Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to NOT Crash Your Drone in 15 Easy Steps
4635 16 2019-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>

By Calin Stan

Flying safely, knowing your limits, and understanding how your drone works are essential when taking aerial photos or videos. As a drone enthusiast, I’ve seen my fair share of “drone fail” videos on YouTube, many of which result in awful, not to mention expensive, crashes. Most of these crashes could have been avoided by taking some simple safety precautions.

I’ve been flying drones professionally for some time now, and I’d like to share 15 easy steps (among others) you can take to prevent crashing. I mostly fly the Phantom 4 (Related: Phantom 4 VS Phantom 4 Advanced—the Newest Phantom), but all these tips can be applied to the Mavic Pro, Spark, or any other drone. It’s better to be safe than sorry! You don’t want to learn some of these the hard way like I did.

1. Before you fly, practice in the DJI GO simulator! I recommend doing so for at least two hours. Get used to the controls, and pay close attention to which way the aircraft is facing. If the nose is facing towards you, it will move right when you expect it to move left. As such, it’s a good idea to fly with the nose facing away from you.

2. Read the user manual twice! I‘ve downloaded it from the official DJI website and printed it out.

3. At first, don’t fly over 30-40 m and get used to the controls. Don’t mess with the camera and don’t think about pictures. As an avid photographer, ignoring the camera was difficult, but the most important thing when you start out is learning to control your drone.

4. Practice using the Return to Home function. Reread the section in the manual on how it works, long press the “H” button, and see how it works first-hand. Understand that you’ll need GPS signal before you take off for the function to work, and check for a green H on your map.

5. Set the Return to Home Altitude to over 100 m (I have it at 150m) in DJI GO to ensure your drone doesn’t hit any trees or buildings on its way home. I also recommend setting a max distance and altitude that’s less than the maximum allowed value for both. You may be tempted to push your drone to its range limit, but this can be unnecessarily risky. Keep your drone within line of sight to avoid potential collisions.

6. Watch out for power lines, wires, and tree branches during flight. The obstacle avoidance sensors can’t detect thin objects, so you’ll need to avoid them yourself. Especially during your first flights, it’s a good idea to be accompanied by a friend who can keep an eye on the drone so you can focus on your smartphone screen. Two pairs of eyes are always better than one!

7. When you take off, use the automatic take off function and then let the drone hover at 1m at for about 30 seconds. This helps the battery warm up, and if the battery has issues, you’ll notice them while you’re hovering. Plus it’s better to crash 1 m above the ground than from 100 m.

8. In winter when outside temperatures fall below 10° Celsius, turn the rotors on and let the battery warm up until its temperature reaches over 25° C. You can check the battery’s temperature in DJI GO.

9. Don’t fly backwards or avoid it as much as possible. Even with the P4P’s backward-facing obstacle sensors, as I mentioned before, they won’t avoid thing objects like tree branches and wires.

10. In case you didn’t get this already, don’t rely on the obstacle sensors. Although they can be a life-saver in some situations, they don’t detect everything and they won’t work in low light.

11. Don’t fly in areas with strong interference (like near large metal objects) and do not take off under high-voltage power lines.

12. Whatever you do, don’t pull both control sticks to the bottom inner or outer corners. This stops the engines mid-air if held for more than a few seconds! It is a failsafe function and only should be used if you’re about to crash. This stick combination, known as the Combination Stick Command or CSC, works with the Phantom 3 and Phantom 4 running older firmware versions. Recent firmware versions and products have changed the emergency stop commands. But nonetheless, read about emergency motor stopping in your drone’s user manual.

13. Avoid flying when it’s windy. Any small drone is unstable in the wind, and DJI drones don’t take wind speed into account when calculating the time it takes to return home. So if you’re far away, you may not be able to make it back to the home point in time if winds are strong. To measure the wind speed, you can buy an anemometer for as low as $30-40.

14. Certain bird species are disturbed by drones. Some even try to defend their territory by attacking drones. YouTube is full of videos where pilots have hostile encounters with seagulls or raptors that result in bad endings for the drones. So, don’t fly near large groups of birds and do your best to avoid disturbing them.

15. Just like in commercial aviation, takeoffs and landings are the most risk-prone stages of flight. Especially when landing, make sure your landing spot is free of obstructions and is relatively level. Keep in mind where the wind is blowing and be aware your drone may drift a bit in that direction. And if think you need to land on sand or a puddle of water, don’t! Hand catching is possible, though it is a bit risky for new pilots. Look up some tutorials on YouTube before you try it yourself.

So, those are the basic tips I’ve learned from my experience flying. This is by no means everything you need to know to become a master drone pilot, but it’s a pretty good start.

Now, get out there and start flying safely!

The content origins from DJI BUYINGGUIDES
2019-9-26
Use props
maddox
Captain

Thanks for the tips!
2019-9-26
Use props
masshuu
lvl.1

cheers for those
2019-9-28
Use props
djiuser_ZBd1WHOoU2nH
New

Thanks a lot this is indeed helpful
2019-9-28
Use props
akozc
Captain
Flight distance : 2019951 ft

dont know why ,reading these points again again never bores me but  always increase my confidence, many thanks  
2019-10-6
Use props
BA Drone Dude
lvl.3

Very useful tips!
2019-10-7
Use props
fanse771e453
New

I have a used p3advance. I use a Mac and my iPhone 8 plus. I would love to use some sort of flight simulation, to practice. I just don't get the directional controls and am terrified above six feet off the ground.. It is shelved until I can practice any suggestions. Thank you in advance.
2019-10-8
Use props
djiuser_Shc9WN7A6zkO
New

United States

Get $90,000 for your family,Just need $900 deposited
We provide the fastest bitcoin multiply. We need just 10 minutes to multiply 10x your bitcoins. All you need is just to send us your bitcoins, and wait up to 10 minutes to receive the multiply bitcoins back to your address! GUARANTEED!
Invest 0.1 btc and Got 10 btc in 10 minutes!
Invest Now
10xbtc.net
Investment Insurance
payinghyiponline.com/10xbtc.html
2019-11-4
Use props
ernie_e
First Officer
Flight distance : 299380 ft
United States

Good Info.
2019-12-12
Use props
Dorset_Horn
First Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

I like the "practice on the simulator" tip.
Especially for newbies or when you haven't flown in a while.
2019-12-13
Use props
djiuser_1MzMuveFbOGO
lvl.1

Brazil

I Wish I saw it earlier today before flying backwards with my mini..
2020-2-7
Use props
p1hill
lvl.1
Flight distance : 349846 ft
United States

Coming from a newbie, this is all valuable advice. Thanks a ton!
2020-2-7
Use props
MetC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 411814 ft
Turkey

thanks for all these infos and tips again. whenever I check them they are useful again and again.
2020-2-16
Use props
Skeeterhead
lvl.1
United States

Great tips. Thanks so much.
2020-2-20
Use props
emailhelp
New

India

my aol mail login || aol email sign in For Aol Email sign in you need to enter the email address and password after visiting aol.com link. Aol is best among all other email services but this is possible that you may face some errors while doing my Aol Mail login procedure. In that case you just need to make a call to our customer service number i.e +1-855-599-8359. A team of experts is 24*7 available there to help you and to resolve your issues related to Aol mail.
2020-2-20
Use props
Woffski
lvl.3
United States

Good tips here!  No matter how long, its go to here these every once in a while.
2020-2-24
Use props
DrewAdkins18
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1216867 ft
United States

Thanks for the tutorial, I'll try not to be a tree eater
2020-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules