Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI FPV manual INCORRECT/OSD issues
12Next >
28143 51 2019-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Charmande
lvl.4
Flight distance : 299459 ft
United States

Has anybody else noticed that the DJI FPV manual is incorrect in regards to the WHITE and GRAY wires? Both DJI's instructions for wiring the air unit and Le Drib's wiring video on the same subject instruct to connect WHITE to TX and GRAY to RX UARTs. The DJI FPV manual however shows the opposite. Speaking of which has anybody else had issues getting the OSD to show drone batt voltage and timers? I have tried connecting either of these wires in both ways and enabling the MSP connection in betaflight. Still I have no batt voltage or timer at the bottom right. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
2019-8-28
Use props
SuperPilot1337
lvl.1

UARTs always connect TX to RX and RX to TX. Nothing incorrect in the manual. I have mine wired just like it says, it works.
2019-9-6
Use props
Charmande
lvl.4

SuperPilot1337 Posted at 9-6 18:31
UARTs always connect TX to RX and RX to TX. Nothing incorrect in the manual. I have mine wired just like it says, it works.

I finally realized that after some digging. It still does not work for me and I'm in contact with DJI support engineers to fix the issue. Thank you for the reply.
2019-9-6
Use props
fansf441f14a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2013419 ft

Charmande Posted at 9-6 21:48
I finally realized that after some digging. It still does not work for me and I'm in contact with DJI support engineers to fix the issue. Thank you for the reply.

Hi,

If you get a reply and get it working, please let me know. Without the battery voltage information at a minimum, it's hardly worth using the DJI gear.
2019-9-7
Use props
Charmande
lvl.4

fansf441f14a Posted at 9-7 12:04
Hi,

If you get a reply and get it working, please let me know. Without the battery voltage information at a minimum, it's hardly worth using the DJI gear.

I will let ya know what DJI says. Sadly I feel like I may have a defective air unit. I've soldered this up to another flight controller (Tmotor F4 FC - which is recommended by DJI for their FPV system) and still no luck. There seems to be a few people with this issue ... very small but it's happening. It seems everybody else is getting batt voltage and DJI also mentioned adding more OSD functionality later so I'd say it's worth it I just hope to be able to fix this problem. Rest assured though if I do find a solution I will post it here. I am getting a new F7 flight controller that is specifically built for the DJI FPV system in on Tues and I'm curious if that one performs any differently.
2019-9-7
Use props
Charmande
lvl.4

Just an update. I have been in contact with DJI and they can not figure it out. I still believe I have a faulty FPV air unit. I have put this system into different quads with various flight controllers and I always have the same issue. I've even tested this on the HolyBro Kakute F7 HDV flight controller that was built specifically with DJI's FPV system in mind. It includes prebuilt wiring to eliminate user error in setting up the DJI FPV system and I still have the same issue with known good wiring and Betaflight settings. That only leaves the DJI FPV air unit as the culprit.
2019-9-11
Use props
Pim
lvl.3
Flight distance : 38688 ft
  • >>>

Charmande Posted at 9-11 14:10
Just an update. I have been in contact with DJI and they can not figure it out. I still believe I have a faulty FPV air unit. I have put this system into different quads with various flight controllers and I always have the same issue. I've even tested this on the HolyBro Kakute F7 HDV flight controller that was built specifically with DJI's FPV system in mind. It includes prebuilt wiring to eliminate user error in setting up the DJI FPV system and I still have the same issue with known good wiring and Betaflight settings. That only leaves the DJI FPV air unit as the culprit.

Hello,

I've buy the T-Motor F4 HD and I've the same issue than you.

I can't see the voltage of the copter.

Didi you find a way to this issue?
2019-9-21
Use props
Charmande
lvl.4

Pim Posted at 9-21 03:33
Hello,

I've buy the T-Motor F4 HD and I've the same issue than you.

I HIGHLY recommend you recheck everything as well as the steps below. If not do not continue on. I've had 2 flight controllers and 1 ESC mess up on me (with NO associated crash) flying this thing without the batt voltage and odd issues with the DJI system in general. I'm not 100% sure they are caused by the Air Unit itself but I've never had this many bad parts until I had this faulty unit. I'm still awaiting a replacement part from DJI to verify my findings. Just fair warning you only get 15 days from the time of receiving it to make a replacement claim. So start the process ASAP!

1. Ensure Configuration/MSP is enabled for the UART that the gray/white wires are going to (more than likely they should be on UART 3 (TX3/RX3)
2. Make sure all parts of the DJI system are synced and updated to the latest firmware
3. Watch this video it explains in detail how to wire up the DJI system and set up betaflight
4. Watch this video it explains issues with NOT having voltage readings and what that means for the system overall
5. Start the return process!

It seems there's a few of us out there with these bad air units and I believe some of them are even inducing other issues into the drone. Just a hunch right now but save yourself the headache and if you've done things correctly than get a new unit. It's not you ... it's a faulty product.
2019-9-21
Use props
cruzair
New
Flight distance : 7657 ft

Thanks Charmande for keeping us posted and I hope DJI makes things right for you!  I'm having the same issue, I have two air units that cam with my goggle kit. I have an Emax Buzz with a Magnum II FC and installed my 3-in1 cable to UART 3 TX/RX and one of the air units correctly displays aircraft voltage/timer correctly and the other doesn't display any info. Same setup, same cable, same air unit settings on both so it's got to be a faulty unit.
2019-9-24
Use props
Charmande
lvl.4

cruzair Posted at 9-24 22:29
Thanks Charmande for keeping us posted and I hope DJI makes things right for you!  I'm having the same issue, I have two air units that cam with my goggle kit. I have an Emax Buzz with a Magnum II FC and installed my 3-in1 cable to UART 3 TX/RX and one of the air units correctly displays aircraft voltage/timer correctly and the other doesn't display any info. Same setup, same cable, same air unit settings on both so it's got to be a faulty unit.

That's unfortunate. Make sure you start that return process. It takes quiet a while. At least you have one extra to test against lol. This whole process made me think I was doing everything wrong but connecting everything is simple, DJI just rushed a bunch of product that is faulty.
2019-9-25
Use props
djiuser_5pqw7dGEwOgh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28127 ft

Same problem here waiting to hear back from dji support.
2019-9-25
Use props
Charmande
lvl.4

djiuser_5pqw7dGEwOgh Posted at 9-25 15:21
Same problem here waiting to hear back from dji support.

I hope you're requesting a replacement. Best of luck and if you got any questions drop them down here.
2019-9-25
Use props
Charmande
lvl.4

Got a replacement DJI FPV air unit today in the mail. Surprising how well things work when you don't have a faulty unit lol. Just thought I'd update this post for anybody that looks at it. Make sure if you're not getting battery voltage, proper range, or ability to change PIDs/controls in the goggles that you first check basic settings and connections but then immediately start a return with DJI. Seems to be a few of these faulty units floating around. Best of luck to all of you and thanks for your inputs.
2019-9-26
Use props
Albert90
lvl.1

Hi,

When trying to select the dji hdl setting in the goggle settings the two options normal and dji hdl jump like crazy and I cant pick one of them, any ideas?

I am using the t motor f4 and f55 pro II; my remote controller doesn't connect to the FC, swapped air unit, didn't change anything, FC is connected the right way with R5 being SBUS, and SBUS enabled and ports assigned correctly. Firm wares are updated and all parts are activated and linked properly.

Cheers!
2019-9-27
Use props
Charmande
lvl.4

Albert90 Posted at 9-27 11:49
Hi,

When trying to select the dji hdl setting in the goggle settings the two options normal and dji hdl jump like crazy and I cant pick one of them, any ideas?

I've never heard of this problem. Is your flight controller already set to HDL through betaflight? Even if it's not it shouldn't jump back and forth like that but I would give it a shot. Freefly-FPV already did a really good post about how to enable HDL in current versions of betaflight, I've posted it below. Give that a shot and see if that helps. Also, I would start the conversation with DJI support ASAP incase it is something wrong with your goggles or something you can get a replacement since you only have 15 days since receiving the items to do so. Let us know how that goes best of luck.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-198403-1-1.html
2019-9-28
Use props
Albert90
lvl.1

Charmande Posted at 9-28 05:15
I've never heard of this problem. Is your flight controller already set to HDL through betaflight? Even if it's not it shouldn't jump back and forth like that but I would give it a shot. Freefly-FPV already did a really good post about how to enable HDL in current versions of betaflight, I've posted it below. Give that a shot and see if that helps. Also, I would start the conversation with DJI support ASAP incase it is something wrong with your goggles or something you can get a replacement since you only have 15 days since receiving the items to do so. Let us know how that goes best of luck.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-198403-1-1.html

Thanks for replying! I tried your method but it fails on changing the protocoll mode in the Goggles settings as this is jumping from normal to dji HDI. I cant find the DJI HDL option in betaflight.

I ordered the FC that has the extra pins for the air unit, hopefully it solves the problem!

I stumbled on a video on youtube, can it be?? (since I am i Europe) https://youtu.be/u0e0mB6EEyY
2019-9-28
Use props
Charmande
lvl.4

Albert90 Posted at 9-28 06:37
Thanks for replying! I tried your method but it fails on changing the protocoll mode in the Goggles settings as this is jumping from normal to dji HDI. I cant find the DJI HDL option in betaflight.

I ordered the FC that has the extra pins for the air unit, hopefully it solves the problem!

I'm not sure if Europe mode inhibits DJI's HDL but you could give it a try. It's a very simple hack to get yourself to FCC (United States) standards. To my knowledge this allows you to change the output power to 700mW (up from 25mW) and have 8 channels versus 4. I'm not sure if it has an effect on DJI's HDL but it's worth a shot. I will say this however, currently I do not notice any difference when operating on DJI's HDL so if you're in Normal mode that's not really an issue too much. I would however do the hack and get that extra power it will allow for greater range/penetration in my experience. Just be safe as those standards are there for your country potentially for a reason. Safe and happy flying.
2019-9-28
Use props
Albert90
lvl.1

I did unlock the FCC but it didn't change anything. Video is fine, but still no controller input. Seems like SBUS isn't working at all. OSD works..

Where is the problem? It's really frustrating, do I really need to buy an additional transmitter for an extra controller?
2019-9-28
Use props
djiuser_5pqw7dGEwOgh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28127 ft

Charmande Posted at 9-25 17:07
I hope you're requesting a replacement.  Best of luck and if you got any questions drop them down here.

Dji support have suggested I send it in for repair. I am  wondering if this is going to cost me.
2019-9-28
Use props
Charmande
lvl.4

Albert90 Posted at 9-28 12:38
I did unlock the FCC but it didn't change anything. Video is fine, but still no controller input. Seems like SBUS isn't working at all. OSD works..

Where is the problem? It's really frustrating, do I really need to buy an additional transmitter for an extra controller?

Seems like your protocol isn't set correctly. I know that if I'm not getting controller input and it's bound to the air unit correctly with serial RX set in the configuration page it's because I set the goggles and FC are set differently like below.

In goggle SBUS - In betaflight DJI HDL
In goggle DJI HDL - In betaflight SBUS

Remember as the post mentioned DJI HDL no longer is an option even in the newest builds of betaflight. The only way to enable it is to go to the CLI and put in "set sbus_baud_fast = ON" with no quotation marks hit ENTER then SAVE. So if your goggles keep flopping back and forth between the two there's no way for you to get controller input because the protocols will never agree with each other. Sounds like a bad Air Unit ... speak with DJI support and a replacement ticket set up as soon as possible!
I'm
2019-9-28
Use props
Charmande
lvl.4

djiuser_5pqw7dGEwOgh Posted at 9-28 14:27
Dji support have suggested I send it in for repair. I am  wondering if this is going to cost me.

It should not cost you. Based on the release date of the FPV system I do not believe anybody is out of the warranty period yet. They may be setting up an RMA for you in which case it will not cost you anything. This is an issue on their end not yours. If you managed to set up this repair within 15 days of receiving the system than it's a complete replacement and will 100% be free of charge. Either way you should not be paying and I would argue that fact as you are not the only one with a faulty air unit. Best of luck and if you need any other assistance post it.
2019-9-28
Use props
Albert90
lvl.1

I have a second air unit, had the same issue...

I somehow managed to stop the jumping from normal to DJI HDL, but even with SBUS in Betaflight and Normal mode in the goggles I have no input from the controller.
2019-9-28
Use props
Charmande
lvl.4

Albert90 Posted at 9-28 21:34
I have a second air unit, had the same issue...

I somehow managed to stop the jumping from normal to DJI HDL, but even with SBUS in Betaflight and Normal mode in the goggles I have no input from the controller.

type in set sbus_baud_fast = OFF into CLI and hit enter then type save and enter to ensure HDL mode is off on the FC
2019-9-28
Use props
Albert90
lvl.1

States invalid name
20190929_093118.jpg
2019-9-28
Use props
Albert90
lvl.1

Ok I managed it to get the CLI command right with the latest  development versions of betaflight and firmware for the f4 FC.

Still no receiver input
20190929_112646.jpg
20190929_110955.jpg
2019-9-29
Use props
Charmande
lvl.4

Your wiring appears to be correct although on the device I'm viewing this on I cannot tell which wire is grey or white lol though no matter because you should only need SBUS to get controller input. Below is a picture of how I have it wired and it works correctly now that I have a working air unit. Make sure for your power where it says BAT 5V CAM you bridge the two left most pads as viewed from this picture to provide battery voltage to the air unit which will be 14.8V running a 4S. Would you mind taking a photo of the whole front and back of your flight controller just so we can look it over. Random suggestion if you're not doing it already but pre-tin your wires before you connect them and it'll reduce the slight bird-caging you have on your connections.

2019-9-29
Use props
Albert90
lvl.1

I had the power directly from the xt60's.

Nevertheless, today the tmotor f4 HD came, that's the pin to pin version, so no space for bad wiring

.... still no receiver input, everything else works fine (OSD, video)

This is my first build and I am so frustrated!
2019-10-1
Use props
Charmande
lvl.4

Albert90 Posted at 10-1 11:43
I had the power directly from the xt60's.

Nevertheless, today the tmotor f4 HD came, that's the pin to pin version, so no space for bad wiring  

I highly recommend you get in contact with DJI support and get clarification on this issue and hopefully you're within your 15 day window for a replacement. Maybe there's something wrong with your controller or there's something we're missing. It seems you got everything connected right and if you set up betaflight with the correct Serial RX on UART 5 and Configuration MSP on your gray/white wire UART all else should be gravy. See if they can help. Sorry couldn't be more of assistance, best of luck and if you find out anything new you should post so others may learn from it.
2019-10-2
Use props
Albert90
lvl.1

Using the HDV stack in combination with the latest unsta level delevopement release version of betaflight got things working... finally.

Seems like not all standard FCs with to solder wires are suitable for the air unit.

Fly safe see you up there and thanks again for the help
2019-10-3
Use props
Charmande
lvl.4

Albert90 Posted at 10-3 17:59
Using the HDV stack in combination with the latest unsta level delevopement release version of betaflight got things working... finally.

Seems like not all standard FCs with to solder wires are suitable for the air unit.

Glad you got it working but promise you the solder version of the Tmotor F4 stack does work with the DJI FPV ... idk why it did not work in your case but either way you're up and running which is great. Safe flying and take care.
2019-10-4
Use props
quiptos
lvl.1

Albert90 Posted at 9-27 11:49
Hi,

When trying to select the dji hdl setting in the goggle settings the two options normal and dji hdl jump like crazy and I cant pick one of them, any ideas?

I have this with the Tmotor F4 made specifically for the DJI unit with the supplied cable. Have gone over everything a dozen times still I have all the goggle readouts, everything see's each other but my Receiver just will not connect to betaflight. I have 2 flight units and same thing and it works on my other build so it has to be something else.
2019-10-16
Use props
Pim
lvl.3
  • >>>
Belgium

Charmande Posted at 9-21 08:09
I HIGHLY recommend you recheck everything as well as the steps below. If not do not continue on. I've had 2 flight controllers and 1 ESC mess up on me (with NO associated crash) flying this thing without the batt voltage and odd issues with the DJI system in general. I'm not 100% sure they are caused by the Air Unit itself but I've never had this many bad parts until I had this faulty unit. I'm still awaiting a replacement part from DJI to verify my findings. Just fair warning you only get 15 days from the time of receiving it to make a replacement claim. So start the process ASAP!

1. Ensure Configuration/MSP is enabled for the UART that the gray/white wires are going to (more than likely they should be on UART 3 (TX3/RX3)

Hello

So after some test with different FC and air unit, I've disocver taht the air unit are defect.

There is now an OSD working in 4s and 6s on the Tmotor F4 dedicted to the DJI FPV system.

I'll send the faulty air unit to DJI for repair under warranty.

Cheers
2019-10-17
Use props
Charmande
lvl.4
United States

Pim Posted at 10-17 07:38
Hello

So after some test with different FC and air unit, I've disocver taht the air unit are defect.

Glad to hear it, hope you get it repaired and enjoy flying in HD. Best of luck.
2019-10-18
Use props
fansa390d7b5
New

United States

Anyone please tell me if DJI digital fpv has OSD?
Thank you
2019-10-20
Use props
Charmande
lvl.4
United States

fansa390d7b5 Posted at 10-20 15:53
Anyone please tell me if DJI digital fpv has OSD?
Thank you

Yes, but not the full betaflight OSD. It will display drone battery voltage, armed timer, goggle battery voltage and that's about it. Supposedly there's future betaflight OSD features coming but nobody knows when.
2019-10-21
Use props
Pim
lvl.3
  • >>>
Belgium

Charmande Posted at 10-18 06:16
Glad to hear it, hope you get it repaired and enjoy flying in HD. Best of luck.

Hello

I'm receiving a new fresh unit.  DJI repair admit the osd issue (PID and voltage error)
2019-10-22
Use props
Charmande
lvl.4
United States

Pim Posted at 10-22 05:00
Hello

I'm receiving a new fresh unit.  DJI repair admit the osd issue (PID and voltage error)

Glad you got a fresh unit that seems to work. Happy flying.
2019-10-24
Use props
fanseedeb9a1
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

Did you find a solution? This is so annoying. I installed dji racing fpv on my tbs vendetta and can’t get any timer or onboard battery voltage. I switch on osd on betaflight and every time I reboot it’s deactivated.
2019-10-25
Use props
fanseedeb9a1
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

Did you find a solution? This is so annoying. I installed dji racing fpv on my tbs vendetta and can’t get any timer or onboard battery voltage. I switch on osd on betaflight and every time I reboot it’s deactivated.
2019-10-25
Use props
fansc86b0d47
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3701 ft
  • >>>
United States

You do not need OSD in Betaflight for the DJI FPV unit to get the data from the FC. As long as you properly mount the TX and RX wires to the FC and set the MSP in Ports setup of Betaflight, you'll see the data flowing into the Goggles.
2019-10-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules