Best lube / maintenance protocol for Meccanum wheels?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gpvillamil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210226 ft

One of the things I learned at this weekend's meetup is the importance of maintenance and lubrication for the Meccanum wheels. It seems like it is super useful to take them apart, clean and relubricate with some frequency. The robot is a lot quieter when you do this!

Any thoughts on the best lubricant to use? The tube that comes with it is labelled "lithium grease". Having done a bit of research, it seems that lithium is actually best for metal on metal. I've used a lot of Super Lube (PTFE based) with plastic parts. The manufacturer claims that it is very compatible with ABS.

Any opinions from the group?
2019-9-16
Use props
BGA
lvl.4

This is the one I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80345-White-Lithium-Grease/dp/B000HBNV58/ref=sr_1_5?crid=YXDZ9LY9SK44&keywords=lithium+grease&qid=1568658357&sprefix=lithium+grease%2Caps%2C180&sr=8-5

I am not sure this is ideal, but it seems to be working for me.

The Robomaster manual claims you should reapply the grease every 60 to 80 hours of use but that is assuming you would be playing on ideal even surfaces (which was not the case Sunday, for example). I have been doing it every week mostly due to heavy usage during the "shiny new thing" period.

2019-9-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day gpvillamil. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your insights with regards to this matter. I hope that you will get the best information from our valued DJI members who has the DJI Robomaster S1 with regards to this matter. Have a safe driving and a happy programming always.
2019-9-16
Use props
gpvillamil
lvl.4

BGA Posted at 9-16 10:26
This is the one I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80345-White-Lithium-Grease/dp/B000HBNV58/ref=sr_1_5?crid=YXDZ9LY9SK44&keywords=lithium+grease&qid=1568658357&sprefix=lithium+grease%2Caps%2C180&sr=8-5

I got that one too, thank you!

Do you do any significant cleaning when you have the wheels apart?
2019-9-16
Use props
BGA
lvl.4

gpvillamil Posted at 9-16 10:35
I got that one too, thank you!

Do you do any significant cleaning when you have the wheels apart?

Not particularly, no. I just make sure there is no debris or dust behind the rollers.
2019-9-16
Use props
gpvillamil
lvl.4

Just finished a thorough cleaning and lube, difference is night and day!
2019-9-16
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>

My biggest challenge is ... hair getting stuck in the wheels. Gonna ask the female members of my household to shave their heads ...
2019-9-17
Use props
BGA
lvl.4

gpvillamil Posted at 9-16 19:57
Just finished a thorough cleaning and lube, difference is night and day!

There you go. Now you know why mine was not noisy. ;)
2019-9-17
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4

LOL but those dirt patches in our battle were great.  Sand trap!  

I still have to clean mine, need re-assembly.  Rollers looking kinda rough but still ok.  Driven hard over lots of rough concrete though, and they are still holding up fine.
2019-9-18
Use props
BGA
lvl.4

MarkusXL Posted at 9-18 09:23
LOL but those dirt patches in our battle were great.  Sand trap!  

I still have to clean mine, need re-assembly.  Rollers looking kinda rough but still ok.  Driven hard over lots of rough concrete though, and they are still holding up fine.

There are spare mechanum wheels for sale:

https://www.amazon.com/RCGEEK-Co ... 68828467&sr=8-6

I will give those a go whenever I think the wheels need to be replaced. Although they are a bit on the expensive side currently. They are unofficial though and AFAICS, SJI is not selling replacement wheels yet.
2019-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules