DJI Go 4: Airspace differences with official Aeronautical charts
1069 3 2019-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Noibla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76086 ft
Netherlands

As a Pilot I have Foreflight on my ipad mini, which I use for flying a Cessna 172. I use the same ipad to fly my Mavic Air. I recently noticed that the airspace that DJI go app claimed to be Class C (Congested) but Fofreflight stated I was in class G ("Go for it"). The map in Foreflight shows an adjecent Class C starting from 1200ft- 3000ft and another class C CTR from GND-3000ft. The Class G I was positioned in using the official maps was from GND-FL055.

According to the foreflight location I'm in Uncontrolled airspace which allows me to fly the drone in accordance with Model Aircraft limitations. However, the DJI GO4 app doesn't allow me to fly there without providing a confirmation "to break the rules". However I'm not breaking any rule with flying in Class G and with the Model Aircraft limitations.

How can we overcome this and get accurate aeronautical maps in DJI GO?

2019-8-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for bringing this query for us. We highly recommend following the DJI Geozone map when trying to fly in a restricted location. If it warns you that it is restricted, I will highly recommend unlocking the location using our website. Zones in yellow can be unlocked in the GEO. If you want to unlock the zones in red, you will need to contact flysafe@dji.com further help. I recommend you to follow our guidelines about the Geo zones to have a real-time update. I suggest you check the link below for more information about Geo zone map. Hope this will clarify your query for us. Thank you!

https://www.dji.com/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=nav
2019-8-28
Use props
Noibla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76086 ft

DJI Gamora Posted at 8-28 12:49
Hi, thank you for bringing this query for us. We highly recommend following the DJI Geozone map when trying to fly in a restricted location. If it warns you that it is restricted, I will highly recommend unlocking the location using our website. Zones in yellow can be unlocked in the GEO. If you want to unlock the zones in red, you will need to contact  further help. I recommend you to follow our guidelines about the Geo zones to have a real-time update. I suggest you check the link below for more information about Geo zone map. Hope this will clarify your query for us. Thank you!

Thanks for the clarificatIon. I found out that the map used by the local authorities for drones is different than the official Aeronautical maps. this is strange and needs to be addressed. Furthermore the requirements for flying a drone under the model aircraft regulation or under a licensed regulation is something that maybe required in the DJI GO 4 app at some point.
2019-9-8
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Noibla Posted at 9-8 10:56
Thanks for the clarificatIon. I found out that the map used by the local authorities for drones is different than the official Aeronautical maps. this is strange and needs to be addressed. Furthermore the requirements for flying a drone under the model aircraft regulation or under a licensed regulation is something that maybe required in the DJI GO 4 app at some point.

You're welcome. We understanding your concern and this suggestion is already been forwarded to our designated department and they are now looking into it. For latest news and updates kindly please subscribe to our official website at https://www.dji.com. Thank you for your kind and understanding. Cheers!
2019-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules