Understanding Shutter Speed vs Filters
921 9 2019-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_5oyS6591gT7b
lvl.2

So... trying to wrap my head around things.

Today I received my new Polar Pro Cinema Series (full collection). So i took my osmo pocket outside...

Partly Cloudy semi sunny day at 3pm in California.

Iso set to 100
WB 5800
Frame 30
Shutter 1/60

Very blown out as expected so I added the ND 8 shutter filter (also tried with the 16 after but 8 looked best).

Problem is the clouds are blown out. Everything else looks great but clouds blown out. If i up the shutter to something higher then I can get some clouds to show but then that puts me over the “double the frame rate” concept said everywhere to go by right? So whats the best approach here to see some clouds?

Thanks
2019-9-7
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. Thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendation and suggestions from our fellow DJI members here in Forum. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have any inquiries or concerns. Thank you!
2019-9-7
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>

The problem is with the dynamic range of the Pocket.  The only thing you can do is to use a more dense filter, but of course then the non-sky bits may be too dark.  You just have to decide on the balance between the two.
2019-9-7
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft

Hi, the answer is actually easy, just requires a bit of simple math:

ND filter numbers show how much they cut the light down. "ND 8" for instance means it only passess 1/8th the available light. Since each full stop reduces the light by half, it also means 3 full stops of reduction.
If you extend the math:

ND4= 2 Stops, ND8=3 Stops, ND16= 4 Stops, ND32= 5 Stops, ND64= 6 Stops, ND1000= 10 Stops

All you need to do is take a look at the meter at the top of the screen in the manual mode, it shows you how many stops over (or under) exposed your image is with your chosen settings. Any plus number means overexposed . If you see a +2 there for example, you need to put in a filter 2 stops higher (32 instead of 8 etc.) than what you are using. Just try to bring that to 0, simple as that...

Hope this helps...

PS: Filters do not extend your dynamic range. Some scenes require a much higher dynamic range than most cameras can record in a single exposure, let alone the little Osmo Pocket. That means depending on your scene you might never be able to expose everything properly at the same time; either the darks would be too dark or the lights would be blown out. That is when you prioritize and comprimise...

2019-9-7
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

CemAygun Posted at 9-7 16:54

ND filter numbers show how much they cut the light down. "ND 8" for instance means it only passess 1/8th the available light. Since each full stop reduces the light by half, it also means 3 full stops of reduction.

We do appreciate sharing this knowledge with regard to this query. This would be helpful to our valued DJI Forum members. Cheers!
2019-9-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Install the Polar pro app it will help you choose the correct filter.
2019-9-9
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer

CemAygun Posted at 9-7 16:54

ND filter numbers show how much they cut the light down. "ND 8" for instance means it only passess 1/8th the available light. Since each full stop reduces the light by half, it also means 3 full stops of reduction.

great info, thanks for that.
2019-9-9
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft

DJI Tony Posted at 9-8 15:33
We do appreciate sharing this knowledge with regard to this query. This would be helpful to our valued DJI Forum members. Cheers!

Thanks a lot DJI Tony, glad to be of some help,
Cheers,
2019-9-9
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Yes. The ND8 you are using is not sufficient for the available light. Take a reading without any filter and use PolarPro's app to determine what filter you need for the conditions you want to shoot at.
Please mind that when starting to shoot manually, you will need to play around with the 'Exposure Triangle' (Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO) until you get a satisfying image. Now, the Osmo has a fixed aperture of f/2.8, you can't change it so any adjustments will have to come from changing the shutter speed (via NDs) or the ISO value. Try some exposure compensation or increase slightly your ISO number (don't go above 800 because the small sensor will introduce lots of noise).

Also, shooting manualy means... editing. What might not look great with the ND16 on the Osmo's little screen (check the brightness setup) migth look fantastic after lifting the shadows in a 60@ 4K TV.
2019-9-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

CemAygun Posted at 9-9 20:17
Thanks a lot DJI Tony, glad to be of some help,
Cheers,

You're most welcome. Please reach us back if you need our assistance as well. Cheers!
2019-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules