Terrible range CE mode
2123 14 2019-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tezzo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2254 ft

Hi,
I'm flying my DJI Mavic 2 Zoom from my rooftop and there are no obstacles between the controller and the drone.
But yet I can only fly 1km (3200 feet) before it initializes an RTH.
I live in South Africa where we use CE mode.
I'm flying in a residential area with some buildings and house in the area.

Please help.
Thanks.

2019-9-18
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>

It would appear that the WiFi in the area is causing interference - I've reached 2 miles in a CE area with my M2P without signal loss. Head out to more remote locations and you will see a massive increase in range.
2019-9-18
Use props
Tezzo
lvl.3

A J Posted at 9-18 22:46
It would appear that the WiFi in the area is causing interference - I've reached 2 miles in a CE area with my M2P without signal loss. Head out to more remote locations and you will see a massive increase in range.

I owned an Autel Evo before and I was flying over 4km with no signal loss.
I was flying from the same spot as the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom.
2019-9-18
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>

Tezzo Posted at 9-18 22:53
I owned an Autel Evo before and I was flying over 4km with no signal loss.
I was flying from the same spot as the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom.

It will depend on the level of interference of course. The more houses in the residential area using WiFi at the time of the flight the more interference you will experience. If you take off first thing in the morning you will experience less interference than say early evening when most people are home from work and using their WiFi routers. You can also manually switch from 2.4ghz to 5.8 - this will cut through WiFi more efficiently but has a lesser range than 2.4. When flying in areas free of interference you can reach >3.5KM in a CE area using the standard RC as advertised by DJI and at least 5KM in FCC compliant areas. I've seen YT videos of pilots exceeding six miles in the US with no signal loss flying the M2P. In the UK it is illegal to fly these drones within 150m of a residential/congested area anyway.
2019-9-18
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft

You can unlock FCC mode if necessary but the implications legally and otherwise if something happens could be serious.

To give some perspective I used to get between 800m to perhaps 1.2 km when I first got the drone and flying in built up areas. I now fly within vlos ie 500 meters.

Agree though, the difference between the two modes is rather large.
2019-9-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. Can you please try to fly in a different location to see if the problem persist? Also, please note that magnetic interference can have a bad effect on image transmission and it can cause disconnection. I would recommend you fly in a place with a good signal and choose the best channel before the flight. Please keep us posted. Thank you!
2019-9-19
Use props
Tezzo
lvl.3

DJI Gamora Posted at 9-19 08:24
Hi, thank you reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. Can you please try to fly in a different location to see if the problem persist? Also, please note that magnetic interference can have a bad effect on image transmission and it can cause disconnection. I would recommend you fly in a place with a good signal and choose the best channel before the flight. Please keep us posted. Thank you!

As I said, I owned an Autel Evo and I was getting over 4km without any signal loss.
And I was flying from the very same spot.
2019-9-19
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>

I live in South Africa as well, Durban and in a full built up Urban area on CE I get around 5km LOS when using the FCC app I pushed way past the 8.3km mark and still had full signal.
2019-9-20
Use props
Tezzo
lvl.3

Suren Posted at 9-20 00:07
I live in South Africa as well, Durban and in a full built up Urban area on CE I get around 5km LOS when using the FCC app I pushed way past the 8.3km mark and still had full signal.

Hi Suren,
Can you tell me how you switched to FCC mode?
What app do you use?

Thanks.
2019-9-20
Use props
raven swe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 517936 ft

This is how I did it

https://nolimitdronez.com/
2019-9-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>

If your getting bad range it’s because of your environment your flying in or the set up you are using , residential areas are going to have an effect on your signal.
You said you could fly your Autel 4K begs the question why you would sell it .
2019-9-20
Use props
zappy54
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482260 ft

Built up areas CE is useless since I been on FCC its been nearly double distance in same area
2019-9-20
Use props
Tezzo
lvl.3

raven swe Posted at 9-20 04:00
This is how I did it

https://nolimitdronez.com/

Thanks ravin swe
2019-9-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Tezzo Posted at 9-19 22:20
As I said, I owned an Autel Evo and I was getting over 4km without any signal loss.
And I was flying from the very same spot.

Hi, thank you for the additional information. We understand that you have a different drone, however, we cannot further diagnose the problem since the drone that you are referring to is not a DJI product. Also, the most of the cause of the interference would be any wireless signal that interfering signals from the RC to the Aircraft especially when flying in the Urban area. I hope you understand. Thank you.
2019-9-20
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>

Tezzo Posted at 9-20 02:44
Hi Suren,
Can you tell me how you switched to FCC mode?
What app do you use?

Send me a pm and I will send you the links or email me on munoo.suren@gmail.com, I cannot put those up on this forum.
2019-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules