Osmo Action with a GoPro Hero 7 Windslayer foam wind filter.
2164 14 2019-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
lvl.4

Hi.

Here's another wind thing for the Action, the YouTube blurb is below the video.

Cheers,
Dave.

After my recent video where I made up a vlogging case for the DJI Osmo Action that consisted of modifying a Ulanzi OA-3 silicone case with permanently attached Rycote Micro Windjammers, I thought I'd try something that didn't require any modification, a foam wind filter.

The idea is to find a solution for vlogging with the DJI Osmo Action that affords the internal microphones a bit of wind projection. While this type of functionality is primarily designed to help protect your dialogue when vlogging, it'd also be helpful for any type of audio recording on the Osmo Action when using its internal microphones.

So, for this video I decided to take a page out of GoPro's books and use what is referred to by GoPro users as a Windslayer. A Windslayer is basically a foam filter that covers the GoPro Hero 7  Black including its skeletal case.

I'd already sold my previous GoPro Hero 7 but luckily had a few of its bits laying around, including a 3rd party Windslayer. As I'd already used a Windslayer with my old GoPro 3 Plus Black, to great effect, I thought I'd give one a whirl on my Osmo Action.

While the button holes on the Windslayer don't match up to the buttons on the Osmo Action, as this is designed for the GoPro Hero 7 and the front screen on the Osmo Action is covered by the Windslayer. These things didn't particularly bother me as the microphones were covered, which is the most important thing and I'm not overly concerned with seeing the front screen on the Action as I don't really use it, even when vlogging.

In practice, the Windslayer off the GoPro is actually a good fit for the Action and does cover it while not blocking the rear screen. It is also super easy to get off and on.

But to the important thing, did it work?

As I've mentioned, you'll never block wind completely with such a device on such a small camera. But I was happy enough with the amount of protection from the wind that I got. While it is still there, it did not completely distort and wipe out my dialogue, although without it, there were parts where the dialogue was completely destroyed and the wind just distorted the microphones.

With these things costing less than £10 $10, it's not an expensive peripheral and I'd dare say very cheap or at least budget if you find one for less than $5 £5 if you shop around. So with that in mind, I'd totally recommend using one as they do work to a degree and may end up saving a take one day.

Let me know what you thought of the differences in the comments section.

I'm also ordering a Windslayer that's designed for the Osmo Action. Although these are not called  Windslayers, as I think that's a GoPro term, these are just called Windscreens, Windblockers, Wind filters or deadcats. None the less they look exactly the same, a foam filter that covers the Osmo Action and its case and does the same job, acts as a wind filter.

Maybe use those terms in a Google search and you may find one, or check out my Amazon link.

Lastly. This whole pursuit of wind protection for my Osmo Action for vlogging, as I mentioned in the video, is heavily inspired by another YouTuber I subscribe to, Mr. Robert John Kerr. Robert is an awesome vlogger who knows how to do it properly and keeps you interested to the end of his videos. I could defo do with taking more than a page or two out of Robert's book

Here's a link to Robert's channel, take a visit and watch a couple of his vlogs, it'll only take a couple and you'll be hooked. Don't forget to subscribe to him while you're there and click for notifications for all his future videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CheddarUK
2019-9-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

Interesting solution
2019-9-7
Use props
ff22
lvl.4

Found a link for an Osmo Action version

http://www.puluz.com/view/319835 ... %20with%20Frame.htm

No idea how well it works or how well it lasts.

Oh, another link and about half the price???

https://pitch.pe/puluz-high-dens ... -action-with-frame/

2019-9-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for creating this informative video fro the DJI Osmo Action. You did an amazing video and thank you for your support.
2019-9-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

Looks like a cool solution
2019-9-7
Use props
maddox
First Officer

Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing
2019-9-7
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

Montfrooij Posted at 9-7 03:49
Interesting solution

Hi.

Yes it’s quite interesting. While it’s not perfect it really does help with mild breezes.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-9-9
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

ff22 Posted at 9-7 07:17
Found a link for an Osmo Action version

http://www.puluz.com/view/319835 ... %20with%20Frame.htm

Hi.

I’ve seen this one on eBay as well. I’ll get one and if it’s noticeably better i’ll do an example.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-9-9
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-7 07:30
Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for creating this informative video fro the DJI Osmo Action. You did an amazing video and thank you for your support.

Hi Stephen.

You are very welcome.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-9-9
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

A J Posted at 9-7 09:01
Looks like a cool solution

Hi AJ.

Yes, it’s pretty cool. Best thing is that it’s a very simple solution, if I can find better I’ll do another video.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-9-9
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

maddox Posted at 9-7 23:31
Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing

Hi Maddox.

You are very welcome.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-9-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

David_Harry Posted at 9-9 07:26
Hi Stephen.

You are very welcome.

It is always my pleasure Dave to watch and see the informative video you have created for DJI and thank you so much for your valued support.
2019-9-9
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

David_Harry Posted at 9-9 07:27
Hi AJ.

Yes, it’s pretty cool. Best thing is that it’s a very simple solution, if I can find better I’ll do another video.

2019-9-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Curious idea,  just dont get it wet
2019-9-10
Use props
maddox
First Officer

David_Harry Posted at 9-9 07:27