Osmo Pocket turns off when connected via USB to download
3939 8 2019-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheCameraLens
lvl.2

I just got back from a trip where a took a variety of video, photos, slow motion and timelapse video. When connecting to a computer via the USB C socket with the supplied cable the camera keeps turning off as soon as I try to download files. It goes through the normal prompt to accept the camera/computer connection. The camera is less than 3 weeks old and has been treated with care at all times. I have downloaded successfully 3 times before so I know it isn't a case of user error. The cable is connected direct to the camera and not through any accessory. The same thing happens on multiple computers. Is this a known issue? I haven't seen any mention in any reviews or anything.

2019-9-12
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

It is normal for the Osmo Pocket to enter sleep mode after accepting a connection. You then should look for the card on your PC which should show as a drive and then download from there. If the PC downloaded automatically before then you probably have a broken link which can happen if you use more than one camera.
2019-9-12
Use props
TheCameraLens
lvl.2

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-12 07:39
It is normal for the Osmo Pocket to enter sleep mode after accepting a connection. You then should look for the card on your PC which should show as a drive and then download from there. If the PC downloaded automatically before then you probably have a broken link which can happen if you use more than one camera.

Sorry, maybe I didn't describe things correctly. I meant the connection turns off and the camera wakes. It is the connection to the computer that stops working as soon as I try to move files. The PC complains that there is nothing connected for that drive.
2019-9-12
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

TheCameraLens Posted at 9-12 07:47
Sorry, maybe I didn't describe things correctly. I meant the connection turns off and the camera wakes. It is the connection to the computer that stops working as soon as I try to move files. The PC complains that there is nothing connected for that drive.

I would say try a card reader in case the card has corrupted or try connecting the Osmo Pocket without a card in it to see if you get a stable connection. If you do it's probably a corrupt card. If you don't you have a faulty Osmo Pocket. It's not moisture-sealed. If you were going from air-conditioned environments to hot environments or into places such as butterfly houses or tropical greenhouses then where temperature and humidity change quickly then you should keep electronic equipment in a ziplock bag sealed for about twenty minutes before use to acclimatise. Beaches can also be high humidity areas especially if you then get into an airconditioned coach or car.  Hard to say, but the same thing happens to digital cameras.
Last but not least and possibly the best outcome is if you ran the recording until the card was full. That sometimes corrupts the card as the camera tries to empty its buffer onto an already full card. That can sometimes cause corruption on some cameras and less expensive cards. With this last scenario, you may be able to get some files back with a file recovery program and save the card as well if the card was overwritten on a partition.
2019-9-12
Use props
TheCameraLens
lvl.2

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-12 11:50
I would say try a card reader in case the card has corrupted or try connecting the Osmo Pocket without a card in it to see if you get a stable connection. If you do it's probably a corrupt card. If you don't you have a faulty Osmo Pocket. It's not moisture-sealed. If you were going from air-conditioned environments to hot environments or into places such as butterfly houses or tropical greenhouses then where temperature and humidity change quickly then you should keep electronic equipment in a ziplock bag sealed for about twenty minutes before use to acclimatise. Beaches can also be high humidity areas especially if you then get into an airconditioned coach or car.  Hard to say, but the same thing happens to digital cameras.
Last but not least and possibly the best outcome is if you ran the recording until the card was full. That sometimes corrupts the card as the camera tries to empty its buffer onto an already full card. That can sometimes cause corruption on some cameras and less expensive cards. With this last scenario, you may be able to get some files back with a file recovery program and save the card as well if the card was overwritten on a partition.

Thanks for all the info. I think I have it working now.  I tried a few things, firstly I took out the card and downloaded with a card reader, while the card was out I also disconnected the reversed (connection tab toward center of the Osmo) lightning adapter. When I replaced the card and tried again it worked so I am not sure which caused the problem. Humidity shouldn't have been an issue, but it is good to be aware of the fact it may be in the future. I will also avoid filling a card. So far I am loving the Osmo. It has a few shortcomings, but the final results are far better than I can get with my other digital cameras.
2019-9-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for bringing this query for us. My apology that I was unable to help you with your concern. However, we're very glad that you already fix the issue on your DJI Osmo Pocket. If you have any inquiries please don't hesitate to reach us and we will do our very best to assist you. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-9-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

TheCameraLens Posted at 9-13 04:01
Thanks for all the info. I think I have it working now.  I tried a few things, firstly I took out the card and downloaded with a card reader, while the card was out I also disconnected the reversed (connection tab toward center of the Osmo) lightning adapter. When I replaced the card and tried again it worked so I am not sure which caused the problem. Humidity shouldn't have been an issue, but it is good to be aware of the fact it may be in the future. I will also avoid filling a card. So far I am loving the Osmo. It has a few shortcomings, but the final results are far better than I can get with my other digital cameras.

The one thing I forgot to mention was which way the adapter was facing on the Osmo Pocket. Some users have mentioned that as being problematic in the past. Could well have been your problem and I'm sorry for not including it.
Very glad you got it sorted and that it wasn't one of my apocalyptic versions of possible causes.
I feel the same as you, for the price it's hard to beat despite its few shortcomings.
2019-9-13
Use props
TheCameraLens
lvl.2

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-13 15:15
The one thing I forgot to mention was which way the adapter was facing on the Osmo Pocket. Some users have mentioned that as being problematic in the past. Could well have been your problem and I'm sorry for not including it.
Very glad you got it sorted and that it wasn't one of my apocalyptic versions of possible causes.
I feel the same as you, for the price it's hard to beat despite its few shortcomings.

I was using the lightning adapter with it fitted so that the connector was protected by the body, not protruding for use. I am assuming that the actual USB C connector to the PC makes no difference which way round it goes.
2019-9-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

TheCameraLens Posted at 9-14 05:47
I was using the lightning adapter with it fitted so that the connector was protected by the body, not protruding for use. I am assuming that the actual USB C connector to the PC makes no difference which way round it goes.

True. I don't have that problem or with the micro USB adaptor that I use at the moment. It's more convenient not to have it stick out of the side most times.
2019-9-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules