Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone kept trying to return home
690 14 2019-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ELEVATING
lvl.1

I don't know if this is a bug with the drone or the app but the battery was low & I decided to manually land it, I brought the drone close to me under some trees & it kept trying to confirm the manual land but every time I did another pop up comes out instantly telling me to return home & it would auto-confirm it right after which would send my drone up into the trees, it happened like 3 times until I was finally able to land it, thankfully it appears undamaged except for a dirty lens & body AGAIN, this comes after my drone disconnected from the app/remote with a fresh battery & went backward until it hit a tree & crashed (video here: https://youtu.be/vhJ5Rke5qkc ) has anyone experienced this return to home spam issue? Did I just receive a faulty drone our are these things really that unreliable?
2019-9-12
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12165479 ft
  • >>>

Hiya,

If you like post your flightlogs one here, using > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Flightlogs probably explains what happend, hard to tell just reading your text.

Watched the video, drone crashed flying backwards. ATTI mode ?

cheers
JJB

2019-9-12
Use props
Ridg
First Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft

I suggest reading the manual, there's a number of points in your post as to why the drone would want to auto land

low battery
under some trees (bad gps?)
send my drone up into the trees (default behaviour if you've not changed the RTH altitude)

As suggested post your log but I'd expect it's going to suggest user error
2019-9-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience caused. May I ask what is the specific error message you receive in the application when the drone disconnected? Since as we review the video that you had provided, it seems that the location wherein you fly your drone might have signal interference that affecting the drone and its connection. Please note that magnetic interference can have a bad effect on image transmission and it can cause disconnection. I would recommend you fly in a place with a good signal and choose the best channel before the flight. Therefore, can you please try to fly in a different location to see if the problem will still persist. I will highly recommend calibrating the IMU and Compass also when flying in multiple location. Please keep us posted. Thank you for your kind and understanding.
2019-9-13
Use props
ELEVATING
lvl.1

DJI Gamora Posted at 9-13 09:43
Hi, thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience caused. May I ask what is the specific error message you receive in the application when the drone disconnected? Since as we review the video that you had provided, it seems that the location wherein you fly your drone might have signal interference that affecting the drone and its connection. Please note that magnetic interference can have a bad effect on image transmission and it can cause disconnection. I would recommend you fly in a place with a good signal and choose the best channel before the flight. Therefore, can you please try to fly in a different location to see if the problem will still persist. I will highly recommend calibrating the IMU and Compass also when flying in multiple location. Please keep us posted. Thank you for your kind and understanding.

Hi, there was good signal, I had flown around the same location before & it was fine... Log
2019-9-16
Use props
ELEVATING
lvl.1

JJB* Posted at 9-12 22:50
Hiya,

If you like post your flightlogs one here, using > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/1OQ1YHZNWZKRW6JDIW75
2019-9-16
Use props
ELEVATING
lvl.1

Ridg Posted at 9-12 23:12
I suggest reading the manual, there's a number of points in your post as to why the drone would want to auto land

low battery

It was low battery but if I was manually landing it why would it try to return home instead of landing where it was hovering like I was making it do. Like I said the app kept spamming me return home even though I clicked cancel & land manually about 4 times.
2019-9-16
Use props
Gimpy
Second Officer

This flight log appears to correspond to the video you linked to in your original post, though you seemed to also be describing a later flight. I don't know what happened in the later flight because you haven't provided a log for it, but this log does explain what caused the crash in the video.

You took off from Crest Trail, then flew roughly west towards the storage tank. Starting at around 0:55, you applied yaw that rotated the aircraft so that it was facing roughly south, then at about 1:23 you applied negative throttle, causing it to fly backwards towards the higher ground and eventually into the trees. Obstacle avoidance might have prevented this, but you were in Sport mode at the time, so OA was inoperative.
2019-9-16
Use props
Gimpy
Second Officer

ELEVATING Posted at 9-16 14:34
It was low battery but if I was manually landing it why would it try to return home instead of landing where it was hovering like I was making it do. Like I said the app kept spamming me return home even though I clicked cancel & land manually about 4 times.

If you upload the log from that later flight you described involving RTH problems I can take a look at it, but the one you linked to corresponds to the flight in the video.
2019-9-16
Use props
Gimpy
Second Officer

I just watched the video again and saw the "Drone disconnects here" caption. Based on that, I'm guessing that you lost the video (FPV) feed, but the log still shows that your remote was still connected to the drone. I suspect you thought the drone was still facing away from you and that by applying negative elevator it would return to you along roughly the same route it had traveled away, but in fact you had turned it to the left, so instead of flying towards you it flew backwards into the hill.
2019-9-16
Use props
ELEVATING
lvl.1

Gimpy Posted at 9-16 15:32
I just watched the video again and saw the "Drone disconnects here" caption. Based on that, I'm guessing that you lost the video (FPV) feed, but the log still shows that your remote was still connected to the drone. I suspect you thought the drone was still facing away from you and that by applying negative elevator it would return to you along roughly the same route it had traveled away, but in fact you had turned it to the left, so instead of flying towards you it flew backwards into the hill.

Hmmm probably but why did the feed disconnect anyways? I was prompted that the drone would return home after it disconnected but it was too late I guess...
2019-9-16
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12165479 ft
  • >>>

Bit confusing mixing 2 flights with your text in your first post.
Same with your text in post #11. "...too late i guess..."
Too late for what?  Your RTH 3x problem flight ended good, you did 'recover' your MA.

So if you like upload that RTH problem flight as well.

Gimpy has explained what happend, why it flew into the trees.

My first reaction when i looses only the video feed is to stop with any input on the RC.
So if will hover, time to think what to do.
If not LOS than use the attitude/compass indicator (does work as the data stream AC>RC is still alive) to steer towards home and apply fwd pitch only.
Ofcourse gain height before that if you know that there are obstacles in the fly path to home.
In VLOS do the same but that is more easy as you can see the drone, how it reacts on the RC input.

cheers
JJB

2019-9-16
Use props
Ridg
First Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft

ELEVATING Posted at 9-16 14:34

have you read the manual, once you've read it if you need further clarification let me know
2019-9-16
Use props
Gimpy
Second Officer

ELEVATING Posted at 9-16 16:45
Hmmm probably but why did the feed disconnect anyways? I was prompted that the drone would return home after it disconnected but it was too late I guess...

Those FPV disconnections are unfortunately pretty common with the MA, and I've seen people identify many different things that fixed the problem for them. Carbon fiber propellers apparently can cause the video feed to drop out, while others have found that they needed to set their mobile device to airplane mode or remove an Apple Watch (or other similar wearable device) while flying to prevent the problem.
2019-9-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

ELEVATING Posted at 9-16 14:26
Hi, there was good signal, I had flown around the same location before & it was fine... Log

Thank you for the additional information. May I know what happens prior to the issue happens? Are you currently using an updated firmware? Also, after the crash? did you receive any error message? I understand that you fly the same location, however, can you please try to fly in a different location and not on the same location where the incident happen for us to further isolate the problem? Please keep us posted. Thank you!
2019-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules