Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
my mavic 2 pro battery is hmm..
1771 29 2019-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i been averaging up my p-gps mode numbers in minimally windy flights im getting approx 22 minutes of flight.   im not at that 10 cycle count yet, im at 6 cycles currently not all my runs at p-gps mode some of active track and a few where mix of sport mode. i havent yet flown it below 10% either so i shouldnt have caused any harm to my battey either.  if i land at low battery 30% (default) its around 17-18 minutes.

so question is:   is 22 minutes a fairly avgerage amount of flight time for mavic 2 pro in minimally windy conditions?  

2019-8-28
Use props
rwynant V1
Captain
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

These batteries are new.  Take it a little slower....... Lion/Po batteries can need some break in time.  Usually 5 to 7/8 complete cycles.

Being new, you should run them to 25-30%  let them cool COMPLETELY to ambient room temperature.  Then recharge to 100%.

These birds will tend to get better flight time when flying between 15 and 25 mph.....NOT HOVERING.  So if your flights have alot of hovering, that might be the reason
\for a little shorter flight time..   I have my Battery A that came with my P4Pro....it has 93 charges listed.   Last Friday I flew a 13 acre mapping mission that took 408 pictures.

Flight time at 19% battery =   22min 40 sec.   I normally keep my maps to 18 min flights.....but I was able to be in the parking lot and in the middle of the flt plan......BTW my 1st low battery warning
is set to 25%,  2nd set to 15%

Randy
2019-8-28
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 8-28 19:29
These batteries are new.  Take it a little slower....... Lion/Po batteries can need some break in time.  Usually 5 to 7/8 complete cycles.

Being new, you should run them to 25-30%  let them cool COMPLETELY to ambient room temperature.  Then recharge to 100%.

i know mavics tend to like to be moving at some speed to have best flight time because the rear props are lower then front props.. atleast thats the theory i heard, and makes sense...i think?  so my battery usage is mostly moving around flying forward at some speed in position mode.  

i dont charge my batteries while they are hot, mostly because DJI blocks charging on mavic batteries while they are too toasty until they cool off, just given double blinking LED until it cools off then it starts charging.  i noticed once starts charging they do feel noticeably cooler to the touch so not just a timer i dont think.

i had a mavic pro (1st gen) and battery with over 200 cycles and was still getting 19-22 minutes of flight time in position flight mode.   but i flew it nearly daily or every few days and was always cycling battery which is what i think kept it alive and working so well, because i didn't treat it very well, discharging it down to critical power fairly often. so i think was cycling it that helps keep them alive because i wasn't doing it any other favors.  
2019-8-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>

I'm getting about 26-28 mins down to 25%.  Difference might be that i'll usually do that in two flights.
2019-8-29
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds a bit on the low side, one of my main beefs with the mavic series is the absence of ATTI- Mode, on the inspire and the phantom line is use ATTI-Mode to check upper level wind speed. It might be calm on the ground but 200 feet in the air the wind might be 20 mph..
2019-8-29
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 8-29 04:00
Sounds a bit on the low side, one of my main beefs with the mavic series is the absence of ATTI- Mode, on the inspire and the phantom line is use ATTI-Mode to check upper level wind speed. It might be calm on the ground but 200 feet in the air the wind might be 20 mph..

very true, especially in areas with alot of hills and valleys because of thermals creating wind when they release (for a lack of better terms).    today was full of thermal cycles and getting breezes around 10 mph on the ground and constantly switching directions.  sometimes from north sometimes from north-west sometimes from north east, pretty telltale sign dealing with thermal cycles when that is happening and no clouds in sky or only high alt clouds.  

i feel like battery life is slightly on low side, but feel very linear still and predictable. i dont feel like i have to get home and land ASAP when low battery alarm goes off like i did with mavic air which drained like a stone in a pond to 0% once got weak.     ill be getting  second battery soon anyway and hopefully battery i get will be little better.
2019-8-29
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-29 00:27
I'm getting about 26-28 mins down to 25%.  Difference might be that i'll usually do that in two flights.

wow that's much better than what im seeing currently.      
2019-8-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-28 19:46
i know mavics tend to like to be moving at some speed to have best flight time because the rear props are lower then front props.. atleast thats the theory i heard, and makes sense...i think?  so my battery usage is mostly moving around flying forward at some speed in position mode.  

i dont charge my batteries while they are hot, mostly because DJI blocks charging on mavic batteries while they are too toasty until they cool off, just given double blinking LED until it cools off then it starts charging.  i noticed once starts charging they do feel noticeably cooler to the touch so not just a timer i dont think.

I’d say once run in and flying normal little sport some P mode, you should get 24/25 with 15% remaining .
2019-8-29
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My flight times with the M2P vary massively - from 19 to 27 minutes. Wind speeds seem to be the biggest detractor - especially when flying aggressively (full pitch in S mode at 400'). With more casual flying in light winds you should get around 25 minutes.
2019-8-29
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 8-29 09:03
I’d say once run in and flying normal little sport some P mode, you should get 24/25 with 15% remaining .

well haven't really done much sport + P mode nor am i keeping solid track of it yet but that's better than im currently getting i can say that.   hmm..   
2019-8-29
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-29 09:10
My flight times with the M2P vary massively - from 19 to 27 minutes. Wind speeds seem to be the biggest detractor - especially when flying aggressively (full pitch in S mode at 400'). With more casual flying in light winds you should get around 25 minutes.

what's weird is with all wind of today, been getting fairly consistent battery life with last few days which been a lot less windy, at-least at ground level.   

one of my gauges for if its windy up high since dont have ATTI mode toggle is to watch time estimate on the top bar.. slowly move in different directions for a few seconds (in position mode) and see if burning lot of time or gaining time, either one indicates enough wind to play a role in battery life.  
2019-8-29
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-29 09:26
what's weird is with all wind of today, been getting fairly consistent battery life with last few days which been a lot less windy, at-least at ground level.   

one of my gauges for if its windy up high since dont have ATTI mode toggle is to watch time estimate on the top bar.. slowly move in different directions for a few seconds (in position mode) and see if burning lot of time or gaining time, either one indicates enough wind to play a role in battery life.

Also check the radar as that gives a good indication on wind speeds which as you know are significantly faster as higher altitude
2019-8-29
Use props
rbtmckny
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8001404 ft
Philippines

I have a Mavic 2 Zoom. I usually get just under 23 minutes flying time with 16% battery left. Depends on wind too. One time I got 26+ minutes on a calm day not exceeding 26 KPH with 35 meter altitude. I wanted to see if I could get close to DJI's advertised times.
2019-8-29
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

rbtmckny Posted at 8-29 21:50
I have a Mavic 2 Zoom. I usually get just under 23 minutes flying time with 16% battery left. Depends on wind too. One time I got 26+ minutes on a calm day not exceeding 26 KPH with 35 meter altitude. I wanted to see if I could get close to DJI's advertised times.

hmm, 23 mins at 16% is similar to what im seeing so that's encouraging,  26+ minutes i have not achieved yet even in calm winds and taking her down to 10%.. so hmm.  well im getting another battery today while im out in that case i think.  
2019-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-29 09:26

one of my gauges for if its windy up high since dont have ATTI mode toggle is to watch time estimate on the top bar.. slowly move in different directions for a few seconds (in position mode) and see if burning lot of time or gaining time, either one indicates enough wind to play a role in battery life.

Although ATTI would be nice (as would an actual wind direction/estimate on the display!) you can judge it using the radar mode.
The radar mode shows bank angle and pitch so whilst hovering its possible to get a rough idea of how much its banking/fighting to stay in place.  By slowly rotating the drone you can also work out the direction.
Not perfect but its better than nothing.
I get about 17-20 mins flight time and land with about 35% battery normally.  Shorter flight times if im hovering or doing a hyperlapse.  The majority of time on my flights are hovering as 99% of the time im doing photos.

2019-8-30
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 8-30 07:13
Although ATTI would be nice (as would an actual wind direction/estimate on the display!) you can judge it using the radar mode.
The radar mode shows bank angle and pitch so whilst hovering its possible to get a rough idea of how much its banking/fighting to stay in place.  By slowly rotating the drone you can also work out the direction.
Not perfect but its better than nothing.

thats similar to what i am seeing 17-20 minutes around 30%-35%.  i have noticed my flight time does drop doing certain intelligent flight modes, POI and activetrack feel shorter then Position mode.  

i didn't get a new battery 2 of best buys that said had one in stock didnt on my way around.  nor did that have mavic 2 props in stock.   i need to replace 2 of my props, front ones because i noticed motors are getting hotter in front then they are in the rear which are mostly new condition in the rear (no damage) indicating that scratches on front props are doing something negative.

2019-8-30
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

update, i did a few "power runs" AKA sport mode primarily used with a blend of position/apas and GPS and some intelligent modes today just to experiment and give it a run see what happens i noticed i got a battery alert for it being low at 3.69V/Cell and land now alert tells me in 10 seconds going to land at 3.60V/Cell  all cells are balanced and i find that a bit high of voltage per cell for low power alerts.   my temperatures are also indicating that battery is not struggling to delivery enough power, high 40C range to low 50C range with all these "power runs"

is this normal that starts kicking in lower power alerts at slightly higher voltages in sport mode than in position mode or is their something weird going on with this battery??
2019-8-31
Use props
Fruxen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1370630 ft

On my Phantom 4 with a high capacity Phantom 4 Pro battery, I consistently logged 20-22 minute flights unless it was very windy. So far my M2P seems to struggle to even break the 20 minute mark. I have about 10 flights so far and they are closer to 17-18 minutes in similar conditions.

Sure I do play it safer and I land a bit earlier with the P2P because I don't trust it as much and push the battery as my old P4 (long story). But still, flight times feels a few minutes shorter than on the P4 when they should be a few minutes longer. Especially since the old battery has well over 100+ charging cycles by now.
2019-9-4
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>

Fruxen Posted at 9-4 02:01
On my Phantom 4 with a high capacity Phantom 4 Pro battery, I consistently logged 20-22 minute flights unless it was very windy. So far my M2P seems to struggle to even break the 20 minute mark. I have about 10 flights so far and they are closer to 17-18 minutes in similar conditions.

Sure I do play it safer and I land a bit earlier with the P2P because I don't trust it as much and push the battery as my old P4 (long story). But still, flight times feels a few minutes shorter than on the P4 when they should be a few minutes longer. Especially since the old battery has well over 100+ charging cycles by now.

interesting, thank you for that... i guess my battery is more or less normal then   today was pretty dang windy in random bursts before it got cloudy finally, i think thermal cycles from surrounding mount areas and ya my battery life really suffered hard today for sure. i got just over 15 minutes, was really burning up battery.

today even my stability suffered, not sure if its just my mavic 2 or if its just how nw drones react to the wind but it was bobbing around alot, i remember my OG Mavic Pro would have leaned into this wind alot more..not sure, its not  big deal though, still very stable and gimbal smooths all of that out.
2019-9-4
Use props
gnirtS
Captain

It leans into the wind well.  Put the radar screen on and it'll show you pitch and roll angles in real time.  It handles wind significantly better than the old mavics or even phantoms.
2019-9-4
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 9-4 10:33
It leans into the wind well.  Put the radar screen on and it'll show you pitch and roll angles in real time.  It handles wind significantly better than the old mavics or even phantoms.

to my eye looking at the drone 10 feet off the ground with a constant breeze my mavic 2 is a bit bouncier then i remember my OG Mavic pro being.  i dont know if its props or IMU or VPS or what maybe making i bouncy for a lack of better terms more "wishy washy" as my GF calls it.   

all that being said in the gusts it handles those well, today had some bursts of wind 20 mph gust and mavic 2 just leans into hat but near constant 5-10 mph breeze it bounces in.
2019-9-4
Use props
gnirtS
Captain

Gusty winds combined with swirling is going to make it bounce.  A steady wind is easy to computer, angle into and stay in one spot.  A gust isnt, it has to notice it, adjust and reposition constantly.
Ultimately like the mavic 1 its a light bit of plastic so its going to move a lot more than a heavier drone in the wind.  But the ESCs/FC do a fantastic near instant job of keeping it in place.
2019-9-4
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 9-4 10:46
Gusty winds combined with swirling is going to make it bounce.  A steady wind is easy to computer, angle into and stay in one spot.  A gust isnt, it has to notice it, adjust and reposition constantly.
Ultimately like the mavic 1 its a light bit of plastic so its going to move a lot more than a heavier drone in the wind.  But the ESCs/FC do a fantastic near instant job of keeping it in place.

my Mavic 2  is backwards then.   because in gusts it leans but in slower more constant winds it gives up trying and moves around more.  makes me wonder if props or imu or vps or something just cant be bothered?   am i doing something wrong or something?

my mavic pro 1 was as you said, gusts make it more bounce, but steady wind just sits there and has no problem, just leans a bit.  which i expect and makes sense.  
2019-9-4
Use props
gnirtS
Captain

Look at the radar display.  You'll see it leaning, pitching and constantly adjusting.
It'll also adjust individual RPMs constantly which you wont see at all.
2019-9-4
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 9-4 11:08
Look at the radar display.  You'll see it leaning, pitching and constantly adjusting.

okay, ill see if the "radar" thingy matches what its trying to do.  if not ill put another spare set of props on, recalibrate my IMU at my workbench and run a vision system calibration see if that helps.  
2019-9-4
Use props
Mullheliflier
Captain
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>

I average 22-24 minutes with mine down to about 15-20%
2019-9-4
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>

Mullheliflier Posted at 9-4 11:33
I average 22-24 minutes with mine down to about 15-20%

ok, so does sound more or less like my battery is fairly average then.   thanks
2019-9-4
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 9-4 11:08

update, did a quick test since winds are kicking up again and clouds are passing, radar wasn't completely matching what my mavic 2 was doing, it looked like radar was indicating the aircraft should been leaning more than it was. so AH HA there's a clue, thanks for the tip.   

so i calibrated my IMU and since had my laptop out on workbench plugged in and did a vision system calibration.. took it back out with same props on and seems little bit better now, matching the radar thingy better .  but to be honest the wind is little shifty right now so ill try again tomorrow hopefully wind will be little more predictable and not as shifty.
2019-9-4
Use props
gnirtS
Captain

Vision is going to do nothing about 30ft or so.
Above that its gyros and GPS only.  Which is going to have roughly a 3m circle of error as opposed to inches.
2019-9-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 9-6 04:32
Vision is going to do nothing about 30ft or so.
Above that its gyros and GPS only.  Which is going to have roughly a 3m circle of error as opposed to inches.

ya but seems since those to calibrations my aircraft is better behaved now with small breezes less bouncy and more leanings, that's probably IMU.  my second accelerometer was green and low value but was like 1/4 inch on bar graph i forget the value it showed now since calibration both at pretty much zeroed out.

additionally seems to position lock itself better as well when its down within VPS range when over pavement that's very uniform and light in color, rock solid now since VPS cali whereas before it would sometimes drift a couple inches around until it hit a seam found something to lock onto.  
i dont know if thats a result of getting a refurb unit i imagine not but, its possibility maybe certain refurb units need to be recalibrated.
2019-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules