Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Pretty Disgusted
12Next >
2639 52 2019-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yraegel
Captain
Flight distance : 1411811 ft

I'm tired of having to calibrate the compass of my Mavic Pro every time I want to fly it. DJI should provide a better answer than "We understand your disappointment and we apologize if we didn't meet your expectations. It is still my pleasure to assist you."

I've flown my Mavic for over a year at the same locations and never had to calibrate the compass. I thought the Mavic Pro was supposed to be an improved product. Thinking of selling it and just keepoing the Mavic. I've lost all faith in DJI.

2019-9-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>

I think you mean mavic pro 2, yes it’s a pain to have to calibrate, but no way of avoiding this, calibration is pretty simple and quick but I understand your problem, I own both zoom 2 and pro 2 I can safely say I have to calibrate pro twice as much as I do with zoom go figure.
Not sure if any5hing will be done about this though .
2019-9-21
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>

Yraegel:
Are you getting a prompt on the status screen to calibrate?
I have two M2Ps and never calibrated the compass on either of them.
And I was never prompted to do so.
2019-9-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

Eric13 Posted at 9-21 10:13
Yraegel:
Are you getting a prompt on the status screen to calibrate?
I have two M2Ps and never calibrated the compass on either of them.

You say never calibrated have you traveled with them ?
2019-9-21
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5493514 ft
  • >>>

I have two M2 Pros and never have to calibrate them.  I always get the RED do not take off every time I lauch. But moments after I lift off.  The M2 compass calibrates and I get the green almost immediately after I take off.

Try taking off regardless of your unit compass calibration message.  Hover for a minute and should get it calibrated quickly.
2019-9-21
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 9-21 10:22
You say never calibrated have you traveled with them ?

Yes -  frequently between Germany and US with one of them.
2019-9-21
Use props
Yraegel
Captain

Dthawk Posted at 9-21 10:23
I have two M2 Pros and never have to calibrate them.  I always get the RED do not take off every time I lauch. But moments after I lift off.  The M2 compass calibrates and I get the green almost immediately after I take off.

Try taking off regardless of your unit compass calibration message.  Hover for a minute and should get it calibrated quickly.

That's what I've been doing but disappointed that this happens and DJI just said "oh well".
2019-9-21
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

And you're red-flagged every time at launch regardless where your bird is sitting on? Farmland, concrete pad, steel bridge, mountain top, forest floor, high-rise building roof?
2019-9-21
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

I feel your pain. I've calibrated my zoom more than any DJI drone I have owned.
2019-9-21
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

Annoying when it happens but I guess I've been lucky in only having to calibrate my Mavic 2 Pro after long distance travel.
2019-9-21
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>

i havent had to calibrate my mavic 2 pro more then one time ever.    in fact even that one time i didn't have to, but the green bar was sort of higher than i liked out out of the box and it was being bit sensitive.  

i done a trip worth a few hundred miles the other day and flew no issues at all either.  i try to avoid calibrating more than i absolutely have to i rather not risk calibrating in a bad calibration, besides magnetic north is in same spot no matter where you are.  all calibrating does in new locations after a long drive is setting new baseline.  not that that's in of itself is a bad thing, just you open up the chances of calibrating in a bad calibration.  which is always possible, as i imagine some oddball fly aways and crashes have occured because of a bad calibration.

side note to people: always check your sensors to see if your being lied to.   if your green on compass graph and very small bar and its yelling at you to calibrate then chances are software issue, reboot and try again..  maybe walk the drone a couple feet in a different spot as well.  if yellow or even red and yellow or red isn't dropping back down to tiny sliver of green when picking up and moving it to new spot then i suggest calibrating but do it in another location just in case something is causing it is below your feet or nearby. OR atleast double check the area before calibrating on location
2019-9-21
Use props
kovat53
Captain
Flight distance : 324521 ft

Eric13 Posted at 9-21 10:13
Yraegel:
Are you getting a prompt on the status screen to calibrate?
I have two M2Ps and never calibrated the compass on either of them.

not to me I have never had to calibrate.
2019-9-22
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>

My mavic pro 2 is the same, red message, hover for 10 seconds message goes away, flys normal. The mavic 2 is overly sensitive to metal. The nails in the boards on my deck will trigger compass error.....
2019-9-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>

kovat53 Posted at 9-22 02:53
not to me I have never had to calibrate.

I've had 2 M2Ps and neither of them needed the compass calibrated,  have traveled from UK to Poland, Italy, Singapore and all round the UK and never seen the message.
2019-9-23
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.4
  • >>>

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 9-21 11:41
And you're red-flagged every time at launch regardless where your bird is sitting on? Farmland, concrete pad, steel bridge, mountain top, forest floor, high-rise building roof?

NO.  I usually get the GREEN to launch most of the time.  Once and while I get a RED calibrate error but I launch anyway and it goes green immediately after I lift off.
2019-9-23
Use props
M Stuart K
First Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>

Dthawk Posted at 9-23 13:15
NO.  I usually get the GREEN to launch most of the time.  Once and while I get a RED calibrate error but I launch anyway and it goes green immediately after I lift off.

So, do you get the home point setting notice after you lift off?
2019-9-24
Use props
Neo Supreme
First Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft

I have to calibrate my Mavic Air every single time.  My Mavic 2 Pro, I haven't had to calibrate all the time.  Many times I never had to, which made me suspicious, as my experience with the Air.  It's really weird to see so many different experiences with this.  I would figure that the experience should be similar with many people.  It also depends on when and where you fly too.
2019-9-24
Use props
HyLenz
First Officer
Flight distance : 1848182 ft

Seldom had to calibrate Mavic Pro. M2Pro is much more finicky, seems more sensitive to interference. I have to calibrate it every time i travel about 30-50 miles in the US. I have had problems when the M2P would not calibrate when i tried. Kept getting the dreaded  "MAG INT Check App" notice. Broke out the old Mavic Pro and wallah, in the air in a few minutes without warnings. I always bring the old Mavic Pro on all flights as a spare. It has saved me more than once. I'm not sure how DJI support would feel about disregarding the red warnings and flying regardless, if you had a problem and crashed. I guess i'm not going to take that chance unless i have to...
2019-9-24
Use props
fans48f0c1a5
Captain
Flight distance : 2278898 ft

Never had a problem with my mp2p in six months except when indoors or in a metal enclosure/structure, then it wants to recalibrate so just ignore as only downloading files then switch off go outside boot all fine. As I have never calibrated the compass I don't know whether once you do its never the same again. Disconnecting and  rebooting seems to solve a few problems but ultimately reflash the mp2p software.
2019-9-24
Use props
KerryG
First Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>

How is it a such a big deal to spend 10 seconds to make sure the aircraft is working properly?
2019-9-24
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
First Officer
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

U shouldnt even liftoff without acquiring satellites and home point being stored.....recipe for something bad to happen ....as for the thread only time im asked is if i travel more then 50 miles
2019-9-24
Use props
Neo Supreme
First Officer

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 9-24 09:40
U shouldnt even liftoff without acquiring satellites and home point being stored.....recipe for something bad to happen ....as for the thread only time im asked is if i travel more then 50 miles

I always need that home point saved.
2019-9-24
Use props
Yraegel
Captain

KerryG Posted at 9-24 07:02
How is it a such a big deal to spend 10 seconds to make sure the aircraft is working properly?

Ten seconds? Have you ever calibrated your compass? Thanks for the input.
2019-9-24
Use props
Yraegel
Captain

Everyone, just to clarify. The email I quoted above is from June 2nd of this year. I have been using DJI drones since I bought a Mavic Pro in November of 2016. I have researched this, I have posted about it on the forum before, and I have opened a service request with DJI. Final response quoted above. Some details:

I understand that this problem is not experienced by all Mavic 2 users
I know it is more common than with the Mavic Pro
I do not take off without GPS
I experience the problem where 90%+ of my flights have been performed. I never had to calibrate my Mavic Pro
It takes a lot longer than ten seconds to perform a compass calibration

I truly appreciate everyone's responses but this is not a simple issue or user mistake.
2019-9-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain

HyLenz Posted at 9-24 06:05
Seldom had to calibrate Mavic Pro. M2Pro is much more finicky, seems more sensitive to interference. I have to calibrate it every time i travel about 30-50 miles in the US. I have had problems when the M2P would not calibrate when i tried. Kept getting the dreaded  "MAG INT Check App" notice. Broke out the old Mavic Pro and wallah, in the air in a few minutes without warnings. I always bring the old Mavic Pro on all flights as a spare. It has saved me more than once. I'm not sure how DJI support would feel about disregarding the red warnings and flying regardless, if you had a problem and crashed. I guess i'm not going to take that chance unless i have to...

"Seldom had to calibrate Mavic Pro. M2Pro is much more finicky, seems more sensitive to interference"

Mavic Pro two compasses.  M2 Pro one compass.

I know from testing, that some types (rebar rod, metal pipe) of magnetic intference can effect one of two compasses in Mavic Pro, while not impacting the other compass.

Rotate Mavic Pro and other compass may be effected.  Move Mavic Pro a couple of foot away from magnetic interfrence and neither compass is effected.

2019-9-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain

Yraegel Posted at 9-24 17:04
Everyone, just to clarify. The email I quoted above is from June 2nd of this year. I have been using DJI drones since I bought a Mavic Pro in November of 2016. I have researched this, I have posted about it on the forum before, and I have opened a service request with DJI. Final response quoted above. Some details:

Are you using same SmartDevice for both Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro 2?
2019-9-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain

KerryG Posted at 9-24 07:02

Are you referring to 10-seconds of hovering or saying it only takes 10-seconds to calibrate drone compass(es)?
2019-9-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain

Dthawk Posted at 9-23 13:15
NO.  I usually get the GREEN to launch most of the time.  Once and while I get a RED calibrate error but I launch anyway and it goes green immediately after I lift off.

Your description sounds like your drone is on occasion is lifting out of an area with magnetic interference.

When you get RED calibrate error at take off point - Have you ever checked take off point for sources of magnetic interference?  

2019-9-24
Use props
KerryG
First Officer
  • >>>

Yraegel Posted at 9-24 16:53

Yes, I do it almost every time. You push a button, it takes about 3 seconds in one orientation and about 3 seconds in the other orientation. If it is taking you much longer, than your technique might need some improvement.
2019-9-25
Use props
KerryG
First Officer
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 9-24 17:26
Are you referring to 10-seconds of hovering or saying it only takes 10-seconds to calibrate drone compass(es)?

It should only take 10 seconds to calibrate the compass. I do it all the time, which is why I don't get why people think it is such a major pain in the butt.
2019-9-25
Use props
KerryG
First Officer
  • >>>

Yraegel Posted at 9-24 17:04
Everyone, just to clarify. The email I quoted above is from June 2nd of this year. I have been using DJI drones since I bought a Mavic Pro in November of 2016. I have researched this, I have posted about it on the forum before, and I have opened a service request with DJI. Final response quoted above. Some details:

Hit Calibrate, spin copter around once, change orientation, spin copter around once. It should NOT take more than about 10 seconds. How long is it taking you?
2019-9-25
Use props
Neo Supreme
First Officer

I usually have to calibrate, aka 'the drone ballet' multiple times pre flight.  This is with my Mavic Air as the usual suspect.  I've had to calibrate twice or so, only a couple of times with my Mavic 2 Pro.  Many times, I didn't have to calibrate it though.
2019-9-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain

KerryG Posted at 9-25 07:04
It should only take 10 seconds to calibrate the compass. I do it all the time, which is why I don't get why people think it is such a major pain in the butt.

Takes more than 10-seconds to remove any source of magnetic interference on your person.
Belt buckle, metal rim glasses, cell-phone, knife, etc.  Once forgot my cell-phone, it didn't keep drone compass from being calibrated, but it did cause higher than normal readings (longer than normal green bars).

Then there is time it takes to ensure you & drone are well away (more than 10-meters) from any source of magnetic interference.
Building, fencing, buried electrical or gas lines, rebar in concrete, overhead power, cable, telephone lines, cars, bicycles, etc.
If you calibrate drone compass(es) at same location that caused RED warning about needing compass(es) needing calibration, you are begging for trouble.
2019-9-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

Yraegel Posted at 9-24 16:53

Hi Yraegal, while KerryG May have slightly exaggerated at 10 seconds, to calibrate M2 takes no more than 20 seconds, I’m not counting usual start up wait for green I’m talking only about basically doing 2x 360 and  calibration is done.

As someone who owns both M2’s I have similar problems you have and it’s nothing to do with magnetic interference as is being said by the usual idiot that if you listen to knows absolutely nothing about how M2 works or anything to do with compass.

It’s clear that dji have initiated early warning to calibrate compass in M2’s , particularly if you travel even small distance, so last week I took off from a spot I launch from most of the time I fly, didn’t need to calibrate, a couple of days later I traveled 30 miles was asked to calibrate, couple of days back at usual location I’m asked to calibrate, for no other good reason than I traveled some distance.

I own and still fly mavic1 , I have calibrated once in 3 years I have never been asked to calibrate and my compass values are the same as the day I purchased it and I won’t ever calibrate it unless it prompts me to and even then I will try moving first.

With dji new craft M2 and mavic air which are totally different than mavic1 and have 95% less compass problems that cause crashes, sensors seem to be set very sensitive and call for calibration much more than craft like Mavic1, phantom4, phantom 4pro etc, but equally M2’s are much less likely to crash as a result of compass problems than those other craft I mentioned.

I believe your going to have to get proficient with calibration which is pretty simple, expect it to show at anytime, but always remember once calibrated you can be safe in the knowledge your craft is good to fly .

I think you will find many users experience similar, I do on both my craft, but it’s no problem to calibrate and I’m also happy in the knowledge that my M2 Cannot calibrate compass wrong because until I calibrate it correctly it will continue to warn me this is a good guarantee on this craft that was missing from many other older craft from dji .
2019-9-25
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.4
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 9-24 17:31
Your description sounds like your drone is on occasion is lifting out of an area with magnetic interference.

When you get RED calibrate error at take off point - Have you ever checked take off point for sources of magnetic interference?

No sir. Never done that as this  is not not an issue for me.  I hope it doesn't become an issue.

David
2019-9-26
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.4
  • >>>

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 9-24 09:40
U shouldnt even liftoff without acquiring satellites and home point being stored.....recipe for something bad to happen ....as for the thread only time im asked is if i travel more then 50 miles

I just re read my post. I miss stated myself. I should have said. I get a RED calibration error on rare occasions.

I think I said I get a RED error every time.  I must of been speed typing.  
2019-9-26
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.4
  • >>>

M Stuart K Posted at 9-24 04:20
So, do you get the home point setting notice after you lift off?

YES.  Every time I lift off.  I get the Home Point notice.
2019-9-26
Use props
Yraegel
Captain

KerryG Posted at 9-25 07:04
It should only take 10 seconds to calibrate the compass. I do it all the time, which is why I don't get why people think it is such a major pain in the butt.

Pain? Taking my Mavic Pro out of the case and flying versus taking my Mavic 2 Pro out of the case, calibrating the compass, and then flying is a difference that I notice. I don't think one should operate differently than the other. I fly 90% at the same location. This thread is symbolic of the waste of time involved in getting support anywhere. It's my fault, why am I crying like a baby, it only takes 10 seconds so deal with it so grow up. It's obvious there is no solution to this issue and DJI has already blown me off.
2019-9-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

Yraegel Posted at 9-26 16:03
Pain? Taking my Mavic Pro out of the case and flying versus taking my Mavic 2 Pro out of the case, calibrating the compass, and then flying is a difference that I notice. I don't think one should operate differently than the other. I fly 90% at the same location. This thread is symbolic of the waste of time involved in getting support anywhere. It's my fault, why am I crying like a baby, it only takes 10 seconds so deal with it so grow up. It's obvious there is no solution to this issue and DJI has already blown me off.

people took time out of their day to help you, you now feel it’s ok to insult them, this says a lot more about you than them, it’s says your a whiner who feels much more at home whining who doesn’t need anybody’s help, would rather rant than sort out.
I’ll leave you now to continue to rant good day .
2019-9-27
Use props
S.J
Captain
Flight distance : 322454 ft

Neo Supreme Posted at 9-25 07:26
I usually have to calibrate, aka 'the drone ballet' multiple times pre flight.  This is with my Mavic Air as the usual suspect.  I've had to calibrate twice or so, only a couple of times with my Mavic 2 Pro.  Many times, I didn't have to calibrate it though.

You dont need to calibrate every time the compass for a Mavic 2 pro...it is quite common for the drone to indicate compass error , calibrate etc...
All you do is fly up the sky atleast to 40 meters high and do a home lock position while the remote indicates GPS .it will completely become normal...
2019-9-27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules