Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Mimo App with iPhone XS Max only records in mono in video
3915 7 2019-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans49c1baf6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2015627 ft
  • >>>

I took my new Osmo Mobile 3 and my iPhone XS Max out for a day long trip, and filmed extensively.

I discovered after editing the footage, that the DJI Mimo Application uses an .mp4 wrapper for the video, instead of .mov when you use the iPhone video application, and...
...to my shocking surprise...records only one channel audio with the inborad iPhone microphones.

What?

So, unless I'm doing something wrong, if you use the DJI Mimo application to record video on an iPhone XS Max, it will be one channel mono.

DJI...is this true? Is there a setting I'm missing? If not...can you fix this please?

Thank you.
2019-9-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for your feedback, your concern has been escalated to our engineers for attention, we will keep you updated once there is any feedback, please wait patiently, thank you.
2019-9-3
Use props
Atelier Ritz
lvl.1

As far as I know, Apple hasn't released the API for stereo recording to third-party developers yet so only native Apple camera app can use the stereo mics as audio input.
2019-9-4
Use props
ilboss84
lvl.1

Atelier Ritz Posted at 9-4 05:27
As far as I know, Apple hasn't released the API for stereo recording to third-party developers yet so only native Apple camera app can use the stereo mics as audio input.

I don't even record the stereo exactly, using the native "camera" application from ios but the triggers for the zoom don't work. do you have solutions?
2019-9-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We've got the response from our engineers that currently, MIMO APP only supports one channel audio recording, thank you for your understanding, please continue to pay attention to the optimization and update of our website, thank you.
2019-9-20
Use props
Atelier Ritz
lvl.1

ilboss84 Posted at 9-16 02:06
I don't even record the stereo exactly, using the native "camera" application from ios but the triggers for the zoom don't work. do you have solutions?

You are right. If you you use native iOS camera, you can record stereo but won't be able to use all the zoom, active tracking, etc. that DJI offers. Even the most professional filming app "filmic pro" cannot record stereo audio for now.

In conclusion, I don't think there is a workaround for this issue now, but you may try:
(1) wait until Apple releases stereo recording API to third party developers
(2) use external stereo microphone with a lightning adapter. Zoom, Shure, etc.
(3) prepare a hand recorder that records audio separately from your iPhone
(4) do not use zoom and record with native camera app ("zoom" in video mode is digital anyways so I'd never use it. Instead I use external lenses for wide-angle or telescope shots)
2019-9-20
Use props
fansfe82067d
Captain
  • >>>

I tried recording in stereo with Filmic Pro a couple of days ago on an Android device and indeed it didn't work.  Not all of this stuff is as simple for developers as one might expect.
2019-9-20
Use props
michhes
New

Australia

Sorry, an old post. It would seem iOS 14 now supports stereo audio recording... wonder if/when Mimo will be updated to take advantage

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/avfaudio/avaudiosession/capturing_stereo_audio_from_built-in_microphones
2021-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules