Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
(UPDATE) Both batteries swollen with time charged 26&36 Mavic 2
4806 27 2019-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ovi 1
First Officer
Flight distance : 351545 ft

Hi guys

Both of my mavic 2 batteries are swollen. The time charged are 26 & 36. How is this posibble ? I purcahse the drone and the extra battery last year in october. I contacted  Dji they told me the batteries are out of warranty. How is this posbile to happen at the same time ? The batteries are not cheap and Dji  can't do anythign to help me.
Any suggestions ?I almost lost my drone, the battery alost came out because of the swollen battery.
Thanks
UPDATE

*******DJI customer service is amazing. They replace both of the batteries ********

IMG_8599.JPG
IMG_8603.PNG
IMG_8604.PNG
2019-9-7
Use props
fans8b803c8d
Second Officer
Flight distance : 55305 ft
  • >>>

You are not alone. Have you seen this thread?

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid1949788

There are also many posts about this issue on https://mavicpilots.com

Do not use the batteries if they are swollen. They should click in place easily, if not there may be a danger they will disconnect mid-flight, indeed I experienced a battery connection warning notice during a recent flight due to a swollen battery. Both my affected batteries were out of the 6 month warranty period and had around 20 recharge cycles. DJI offered a 20% discount on two new batteries which I had not option but to accept.

Reports seem to indicate that only batteries manufactured before Aug 2018 are affected (as in my case) which might indicate either a design, component, manufacturing or quality control issue but I am not holding my breath waiting for DJI to respond.
2019-9-7
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft

Its a growing problem.  See here:- https://mavicpilots.com/threads/two-more-battery-failures.72278/

What date were the batteries manufactured?  You can see this in Go4 or via AirData and flight logs.

(I had all 3 of mine swell and become unusable 7 months after purchase)
2019-9-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Ovi 1, we apologize for the troubles with the battery, we managed to get your email via your Forum account and your concern has been forwarded to the team to double check, please note the email update in working hours, thank you.
2019-9-8
Use props
gnirtS
Captain

Maybe you can forward the forum link above to your team.  Many of us have had problems with batteries manufactured before a certain date.  And most of us have just been told they're out of warranty and will get nothing.
2019-9-8
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>

All three of mine as well now.
2019-9-8
Use props
gnirtS
Captain

Oracle Miata Posted at 9-8 05:22
All three of mine as well now.

What is their manufacture date?
2019-9-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>

I bought mine on release, I have 6 batteries all ok, no problems. I wonder is it possible that a bad batch or bad batches could have been the cause.

Most if not all batteries can be traced to when manufactured the all have SN numbers or model number, it should be possible if those who have problems to post first photos then Model numbers and dates when they were purchased and how many uses of each battery, maybe with enough documented proof/evidence dji might sit up and give this some attention, it seems very simple right now for them to say, no warranty no claim.
I think somebody who has had this problem should try posting a thread dedicated to this problem, and just maybe it might change djis tune when they just decide to offer the same rhetoric No Warranty No Claim .
2019-9-8
Use props
Ovi 1
First Officer

The production date for both batteries July 2018. I use this drone normal like other drones I had before. I had a spark and a Mavic Air I never had this problem.
2019-9-8
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

Never had this problem as yet with my M2P batteries but reading through this and other forums it certainly is not an isolated case and needs closer attention.
2019-9-8
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 9-8 06:29
What is their manufacture date?
All August 2018 builds.  I bought it on launch day.
2019-9-8
Use props
gnirtS
Captain

hallmark007 Posted at 9-8 07:28
I bought mine on release, I have 6 batteries all ok, no problems. I wonder is it possible that a bad batch or bad batches could have been the cause.

Most if not all batteries can be traced to when manufactured the all have SN numbers or model number, it should be possible if those who have problems to post first photos then Model numbers and dates when they were purchased and how many uses of each battery, maybe with enough documented proof/evidence dji might sit up and give this some attention, it seems very simple right now for them to say, no warranty no claim.

There is a thread on the mavicpilots forum doing exactly that.
So far 100% of the ones with issues seem to be 08/18 or earlier manufacture.

I did start one here but it died a death.  The fact mavic pro and zoom separate into different forums doesnt help either as its a potential issue on both.
2019-9-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 9-8 08:53
There is a thread on the mavicpilots forum doing exactly that.
So far 100% of the ones with issues seem to be 08/18 or earlier manufacture.

I think myself what gets most attention here are photos and videos of problems, this one should be able to generate some kind of response, it’s not the first time I’ve seen battery problems, I know some time it can be neglect that can cause problems with batteries but most of these cases are similar, I would also expect that batteries would end their life with lost power not swelling that may be a cause for worry about their safety, I know dji offer a 6 month warranty but can they wash their hands of what could be a potential  dangerous situation because of a manufacturing defect, I’m certain dji batteries are outsourced and manufactured by an independent company, so I believe the information posted here should be beneficial to dji and they would do well to pay attention to it.

For me post photos model numbers date of purchase, I also remember there was a way of figuring out the actual manufacturing date using model number if anyone can remember how this can be achieved.
I would also contact senior moderators here Mindy , Susan , Gamora to relay the feedback here to dji engineers and management.
2019-9-8
Use props
gnirtS
Captain

You can get the actual manufacture date from the logs (and show in AirData.com or anything else).  It gives a day as well as month and serial number.
2019-9-8
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
  • >>>

It won’t matter.  DJI will never admit there was a manufacturing issue with a set of batteries.  They’ll sweep this under the table like they did with early Spark batteries that had the tiny clips.  All of a sudden the newer batteries have bigger clips...
2019-9-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

Oracle Miata Posted at 9-8 11:10
It won’t matter.  DJI will never admit there was a manufacturing issue with a set of batteries.  They’ll sweep this under the table like they did with early Spark batteries that had the tiny clips.  All of a sudden the newer batteries have bigger clips...

Two things 1 the spark issue was direct dji manufacturing, this is an issue with battery manufacturing which although dji is ultimately responsible, they also like end users should have some comeback.
2 I agree dji will never admit to this, but if it becomes a recurring problem with users complaining then dji might be forced to look at the problem more sympathetically, instead of just the same mantra Out Of Warranty.
I don’t believe much will happen unless photos / videos are presented and general reporting of the problem , I think first step is to see if moderators can get an answer from engineers, I think it should also be of concern to dji that they at least advise users what to do with these faulty batteries or at least share some responsibility if they are a direct cause of some accident that may cause damage to persons or property, I believe dji have some obligation here .
2019-9-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

Thanks for posting images, hopefully others will follow suit .
2019-9-9
Use props
Ovi 1
First Officer

Hi Guys what can we do about this issue  moving forward ?  I'm afraid to buy new batteries for the same reason . Any ideas ?
2019-9-9
Use props
gnirtS
Captain

Ovi 1 Posted at 9-9 16:55
Hi Guys what can we do about this issue  moving forward ?  I'm afraid to buy new batteries for the same reason . Any ideas ?

So far the people reporting premature swelling all had batteries made on or before August 18.  One person has reported swelling from a 12/18 battery but admitted its done about 140 cycles in high temperatures so that might just be normal wear and tear.

If you buy batteries now they're unlikely to be made 07/08-2018 so probably fine.

I spent $450 on 3 new ones (extremely annoying) but all of those have now done more than the cycles the originals had and all are fine.
2019-9-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

Ovi 1 Posted at 9-9 16:55

Buy your batteries but maintain them properly remember warranty is only 6 months so keep an eye on them, I have three batteries with over 100 charges each from mavic 1 and the are still working well no swelling.
This thread is to try highlight some problems with M2 batteries which many users had swelling occurring for no reason, those people are looking for some confirmation from dji that this could be a problem now and going forward.
I think dji moderators should pop in here and relay to engineers what’s worrying users who are having problems with these batteries.

1/ Should they continue to use Swollen Batteries?
2/ What has caused these batteries to swell?
3/ Will there be a risk that these batteries could fall out while flying?
4/ Because this problem is known to effect many users, have they any comeback?
5/ Are these batteries safe to recharge?
6/ Is there a risk of fire with these batteries ?

Although most answers to above can be common knowledge, I would appreciate if dji could answer these questions and offer advice on what to do and what comeback users have .?
2019-9-10
Use props
fans8b803c8d
Second Officer
Flight distance : 55305 ft
  • >>>

hallmark007 wrote:
I think dji moderators should pop in here and relay to engineers what’s worrying users who are having problems with these batteries.

I fully agree this needs to be investigated. I've reported previously about two swollen M2 batteries manufactured pre-Aug 2018 and now I have a third battery purchased with the M2P last year showing signs of swelling. Li-Ion batteries in general are known to pose a fire danger when in a swollen or unstable state and with the M2 batteries there may be a possibility of a mid-flight battery ejection as almost happened to me.

DJI, please step up and address this widely documented issue.

2019-9-10
Use props
gnirtS
Captain

1/ Should they continue to use Swollen Batteries?

They always say no (as they should)

2/ What has caused these batteries to swell?

Given so far it seems the problem existed for 2 months then suddenly vanished im suspecting they probably know what caused it and a solution.

3/ Will there be a risk that these batteries could fall out while flying?

In my case for sure, a wind gust or braking move can trigger a battery unlatch warning in the app.  If i hand hold it and give it a decent shake i can power off the drone (battery doesnt fall out but moves upwards enough to break the electrical connection).  If this happens in the air the drone is just going to turn into a brick.
4/ Because this problem is known to effect many users, have they any comeback?
5/ Are these batteries safe to recharge?
6/ Is there a risk of fire with these batteries ?

What most of us are seeing is the battery chemistry itself appears fine.  Nobody has reported any increases in cell deviations, voltages, capacity, current issues or anything else. To all intents and purposes they appear normal EXCEPT for the physical swelling.
Which is odd in itself and again hints at a manufacture or design issue which was addressed.  I would generally expect swollen batteries, especially if continued use to show some electrical abnormalities.
2019-9-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 9-10 10:20
They always say no (as they should)

I believe most already know the answers, and although dji are unlikely to give answers the questions are directed at them.
Over the years I’ve seen similar problems at certain times with batteries, I think dji should be more sympathetic and offer some grace after warranty finishes, but highly unlikely.
2019-9-10
Use props
gnirtS
Captain

One person has reported they offered him batteries for 20% off or similar on the other site despite out of warranty.  Myself (7 months since purchase) and others just got told no.
2019-9-10
Use props
SIG-FG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 646014 ft

DJI not acknowledging bad batteries 2018.7   https://forum.dji.com/thread-197876-1-1.html
2019-9-11
Use props
SIG-FG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 646014 ft

DJI not acknowledging bad batteries 2018.7
https://forum.dji.com/thread-197876-1-1.html

2019-9-11
Use props
gnirtS
Captain

That looks like a completely different issue and possibly just a dud battery.

The swelling issue batteries all appear to be electrically perfectly ok.  Its a physical issue.
2019-9-11
Use props
Ovi 1
First Officer

*******DJI customer service is amazing. They replace both of the batteries  ********
2019-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules