Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is it normal for the drone to move down on stop?
525 9 2019-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ELEVATING
lvl.1

I notice if I am flying & then stop, the drone drops down about a feet before it hovers, pretty much every time, is that normal?
2019-9-16
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. May we know if this scenario would occur every flight? Have you tried to calibrate the IMU and compass prior to your flight? It's recommended to send a video showing the behavior for further assistance. Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for your support.
2019-9-16
Use props
ELEVATING
lvl.1

DJI Tony Posted at 9-16 14:53
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. May we know if this scenario would occur every flight? Have you tried to calibrate the IMU and compass prior to your flight? It's recommended to send a video showing the behavior for further assistance. Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for your support.

Yes I did calibrate, I will film it next time I use it, thanks.
2019-9-16
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4

Some loss of altitude is normal, but dropping a full foot when stopping isn't. Can you post a flight log showing the behavior when you're flying over level ground and stopping several or more times?
2019-9-16
Use props
ELEVATING
lvl.1

Gimpy Posted at 9-16 15:02
Some loss of altitude is normal, but dropping a full foot when stopping isn't. Can you post a flight log showing the behavior when you're flying over level ground and stopping several or more times?

Log: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/XMUSUF2ETYOIT5M5EUBW/

Video: https://youtu.be/yThWU9PvpXI
The video clip starts at 1:33 the first drop happens around 1:41

2019-9-16
Use props
djiuser_IJ7oTXK2Xt8l
lvl.2

ELEVATING Posted at 9-16 15:38
Log: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/XMUSUF2ETYOIT5M5EUBW/

Video: https://youtu.be/yThWU9PvpXI

I think thats normal in sport mode. Have you tried the calibrations DJITony suggested?
2019-9-16
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1695351 ft

maybe try forcing pure opti to chk persist of discrepancy.
underground bunker suits pure opti.
responsiveness of barometer elevation tracking maybe? to the nearest foot?
2019-9-16
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4

I can't be certain because some loss of height is normal and a larger drop in Sport mode is normal too, but for the most part I think your MA was behaving correctly. Notice how the drop mostly actually occurred at the end of the "sprint" after you're already almost completely stopped? Looking at the log, I see that right after you released the throttle (at 2:05.9) the VPS sensor indicated that the ground was about 5 feet below the aircraft. As it drifts to a stop for a few more seconds, the VPS sensor height quickly increases until it peaks at 10.5 feet (at 2:07.7), and once your MA has stopped, it descends back down to a height closer to where it was before, though it does ultimately wind up a couple of feet lower than where it started. You can also see that the ground just past the end of the paved area does appear to be a little lower, so at least some of that VPS height increase is probably correct, though it admittedly doesn't look like there was a 5-6 foot drop as the sensor data implies.

The bottom line is that to some extent this looks normal, but like you, I'm a little surprised at how much it dropped, and watching the video it didn't look to me like you were ever really 10 feet above the ground despite what VPS indicated. In addition to the IMU calibration already suggested, I'd also try calibrating the VPS sensors and see if that helps.

2019-9-17
Use props
ELEVATING
lvl.1

Gimpy Posted at 9-17 02:37
I can't be certain because some loss of height is normal and a larger drop in Sport mode is normal too, but for the most part I think your MA was behaving correctly. Notice how the drop mostly actually occurred at the end of the "sprint" after you're already almost completely stopped? Looking at the log, I see that right after you released the throttle (at 2:05.9) the VPS sensor indicated that the ground was about 5 feet below the aircraft. As it drifts to a stop for a few more seconds, the VPS sensor height quickly increases until it peaks at 10.5 feet (at 2:07.7), and once your MA has stopped, it descends back down to a height closer to where it was before, though it does ultimately wind up a couple of feet lower than where it started. You can also see that the ground just past the end of the paved area does appear to be a little lower, so at least some of that VPS height increase is probably correct, though it admittedly doesn't look like there was a 5-6 foot drop as the sensor data implies.

The bottom line is that to some extent this looks normal, but like you, I'm a little surprised at how much it dropped, and watching the video it didn't look to me like you were ever really 10 feet above the ground despite what VPS indicated. In addition to the IMU calibration already suggested, I'd also try calibrating the VPS sensors and see if that helps.

I'll try that next time I fly, thanks.
2019-9-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

ELEVATING Posted at 9-16 15:02
Yes I did calibrate, I will film it next time I use it, thanks.

Thanks for the clarification. Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you!
2019-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules