External Mic Issue
1896 16 2019-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bimYota
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16919 ft

My current issue is that my powered mic (Vive surround sound) has a lot of feedback when I play the video after recording. When it's plugged in, the Osmo Pocket has a microphone symbol with a slash through it. I've tried the mic on my phone and other devices and it works fine. Additionally, my lav and shotgun mics both work with the OP.

Any ideas?
2019-9-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry for the inconvenience. Would it be possible if you could provide us a sample footage of this problem for further check? In addition, the 3.5mm adapter is only compatible with TRS audio plug. We don't recommend using microphone with TS or TRRS audio plug. Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for your support.
2019-9-22
Use props
bimYota
lvl.1

Here is a video:

https://youtu.be/ceNdCrq7dyw

Testing new microphone but it has some kind of feedback issue. Any ideas are welcome. It's a weird crackle about every second. It's a little faint but it's there.
2019-9-22
Use props
bimYota
lvl.1

DJI Tony Posted at 9-22 13:23
Hi, we're sorry for the inconvenience. Would it be possible if you could provide us a sample footage of this problem for further check? In addition, the 3.5mm adapter is only compatible with TRS audio plug. We don't recommend using microphone with TS or TRRS audio plug. Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for your support.

It's a TRS plug microphone. Here is the microphone: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/500287-REG/Cascade_Audio_VIV100_Vive_Surround_Sound.html
2019-9-22
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>

I don't know whether you will get good results with that connected to the Osmo Pocket audio adapter as there are known issues with the adapter in the area of stereo sound - and the wide stereo sound you probably get from that mic will very likely get garbled by the adapter.  The noise sounds like some kind of digital artifact which presumably arises from the adapter, if the mic normally works well.  (It's not anything to do with feedback, that's a whole other thing).
2019-9-22
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

I agree this is not feedback but some sort of problem between the mic and adapter interface.
It is very interesting as it's the first time I've heard anything other than mono coming out of the Osmo Pocket using an external mic. Not sure if it's a true stereo image but there is definitely separation there.
There is so little information about the mic on the net to find out how they are getting 5.1 sound into a TRS jack. My suspicions lay in that area. Find out how that mic encodes and you may find a half answer.

From another viewpoint it is amazing there is any separation to be heard and confirms DJI's claim it is two independent  audio channels.
Further into the rabbit hole we go.  Thank you so much for posting this. It's worth further investigation.
2019-9-23
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

bimYota Posted at 9-22 16:39
It's a TRS plug microphone. Here is the microphone: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/500287-REG/Cascade_Audio_VIV100_Vive_Surround_Sound.html

Is it possible to put that file into a Dropbox folder for us to look at?
If it has by some miracle encoded a 5.1 surround into the Osmo Pocket's audio stream I would like to play it in my editor and see if it produces a 6 channel audio stream. If it does then that may not produce any crackles and may be able to be mixed down to a standard two channel stereo soundtrack.
2019-9-23
Use props
bimYota
lvl.1

It encodes the audio into Dolby Prologic and will only play surround sound (properly) on systems with Dolby Prologic or Atmos. Here's a Google drive to two files:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1OkH0rN-tGYAyUDsRdxbQDg534uNM1qMq
I JUST uploaded them so it might be a minute before they are playable.
2019-9-23
Use props
bimYota
lvl.1

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-23 04:10
Is it possible to put that file into a Dropbox folder for us to look at?
If it has by some miracle encoded a 5.1 surround into the Osmo Pocket's audio stream I would like to play it in my editor and see if it produces a 6 channel audio stream. If it does then that may not produce any crackles and may be able to be mixed down to a standard two channel stereo soundtrack.

I didn't think to throw it into an editor to see how it's broken down. I had PPro but got rid of it. I now have PowerDirector which works better on my system. I'll try that later and see what it says. Based on what I'm hearing, it sounds like it's coming from the left. Again, I tried the mic on my phone and it works perfectly.
2019-9-23
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

bimYota Posted at 9-23 08:39
I didn't think to throw it into an editor to see how it's broken down. I had PPro but got rid of it. I now have PowerDirector which works better on my system. I'll try that later and see what it says. Based on what I'm hearing, it sounds like it's coming from the left. Again, I tried the mic on my phone and it works perfectly.

I can't find any evidence that it is a 5.1 aac surround channel file. It seems to be two channel. The noise is mainly from the left channel but is echoed across to the right channel some time after. Possibly less than a second. Try recording some music where it would be better to figure out if it is a delay or something else. Last question. Does the mic contain batteries or powered by what you plug it into? is it possible if powered by the Osmo Pocket that it delivers enough voltage to power four microphone capsules?
2019-9-23
Use props
bimYota
lvl.1

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-23 11:56
I can't find any evidence that it is a 5.1 aac surround channel file. It seems to be two channel. The noise is mainly from the left channel but is echoed across to the right channel some time after. Possibly less than a second. Try recording some music where it would be better to figure out if it is a delay or something else. Last question. Does the mic contain batteries or powered by what you plug it into? is it possible if powered by the Osmo Pocket that it delivers enough voltage to power four microphone capsules?

It's powered by a CR2032 battery (watch battery). I'll try to record some other stuff and see what it does. I'll also record something with my phone as well and put it on an editor.
2019-9-23
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

bimYota Posted at 9-23 12:22
It's powered by a CR2032 battery (watch battery). I'll try to record some other stuff and see what it does. I'll also record something with my phone as well and put it on an editor.

So far, most people using powered mics have not had much success using them with the Osmo Pocket.
Most don't for whatever reason really give a loud enough output to the Osmo Pocket's audio adapter. That may be one cause but not necessarily the cause. I did notice that for a mic using so many capsules the output was not that high.
Even my Rode Video mic Pro with a 20db boost doesn't come close to giving a decent audio output. Some mics that are also not well shielded get Rf interference but it doesn't sound like that on your recording.
Also bare in mind that the while the Osmo Pocket does seem to use two separate audio channels, a lot of people here including myself do not believe it gives a true stereo output. At least not using the audio adapter. That is why I was so surprised at the sound coming from your recording, it sounded spacial but still not quite stereo. More like a delayed output from the right channel. Still, I have to wonder what caused it as it may give a clue as to what is causing other audio related problems. DJI have been less than forthcoming with any details at all on the audio side of things and in the main we are left to guess. It would be nice to hear from technical staff once in a while.
2019-9-23
Use props
bimYota
lvl.1

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-23 13:36
So far, most people using powered mics have not had much success using them with the Osmo Pocket.
Most don't for whatever reason really give a loud enough output to the Osmo Pocket's audio adapter. That may be one cause but not necessarily the cause. I did notice that for a mic using so many capsules the output was not that high.
Even my Rode Video mic Pro with a 20db boost doesn't come close to giving a decent audio output. Some mics that are also not well shielded get Rf interference but it doesn't sound like that on your recording.

I've noticed that powered microphones come in more quiet than non-powered ones as well.

As far as my issue with the static sound, it miraculously went away when testing again today. All I did was wait a little while to start recording. I noticed that the microphone symbol at the top left of the screen, out of nowhere, suddenly went from greyed out to illuminated (white). I then tried it while connected to my phone and it worked there as well. So..... that's a new development lol.

I have uploaded a couple more clips to that google drive I shared. One is recorded with my phone and the rest are with the OP. What I have noticed, aside from the audio volume being much lower, is that the OP seems to record primarily using the right side microphone from the Vive. This isn't the case with the phone recording. While audio does come in through the left speaker upon playback, it is even quieter than the already low volume right.
2019-9-23
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

bimYota Posted at 9-23 14:04
I've noticed that powered microphones come in more quiet than non-powered ones as well.

As far as my issue with the static sound, it miraculously went away when testing again today. All I did was wait a little while to start recording. I noticed that the microphone symbol at the top left of the screen, out of nowhere, suddenly went from greyed out to illuminated (white). I then tried it while connected to my phone and it worked there as well. So..... that's a new development lol.

It's getting late at this end. I will look at the videos tomorrow. Yes odd. Even stranger that it's a wide audio image. Would love to find out why.
2019-9-23
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

bimYota Posted at 9-23 14:04
I've noticed that powered microphones come in more quiet than non-powered ones as well.

Well you can tell the last video is the one taken with the phone. The audio is louder and sounds correct whereas the Osmo Pocket files are giving a much lower audio level output and no definable direction of sound. While definitely not mono, it's not stereo either. My main concerns are the lack of level and lack of top end frequencies in the recording. However, your noise problem seems to have gone.  
2019-9-26
Use props
bimYota
lvl.1

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-26 03:52
Well you can tell the last video is the one taken with the phone. The audio is louder and sounds correct whereas the Osmo Pocket files are giving a much lower audio level output and no definable direction of sound. While definitely not mono, it's not stereo either. My main concerns are the lack of level and lack of top end frequencies in the recording. However, your noise problem seems to have gone.

Agreed. I was able to spend some time on it during the week. I put it into an audio editor in both forms (Osmo Pocket and Cell Phone). To level out the audio, I had to raise the OP as much as 20 db to get it even with the phone. Additionally, I applied a 5.1 effect to the OP to try and get the surround sound to manifest properly. That didn't work, unfortunately. However, when I did apply the effect, it made it more clear that the audio was being recorded in stereo on the OP but for whatever reason was recording weaker on the left side. I'll keep messing with it and see what I can find. This weekend I should have a good opportunity to get some videos done.
2019-9-26
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

bimYota Posted at 9-26 13:20
Agreed. I was able to spend some time on it during the week. I put it into an audio editor in both forms (Osmo Pocket and Cell Phone). To level out the audio, I had to raise the OP as much as 20 db to get it even with the phone. Additionally, I applied a 5.1 effect to the OP to try and get the surround sound to manifest properly. That didn't work, unfortunately. However, when I did apply the effect, it made it more clear that the audio was being recorded in stereo on the OP but for whatever reason was recording weaker on the left side. I'll keep messing with it and see what I can find. This weekend I should have a good opportunity to get some videos done.

I'm not seeing or hearing true stereo but a short delay between left and right channels with the right channel slightly louder as you observed. I don't have an audio editor currently loaded on my PC that can split the audio into separate left and right channels at present that I can move around to see if they align to produce a mono recording or not. That may take a while longer as I'm currently in the process of transferring all my programs and materials onto a new PC.
-20dbm sounds about right but I'm currently using an electret mic getting its power from the Pocket that gives me full volume at reasonable sound pressure levels in auto.  My Rhode Pro mic is next to useless on my Osmo Pocket and I have to check whether I've powered it on or not and then worry about battery life.
My initial reaction is that you will never be able to get a 5.1 recording out of the Osmo Pocket as it stands at present. Even if you record in slow-mo, the resulting separate audio aac. file it produces is odd not being able to be played or imported it into some video editing packages.
2019-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules