Mavic 2 Pro - Upwards Obstacle Detection. Drone wont take off
4637 14 2019-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hazem
lvl.1
Flight distance : 298386 ft

My mavic 2 pro has been working flawlessly since purchase in April. Yesterday, I updated the new firmware and went to fly it. Though when the drone goes to take-off it raises approximately 10cm before landing again (with the rotors slowing to about half speed). I have an "upwards obstacle message" on my display (the only reason I can note that my drone will not take-off properly). I have since recalibrated the IMU and compass via the DJI GO 4 app and recalibrated the sensors on the DJI Assistant via my PC (all done numerous times). I have also downgraded to the previous firmware version thinking that it might have been the update. None of this has worked and I have reinstalled to the newest version.
My drone is in immaculate condition. no dust or particles on the sensors. It is showing that each rotor is getting the necessary voltage. It was bought new and has only been flown on  approximately 15-20 occasions. I fly with no interference around, as I am in a rural area with alot of space.
Any help would be appreciated.
2019-9-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Hazem, sorry for the difficulties, please check if the Upward Infrared Sensing system and Downward Vision System and Doward Infrared Sensing system are obstructed. If the issue persists, may we have a screenshot of the error message for further support?
2019-9-19
Use props
Hazem
lvl.1

DJI Mindy Posted at 9-19 20:02
Hi Hazem, sorry for the difficulties, please check if the Upward Infrared Sensing system and Downward Vision System and Doward Infrared Sensing system are obstructed. If the issue persists, may we have a screenshot of the error message for further support?

Thanks for the reply Mindy.
Do you mean a physical obstruction (i.e.  dust or something stuck to the infrared panels), or is there a system check somewhere in the DJI Go 4 app?
I can assure you that both of the panels are clean. Also there are no other external obstructions as I have tried flying from several open areas. I will take a screenshot and upload it with this response
2019-9-19
Use props
Hazem
lvl.1

2019-9-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Thanks for the screenshot, the Upward Infrared Sensing System detected the obstacles which triggered landing.
Could you please upload the corresponding flight data to Dropbox or Google Drive an post the link here so that we can forward to our engineers for analysis? Thank you in advance. GTScreenshot_20190920_213346.png
2019-9-20
Use props
Hazem
lvl.1

Apologies Mindy.

I have since taken the drone back to the retailer who were able to swap it out for a new one.
Hopefully it was a one off problem and no-one else has difficulties with there infrared

I appreciate the replies.

Thank you,
2019-9-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hazem Posted at 9-22 16:18
Apologies Mindy.

I have since taken the drone back to the retailer who were able to swap it out for a new one.

Glad to know the retailer was able to swap the drone, hope the issue will not happen again. If there is any further problem, please feel free to let us know.
2019-9-22
Use props
djiuser_ZUTWukPE0S1Q
New

Czechia

Hello,

I have a same problem like hazem. Dji mavic 2 Zoom and UPWARD OBSTACLE DETECTED.

I tried to calibrate the sensors, but I couldn't.

Do you have any advice on how to solve the situation? Thank you in advance.

Stanislav
2020-2-25
Use props
Hazem
lvl.1
Australia

djiuser_ZUTWukPE0S1Q Posted at 2-25 23:46
Hello,

I have a same problem like hazem. Dji mavic 2 Zoom and UPWARD OBSTACLE DETECTED.

Unfortunately i was never able to resolve this issue. My retailer who i bought through was able to swap mine over for a new one.
Hopefully you are able to find a solution!
2020-2-26
Use props
djiuser_eIFyvlE8OKA2
New
Flight distance : 261732 ft

Canada

I am having the same issue....

Here is what I've tried so far:

Ensuring sensors are clean and free of any debris or dust
Firmware refresh
Calibration via Assistant 2

Still the same issue.  When I try to take off I get an upward obstacle detected on the screen, and when I look at the aircraft overall status page it says Infrared sensor error contact DJI for support...
2020-4-12
Use props
djiuser_khgRCb5Ofu9E
lvl.1

United States

I recently purchased the Mavic-2 Zoom.  I also purchased a set of sexy orange propellers from Master Airscrew.  The first times I tried to take off, I received the "upward obstacle detected" warning and the drone would jump up about 6 inches and immediately land.  I took it to a neighbor who is a drone pilot and after several attempts, it finally launched.   Since then, it has been operating sporadically until today when it absolutely refused to take off.  I was at wits end as I had tried everything from ensuring firmware updates were current and no-fly zone exemption was current.  Finally, in desperation, I removed the "sexy orange propellers" and reinstalled the stock DJI propellers that had come with the drone.  My drone immediately took off and I haven't had a problem with the "upward obstacle detected" since.  Placing the propellers together, I discovered that my "sexy orange propellers" are about 1/4" (1/8" on each side) longer than the DJI stock propellers.  I'm just guessing that the lighting conditions and possibly the color may have been just right when it would fly with the orange props.  Anyway, I'm back in the air on my terms with black DJI props!!  
PLEASE DISREGARD ABOVE - IT'S BACK TO JUMPING 6 INCHES AND NOT TAKING OFF.  PROPELLERS WERE APPARENTLY NOT THE PROBLEM.  WILL CONTINUE WORKING ON IT!
2020-8-22
Use props
Vice Phiri
lvl.1

South Africa

Hi There

We also have this similar issue. l tried all the above and its all not working.

Please advise
2020-8-27
Use props
fans809e9115
New

United States

Vice Phiri Posted at 2020-8-27 07:51
Hi There

We also have this similar issue. l tried all the above and its all not working.

I am having same problem. 6 inches and back down. ‘Upward obstacles detected’. Any help grately appreciated.
2021-1-19
Use props
RAJJMD
lvl.1

India

Hello,

I have a same problem like hazem. Dji mavic 2 pro and UPWARD OBSTACLE DETECTED.

I tried to calibrate the sensors, but I couldn't.
3-30 01:26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

RAJJMD Posted at 3-30 01:26
Hello,

I have a same problem like hazem. Dji mavic 2 pro[view_image] and UPWARD OBSTACLE DETECTED.

Hi, RAJJMD. Do you also encounter this in an open environment? Please try the procedures below:
1. Please check if there is a strong light emitting in the direction where a mistaken obstacle detection is reported.
2. Does the aircraft report an obstacle when flying in a fixed direction? If so, please check if there are buildings, trees, and scenes with repeated texture and grid lines in the environment.
3. Make sure the firmware is updated to the latest. If yes, try refreshing it using the DJI Assistant 2.
I hope this helps. Please keep us posted. Have a nice day.
3-30 02:15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules