Disappointed with Active Track
887 6 2019-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft

One reason I upgraded from my old Mavic Pro, to the Mavic 2 Pro, was to take advantage of a new Active Track thats supposed to do a better job of tracking faster moving subjects. I’m always chasing the boat around, trying to get good footage of family and friends waterskiing. I find the Mavic 2’s Active Track has more trouble staying locked onto a skier than my old Mavic Pro did? Am I doing something wrong?
2019-9-25
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft

From my experience, I know you would need as much as open space as possible.  If you're on a boat or out on the water, I would figure it should stay locked on a subject pretty easy.  I tried the active track with my friend on his electric skateboard.  It was great, again, in open space.  I had to manually override the controls, once any obstacles were near by, like a light pole, tree or sign.  I noticed it attempted to keep up, as it stayed locked onto him, but it stopped moving.  I'm thinking certain obstacles shouldn't have given it as much trouble as they did.  I've looked around online and haven't really come across any guidance or tips to improve this.
For your issue, I'm not too sure.  Maybe the reflection of the water is giving the camera problems to stay focused on your subject?
2019-9-25
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 644669 ft

Do you use ND filters out on the water?

That could be a factor,
2019-9-25
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4

Matman Posted at 9-25 16:24
Do you use ND filters out on the water?

That could be a factor,

Yes on the M2P I usually use an ND8. Never used one at all on the the old MP. Explain please.
2019-9-27
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4

Matman Posted at 9-25 16:24
Do you use ND filters out on the water?

That could be a factor,

Still wondering what you meant. Do you think an ND filter helps Active Track to work better, or makes it preform worse?
2019-10-8
Use props
izotop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388763 ft

rtfm for start.
2019-10-8
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>

my experience is opposite of yours, my mavic 2 is hugely improved on activetrack front from my prior drones.  its able to lock on much better, follow much faster and go around and under stuff more often and doesn't do oddball things that end up in a crash.. like my mavic pro.   the couple of crashes i have had while in active track on mavic 2 pro where minor enough that it got back up and continued to follow me without hesitating for most part.

maybe you need to calibrate your vision sensors ?  i dont know something seems off about it being worse.  
2019-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules