12Next >
2164 42 2019-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jrahme
lvl.2
Flight distance : 169531 ft

Hi all ,

I am new to the Forum , but I felt I had to post my story due to how DJI support responded to my issue .
I Purchased a DJI Mavic pro from DJI online store back in Jun 2018 (order and purchase details at the end of the Thread).
Used the drone for less then 12 flights with no issues up till last Sunday SEP 01.

I had about 9 min of flight time with no issue till when I started descend for landing. Drone suddenly disconnected from Remote and stopped responding.
You would think at that time no sweat , the drone is just above me and will start descend to Home (just below it) location where it started but that was not the case.
Drone took off on its own and there was no way wahtsoever to control it . I initated return to home and still no response .

Drone was calibrated successfully before flight (always before flying it) and had 16 locked GPS where i was flying.
This is not my first drone , had a previous DJI phantom 3 which I used with no issues, so I am not new to this and I like to think that I know what I am doing when it comes to Drone oprations .

contacted DJI support and request (2311179)  was opened where I uploaded the logs and details of the flyaway incident Asking DJI to check the logs and let me know what happened and was surprised for the answer I received.
Pretty much the Support personel told me that I am out of support and there is nothing they will do not even looking at the logs and his advise was for me to go to their site and buy a new drone .

With that being said , I thanked him for his suggestion and politely declined the offer of buying a new Item from DJI store simply because I did not want another 1000$ plus item to fly away within a year and informed him that I would like to File a complaint  because drone is still pretty much new  (year and a month of purchase) and the least they can do is to let me know what caused the crash.

I wouldn't even reach to support if it was something caused by me or a pilot error , however this is not the case here , this is a Software error from DJI that caused the issue.
I always used DJI 4 app and never anything else , Software is up to date and drone always calibrated before any flight ensuring that I have enough satelite to fly and never had any issue with my drones (Phantom or mavic) before last day.

Support Replied back and gave me the lecture that they are sorry .... and selling me the nice words and told me that they are willing to analyse my data for a fee of 65 $ and regardelss of results , they will still not replace the drone .

See I have an issue with this . First , they should thank me for uploading the Data so they can research what happened and try to fix the issues in their drones (apparently lot of incidents reported with Flyaway) , however , they are trying to put fees upfront so I can give up and call it a day.

I totally accept the Fact that I am off warranty by a month, however , I am not willing to accept this if it was caused by their software and they are not willing to do anything to assist not even giving me a reason why this happened .
If I have 1% doubt that this was caused by me , I wouldn't be writing this now nor opened a support ticket , but I don't think this is right .

Spent lot of money on DJI product and kinda disappointed with the Treatment I am getting , at least they owe me an explanation why my 1000 $ drone flew away and stopped responding and they want to charge me for it.

I will make sure that I post this wherever I can to warn people about a company that is not willing to stand behind its product .

Order Number:0011801585390Order Date:06/15/2018 18:07:32 (UTC-5)

2019-9-3
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft

Post the log here.  Someone will be able to tell you exactly what happened for nothing.
2019-9-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>

welcome to DJI support where they cant tell their ass from a hole in the ground most the the time and are the worst to deal with and get this, its considered better then ever been before.. UGH.
just upload your log files here and the community will try to find a reason why.  could be many reasons like battery suddenly got low, a bad calibration of compass, homepoint was set somewhere else for some reason and didn't check it on the map to make sure or drone was legit possessed and took its own life.. or maybe something got flakey over time with wear and tear..some hardware got bad connection like GPS.  the logs will help us find out what

as a side note: personally i do not calibrate my drones every flight, in fact i advise against it as more time you do it the more opportunity exists for it to accept a bad calibration.    i suggest going for as long as you can between successful known good calibrations and move and reboot your drone in another launch location if it asks for a calibration as most likely sensing something magnetic interfering with it, even if you can't see it..

2019-9-3
Use props
jrahme
lvl.2

Thanks a lot , will post the logs tomorrow to the thread and hopefully we can figure out what happened to it

Appreciate the replies
2019-9-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi jrahme, we are terribly sorry for your loss, we understand you would like to figure out what happened, but your drone's warranty has been expired, we are unable to provide the free data analysis in this situation according to our after-sales policy. We appreciate your understanding.
If you would like an official data analysis, it would be a paid service, please keep our support update via email if you agree with that.
2019-9-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>

DJI Mindy Posted at 9-3 20:10
Hi jrahme, we are terribly sorry for your loss, we understand you would like to figure out what happened, but your drone's warranty has been expired, we are unable to provide the free data analysis in this situation according to our after-sales policy. We appreciate your understanding.
If you would like an official data analysis, it would be a paid service, please keep our support update via email if you agree with that.

...dji's sh*tty after sales policy can go die in a dumpster fire...  

let whoever is incharge of these policies know that and that its horribly anti consumer to have these policies... these types of practices that will have customers leaving DJI or mocking DJI.

here is a great example of how to do business and win customers: Volvo, who i got my car from almost 9 years ago and 260,000 miles ago, still treat me like my car is brand new, offering me free assistance and diagnostics and basic services, even detail and wash my car free everytime i stop by to get anything done, even if its a free diagnostics and ends up costing them out of pocket but worth it to them..   my car to them... is genuinely worthless at this stage but they want me to like the experience so much that i will buy from them again and tell others how i was treated and get them to buy from them.   
DJI, you guys need to fiure out how to get on this level and make people love the entire experiance even if they are having a problem. right now it sucks when you hav any issue with DJI products, not just because your having a problem but because DJI sucks making the experiance better for the customer, currently it feels like DJI doesnt care..and they want you to pay them to not care ontop of it and them taking forever a well and i can go on and on.
2019-9-3
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 9-3 20:54
...dji's sh*tty after sales policy can go die in a dumpster fire...  

let whoever is incharge of these policies know that and that its horribly anti consumer to have these policies... these types of practices that will have customers leaving DJI or mocking DJI.

I mean.... yeah?  All manufactures have warranties, and most abide by the same rules as DJI.  Chinese Volvo sells 14 cars in the US per year so they’re hardly a fair comparison to the market owning powerhouse that DJI is.  Also, if I was a betting man, it’s the dealership not Volvo giving you the amazing customer service in hopes that you buy a car from them again.  Still it sucks, and DJI has built quite a reputation on terrible customer service.  The reality of it is,  what else are you going to buy?  
2019-9-4
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4

As stated above, and in the manual, only do calibrations if prompted by the bird/App to do so....
I have not calibrated anything in over 2 years (except the compass on the initial setup 2 years plus ago).
I DO check all the sensor states before takeoff, and in the first minute or two after takeoff, then it's YEEHAW!!!
2019-9-4
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>

Nothing is really 100% guaranteed.  We can't live life totally sheltered.  The sheltered healthy wise end up with cancer too.  Could be rich but then die in a helicopter crash.

Every time I fly I assume it could go down at any moment.  Bicycling and motorbiking w/ trust makes life easier.  Also, driving next to vehicles over the double yellow is also trust.  Anyone behind you is also trust.  If anything goes wrong there is nothing we can really do.
If something goes wrong and the manufacturer tells us to f* off, nothing we can do.  If we live our lives properly for many decades and still somehow make it into Hell, nothing we can do.  We just need to accept things and deal as they come.  We can only do so much to make it perfect but if something else goes wrong beyond our control, nothing we can do but try to move on from it eating the loss as it occurs.

Just accept you may never get a new drone from DJI so either quit the hobby, buy a new one, or buy from another manufacturer.  Personally, the drones have worked flawlessly but I've joined DJI late.  My drones are late 2018, early 2019, and mid-2019 manufacturing date.  I always update the firmware through the PC and refresh it to make sure it went through.

Also, if someone hacked your drone nothing we can do.  I turn UUID for that reason.  I wonder if Airsense has options to be tapped into for remote intervention (not good).
2019-9-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>

It’s very hard for anyone who takes this serious to give you any support unless you can put up your log that will show that this crash was as a direct result of a malfunction hardware or software .
You will always get the fringe lunatics jumping on your bandwagon but you will receive no help from them except to join in the ranting.
I suggest you post you flight log from the crash and there are many who will help you finding out just what did happen.
While they may not be able to help because your craft is out of warranty that’s just life, the analogy about Volvo is just ridiculous, my wife drives a Volvo it’s out of warranty and if she arrived at Volvo tomorrow with a problem and thought they would fix it free she would be laughed at.
On the other side I recently sent an Apple Pencil back to Apple out of warranty, they fixed it but charged me, I expected nothing more or less and anyone who does is delusional.
2019-9-4
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>

Oracle Miata Posted at 9-4 06:25
I mean.... yeah?  All manufactures have warranties, and most abide by the same rules as DJI.  Chinese Volvo sells 14 cars in the US per year so they’re hardly a fair comparison to the market owning powerhouse that DJI is.  Also, if I was a betting man, it’s the dealership not Volvo giving you the amazing customer service in hopes that you buy a car from them again.  Still it sucks, and DJI has built quite a reputation on terrible customer service.  The reality of it is,  what else are you going to buy?

not entirely sure where those statistics come from, specially considering 14 cars /yr would mean they wouldn't have invested in the american market and would have left it entirely..   XC60/90 series wouldn't exist since it only sells in large volume in america and canada. and american volvo plant is producing S60 and V60  and some discussions on XC60 or XC90 being produced in america too..

i see a lot of new XC60s, XC90s, a very few V60s and V90s (not sure why americans dont like wagons), and handful of new S60s and S90s

new volvos are also very premium in both what they offer and cost, if i was to upgrade my XC70 T6 premier to the equivalent V60 and spec it would run me $65,000 for example.  and volvo produces a couple $100,000 exclusive vehicals such XC90 "Excellence Edition" which is both cringy AF name and kind of funny.  as well they make a few Polestar vehicals with T8 performance hybrid solution that optioned out completely can touch $100,000, ironically they wont even wear the volvo badging, just thhe Polstar logo and the Volvo design
2019-9-4
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 9-4 09:39
not entirely sure where those statistics come from, specially considering 14 cars /yr would mean they wouldn't have invested in the american market and would have left it entirely..   XC60/90 series wouldn't exist since it only sells in large volume in america and canada. and american volvo plant is producing S60 and V60  and some discussions on XC60 or XC90 being produced in america too..

It was tongue in cheek.  I own two real Volvo’s.  A 240 wagon and an 850 Turbo wagon. I bleed Swede-speed.  Your  preaching to wagon Mafia.   Screw aerodynamics.  But in the grand scheme of auto manufactures, the pseudo Swedes don’t sell many cars period, and their biggest market now I believe is China.  And as far as premium Volvo’s go, buy a lightly used second or third year car.  Their value falls like the old bricks they used to be based on.  Lol, $100,000 Volvo.  By the way, nice car.  Sorry, for going so off topic OP.  
2019-9-4
Use props
fans114234d4
lvl.2

Sorry was stuck at work and did not get a chance to upload earlier .
Please find below a link to download the Archive.zip that contains 3 files below from the flight . Please let me know if I need to upload anything else

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dDlXSC7pv1jqDBMOUdJakbscjTBnqCw5/view?usp=sharing

Contains :
2019-09-01_18-12-48_FLY049.DAT
DJIFlightRecord_2019-09-01_[18-14-21].txt
DJILog_2019-09-01[18][12][46](180).txt

Thank you
2019-9-4
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>

Oracle Miata Posted at 9-4 09:58
I own two real Volvo’s.  A 244 wagon and an 850 Turbo wagon. I bleed Swede-speed.  Your  preaching to wagon Mafia.   Screw aerodynamics.  But in the grand scheme of auto manufactures, the pseudo Swedes don’t sell many cars period, and their biggest market now I believe is China.  And as far as premium Volvo’s go, buy a lightly used second or third year car.  Their value falls like the old bricks they used to be based on.  Lol, $100,000 Volvo.

i got my volvo brand new back in the day, well not new new but dealer car so i saved a lot on what was basically new only few hundred miles on it.   2011 XC70 T6 Premier, it now has 260,000 miles on it and never ever given me trouble, and mostly original parts apart from consumables like belts and tires and fluids, main exception being a new water pump and i gotten a transmission flush at 160,000 miles. .. everything work, nothing rattles or squeaks or shakes and i live in rust belt of america where roads are chewed up or dont even exist in some spots and many cars after first winter show signs of a hard life..not this.  and it has the real 3.2 liter turbo 6 cylinder engine, not that BS 4 cylinder T6 and beefy auto 6 speed that can really hold power and gearing better than new ones.  
and its the best car during the winter, surprised the AWD systenm still works and is original coupler...  big hill backside of my neighborhood and every year cars get stuck trying to climb it, i see all kidna of nice new AWD suvs sliding aorund being useless some may barely make it on snow tires but still not going straight usually sliding a bit on way up and my wagon just digs and claws throwing rooster tails even as i blast my way up like its nothing, straight as an arrow even pushing and plowing a bit of snow with my wagon if big snow storm getting a foot+ of snow before plows find their way in..
2019-9-4
Use props
fans114234d4
lvl.2

Flycaster Posted at 9-4 06:54
As stated above, and in the manual, only do calibrations if prompted by the bird/App to do so....
I have not calibrated anything in over 2 years (except the compass on the initial setup 2 years plus ago).
I DO check all the sensor states before takeoff, and in the first minute or two after takeoff, then it's YEEHAW!!!

I was prompted for calibration so I went for it .
2019-9-4
Use props
fans114234d4
lvl.2

hallmark007 Posted at 9-4 07:30
It’s very hard for anyone who takes this serious to give you any support unless you can put up your log that will show that this crash was as a direct result of a malfunction hardware or software .
You will always get the fringe lunatics jumping on your bandwagon but you will receive no help from them except to join in the ranting.
I suggest you post you flight log from the crash and there are many who will help you finding out just what did happen.

I just got the chance to get the logs uploaded , i have also the video if needed

Thank you
2019-9-4
Use props
fans114234d4
lvl.2

DJI Mindy Posted at 9-3 20:10

It is totally my fault , I should have read your policies before spending all this money not once but twice .
I will be looking for Alternatives going forward , DJI is off my list , not spending one more dime on any of your products
2019-9-4
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>

fans114234d4 Posted at 9-4 10:13
It is totally my fault , I should have read your policies before spending all this money not once but twice .
I will be looking for Alternatives going forward , DJI is off my list , not spending one more dime on any of your products

well all things considered 2 issues fighting against you here..

1 is you are beyond warranty so even if it was DJI's fault not too much they can do, maybe offer a discount to replace the product at most.  but not obligated to..

2, is issue of fault at all.. no company makes a product will then replace that product if it is not their cause.  DJI does offer a refresh plan which is a halfway step but i dont think it applies once the drone is beyond normal coverage anyway.

i do believe though that regardless of point in time or whose fault it may or may not be DJI should offer free diagnostics service to outline why they believe the drone did what it did.  not offering that upon request is pretty anti consumerist and p*sses me off.. $65 to tell someone it's their fault, p*ss off.
2019-9-4
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft

fans114234d4 Posted at 9-4 10:07
Please find below a link to download the Archive.zip that contains 3 files below from the flight . Please let me know if I need to upload anything else

Here's the report: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/QNL7NGTSLYFWM5DJ7V2B/

At 8:43 you drop into ATTI mode after a bunch of yaw errors which continue through the remainder of the log, and at that point RTH is no good to you and the AC begins to drift. A few seconds later we see a poor GPS signal error; at 13:52 downlink is restored after a 38 second outage and autolanding initiated, and then the log abruptly ends.

Since you were landing when the log ends, perhaps you can find the bird near the last recorded location? Hopefully others more skilled at log analysis will weigh in with additional insights, anyway hope this helps.

2019-9-4
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>

fans114234d4 Posted at 9-4 10:07

Hiya,

At 8m42 your MP was flying at height of 116 meters, near HP (26 meters) and getting her down.
But a Yaw error, followed directly by compass error > into ATTI.

All kind of steering inputs, but looks as you did not know what to do, how to fly her back to homepoint. (use the red arrow in the compass in the app, no pitch/roll at first, but yaw to get the correct heading, than fwd pitch).

At 13m52 in ATTI after loosing contact for about 39 seconds, your MP was already busy with an autolanding. (height before disconnect 122 meters, connected again height 56 meters).
Last recorded position during autolanding [ 43.84062000, -70.06320600 ] at a height of 54 meters, drifting slowly North.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis3.png
2019-9-4
Use props
fans114234d4
lvl.2

Ex Machina Posted at 9-4 10:52
Here's the report: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/QNL7NGTSLYFWM5DJ7V2B/

Thank you Much .
So I can see that the Home Point Updated when taking off and then followed by Home Point Recorded. RTH Altitude:  50m which means drone was supposed to land / return to home point in case of an issue which is not what happened (it was right above the home point and was getting ready to bring it down when I lost control)

Not sure what is this Yaw Error that started reporting 8 m 24 seconds into flight , this is when I actually lost all control , I have video if needed.

Hope someone can Explain what is this error

Anyhow , thank you very much for Providing the Report .
2019-9-4
Use props
fans114234d4
lvl.2

HereForTheBeer Posted at 9-4 10:24
well all things considered 2 issues fighting against you here..

1 is you are beyond warranty so even if it was DJI's fault not too much they can do, maybe offer a discount to replace the product at most.  but not obligated to..

see if they offered data analysis , that may have been sufficient  for me.
I understand that it is out of warranty and all , at least they can check what happened especially it is out of warranty for almost a month and not like 2 years.

Add that the Drone is still being sold at their Site , so they still offer Support for the same drone .
What pi**es me off is they want to charge me 65 $ to review the logs when it is something caused by their Software
2019-9-4
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>

fans114234d4 Posted at 9-4 11:03
Thank you Much .
So I can see that the Home Point Updated when taking off and then followed by Home Point Recorded. RTH Altitude:  50m which means drone was supposed to land / return to home point in case of an issue which is not what happened (it was right above the home point and was getting ready to bring it down when I lost control)

In ATTI mode a drone cannot fly back to HomePoint, you have to do that yourself !

IMU will use all kind of info from sensors and gps data. If there is any 'misunderstanding' between signals than often drone will go into ATTI mode.

cheers
JJB
2019-9-4
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>

fans114234d4 Posted at 9-4 11:07
I understand that it is out of warranty and all , at least they can check what happened especially it is out of warranty for almost a month and not like 2 years.

i agree, should offer basic free service to tell you why your expensive drone  sh*t the bed.

additionally, the log here just looked at it and JJB's post as well (he's really good with this stuff and has his own application for reading and showing what happens) .   can't say for sure but my instinct is that the cause of the crash/missing mavic pro is pilot error, you didn't know how to fly atti mode.  but what caused atti mode/all the errors. that i cant explain.. that could be a bad calibration that i spoke about or could been something else that took compass and IMU down and even freaked out the GPS..
2019-9-4
Use props
fans114234d4
lvl.2

JJB* Posted at 9-4 11:02
Hiya,

At 8m42 your MP was flying at height of 116 meters, near HP (26 meters) and getting her down.

Thank you Very much for the detailed analysis .
when i Lost control , I saw it switching to ATTI mode but even that did not give me any control , even when I attempted to bring it down (and I had visual on it as it was above me) also did not result in any success , IT drifted slowly before I totally lost it .

Thank you Again for your help , at least That Tells me that Something happened with the drone even pressing the Return to home was completely useless .

Regards
2019-9-4
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer

fans114234d4 Posted at 9-4 11:07

I understand your frustration, but fwiw, if you took your car to a garage you'd be expected to pay for the mechanic's time to take a look at your problem, right?
2019-9-4
Use props
fans114234d4
lvl.2

I guess I owe you guys 65$
2019-9-4
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>

fans114234d4 Posted at 9-4 11:13
when i Lost control , I saw it switching to ATTI mode but even that did not give me any control , even when I attempted to bring it down (and I had visual on it as it was above me) also did not result in any success , IT drifted slowly before I totally lost it .

atti mode when there is a major error flies extremely differant from any other mode.. even flies differant from an atti mode toggle on phantoms and inspires which still stabilizing the aircraft to some minimal degree.    when there is this many errors and IMU and Compass appear compromised, atti mode in these conditions is basically like flying the worst feeling FPV drone, its still doable but not easy by any measure.
2019-9-4
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer

Thank you Much .

Unfortunately, once you are in ATTI mode RTH won't function.
2019-9-4
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer

Thank you Much .

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe "yaw errors" are logged when the compass and IMU do not agree with each other. At some point that disagreement leads to dropping into ATTI mode since the Mavic's inputs can no longer be trusted.
2019-9-4
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>

fans114234d4 Posted at 9-4 11:13
when i Lost control , I saw it switching to ATTI mode but even that did not give me any control , even when I attempted to bring it down (and I had visual on it as it was above me) also did not result in any success , IT drifted slowly before I totally lost it .

Yep, i read in the DAT file ;

fusion.gps yaw err. result: fail for same index.
imu error because of this.
into ATTI

What excacly causes these errors, oops hard to tell.

As far i can see your drone reacted to your stick inputs,  
difficult to bring her down as you said; but i see more up than down stick in ATTI.

BTW  'thanks' to your log we know now that a MP will do an autolanding in ATTI after loosing connection to the RC (for a SPARK we knew that already)

cheers
JJB

2019-9-4
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>

Ex Machina Posted at 9-4 11:30
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe "yaw errors" are logged when the compass and IMU do not agree with each other. At some point that disagreement leads to dropping into ATTI mode since the Mavic's inputs can no longer be trusted.

i believe you are correct.   once aircraft drops down into ATTI from such errors it only trust user commanded inputs, not its own.   
2019-9-4
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>

agree, but not always are the errors logged at the correct time. So or a YAW errors goes weird and after that a compass error will pop-up too, or a compass errror is first and YAW follows.

And ofcourse DJI is not  always correct with their messages, in this flight the following msg
is shown "IMU heading error. Please restart the aircraft"

Uhh, DJI....   'i am flying at 120 meters height in ATTI !! [help.....] Restart aircraft??" Why not give the msg "IMU error, land ASAP !"

cheers
JJB
2019-9-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>

That’s exactly what happens, then gps is dropped in favor of compass, and craft goes into atti mode, IMU is on a different heading to compass and this is why we always see the same warnings, IMU Heading is off, this yaw and compass problem can be picked up on the ground but not show until well into the flight and mavic 1 is very much prone to this .
2019-9-4
Use props
fans114234d4
lvl.2

Ex Machina Posted at 9-4 11:15
I understand your frustration, but fwiw, if you took your car to a garage you'd be expected to pay for the mechanic's time to take a look at your problem, right?

Sure , but let me tell you how a true story explains what makes a better corporate over another.

I bought a Toyota Rav4 brand new back in 2013 for my wife , Totota 5 years or 60 000 miles powertrain .
at 67 000 miles passed my warranty , we had an issue with the Torque converter and first thing dealer told me is that I need to shed 4000$ for new torque .
With that being said , a Torque converter should not go bad on a Toyota and certainly not at 67 000 miles ,so I filed a complaint .

Toyota had a special mechanic diagnose the car and confirmed that this is something faulty (there was no recall for this issue) and agreed to cover all the fees which they did .
After couple of weeks , they sent me a letter apologising with a Sticker to put on my car that extends the warranty to 150 000 miles .

Now that is what I call a company that stands behind their product and guess what , I now Own a Tundra and a camry in addition to the RAV 4 .

For that , I will never be buying any DJI products and I will be looking for alternatives and I will make sure to spread the word about my experience with DJI
2019-9-4
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft

This sure has the smell of a bad compass calibration before takeoff.  By bad, I mean it may have been calibrated in an area that was not clear of magnetic interference.  If it tells you to calibrate the compass, the first thing to do is take it somewhere else, completely away from any metal objects (including things buried underground).  Bad compass calibration has been linked to many of the wild taking off of drones in this forum.
2019-9-4
Use props
fans114234d4
lvl.2

So looks like dji saw this thread and decided to open an escalated case to look into this.
Got a phone call last day from them and explained what happened . The guy had me sync in the flight records to their servrer to have his eng look into it.
2 days later (today) I received the below email , not sure if they looked into the data and they had no idea what happened or saw something they don't want us to know about

Hi Joseph,

I hope you find this email well.

I'm sending you this email in regards to your request to analyze the flight you had that caused the accident with your drone. I requested our relevant team if we can do that and provide you the result, however, they advised that you still need to pay the $65 fee to send you the result of it. As we discussed over the phone last time, some of the people on forums provided some analysis on the flight that you had.

Again, apologized if we cannot provide you the analysis report.

Thank you for understanding and for choosing DJI
2019-9-12
Use props
djiuser_IJ7oTXK2Xt8l
lvl.2

fans114234d4 Posted at 9-12 17:02
So looks like dji saw this thread and decided to open an escalated case to look into this.
Got a phone call last day from them and explained what happened . The guy had me sync in the flight records to their servrer to have his eng look into it.
2 days later (today) I received the below email , not sure if they looked into the data and they had no idea what happened or saw something they don't want us to know about

It sounds like they're just repeating what you were already told, that if you want them to analyze the log, it'll cost you $65.
2019-9-12
Use props
fans114234d4
lvl.2

djiuser_IJ7oTXK2Xt8l Posted at 9-12 17:47
It sounds like they're just repeating what you were already told, that if you want them to analyze the log, it'll cost you $65.

This is a new ticket they opened on their own , and they had me upload the data , why would they ask for data and after 2 days giving me the same lecture ?
2019-9-12
Use props
djiuser_IJ7oTXK2Xt8l
lvl.2

fans114234d4 Posted at 9-12 17:50
This is a new ticket they opened on their own , and they had me upload the data , why would they ask for data and after 2 days giving me the same lecture ?

I think you already mostly explained it yourself: Mindy or one of the other DJI employees on the forum saw your comment, sent a request to have someone look at the log again, another employee like a manager saw the request and decided not to provide the analysis for free since your warranty expired. The employees on here are nice and try to be helpful, but I don't get the sense that they have a lot of authority to make decisions about how to handle cases like this.
2019-9-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules