Any method to power MAVIC 2 Pro externally (without battery)
2978 3 2019-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneView112
lvl.1
Flight distance : 107904 ft
United States

I did a search on the forum and either got no hits from a very specific query, or hundreds from a more general one   I decided to just ask the question, and I apologize if it's been asked ad infinitum.

Does DJI or another 3rd party have any plans on an external power source (ac) in which to power the Mavic 2 Pro (or any other DJI drone?)  I've have seen some questions regarding this and people just say "forget about it, use the battery" or something equally as glib, claiming that anything you would need to do before flight or setrtings you need to make and store can be done quickly enough to not warrant external power.

Last night I was working on a rather complex waypoint route.  I was adjusting altitudes and speeds, picking and adjusting points of interests, etc, and the entire process took close to the 30 minutes.  I was making other setting changes to the drone as well (camera and gimbal settings and the like)  It just really seemed a shame that I nearly used up the power (and life) of a battery in that session.  I found myself rushing near the end to rather than just relaxing and working methodically.

Is there some critical function/reason that the drone MUST be powered during a waypoint process?  The only thing I can figure is that the drone's GPS needs to be functioning for positioning accuracy or the like, but if this were so, would it be that difficult to have an external power adapter that you could use during things like this?  For example, if you were just taking your time and going thru the myriad of camera, video, and flight settings to make sure they were all correct on your kitchen countertop instead of doing that in what can be the sometimes distracting and rushed environment of the shoot location.

It seems well within the realm of possibility to make a plug in wall brick (like the OEM charger) that instead had a special adapter that when you plugged it into the drone's battery socket (battery out) it would provide power and other signals to the drone that this is an external power source for offline configuration and setup and only the GPS and any other systems needed for things like the simulator or vision systems, or waypoint setup should be powered; no motors, no CPU functions dedicated to flight and motor control etc.

I had the rather insidious thought that maybe DJI does this on purpose (making us use the batteries) because it furthers the usage of batteries and they make money selling them.

But if that's the case, I hope they consider carefully that I, and many I know, would pay upwards of $50 for such an official accessory which might be nothing more than the idential battery charging unit with a special connector and some simple additional electronics with a Drone firmware update to recognize it.  This is significant revenue as I would think at LEAST half the people buying their drones sold would happily pay this.

Anyhow.  The Mavic 2 is an amazing drone and I am VERY happy with it!  Everyone I show it too that aren't overly familar with drones say the same thing when I fly it.  "They can do that now?  I didn't think that was possible!"

My friend said the other day that he has a fancy and expensive motorola walkie talkie that has trouble working at a mile away, and here I am getting telemetry, radio control, AND 4K video stream in realtime at much greater distance!  (He said it wasn't fair and didn't make sense LoL!)

2019-8-28
Use props
djiuser_jcEUXKpv8ENS
lvl.1

Kenya

Also looking for this solution, did you figure it out
2020-6-18
Use props
KDP +
Second Officer
Flight distance : 947930 ft
Belgium

Good topic !

Any feedback from DJI please ?
2020-6-21
Use props
Trevel
New

United States

I'm looking for a similar solution. I would love to be able to continue filming while I change batteries on the drone, that way I have 1 continuous video that will sync with my other camera angles I shoot. I'd love to simply plug in a power source to the USC-C port on the drone and let it stay powered while the batteries swap. Unfortunately I have not gotten this to work.
2021-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules