Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Which tablet?
1029 6 2019-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
syd\
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33593 ft

I have a Mavic 2 Pro with the small controller. I am buying a tablet holder as my Galaxy S8+ phone is still too small to see. I see no point in buying a new expensive tablet as I would only use it fror the drone so I am looking on Ebay. Can anyone recommend a 10 inch tablet that works ok, preferably Android. I understand that some of the older tablets may have a video lag on the image transmitted by the drone. The tablet will be tethered with my phone so the internet connection should be fine.

Also, should I connect the tablet and phone using tethering (Wifi), Bluetooth, or USB cable?
2019-9-12
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're hoping that you could get the best recommendation that you may need when in terms of purchasing a tablet. In addition to this matter, you may purchase a tablet holder which is compatible with the Mavic 2 Pro as well. Please see the link below for your reference. Thank you for your support.

https://store.dji.com/product/ma ... oller-tablet-holder
2019-9-12
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

The GO 4 app is currently optimised for the iPhone X which uses an A11 processor. Whilst older devices are compatible (even an iPhone 5s) you may experience more glitches, lag and even screen drops flying with them - the older the device the less powerful the processor and the more issues you may face with the connection in flight. You will need to link the RC to your device with a USB cable. Tether using 4G to cache the maps if you need to then ensure bluetooth and WiFi are turned off and all other apps are closed down in the background and that the device is on the latest firmware before take off. Leaving WiFi on during flight is not required and may cause interference with the signal.
You will also find that DJI drones are more compatible with Apple products - this has improved of late with more modern Android devices working more efficiently but there is a reason why it states 'made for iPhone' on the box your drone was shipped in! In terms of iPads, a used 7.9" Mini 4 will or serve well but if you want something even bigger with a more powerful processor then look at the 9.7" iPad which should be cheaper now that the new releases for 2019 have hit the market. I don't use Android so someone else will need to recommend on that one.
2019-9-13
Use props
syd\
lvl.1

A J Posted at 9-13 02:44
The GO 4 app is currently optimised for the iPhone X which uses an A11 processor. Whilst older devices are compatible (even an iPhone 5s) you may experience more glitches, lag and even screen drops flying with them - the older the device the less powerful the processor and the more issues you may face with the connection in flight. You will need to link the RC to your device with a USB cable. Tether using 4G to cache the maps if you need to then ensure bluetooth and WiFi are turned off and all other apps are closed down in the background and that the device is on the latest firmware before take off. Leaving WiFi on during flight is not required and may cause interference with the signal.
You will also find that DJI drones are more compatible with Apple products - this has improved of late with more modern Android devices working more efficiently but there is a reason why it states 'made for iPhone' on the box your drone was shipped in! In terms of iPads, a used 7.9" Mini 4 will or serve well but if you want something even bigger with a more powerful processor then look at the 9.7" iPad which should be cheaper now that the new releases for 2019 have hit the market. I don't use Android so someone else will need to recommend on that one.

Thanks AJ. I'm using a Galaxy S8+ and have experienced no problems with it. The tabs you mention are probably still too expensive. I will only use a tab for the drone so spending several hundred pounds just for a drone screen seems a waste. My intention was to leave the tab connected to the phone which will be cheaper than buying a tab with a sim, and I don't want to be swapping sims back and forth.
Obviously the newer the tab, the more powerful the processor, but I'm not sure how much processor power is needed just to stream the camera. Apart from speedy graphics requirement, there is not a lot more to do. The DJI controller is doing the important bit. Hence my question about video lag. I'm hoping the older Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 will suffice as they can be picked up easily for £40.
2019-9-13
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

syd\@sydh.co.uk Posted at 9-13 08:40
Thanks AJ. I'm using a Galaxy S8+ and have experienced no problems with it. The tabs you mention are probably still too expensive. I will only use a tab for the drone so spending several hundred pounds just for a drone screen seems a waste. My intention was to leave the tab connected to the phone which will be cheaper than buying a tab with a sim, and I don't want to be swapping sims back and forth.
Obviously the newer the tab, the more powerful the processor, but I'm not sure how much processor power is needed just to stream the camera. Apart from speedy graphics requirement, there is not a lot more to do. The DJI controller is doing the important bit. Hence my question about video lag. I'm hoping the older Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 will suffice as they can be picked up easily for £40.

A good quality device should be your number 1 accessory - why spend over £1000 on a drone (nearer £2000 with added accessories) and only £40 on a device that may lead to you experiencing glitches in your transmission, washed out screens in sunlight, battery problems and shut downs on hot/cold days etc and not gain the full potential out of the drone. It's like buying a Savile Row suit but wearing a pair of flip fops with it because you don't want to invest in a pair shoes.
With regards to cellular - as I said, this isn't needed at all in flight. Cache the maps at home before heading out.
2019-9-13
Use props
syd\
lvl.1

That's why I'm trying to find out the right tab, not the best tab. No point in spending £800 when a cheaper tab will do the job. Like I said, the tab is just a screen. The controller is operating the drone, not the tab. The screen needs to be reasonable quality, no more. The Hasselblad camera is what counts. I'm a videographer so the drone for me is just an aerial camera.
2019-9-13
Use props
syd\
lvl.1

Also I can't cache the maps first. I travel extensively and I have no way of knowing exactly where I will be, hence the need for a data connection.
2019-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules