How long is your attention span when viewing tech expainer videos
1680 52 2019-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-9 07:23
We have a law in the UK that allows for the impounding and destruction of any vehicle found using the road or pavement that is illegally used and it's enforced quite strictly, so we don't see much of that type of thing.

Wow, that's pretty rigid.  Well, NYC has many things that are illegal, but aren't strictly enforced.  Those things are usually enforced when:
a) Law enforcement quotas are involved (e.g. summonses issued, specific areas, events).
b) That particular law enforcement official wants to be a stickler/prick (granted some laws are outdated and/or pretty questionable).
c) The city/state wants to make more revenue and 'bolster' their judicial system statistics.
2019-9-9
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-6 13:54
Hi Neo.
First I'd like to say what great production from a content and cohesiveness perspective.
Something to aspire to.

Oh yeah, thanks for the compliment.  I'll be sure to pass it along to my friend.
2019-9-9
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

Neo Supreme Posted at 9-9 08:32
Wow, that's pretty rigid.  Well, NYC has many things that are illegal, but aren't strictly enforced.  Those things are usually enforced when:
a) Law enforcement quotas are involved (e.g. summonses issued, specific areas, events).
b) That particular law enforcement official wants to be a stickler/prick (granted some laws are outdated and/or pretty questionable).

Hi Neo.
The law was passed a few years back when there was a craze for miniature 50cc motorbikes. They were small enough for an adult to carry and were bought by some parents for their children. The upshot was we got groups of children riding around on roads and getting killed. They were so small that if they were alongside a car you couldn't see them on the other side. I haven't seen one of those motorcycles now for about nine years. The law still stands and covers any uninsured, power propelled vehicle capable of I think around 8mph. Electric wheelchairs capable of such speeds must if going above 8mph, use the roads and not pavements and have full insurance.  Electrically assisted bicycles can not be powered only, but pedal-assisted and must not help you at all if you exceed 15mph and the electric motor must not exceed 250w. You also have to be over 14 years of age. There is no need to register an electric bike. There are further laws that get more complex if you are determined to try to use a cycle that is more powerful but the restrictions and requirements as such that it makes it impractical as a means of transport.
Funnily enough, I saw a guy on a homemade scooter today which clearly broke all the rules. If he gets caught he may end up with fines and penalty points on his license. If he doesn't have a driving license, then eventually if he ever applies for one, the penalty points will go on it straight away with any applicable ban rendering it useless until the duration of the ban expires from the date of the offense.
The result is we don't get too much in the way of problems on the roads from these types of devices.   
2019-9-9
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer

Here is a piece on the subject:
Vid
2019-9-9
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-9 12:45
Hi Neo.
The law was passed a few years back when there was a craze for miniature 50cc motorbikes. They were small enough for an adult to carry and were bought by some parents for their children. The upshot was we got groups of children riding around on roads and getting killed. They were so small that if they were alongside a car you couldn't see them on the other side. I haven't seen one of those motorcycles now for about nine years. The law still stands and covers any uninsured, power propelled vehicle capable of I think around 8mph. Electric wheelchairs capable of such speeds must if going above 8mph, use the roads and not pavements and have full insurance.  Electrically assisted bicycles can not be powered only, but pedal-assisted and must not help you at all if you exceed 15mph and the electric motor must not exceed 250w. You also have to be over 14 years of age. There is no need to register an electric bike. There are further laws that get more complex if you are determined to try to use a cycle that is more powerful but the restrictions and requirements as such that it makes it impractical as a means of transport.
Funnily enough, I saw a guy on a homemade scooter today which clearly broke all the rules. If he gets caught he may end up with fines and penalty points on his license. If he doesn't have a driving license, then eventually if he ever applies for one, the penalty points will go on it straight away with any applicable ban rendering it useless until the duration of the ban expires from the date of the offense.

I see.  NYC is pretty much 'progressive'.  They have gone through great lengths to cull the automobile traffic, by way of making smaller lanes, regulated bus lanes, regulated bike lanes and even street closures/restrictions for automobiles.  Being that they have leaned more in favor of promoting public transportation and bikes, electric scooters and skateboards naturally got on board, which is why they are looking to modify their restrictions on the electric bikes, boards and scooters.
2019-9-10
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

Curt1591 Posted at 9-9 21:26
Here is a piece on the subject:
Vid

Nice find.
Thank you.
2019-9-10
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

Thank you for those that took part.
Sorry I haven't been around but my computer died last weekend and it's taken me this long to build a new one and get back on line. It took two days to source components for a new build and another two to test out. Now I'm trying to get to grips with a new operating system and hardware.
2019-9-20
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-20 12:47
Thank you for those that took part.
Sorry I haven't been around but my computer died last weekend and it's taken me this long to build a new one and get back on line. It took two days to source components for a new build and another two to test out. Now I'm trying to get to grips with a new operating system and hardware.

Hi Ray.

Just noticed your post, haven’t been on the forum for a short while, building a Linux/Android system.

Checkout my videos about using Macrium Reflect. It’s disk imaging software that could save you hours of work if you have to re-start any software installations on your new system.

My last system took me about 16 hours to get all the OS, software and drivers working correctly. I made progressive disk images during the installation as I was adding my NLE, DAW, plugins and other apps. If I ever get an installation of anything that upsets my system in the future, instead of chasing my tail trying to work out what’s gone wrong I can just reload a Macrium Reflect disk image to my previous best working environment. The reinstall of the disk image takes about 15 minutes instead of many hours.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-9-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

David_Harry Posted at 9-20 16:37
Hi Ray.

Just noticed your post, haven’t been on the forum for a short while, building a Linux/Android system.

Hi David.
I will check that out. Thanks for the info.
So as far as the rebuild is concerned my PC now consists of the following.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.0GHz CPU with 32GB of 32MHz Corsair DDR4 ram (two sticks). 1000 watt EVGA modular power supply. 2 x 320GB SSD drives striped for faster R/W times. + x2 WD BLACK internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives. Total 4TB. Three external WD drives for backup. NVIDIA G force GT 1030 Graphics clock 1252Mhz Memory data rate 6008Mhz. 384 CUDA cores. Memory interface 64bit Memory bandwidth 48.06 GB/s 2GB of dedicated video memory, shared system memory 9967MB PCi Express x4 Gen3. Running MEP Pro Premium 19.0.1.18

Things that will change over time. I will be adding M.2 to the motherboard at some point soon. Eventually I'll upgrade the graphics card although the one I have has greatly improved in clarity since mounting to the New Asus ROG Strix motherboard, which by the way blows my old dedicated sound cards out of the water for clarity and warmth. Reminds me of an older hi-end vinyl analog system without the crackle and pops. Also I intend, if I can, to go to a raid 5 configuration. Still sorting out the Coffee Lakes use of its video graphics chip yet though. I'm not sure I've got it running correctly in MEP yet. It's taken me around about the same time as you to load various programs so far but I haven't finished that yet. Will possibly complete that task over the next few weeks while I fine tune the system.
I'm still getting to grips with Win10.
2019-9-20
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-20 22:30
Hi David.
I will check that out. Thanks for the info.
So as far as the rebuild is concerned my PC now consists of the following.

Hi Ray.

Just a few things you may want to bear in mind.

For a few reasons it’s not a good idea to have your OS on any type of RAID for a typical workstation, especially a soft RAID.

Unless your SSDs are of a certain type, again it’s not a good idea to RAID them.

Also, your SATA bus will probably get used completely with just one SSD if it’s a fast one, RAIDing them won’t give you any noticeable performance increase if it’s speed you’re after. If it’s a version of RAID redundancy you’re after, again there are certain issues with that.

If you want redundancy, I’d recommend you simply manually mirror any two drives, SSD or mechanical.

For a simple workstation setup using single drives for everything, boot, storage etc, is the best way to go.

Before using larger capacity fast SSDs I used to have to use either a RAID or a striped set for bandwidth for editing uncompressed video. I could tell you some real horror stories from when I’d had a RAID fail and the parity data couldn’t bring the set back, complete data loss.

In my experience it’s way safer to simply mirror the data or do manual or synced  backups if it’s redundancy that’s required. As for speed, a good quality SATA SSD will be enough or a very fast NVMe if you need to work uncompressed ultra high resolutions. I’d also stick with Samsung SSDs. Although their Pro versions are amazing, their Plus versions for NVMe are excellent and cheaper and for SATA you can’t beat their standard EVO 860 range.

You’re mechanical drives will become indispensable for archiving and mid term storage, I’d never get shut of them. I duplicate all my important data to a single large capacity mechanical then back it’s folders to a bunch of lower capacity mechanicals. My SSDs are only used for the OS and active content.

As for your core system, you are going to be like a pig in sh1t when you’ve got it running It’s a fantastic spec for a workstation.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-9-21
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft

I'm ASD. The term "Attention Span" does not apply to me.
2019-9-21
Use props
Trevor John
lvl.1

Pakistan

A minute of video is worth 1.8million words. Says Dr. James McQuivey......Explainer Video mostly averages size be 30-90 seconds long, which converts into a composed content of around 200 words or less much of the time. To get a decent vibe for creating your own video, start by social event some motivation from brands doing it right.
2020-2-6
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Flight distance : 240856 ft
Romania

I only watch full videos of reviewers who are not afraid to mention the quirks and negatives of a product. On most others I just skimp to the video sample parts.
2020-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules