Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 2 Pro Variable ND - Too Good To Be True?
2062 19 2019-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
QuadcopterGuide
lvl.4
Flight distance : 828904 ft
  • >>>

Hey guys,

I got a chance to test out the new Variable ND filters for the Mavic 2 Pro from Freewell. Check out how they performed and also a cool Intro sequence!

What do you think?
2019-9-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Felix. Thank you for sharing this video you have created. Impressive work and thank you for your support.
2019-9-16
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

Interesting concept and will save switching out ND's between flights which can be a pain in dusty conditions
2019-9-16
Use props
QuadcopterGuide
lvl.4
  • >>>

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-16 08:06
Hello and good day Felix. Thank you for sharing this video you have created. Impressive work and thank you for your support.

Hi Stephen, thanks for checking out the video! Which was your favorite part?
2019-9-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

QuadcopterGuide Posted at 9-16 10:58
Hi Stephen, thanks for checking out the video! Which was your favorite part?

You are very much welcome Felix. The part of the video I like the most is the part where you explained the tricky light scenario part. It was well discussed and explained. Again great work and keep on filming. .
2019-9-16
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft

That one person that commented on the youtube video, stated that they returned it, as it wasn't practical to use in the real world, due to changing lighting conditions.  That comment made no sense, as the variable ND filters make it much easier to record in changing light conditions.  Overall though, this is a great looking product.  Too bad amazon currently has no more from Freewell at the moment.
2019-9-16
Use props
QuadcopterGuide
lvl.4
  • >>>

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-16 11:13
You are very much welcome Felix. The part of the video I like the most is the part where you explained the tricky light scenario part. It was well discussed and explained. Again great work and keep on filming.  .

Awesome man, appreciate you getting back to me. Yea that direct sunlight through the trees was a challange for any kind of camera sensor .
2019-9-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

I bought a pair of these and so far been very pleased with them,  makes it super quick to change especially if i want to switch between film and photography.  I did find them slightly tighter to fit than the polar pro filter but then onces its on Im unlikely to change it that often.
2019-9-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

QuadcopterGuide Posted at 9-16 22:57
Awesome man, appreciate you getting back to me. Yea that direct sunlight through the trees was a challange for any kind of camera sensor .

It is always my pleasure Felix. Again great work and thank you for supporting DJI. .
2019-9-17
Use props
MrTitan
lvl.4
  • >>>

Neo Supreme Posted at 9-16 11:24
That one person that commented on the youtube video, stated that they returned it, as it wasn't practical to use in the real world, due to changing lighting conditions.  That comment made no sense, as the variable ND filters make it much easier to record in changing light conditions.  Overall though, this is a great looking product.  Too bad amazon currently has no more from Freewell at the moment.

I believe that, after a brief initial production run, some minor improvements have been made to the design and an updated version will be released shortly.  No exact date’s been given though.
2019-9-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

Still rather useless if you can't adjust it while in flight.
2019-9-19
Use props
MrTitan
lvl.4
  • >>>

Montfrooij Posted at 9-19 05:22
Still rather useless if you can't adjust it while in flight.

Nah, they really are a vast improvement over the need to keep swapping out filters. A two second twist of a rotating filter lens is far, far quicker, safer and easier compared to removing, storing and replacing independent nd filters between flights.
2019-9-20
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13925922 ft
  • >>>

DAFlys Posted at 9-17 01:01
I bought a pair of these and so far been very pleased with them,  makes it super quick to change especially if i want to switch between film and photography.  I did find them slightly tighter to fit than the polar pro filter but then onces its on Im unlikely to change it that often.

I'm not pleased.
I was excited to have found a filter that would make constant ND filter change unnecessary.
In the countryside on a sunny day I used it for the first time. I set it to ND4.
On my tablets screen I already found the colors akward, very green and oversaturated.
Back home I did a comparison with the original DJI ND and the original Hasselblad UV Filter.
See below.

The Freewell Filter ads massive green. It seems to also have a polarizing effect when I look at the sky.
Note how much more dense it is by looking at the shutter speed:
With the DJI ND4 it was 1/320s, on the Freewell ND4 it was 1/25s!!
All images were shot at f/4, WB was 5800.

I'll try to return those. To me this is garbage.

2019-9-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

MrTitan Posted at 9-20 15:47
Nah, they really are a vast improvement over the need to keep swapping out filters. A two second twist of a rotating filter lens is far, far quicker, safer and easier compared to removing, storing and replacing independent nd filters between flights.

I agree with that, but still, when you are in the air you can't change (rotate) the filter for different lighting conditions.
2019-9-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

Eric13 Posted at 9-21 06:33
I'm not pleased.
I was excited to have found a filter that would make constant ND filter change unnecessary.
In the countryside on a sunny day I used it for the first time. I set it to ND4.

Your shutter times are massively different,  Are you sure your setting the freewell correct,  setting it to 4 does not mean ND4 is means 4 stops which would be ND16.

F Stops as labelled on Freewell     ND  Equivelent

2019-9-22
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>

DAFlys Posted at 9-22 23:22
Your shutter times are massively different,  Are you sure your setting the freewell correct,  setting it to 4 does not mean ND4 is means 4 stops which would be ND16.

Ok, that explains the different shutter speeds.
Still - it is in no way a Neutral Density Filter.
It could be called a Dense Color filter ;-)
2019-9-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

Eric13 Posted at 9-23 01:33
Ok, that explains the different shutter speeds.
Still - it is in no way a Neutral Density Filter.
It could be called a Dense Color filter ;-)

Longer exposures will change the colour profile,  I would try setting it as ND4 and retaking the shots to compare.  1/25s vs 1/1000 is a big leap and typically the faster the shutter the less colour you'll see, thats why landscape photographers use long exposure wherever possible as they get better/more colour.
2019-9-23
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>

DAFlys Posted at 9-23 01:47
Longer exposures will change the colour profile,  I would try setting it as ND4 and retaking the shots to compare.  1/25s vs 1/1000 is a big leap and typically the faster the shutter the less colour you'll see, thats why landscape photographers use long exposure wherever possible as they get better/more colour.

See below.
DJI ND4 compared with Freewell set at ZERO or whatever they call this (that matches the DJI filter more or less in shutter speed) and set at "2". Same effect. Also with setting for 3 and 5, it's all the same:
Heavy on the yellow/green side. That should just not happen.
I know I can adjust that in post but still: This is not ND.

2019-9-23
Use props
Freewell
lvl.4

Eric13 Posted at 9-21 06:33
I'm not pleased.
In the countryside on a sunny day I used it for the first time. I set it to ND4.

Hey Eric,

Just looking at your picture I can be very sure that's not an ND4 for sure.

VND is not a complete replacement to your straight ND which is well know fact in industry ofcourse when you spending 50 VS 150 or even more you have to work something on the post, So apart from the 1-2 issues we have received on this product overall it is performing as it should without causing lot vignette which is the most common issue with VND.

If you need any help please feel free to get in touch with us on care@freewellgear.com

Thanks
Harry
2019-9-23
Use props
QuadcopterGuide
lvl.4
  • >>>

DAFlys Posted at 9-17 01:01
I bought a pair of these and so far been very pleased with them,  makes it super quick to change especially if i want to switch between film and photography.  I did find them slightly tighter to fit than the polar pro filter but then onces its on Im unlikely to change it that often.

very cool! As I mentioned in the Video it may not be for everyone, but for those either shooting without any filter or just the VND i think the improvement for getting the shutter speed down, it's a great solution.
2019-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules