with wasps - good footage by the way) I haven’t been aware of the near miss/attacks until I’ve downloaded and edited my footage.  If I was aware I’d bring the drone home.  It’s not worth having a crash.

i noticed wasps seem to hated my spark and mavic air.  not entirely sure why this is maybe its the high pitch sound the props make upset them.  but ya they tried attacking those drone and usually ended in them geting chopped up from going at the props.   
as for mavic 2 pro, havent noticed any bees being annoyed by it yet and tryign to attack it and so far only one little bird chased it, i suspect maybe cuz i was to close to his/her nest cuz i wasnt too far above the trees in the distance, trying to get a really smooth shot where glide barely above the tops of trees..
2019-8-28
Use props
David Martin Graff
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2019-8-28
Use props
ShermanFlyer
Captain
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

Very nice footage. My encounters recently have been with Swallows.  Fortunately they are so fast and small that they have not been an issue.
Fly safe
2019-8-28
Use props
Si_Co
First Officer
Australia

Neo Supreme Posted at 8-28 03:28
My experience while flying, is that I know that crows are just naturally inquisitive, especially of drones.  They have gotten much closer than any other birds, but they are not aggressive.  So far, they just seem to want a closer look to feel out what exactly this thing (drone) is.  Sea gulls may fly a good distance from my drone, to check it out from afar.  Most other birds get far away from it.  I try to keep away from areas that may have predatory birds, as they are more likely to attack the drone.

Neo Supreme, good to know.  I haven’t been attacked by birds but I’ve had a few close calls.  Best to land the drone if in doubt.  Makes for good footage when they fly close!
2019-8-28
Use props
Mullheliflier
Captain
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very nice video. You were lucky the crow did not take your machine out. Crows don’t bother mine, but oystercatchers are a real pest.
2019-8-29
Use props
Si_Co
First Officer
Australia

Mullheliflier Posted at 8-29 11:34
Very nice video. You were lucky the crow did not take your machine out. Crows don’t bother mine, but oystercatchers are a real pest.

Mullheliflier, I like to think that those two birds were just showing a bit of interest, and having a bit of a look.
2019-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules