wifi connection between remote and phone
5997 11 2019-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ruudy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 118 ft

Netherlands

Can anyone explain to me (maybe DJI can)  how the connection works between remote and phone, is that a direct wifi link?. And is the link between Spark and the remote a separate wifi
2019-9-1
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Hi Ruudy.

You have it in one.

More detail.

The Spark setup uses two WiFi allocations, 2.4GHz and 5.8(ish)GHz. Either of these frequencies can be used for both the phone to controller link or the controller to Spark link. This is selectable by the user.
E.g. If the user selects 2.4GHz as the controller to Spark link then the Phone/Tablet will use 5.8GHz as the link to the controller, and vice versa.

However in Europe Android devices  cannot access the 5.8GHz channels assigned to the Spark as these channels are not permitted in Europe. This is why many of us in Europe fought so hard for DJI to officially support the use of a USB OTG cable to tether an Android device to the controller therefore allowing us to use 2.4GHz for the controller to Spark link permitting greater range that this frequency affords over 5.8GHz. This is also pertinent for users that use a mobile device that doesn’t have a 5.8GHz WiFi option.

Regards

Nidge.
2019-9-1
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

The RC is  a wifi repeater, from 2.4 to 5 Ghz or 5 to 2.4 Ghz as long the device is connected per wifi to it.
2019-9-2
Use props
ruudy
lvl.2

S-e-ven Posted at 9-2 00:31
The RC is  a wifi repeater, from 2.4 to 5 GHhzor 5 to 2.4 Ghz as long the device is connected per wifi to it.

Ok, so my phone or tablet gets its wifi from the Remote,  but why do I get a video lag on my iPhone and not on my tablet Air.  Is the wifi signal coming from the Remote that weak??
2019-9-2
Use props
ruudy
lvl.2

Nidge Posted at 9-1 23:56
Hi Ruudy.

You have it in one.

Thanks Nidge  Gets very confusing, why my Apple Air tablet works fine without OTG and my Apple mini has a video lag, I find that strange.
Funny that on my home wifi both work fine
2019-9-2
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

ruudy Posted at 9-2 03:07
Ok, so my phone or tablet gets its wifi from the Remote,  but why do I get a video lag on my iPhone and not on my tablet Air.  Is the wifi signal coming from the Remote that weak??

my guess, your phone has many/more apps running, in the background!
2019-9-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The remote controller would allow you to connect your phone via wi-fi and OTG (Android Only) The connection between the aircraft and Spark is wi-fi as well which could select between 2.4gGHzand 5.8GHz. Hope that this would clarify your query. Thank you for your support.
2019-9-2
Use props
ruudy
lvl.2

DJI Tony Posted at 9-2 16:05
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The remote controller would allow you to connect your phone via wi-fi and OTG (Android Only) The connection between the aircraft and Spark is wi-fi as well which could select between 2.4gGHzand 5.8GHz. Hope that this would clarify your query. Thank you for your support.

Thanks for your reply, where can I get the OTG cable,  at your store???
2019-9-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

ruudy Posted at 9-3 01:33

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The OTG cable can be purchased via our dealer that can be checked using the link below. Thank you!

www.dji.com/where-to-buy
2019-9-5
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>

ruudy Posted at 9-3 01:33

DJI Tony: -"(Android Only)"-

You may be lucky that your iOS works with otg, but perhaps it won't.
OTG is offially supported JUST for android. On Sparks!
And there are complains, that since a couple of updates (Go4) ago, iOS and OTG is just a 50:50 change, now.
2019-9-5
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

Sometimes an OTG cable can be beneficial for non-cellular iOS users. With my WiFi only iPad connected to the controller via OTG I’m then able to tether it to my WiFi enabled hotspot provided by my Android phone. This negates needing to pre-download a map for an area and instead allows me to see the mapped area in real-time as and when I need it. Using the iPad in preference to my Android phone also helps with my ageing eyesight and I can be more precise with my waypoint settings and framing.

@ruudy: Any OTG with a USB-A and micro-USB connectors will work. The micro-USB of the OTG connects to the remote and your iPad’s lightning cable plugs into the other end of the OTG cable/adaptor.

Regards

Nidge.
2019-9-6
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>

Nidge Posted at 9-6 00:51
Sometimes an OTG cable can be beneficial for non-cellular iOS users. With my WiFi only iPad connected to the controller via OTG I’m then able to tether it to my WiFi enabled hotspot provided by my Android phone. This negates needing to pre-download a map for an area and instead allows me to see the mapped area in real-time as and when I need it. Using the iPad in preference to my Android phone also helps with my ageing eyesight and I can be more precise with my waypoint settings and framing.

@ruudy: Any OTG with a USB-A and micro-USB connectors will work. The micro-USB of the OTG connects to the remote and your iPad’s lightning cable plugs into the other end of the OTG cable/adaptor.

the "any OTG ..." is good for testing, methinks
But for "daily use", it is to much weight, to much hassle with all the cable, on the RC plug.
In case, ruudy confirms otg ability, I suggest to switch to this kind:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OTG-Mic ... C-New-/222899091979
2019-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules