Smooth(er) Yaw on DJI Spark
3418 16 2019-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
yohanesmangitung
lvl.3

I tried playing around with DJI Spark's Yaw EXPO setting to get smoother yaw, since the Spark doesn't have 3rd-axis stabilization. What I did was, I changed the Yaw EXPO setting from the default 0.4 to 0.2. I also modified the Max Yaw Angular Velocity from 90 (I believe) down to 50.

During flight, I used the Course Lock mode to lock the drone's heading while performing yaw movement and playing with the gimbal tilt.

To see how smooth each footage goes, the easiest way would be to look at the edge of the video. All footage were straight from the camera, no color gradings were applied.

Still needs a lot of practices but so far it's better then the one I used to have! My personal favorites are the second and the third attempt. The last attempt wasn't so smooth. Also, I find it easier to perform a smooth yaw by tilting the camera downwards while doing it rather than tilting up, but maybe that's just me. Let me know your thoughts and comments.

Music: We Rise by Generdyn

2019-9-5
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Great shots!
Unfortunately, basic Spark firmware and software can't do that (to buy more expensive). I've been using it like this for a year and I'm getting pretty nice results, but now I've got the dreaded Nyut-Nyut problem and automatically landed in an inappropriate place and all the propellers crashed.
Unfortunately, I can't trust Spark anymore. I sell it and switch to Parrot Anafi.

2019-9-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your great work with us! Nicely done. Cheers!
2019-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

Does Spark even have this?
2019-9-5
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>

Was this at max yaw stick?
2019-9-5
Use props
nilanjan118
Second Officer
Flight distance : 636663 ft

Great job. Thanks for sharing.
2019-9-5
Use props
yohanesmangitung
lvl.3

Montfrooij Posted at 9-5 10:23
Does Spark even have this?

Spark's original firmware wouldn't allow you to change EXPO settings but I used DJI assistant 2 to change the settings. You can do a quick search on DJI Spark EXPO setting dji assistant to find out more.
2019-9-5
Use props
yohanesmangitung
lvl.3

AntDX316 Posted at 9-5 17:14
Was this at max yaw stick?

the Yaw EXPO Setting was originally set at 0.4 and I changed it to 0.2 to get a small movement near the center of the stick and gain more movement towards the end of the stick
2019-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

yohanesmangitung Posted at 9-5 19:07
Spark's original firmware wouldn't allow you to change EXPO settings but I used DJI assistant 2 to change the settings. You can do a quick search on DJI Spark EXPO setting dji assistant to find out more.

Ah ok. That is how you did that!
Nice
2019-9-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>

Excellent vid
2019-9-5
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft

Hi folks,

To enable EXPO, have a look at this thread.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-9-5
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft

My yaw is terrible. I'll look into this.
2019-9-6
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft

Very well done. Cheers
2019-9-6
Use props
yohanesmangitung
lvl.3

yohanesmangitung Posted at 9-5 19:07
Spark's original firmware wouldn't allow you to change EXPO settings but I used DJI assistant 2 to change the settings. You can do a quick search on DJI Spark EXPO setting dji assistant to find out more.

This is my EXPO setting for my Spark
2019-9-6
Use props
fans812df717
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1092280 ft

What a great idea, never thought of it, thanks very much. The only thing I don’t understand is how did you engage course lock for Spark? DJI GO4 does not support that as far as I know. Thanks!
2019-9-9
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Google search: DJIGO4mod2.apk
2019-9-9
Use props
fans812df717
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1092280 ft

Thank you Jakab!
2019-9-10