Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Lens Cover Tool
1339 18 2019-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ebswift
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10299 ft
Australia

From new the lens is really tight, and there are potential leak problems if it is removed and replaced and not tightened properly.  This is something I got worried about since I bought some filters, I want the original lens cover to be tight and waterproof when it's on, and want to be able to get it off quickly and easily.  I knocked up a quick design that works really well, print it on your 3D printer or send it to a 3D printing service.  Tolerances are tight so be sure to let the printing service know you want to preserve the correct dimensions.

Lens Tool Fitted

Lens Tool Fitted

Lens Tool

Lens Tool

Lens Tool.zip (397.27 KB, Down times: 6)
2019-8-30
Use props
The_Pedro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 155292 ft
Portugal

Great Idea, Thanks for sharing.
2019-8-31
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing
2019-8-31
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Cool! Thanks for sharing
2019-8-31
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

I've not investigated 3-d printing.  Approximately what could one expect the cost to be?  Obviously, a one-off job might be more expensive?  Does the file include the nature of material to be used?   
2019-8-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day ebswift. Thank you for sharing this accessory for the DJI Osmo Action and thank you for your support.
2019-8-31
Use props
ebswift
Second Officer
Australia

ff22 Posted at 8-31 06:05
I've not investigated 3-d printing.  Approximately what could one expect the cost to be?  Obviously, a one-off job might be more expensive?  Does the file include the nature of material to be used?

If you were printing yourself, the cost is maybe 30 cents at the most for the lower cost materials like ABS (which I what I made mine from).  Now that I'm looking the online services aren't cheap where I am, it might be worth finding a friend to print it or there may be a maker hub or library with a 3D printer nearby.  We have Jaycar here where they have active 3D printers on display (you probably have something similar there), you might even be able to hassle them to print it to demo their printer quality.

The file I supplied can be printed with any material though I personally wouldn't use something like PLA given you want the tool to remain robust.

I also designed and printed a quick release tripod mount, this one is in nylon:

2019-8-31
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

ebswift Posted at 8-31 14:19
If you were printing yourself, the cost is maybe 30 cents at the most for the lower cost materials like ABS (which I what I made mine from).  Now that I'm looking the online services aren't cheap where I am, it might be worth finding a friend to print it or there may be a maker hub or library with a 3D printer nearby.  We have Jaycar here where they have active 3D printers on display (you probably have something similar there), you might even be able to hassle them to print it to demo their printer quality.

The file I supplied can be printed with any material though I personally wouldn't use something like PLA given you want the tool to remain robust.

Nice work.  I do remember get a real buzz testing espresso machines a number of years back (g)   Maybe that's why I can now only drink decaf!  I may give the demo an idea a try.  I will check out library, too.
2019-8-31
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Nice one, thanks for sharing
2019-8-31
Use props
ebswift
Second Officer
Australia

If someone wants to experiment with their 3D printer, here is the quick release tripod mount, it requires a 1/4" heat set insert:
Quick Release Tripod Mount.zip (195.46 KB, Down times: 0)
2019-9-1
Use props
ebswift
Second Officer

I updated the tool, it now has an SD card removal tool on the end for those with short fingernails.  This one I printed in nylon:

IMG_20190905_120522.jpg

IMG_20190905_120539.jpg

Lens Tool.zip (391.68 KB, Down times: 1)
2019-9-4
Use props
ff22
Captain

It must be fun inventing these tools and parts.
2019-9-4
Use props
ebswift
Second Officer

ff22 Posted at 9-4 19:01
It must be fun inventing these tools and parts.

It is, I love drawing things that can solve a particular problem and it's actually really easy.  I use Autodesk Inventor which is free for students and education staff, all in the lens tool probably took half an hour of transferring my imagination into the design through 3 iterations along with scaling tweaks to get the fitment right.  I'm by no means an expert at it, the drawing tool is very intuitive.  I can give my students a 10 minute lesson on Inventor and off they go, and the next day they're in with completed designs ready for print.
2019-9-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

Looks cool - thanks for sharing
2019-9-5
Use props
ff22
Captain

ebswift Posted at 9-5 01:29
It is, I love drawing things that can solve a particular problem and it's actually really easy.  I use Autodesk Inventor which is free for students and education staff, all in the lens tool probably took half an hour of transferring my imagination into the design through 3 iterations along with scaling tweaks to get the fitment right.  I'm by no means an expert at it, the drawing tool is very intuitive.  I can give my students a 10 minute lesson on Inventor and off they go, and the next day they're in with completed designs ready for print.

Ah, a teacher! (g)

You even accommodated the grooves in the lens filter - how did you get the measures for that aspect?
2019-9-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>

If you were printing yourself, the cost is maybe 30 cents at the most for the lower cost materials like ABS (which I what I made mine from).  Now that I'm looking the online services aren't cheap where I am, it might be worth finding a friend to print it or there may be a maker hub or library with a 3D printer nearby.  We have Jaycar here where they have active 3D printers on display (you probably have something similar there), you might even be able to hassle them to print it to demo their printer quality.

Nice job,  Id happily print this in PLA,   it would be fine I'm sure. I  print trolley keys in PLA that live on keyrings and they are very robust.
PS Fusion 360 user here
2019-9-5
Use props
ebswift
Second Officer

@f22 more of a lab tech .  To get the grooves is deceptively simple.  I used a caliper to measure just one groove diameter and drew a circle to that diameter on the main inner ring.  Extrude that down to fill one groove.  Then use the circular pattern tool, choose the inner ring as the path, the extruded circle as the feature, then enter the total groove count and it's done.  Later when you need to move it 0 point something of a mm in or out to make better fitment it's just a matter of adjusting the inner ring size and everything automatically shifts to conform (likewise you could adjust the size of the original groove circle and the entire pattern would take it on), that's how simple this is, no need to re-draw if any measurements are wrong.  The other repeating pattern on the outside is done the same, and the handle is just a simple sweep from a larger rectangle to a smaller rectangle.  The SD card tool on the end is just a simple extrusion cut.  All the rounded edges are just applying fillets where all that's needed from you is to select the hard edges to fillet after all the drawing and extrusion is done.

@DAFlys, I had the impression that PLA will deform over time especially if exposed to moisture though I could be wrong.  Fusion 360 is a good tool too.
2019-9-5
Use props
pasyy
lvl.4

If you were printing yourself, the cost is maybe 30 cents at the most for the lower cost materials like ABS (which I what I made mine from).  Now that I'm looking the online services aren't cheap where I am, it might be worth finding a friend to print it or there may be a maker hub or library with a 3D printer nearby.  We have Jaycar here where they have active 3D printers on display (you probably have something similar there), you might even be able to hassle them to print it to demo their printer quality.

2019-9-16
Use props
fans64edc34b
Second Officer

Well that's definitely prettier than my tripod mount and not very expensive
2019-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules