Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How long is your attention span when viewing tech expainer videos
12Next >
1641 52 2019-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

Assuming you have an interest in the subject on offer and the video has genuine information or a valid point and not just clickbait for someone on YouTube, how many of you watch or have an interest in these things? How long on average would you be prepared to watch such content? Is presentation and fluidity key to your engagement? should it be planned or off the cuff if competent?
I ask because some videos I find posted are obvious clickbait and not really that useful or go on too long. Or maybe it's me thinking they are pure clickbait.
What do you think?

Sometimes because a point doesn't seem to be being made I stop watching before the video is finished.

I don't mind opinions or waffle is the person seems genuine. I understand doing anything to camera takes some nerve and confidence.  

I don't mind people making money off of YouTube.
But some things put me off if a video seems too long for the point being made.

What puts you off watching such content?
Is the length of a video  a barrier to watching?
The reason behind this poll is for me to try different formats for you to criticise at how they are handled.

Single SelectVote, Total 18 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

5.56% (1)
16.67% (3)
5.56% (1)
16.67% (3)
55.56% (10)
0.00% (0)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2019-9-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>

One of the statistics that youtube give you is the average watch time of the video.  It might give to some insight on what people are actually doing rather than they think they do.
2019-9-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

DAFlys Posted at 9-5 04:39
One of the statistics that youtube give you is the average watch time of the video.  It might give to some insight on what people are actually doing rather than they think they do.

Appreciate your thoughts but that is an average watch time that could be a few people watching the whole way through and a lot more turning off after a short time.
Also, I don't currently have videos of this genre for statistical analysis.
I would also like a few people to perhaps give comments as to what puts them off.
For instance. If they can't watch ugly men, I may as well stop before I start
2019-9-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
Captain
  • >>>

If it's well presented, well researched, and has some hope of teaching me something new or necessary, then I don't mind watching all through.  One of the key things for me is to have the feeling that the video is about the subject and not about the presenter.  And I like videos which treat me like an intelligent person.  Some seem to be made by idiots who think everyone else is an idiot and presents it with that attitude showing.

I'm not at all sure that the few videos I have put on YT meet my own standards in the slightest degree.  It's one thing to know what should be aimed at, antother thing to actually achieve that!
2019-9-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

fansfe82067d Posted at 9-5 06:23
If it's well presented, well researched, and has some hope of teaching me something new or necessary, then I don't mind watching all through.  One of the key things for me is to have the feeling that the video is about the subject and not about the presenter.  And I like videos which treat me like an intelligent person.  Some seem to be made by idiots who think everyone else is an idiot and presents it with that attitude showing.

I'm not at all sure that the few videos I have put on YT meet my own standards in the slightest degree.  It's one thing to know what should be aimed at, antother thing to actually achieve that!

100% agree with both statements.
2019-9-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi Ray. Thanks for sharing this poll for us. Also, hope that you could get the best suggestions from our valued DJI members here in Forum. Thank you for your support!
2019-9-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

Depends on the content and how it is presented - typically ten minutes
2019-9-5
Use props
David_Harry
Captain

No longer than 1 minute, these things are just dead boring

Only kidding. I'll watch very long videos as long as it's got technical fact and it's not some tool who either knows very little about the subject to hand or who is spouting pure conjecture.

There are far too many idiots on YouTube trying to pass themselves off as something they aren't, and with obviously no professional experience what so ever.  The problem with that is that others repeat what they say and that's very dangerous as it leads to technical fact taking second place to a big pile of BS.

When I review something and despite the fact that I'll already know the technical aspects, I always do preliminary test videos that allow me to make sure that things are as they should be. These videos are usually just meant for myself, although sometimes I put them live as the results may help others.  Then I'll do a 'so called' proper video based on actual use of the thing at hand.

For instance. I've recently done a simple microphone modification and while I know everything technically about the modification, it doesn't necessarily mean that the mic will work exactly as I expect. So I do at least a couple of prelim videos so I know that when it comes to real world use and my final YouTube video, I will show what the mic can and can't do.

Here's an example of my first prelim for this build.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-9-5
Use props
Fat Controller
Captain
Flight distance : 155246 ft
  • >>>

You can usually tell shortly after the video starts whether it's going to be useful or not. If it's one of those where the speaker launches into a whole 'like & subscribe' spiel I'll generally skim through to see if there is any worthwhile or useful content and if not I'll move on. In cases where the speaker is interesting and informative I'll watch through to the end even it's a long video. My preference is for speakers who add a little humour into otherwise dry proceedings.
2019-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

It does depend if I really want to know what is being shown.
BUT
Most of the time it is a lot (I mean a LOT) of talking and not much interesting going on.
2019-9-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

David_Harry Posted at 9-5 09:45
No longer than 1 minute, these things are just dead boring

Only kidding. I'll watch very long videos as long as it's got technical fact and it's not some tool who either knows very little about the subject to hand or who is spouting pure conjecture.

Hi David.
Ha! I've already watched your lastest vids
You need to move down south. There's less rain here
I don't tend to repeat other peoples mistakes as I'm more than capable of making my own in my own unique way. I'm not going to be technical in the way you are David. I won't be reviewing individual items but more along the lines of DIY fixes or alterations for easier use or trying to find solutions and workarounds for existing problems.
I respect what you do as you know but thinking not so much of what's new but what can be done on a budget or using stuff you may be tempted to stop using thinking it's past its best.
2019-9-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

Fat Controller Posted at 9-5 10:24
You can usually tell shortly after the video starts whether it's going to be useful or not. If it's one of those where the speaker launches into a whole 'like & subscribe' spiel I'll generally skim through to see if there is any worthwhile or useful content and if not I'll move on. In cases where the speaker is interesting and informative I'll watch through to the end even it's a long video. My preference is for speakers who add a little humour into otherwise dry proceedings.

Good points.
I'm usually funny on a one to one, face to face, engagement but have forgotten the importance of it for vlogging even though I enjoy it myself. Thank you for the input.
2019-9-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

Montfrooij Posted at 9-5 10:28
It does depend if I really want to know what is being shown.
BUT
Most of the time it is a lot (I mean a LOT) of talking and not much interesting going on.

Agreed. I think some people are afraid to shorten their takes or are not sure what to reject, or worried about visual continuity. Perhaps it doesn't even occur to them as they are engrossed in other aspects they find important. It is difficult to know how long to let a clip run for or how to present an aspect that may not be that important to others.
2019-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-5 10:52
Agreed. I think some people are afraid to shorten their takes or are not sure what to reject, or worried about visual continuity. Perhaps it doesn't even occur to them as they are engrossed in other aspects they find important. It is difficult to know how long to let a clip run for or how to present an aspect that may not be that important to others.

Usually (not always), I want to find out something or learn something about a subject.
Not listen to a lot of storytelling.
Not sure why they do that.
2019-9-5
Use props
David_Harry
Captain

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-5 10:37
Hi David.
Ha! I've already watched your lastest vids
You need to move down south. There's less rain here

Hi Ray.

The one thing that I can say for sure is that you can’t please everyone. I’d just get on and do what it is that you want to do and just get a feel for it as you go along.

There’s also a massive difference between being a small YouTuber and a big one. Being a small YouTuber you have to be careful about how much production time you put into any video. People will say it’s about the production, I can say from experience being a small YoUTuber, that’s simply not the case. As long as you have a baseline production value, it’s the message that’s the most important. Therefore, the more content with something to say, the better.

Big YouTubers can even just do one or two videos a week, which means more time for post production and making it all look flashy. This is great when you’ve already got a big subscriber base, as they’ll watch the content anyway.

The most important thing is to just ‘do it’ and stay focused on what you want to do rather than second guessing what the viewer wants. And don’t get all bent out of shape looking at your stats, it’ll just depress you

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-9-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

David_Harry Posted at 9-5 11:04
Hi Ray.

The one thing that I can say for sure is that you can’t please everyone. I’d just get on and do what it is that you want to do and just get a feel for it as you go along.

Hi David.

This may sound odd but I have no interest in YouTube beyond it being a video hosting site. My goals are quite different and I'm only on YouTube because of the limitations of other hosting sites. For me, it will be more about production and presentation (at least while I work out what I can and can't do) as well as content, but based on limitations for those trying to do more with less. At least that will be the point of the videos.
I only ever do what interests me. If I didn't I would lose interest. I doubt I'll manage a video every two weeks regardless and I'm not chasing numbers but rather challenging myself. But for me personally, I need a baseline to work to or I will get lost in my own creations, hence this post.

[Edit]

What Me Worry?  
2019-9-5
Use props
David_Harry
Captain

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-5 11:27
Hi David.

This may sound odd but I have no interest in YouTube beyond it being a video hosting site. My goals are quite different and I'm only on YouTube because of the limitations of other hosting sites. For me, it will be more about production and presentation (at least while I work out what I can and can't do) as well as content, but based on limitations for those trying to do more with less. At least that will be the point of the videos.

Hi Ray.

Where are the videos going to be shown?

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-9-5
Use props
ChrisJG
Captain
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>

If the explainer is excellent, as an example of someone not on here, Jeven Dovey's videos are superb, taught me lots about the Spark and Air. Worth every minute of the time to watch...those pushing their affiliate links for filters etc, I hit the close as soon as they are rumbled!
2019-9-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

David_Harry Posted at 9-5 11:52
Hi Ray.

Where are the videos going to be shown?

Whatever forums I think will find interest in a particular subject but maybe no forums at all. As I said, at present this is purely an exercise for me to improve various production and personal skills and see reactions. Obviously, I hope some people either find them informative or useful or there would be little point in trying. I have lots of personal reasons for doing this with one of them being am I really getting the video bug and is this the direction I want to move in to keep me busy in future or should I stick with photography or do both? Can I learn lessons from one that I can apply to the other? I've done well with my photography but I'm getting stale and possibly need a break from some aspects of it. I need to think in new directions and get some form of discipline into the video side of things. If only to learn to look at my stills work from a new angle.
2019-9-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

ChrisJG Posted at 9-5 12:08
If the explainer is excellent, as an example of someone not on here, Jeven Dovey's videos are superb, taught me lots about the Spark and Air. Worth every minute of the time to watch...those pushing their affiliate links for filters etc, I hit the close as soon as they are rumbled!

This is the problem.
You can't blame people from trying to make money from anything they do. In fact, it's probably a good thing for some to aim for but the world of the successful YouTuber is more than I care to encounter.
Like you, I like informative and concise content and don't care about why it's there (monetised or not) but can be turned off of content on occasion by prolonged viewing when not much is being learned or thought-provoking if being asked to assess another's thoughts or convictions on a given subject.

Now I'm rambling
2019-9-5
Use props
David_Harry
Captain

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-5 12:14
Whatever forums I think will find interest in a particular subject but maybe no forums at all. As I said, at present this is purely an exercise for me to improve various production and personal skills and see reactions. Obviously, I hope some people either find them informative or useful or there would be little point in trying. I have lots of personal reasons for doing this with one of them being am I really getting the video bug and is this the direction I want to move in to keep me busy in future or should I stick with photography or do both? Can I learn lessons from one that I can apply to the other? I've done well with my photography but I'm getting stale and possibly need a break from some aspects of it. I need to think in new directions and get some form of discipline into the video side of things. If only to learn to look at my stills work from a new angle.

Hi Ray.

Bearing in mind what you’ve said, you’re likely to be using YouTube to host the files regardless of the forum they are intended for. That being the case, you could also do with bearing YouTube in mind as well, for a platform for your outputs. I only suggest this as you may pick up viewes from YouTube users who may otherwise not get to see your videos elsewhere. Plus, if YouTube is at least your video hosting service, there’s technical stuff to bear in mind.

I’m just a finishing off a video for YouTube, hopefully for tonight. It’s about comparing the speed for two different encoder engines for final delivery outputs. You may find this interesting as it will tie in with the final stage of what you have in mind, the delivery. I’ll post the video on this forum in case it’s of use to others.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-9-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

David_Harry Posted at 9-5 13:16
Hi Ray.

Bearing in mind what you’ve said, you’re likely to be using YouTube to host the files regardless of the forum they are intended for. That being the case, you could also do with bearing YouTube in mind as well, for a platform for your outputs. I only suggest this as you may pick up viewes from YouTube users who may otherwise not get to see your videos elsewhere. Plus, if YouTube is at least your video hosting service, there’s technical stuff to bear in mind.

That could be useful David.
I will certainly give it a look.
Also, thanks for your advice with my new PC build. I think I'll have it up and running by Christmas.
Nice motherboard choice by the way.
2019-9-5
Use props
David_Harry
Captain

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-5 13:27
That could be useful David.
I will certainly give it a look.
Also, thanks for your advice with my new PC build. I think I'll have it up and running by Christmas.

2019-9-5
Use props
Curt1591
Captain

There are a lot of variables - subject, complexity of subject, quality of presentation, ..., etc.

As soon as I sense narcissism, I'm gone.
2019-9-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
Captain
  • >>>

Somewhere above, someone mentioned that it can be difficult to know what to cut out.  I know I'm very bad at that in respect of more creative videos - even I would call them "paint dryers" (that is to say, watching paint dry would be more interesting).  Two or three minutes is enough for most things unless a real story is being told.

When it comes to tech videos, I think I'm much more focussed - I usually simply want to share something that I'm doing that others might be thinking of doing, and I'll show that with no spoken dialog, just some explanatory titles.  And I only put them on YouTube if I have something to say.  I wouldn't dream of trying to upload on schedule.  Maybe now it will be months before I do anything worth sharing.  I have no desire to develop a following or personal brand.
One constraint here is that when uploading, our home network grinds to a halt for some reason.  So there's family pressure on me to keep uploads to the minimum!
2019-9-5
Use props
Tide
Captain

I enjoy watching tech youtubers’ product presentation and review videos and have been following hundreds of them for many years.

Now I am kinda feel confident to tell if the presenter have done proper research and have some intriguing perspective with in 10 secs into the video. If feel something shallow, I jump to 2/3 of video to see if they have a conclusion and if it convince me otherwise out of video. So my focus span is 10 seconds.

When I am interested to a certain tech, I watch not just one but at least 10 videos of same subject to see if I can find something or someone can teach me a depth into the subject or a needed perspective to digest the subject. It is a fun process.

Once the presenter bring in intriguing view or perspective to even plain spec sheet read out, I remain watching 10~35 mins to enjoy their argument.
2019-9-6
Use props
Curt1591
Captain

Although I've picked up some great info from many of his videos, after reading the accompanying post, I didn't even start this one!

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D593%26typeid%3D593

2019-9-6
Use props
David_Harry
Captain

Curt1591 Posted at 9-6 03:16
Although I've picked up some great info from many of his videos, after reading the accompanying post, I didn't even start this one!

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D593%26typeid%3D593

Hi Curt.

I wouldn't let the extra info put you off, that stuff is is just for geeky types who are interested in more tech nonsense to do with the codecs and methods.

The video itself is quite focused about just the point of the speed test.

The only problem with videos like this one is that you don't know the technical abilities of those watching, this is why they have to contain a certain amount of detail, just so that there's context and technical explanation for the subject matter.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-9-6
Use props
Neo Supreme
First Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft

I do podcasts and have the video portion up on Youtube.  I know my topics aren't everyone's cup of tea, though I look to share insights on development, growth and thinking.  I usually try to keep them around 30 minutes or less.  I'm also about to do exposure segments, along with some tech segments too.  One of my friends has some good product reviews on electric skateboards that he does really well, that I helped with  aerial and some ground footage on. (video below)

2019-9-6
Use props
David_Harry
Captain

Hi.

If that video would have been a lot longer I'd still have watched it right the way through, and I'm not even into electric boards. If I were into such things I'd find the technical and real world experience information in that video massively helpful.

Excellent video and presentation.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-9-6
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

Curt1591 Posted at 9-5 16:08
There are a lot of variables - subject, complexity of subject, quality of presentation, ..., etc.

As soon as I sense narcissism, I'm gone.

Yup. I think most people seem to be the same including myself.
The problem is no-one sees themselves as bad, narcissistic, boring, etc.
It's also hard to watch yourself back with subjective criticism that isn't either over the top or insufficient if you are trying to put something together. It's a delicate balance that few, including myself, get right.
2019-9-6
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

fansfe82067d Posted at 9-5 19:55
Somewhere above, someone mentioned that it can be difficult to know what to cut out.  I know I'm very bad at that in respect of more creative videos - even I would call them "paint dryers" (that is to say, watching paint dry would be more interesting).  Two or three minutes is enough for most things unless a real story is being told.

When it comes to tech videos, I think I'm much more focussed - I usually simply want to share something that I'm doing that others might be thinking of doing, and I'll show that with no spoken dialog, just some explanatory titles.  And I only put them on YouTube if I have something to say.  I wouldn't dream of trying to upload on schedule.  Maybe now it will be months before I do anything worth sharing.  I have no desire to develop a following or personal brand.

Interesting points.
I'm currently giving myself time limits to get a point across using the guide I've posted above to see if there is a sweet spot that concentrates my mind without rushing and gets all I need to say and to the opposing end of what point a video becomes rambling or irrelevant as the time is extended.
All I can say so far is I'm glad there have been no takers so far for one-minute videos
2019-9-6
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

Tide Posted at 9-6 00:05
I enjoy watching tech youtubers’ product presentation and review videos and have been following hundreds of them for many years.

Now I am kinda feel confident to tell if the presenter have done proper research and have some intriguing perspective with in 10 secs into the video. If feel something shallow, I jump to 2/3 of video to see if they have a conclusion and if it convince me otherwise out of video. So my focus span is 10 seconds.

Hi, Tide!

(I never get tired of typing that)

Good to hear, and within what I'd expect to be the norm although sometimes I will watch something I have little interest in but need to know to alleviate a specific problem I have at the time or learn more about how to avoid problems.
2019-9-6
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

David_Harry Posted at 9-6 03:31
Hi Curt.

I wouldn't let the extra info put you off, that stuff is is just for geeky types who are interested in more tech nonsense to do with the codecs and methods.

Hi Dave.

The only problem with videos like this one is that you don't know the technical abilities of those watching, this is why they have to contain a certain amount of detail, just so that there's context and technical explanation for the subject matter.

Very true. Some forums are full of people wanting answers but can't understand the replies.
Some people need 'Spot the Dog' explanations while others want 'A brief History of Time' type of explanation so they can nitpick the answers with you or have genuine parts of their knowledge they need to update to help them get the best results they can and find such information useful.
2019-9-6
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

Neo Supreme Posted at 9-6 03:45
I do podcasts and have the video portion up on Youtube.  I know my topics aren't everyone's cup of tea, though I look to share insights on development, growth and thinking.  I usually try to keep them around 30 minutes or less.  I'm also about to do exposure segments, along with some tech segments too.  One of my friends has some good product reviews on electric skateboards that he does really well, that I helped with  aerial and some ground footage on. (video below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIfBvGUQ2EQ

Hi Neo.
First I'd like to say what great production from a content and cohesiveness perspective.
Something to aspire to.
Second, if you tried to do that in the UK you would probably be run down by a car within five minutes
Those things are not street legal over here and not even off-road unless on private ground.
Do you have to have insurance to ride those on the streets?
Fascinating topic.
2019-9-6
Use props
Fat Controller
Captain
Flight distance : 155246 ft
  • >>>

Montfrooij Posted at 9-5 10:54
Usually (not always), I want to find out something or learn something about a subject.
Not listen to a lot of storytelling.
Not sure why they do that.

Some people are just too fond of the sound of their own voices, unfortunately. They would rather rabbit on about themselves than get to the point of the video.
2019-9-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>

Fat Controller Posted at 9-7 00:59
Some people are just too fond of the sound of their own voices, unfortunately. They would rather rabbit on about themselves than get to the point of the video.

Exactly my point!
2019-9-7
Use props
The_Pedro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 155292 ft

If I'm interested in the subject I always look for the best explanation, regardless of the video duration.
However if the best I can find is one of those videos that keep digressing, I'll probably just skip most, if not all, of it.
2019-9-8
Use props
Neo Supreme
First Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-6 13:54
Hi Neo.
First I'd like to say what great production from a content and cohesiveness perspective.
Something to aspire to.

In NYC, they technically are not legal, yet.  The local government is actually looking to make electric scooters legal.  I'm not sure if they are even looking at electric skateboards at a legal standpoint.  They are kind of forced to make them legal, as many residents and businesses use them at a fantastic level.  A company called Revel just recently deployed electric scooters here as well.  It works like Zip Car or Car 2 Go (car sharing services).
2019-9-9
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

Neo Supreme Posted at 9-9 05:30
In NYC, they technically are not legal, yet.  The local government is actually looking to make electric scooters legal.  I'm not sure if they are even looking at electric skateboards at a legal standpoint.  They are kind of forced to make them legal, as many residents and businesses use them at a fantastic level.  A company called Revel just recently deployed electric scooters here as well.  It works like Zip Car or Car 2 Go (car sharing services).

We have a law in the UK that allows for the impounding and destruction of any vehicle found using the road or pavement that is illegally used and it's enforced quite strictly, so we don't see much of that type of thing.  
2019-9-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules