Swelling battery
719250 719250 2019-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dthawk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5493514 ft
  • >>>

I have 5 batteries for my DJI Mavic 2 Pro.  Out of 5 batteries. I have one battery is swollen enough that I dont trust it to fly my Drone.  The battery was bought in January 2019.  I doubt DJI will do anything to resolve my issues. However it seems this is a problem for many Mavic 2 owners.  Add me to the list.

David Hawkins
Plano Texas.

Mavic 2 battery

Mavic 2 battery
2019-9-17
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft

When was the battery manufactured?  Go4 or flight logs will show this information.
2019-9-17
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Do you mean that you have others that are less swollen that you feel comfortable enough to fly with them???
2019-9-17
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

Are all 5 swollen? Wow!
2019-9-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

We are deeply sorry to know that one of your batteries got swollen and we also do not recommend using this for later flights.  The lifespan and condition of the battery depending on the totality of how it was used and all. Please contact a professional battery disposal/recycling agent for further assistance. Hoping for your understanding that every electronic product has a certain warranty period.  For reference, I will attach a link below for some battery info and guidelines. We appreciate your understanding in this matter. Thank you.

https://store.dji.com/guides/battery-care-important-think/
2019-9-18
Use props
SIG-FG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 646014 ft

Link to my battery issues
2019-9-18
Use props
Jose C. Borrero
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1170768 ft

I stand firmly to my post about battery swollen. Read!
2019-9-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

Another one bites the swollen battery dust....
2019-9-19
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.3
  • >>>

El Diabolico Posted at 9-17 22:15
Do you mean that you have others that are less swollen that you feel comfortable enough to fly with them???

No. All my other 4 batteries are fine and not swollen.  Only 1 of my batteries have this issue.  I do live in Texas and fly sometimes in very hot conditions.  Maybe the summer conditions are attributing to the issue.
2019-9-19
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.3
  • >>>

A J Posted at 9-17 23:02
Are all 5 swollen? Wow!

Please RE READ my post again to answer your question.
2019-9-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>

All this looks like is a battery sitting on something could you please go to the bother of photographing the damage as this picture is not clear what’s wrong.
I don’t doubt the battery has a problem but please show us just what that is .
I mean there must be an amazing bulge in that battery to stand up so tall .
2019-9-19
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.3
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 9-17 21:53
When was the battery manufactured?  Go4 or flight logs will show this information.

The battery with the issue was made in Nov 2018.  It still shows the battery life at 97%  
2019-9-19
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>

Dthawk Posted at 9-19 08:49
Please RE READ my post again to answer your question.

Having RE READ your post you state "I have one battery is swollen enough that I don't trust it to fly my drone". This implies you may have other batteries that are swollen but still, IYO, good enough to fly.

Perhaps you should RE WRITE your post for better clarification...
2019-9-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>

I’ve asked already but you haven’t posted a photo of the swelling on this battery, it doesn’t help anyone to post what looks like a photo which is just as likely to be a fake picture as a battery that has severe swelling, I will ask again, can you post a photo of the actual damage to your battery.
2019-9-20
Use props
djiuser_IJ7oTXK2Xt8l
lvl.2

Dthawk Posted at 9-19 09:13
The battery with the issue was made in Nov 2018.  It still shows the battery life at 97%

What are the dates of the four that are still ok?
2019-9-20
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>

Everyone should just make one thread and pool all the serial numbers together that have swollen batteries.
2019-9-20
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.3
  • >>>

A J Posted at 9-19 09:16
Having RE READ your post you state "I have one battery is swollen enough that I don't trust it to fly my drone". This implies you may have other batteries that are swollen but still, IYO, good enough to fly.

Perhaps you should RE WRITE your post for better clarification...

Correct. Only 1 battery is swollen at the time of my post.  But now I have another battery that is swollen as of today, Sept 21.  That makes 2 batteries out of 5 batteries that are now swollen.  

Recap.  2 batteries are swollen.  3 batteries are good.
2019-9-21
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.3
  • >>>

I posted earlier in the week of my first swollen battery. Now I have a second battery that is too swollen to fly for my Mavic 2 Pro.

Purchased: Dec 31st, 2018
Manufactured: Aug 27th, 2018
Printed Serial: 0P2AF8T53406NT
Last Flight: Sep 21st, 2019 8:14AM
Battery Life: 97%  

I have a total of 5 batteries. Now 2 of them are now swollen.  This is INSANE!  and the battery life is at 97%

2019-9-21
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.3
  • >>>

PHOTO
2019-9-21
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.3
  • >>>

My other swollen battery serial # and battery life.
2019-9-21
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.3
  • >>>

iPhone photo of my swollen batteries. Dont know if this shows the curve on the bottom. But both are swollen enough I dont want to fly them.
2019-9-21
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>

Dthawk Posted at 9-21 07:13
Correct. Only 1 battery is swollen at the time of my post.  But now I have another battery that is swollen as of today, Sept 21.  That makes 2 batteries out of 5 batteries that are now swollen.  

Recap.  2 batteries are swollen.  3 batteries are good.

Seems to be a universal problem affecting quite a few.
2019-9-21
Use props
fans8b803c8d
lvl.4
Flight distance : 55305 ft
  • >>>

Definitely don't fly with them in this condition. I recently had two swollen M2 batteries were clearly unsafe for use and DJI confirmed this. One almost popped out in-flight and triggered a faulty battery connection warning on-screen. DJI offered a 20% discount on two replacements. Both batteries were manufactured in Jul 2018. There's a pattern here, I suspect a bad manufacturing batch but DJI are not admitting to anything.

Now a third battery with the same manufacture date is showing signs of swelling, I tested it in the M2P today and it didn't slot easily into the battery compartment. Hovered a few feet off the ground and watched the battery temperature rise steadily over a couple of minutes from 28˚C to 37˚C . The maximum discharge battery temperature tolerance is 40˚C so I didn't push my luck and landed.

All these batteries had around 20 recharge cycles, well below the 200 in the warranty but over the 6 month warranty period so they're not eligible for free replacement. They are never fully discharged and are stored long term at normal room temperature with the 40% to 60% recommended charge.

I've booked a service slot with DJI and it looks like i'll be forking out for another replacement.
2019-9-21
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.3
  • >>>

fans8b803c8d Posted at 9-21 09:57
Definitely don't fly with them in this condition. I recently had two swollen M2 batteries were clearly unsafe for use and DJI confirmed this. One almost popped out in-flight and triggered a faulty battery connection warning on-screen. DJI offered a 20% discount on two replacements. Both batteries were manufactured in Jul 2018. There's a pattern here, I suspect a bad manufacturing batch but DJI are not admitting to anything.

Now a third battery with the same manufacture date is showing signs of swelling, I tested it in the M2P today and it didn't slot easily into the battery compartment. Hovered a few feet off the ground and watched the battery temperature rise steadily over a couple of minutes from 28˚C to 37˚C . The maximum discharge battery temperature tolerance is 40˚C so I didn't push my luck and landed.

Think I will do the same on Monday. Give a phone call to DJI customer service.  At $140 each for a replacement battery. Ouch! Thanks!
2019-9-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dthawk. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the batteries of your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Battery bulging or swelling is basically caused by to much heat, vast changes in temperature and/or moisture getting into the battery itself. The lifespan and condition of the battery will depend on the totality of how it was used. Hoping for your kind understanding that every electronic product and batteries has a certain warranty period and lifespan. For safety purposes please do not use bloated or bulging batteries when flying or operating your drone so that the drone's performance will not be affected or compromised . Using bloated or bulging batteries might lead to damaging of the aircraft, or worse, damage to property. You may also get in-touch with our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for additional assistance. Again I am sorry and thank you for understanding.
2019-9-21
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft

Yet more from August 18 manufacture.

DJI certainly dont seem to want to admit it but a significant number of people have swollen batteries from 07 and 08 2018 manufacture.

MavicPilots forum has a large thread on it as well.

I worked out with 3 new batteries i was paying $7.50 per flight out of the old ones.  They wouldnt touch it as a warranty as they were 1 month over the 6 month cover when all 3 of my flymore kit ones died.  All had 20 cycles.
2019-9-22
Use props
FlyBa2018
lvl.4

What's a pity! Also many similar cases reported by Chinese players.
2019-9-22
Use props
Fre Mo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 803868 ft

Dthawk Posted at 9-21 07:42
[view_image]
iPhone photo of my swollen batteries. Dont know if this shows the curve on the bottom. But both are swollen enough I dont want to fly them.

what charger do you use?
2019-9-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

FlyBa2018 Posted at 9-22 17:17
What's a pity! Also many similar cases reported by Chinese players.

This is getting silly,  about time DJI did something about this.
2019-9-23
Use props
fans8b803c8d
lvl.4
  • >>>

Today I took my 3rd swollen M2 battery (manufactured Jun 2018 with 17 recharge cycles) to the DJI flagship store here in Hong Kong and made a polite fuss about the fairly widespread reports of this fault.

Previously DJI offered to replace the first two batteries at a 20% discount, which I accepted, but this time they have offered a free replacement.

Maybe they made allowance for the fact it was the third case for me or perhaps they are quietly acknowledging that there is an issue with this early batch of batteries, I'm not sure, but goodwill has been restored and you may wish to cite my case to support your own. Good luck!
2019-9-23
Use props
fans8b803c8d
lvl.4
  • >>>

And thanks DJI for the generous and considerate gesture!
2019-9-23
Use props
HyLenz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1848182 ft

I updated firmware yesterday then took a short shakedown flight. Visual inspection before the flight did not show any problems with the battery. Snapped in as usual. Landed and found the battery unlatched on one side and still barley latched on the other. No warnings in the app about battery connection (thought firmware was supposed to... nevermind). Had to work a little to get the battery out as it was sorta wedged in the compartment due to swelling, thankfully in retrospect. I inspected all 3 batteries and all have some bulging, but the one i just flew with was affected more. If i set them on the table with the label down they rock -don't sit flat- a lot, even when they are cold. They are relatively young batteries as the bird does not have a lot of time on it, not even close (by 75 or so charge cycles) to my old MP batteries and it did not have this problem. I will check dates to verify but the M2P was bought in August 2018. I will admit at times i am guilty of keeping batteries stored charged for a week or so at a time during trips/planning. I did not change my battery use habits from when i flew my MP hundreds of times all through 2017. Obviously these M2P batteries have problems the old MP batteries did not, and they cost A LOT more. It's a shame i have to spend $450 USD on batteries after a year of very light flying. I will give support a shot.
2019-9-23
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.3
  • >>>

Fre Mo Posted at 9-23 00:03
what charger do you use?

I use the DJI charger and HUB to charge my all my batteries.
2019-9-23
Use props
HyLenz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1848182 ft

HyLenz Posted at 9-23 04:56
I updated firmware yesterday then took a short shakedown flight. Visual inspection before the flight did not show any problems with the battery. Snapped in as usual. Landed and found the battery unlatched on one side and still barley latched on the other. No warnings in the app about battery connection (thought firmware was supposed to... nevermind). Had to work a little to get the battery out as it was sorta wedged in the compartment due to swelling, thankfully in retrospect. I inspected all 3 batteries and all have some bulging, but the one i just flew with was affected more. If i set them on the table with the label down they rock -don't sit flat- a lot, even when they are cold. They are relatively young batteries as the bird does not have a lot of time on it, not even close (by 75 or so charge cycles) to my old MP batteries and it did not have this problem. I will check dates to verify but the M2P was bought in August 2018. I will admit at times i am guilty of keeping batteries stored charged for a week or so at a time during trips/planning. I did not change my battery use habits from when i flew my MP hundreds of times all through 2017. Obviously these M2P batteries have problems the old MP batteries did not, and they cost A LOT more. It's a shame i have to spend $450 USD on batteries after a year of very light flying. I will give support a shot.

Update: Battery Details. Batteries included with Fly More Combo in August 2018. Always charged on DJI 4 port charger included with FMC.

Battery #1 Swollen = 21 Charge Cycles, Production Date: 2018.7, Status: Normal
Battery #2 Swollen = 19 Charge Cycles, Production Date: 2018.8, Status: Normal
Battery #3 Swollen = 22 Charge Cycles, Production Date: 2018.7, Status, Normal

$159USD x 3 = $477 / 62 Flights = $7.69 per flight. Ouch!

Opening a support case today...
2019-9-24
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

All 3 of my batteries are from 9/18 and no swelling each battery has 65 cycles maybe closer to 70 now each
2019-9-24
Use props
daddioJP
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1774741 ft

I too have recently started experiencing swelling issues with M2P batteries. Here are the stats, and some images:
-- purchased M2P on release date, with 1 battery
-- purchased Fly More Combo on release date, with 3 batteries
-- ALL 4 of these batteries were manufactured in July or August of 2018
-- 1 of these has recently exhibited swelling that caused it to not fit securely in the M2P after landing (see photo)
-- 1 more of these 4 has very slight swelling; the other 2 seem okay for now
-- these 4 batteries have anywhere from 27 - 32 flights, and 21 - 23 charges
-- max temps on these 4 batteries ranged from 132 to 140 degrees F
-- batteries all charged using DJI's charging hub, most were flown within 1 - 4 days of charging

DJI - What can you do about this?
2019-9-24
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.3
  • >>>

Swelling batteries now cracking on top

On my previous postings on my two swollen batteries for my Mavic 2 Pro.  Both batteries are now showing cracks on the top near the On/Off button.  

I contact DJI and they have agreeded to take a look at them.  I am sending them off today.  Time will tell and see what they say.
Attached Photos.

IMG_0117.JPG
2019-9-26
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.3
  • >>>

1st BATTERY PHOTO 2
2019-9-26
Use props
Dthawk