Removing walking bounce and return to center?
3644 7 2019-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SLiWooDy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126234 ft
  • >>>

Hi Guys,

I am looking for help with two problems.

The first is what is the best setting for removing walking bounce?
I do long walks with the Ronin SC (sony 6400) and I need to try to remove the bounce that I create whilst walking,
Checkout one of my videos here:

Its pretty smooth as it is, but I would love to try and get the bounce almost elimated from my steps.
Bare in mind I am not very tech savy with the settings, I have the Ronin set to Pan follow and all others settings at low.
(I am looking for a base setting that would smooth out the bounce)

Second issue is after I turn, the gimbal doesnt return to dead centre.
Its always off by a few degrees. The end resault is I have to carry it at weird angles and try to rotate my hand to get it back to center as smoothly as I can without double clicking the trigger. What do you think my best option would be for setting this ?

thanks for any help!
Really appriciated.
2019-9-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

In my mind the only way to do this is to learn the 'ninja walk'.
(looks stupid, you will get tired soon, but it works)
2019-9-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>

PS, the other thing I can't help you with. I don't own a Ronin.
2019-9-11
Use props
Chung123
lvl.3

In the professional world (from what I see on the net) , one could get a Steadicam Arm and vest. (They have one to work with the Ronin-S ).  That helps with the Z-axis issue (up and down). Of course you would look like Robocop out in the field.
Since we are using a handheld gimbal ---Our arms are supposed to act as a Steadicam Arm and absorb the bounces and up/down movement.
Besides the ninja walk,  try an even wider lens?
Me personally? I would just add additional stabilization in my editing program. It may take a while to process but can smooth out less than perfect operation.
2019-9-11
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>

Montfrooij Posted at 9-11 05:34
In my mind the only way to do this is to learn the 'ninja walk'.
(looks stupid, you will get tired soon, but it works)

I second that. The ninja walk will help prevent recording that motion, so you may not have anything to remove in post.
2019-9-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi SLiWooDy, there are some suggestions for your reference:
1. Make sure to mount the Lens Support.
2. Keep the knees bent when walking to get a smooth shot.
3. Lean forward slightly when shooting, so the pitch axis can reduce the vertical shake caused by walking.
4. Set the corresponding SmoothTrack value based on the shooting requirements. It is recommended to turn off Roll SmoothTrack.

For the 'return yo center' issue, if you set the Deadband into a range, the gimbal will not follow in this range. If you would like the gimbal to be centered, please set the Deadband into 0 to see if it helps.
2019-9-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>

Moni Johnson Posted at 9-11 15:45
I second that. The ninja walk will help prevent recording that motion, so you may not have anything to remove in post.

Very true!
2019-9-12
Use props
djiuser_Lknfyu1rik3x
lvl.1

I cannot seem to create a new thread to so will hijack this one as my issue is similar.
My ronin sc is perfectly balanced (checked via app). When I walk I get a side to side sway. It's not the up down issue that can be resolved with the 'ninja walk'. When I walk the camera moves 1-2 degrees in the direction of the front foot (right foot down > camera moves to right). It does this even if I do walking on the spot motion. With a 16mm focus this is very noticeable in my footage.
I have tried every setting and calibration possible. I just don't understand it. Is this a hardware fault?

Please help.
2019-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules