Can you fly a drone in the middle of a hurricane eye?
1243 20 2019-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Considering the eye is very big, can't you fly a drone in the middle to get some videos and pix of the devastation?
2019-9-2
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I believe not lol
2019-9-2
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Sure but 1st you need to get inside it... good luck!
2019-9-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yes, but ofcourse not when Donald Trump throws an atomic bomb in the eye......
2019-9-2
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

The eye of a storm is (generally but not always) an area of clear, calm weather albeit at a really low atmospheric pressure.  So in theory yes you can fly.
The downside is to get into the eye means the full force of the storm passing over you destroying most things in its path and after a brief period of calmish weather part 2 arrives which is often stronger and wetter and rips apart things weakened by the first bit.

Not all eyes are distinct and clear skies.  You can also get a double wall forming as regeneration occurs amongst other things.

I was (un)fortunate enough to be hit directly by Super Typhoon Haiyan in 2013 (to date still the strongest recorded winds on landfall of any storm in history, about 195mph, gusts up to 235mph).
After a massive, deafening, long battering the eye passed directly over the island i was on so we went outside to the beach and threw a rugby ball around.  It was a "nice" day for about 20mins.  We could also see the towering eye wall from the other side coming towards us so then had to run back indoors and endure the 2nd half (which was worse than the first - most damage happened in the 2nd part).  Then a few weeks with no power or mobiles.

Hurricane hunter aircraft penetrate the eye wall all the time to drop pressure probes and so on.

2019-9-2
Use props
Jimis.M
lvl.3
Flight distance : 754705 ft
Cyprus

I am almost sertain that someone is going to try
2019-9-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day AntDX316. Thank you for the inquiry. I would not recommend flying your drone to the hurricane's eye. The drone can be affected with multiple factors that can lead to damaging or loosing the drone. For reference the DJI Mavic 2 Pro has a max wind speed resistance of 29 – 38 kph. Thank you.
2019-9-2
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10355532 ft
Canada

I suppose you could but then it's getting to the eye that you might have problems
2019-9-2
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

You can always try, but you may not be around to post the video
2019-9-2
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you do, maybe when the backside of the storm catches it, it will get blown into my yard.
2019-9-2
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

besides the at best, questionable legality of flying a drone into eye of a hurricane even outside of FAA jurisdiction where they said no already as has DJI...

the answer is a horribly complex cux it depends on the drone and firmware..  it wouldn't be fighting ripping tearing winds but it will be confused as all hell with pressure and constant varying of such depending where it is in the eye and how high or low.    so for example with mavic 2 pro, answer most likely no, you wouldn't be able to fly into eye cuz barometer is sensitive enough and helps stabilize the aircraft's altitude when there is no visual information below it to lock ontop which wouldn't be able to that high. so would likely send mavic 2 up and down constantly depending where it is at any given moment in the eye with pressures and aircraft stablizing itself.. and may cause aircraft's systems to even crash cuz so much overload, resulting it in attempting automated RTH and may end of the drone as throws itself into the winds..
2019-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 9-2 06:56
The eye of a storm is (generally but not always) an area of clear, calm weather albeit at a really low atmospheric pressure.  So in theory yes you can fly.
The downside is to get into the eye means the full force of the storm passing over you destroying most things in its path and after a brief period of calmish weather part 2 arrives which is often stronger and wetter and rips apart things weakened by the first bit.

An unmanned instrument station in Barrow Island, Australia recorded a new record of 253 miles per hour during Typhoon Olivia.
2019-9-2
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 9-2 06:56

How does the wall look like?  Can you see the clouds moving very very fast up top?
2019-9-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Doesn't the FAA create a NFZ for hurricanes.
2019-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft

AntDX316 Posted at 9-2 16:15
How does the wall look like?  Can you see the clouds moving very very fast up top?

I guess it can vary a lot.
This one was just literally a thick, vertical block of clouds, like a storm.
So think there was no obvious movement other than them coming towards you at 20mph or so.
2019-9-3
Use props
Rieder73
lvl.1

I hope you're not serious? How the heck will you get inside the eye?
2019-9-3
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft

Rieder73 Posted at 9-3 03:09

Very good question Rieder73! Cheers
2019-9-3
Use props
MJRH\
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23825 ft

Doesn't sound like the best idea if you value your drone!
2019-9-3
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106093 ft

It seems that someone tried:
2019-9-3
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>

Rieder73 Posted at 9-3 03:09

You are already in it when it goes over.
2019-9-3
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft

Technically, you can.  Many 'professional' organizations have probably done this or are implementing this approach in dealing with natural disasters.  
2019-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules