Consistency in Shooting Gel Beads
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>

I'm wondering if anyone has run a study (test based) to check how precise/consistent the gun shooting gel beads is.
Main Idea/Experiment is: I would run such study for multiple turret angles and distances between gun and target, then shoot multiple times, and record how far the gel beads hit from a target.
The difficulty is: How would one record the 'Hit' locations? ... maybe some sort of pressure sensitive grid/target or even 2 gopros (at 90 degrees) set at highest frame rate and then post-processing the 3D data with Analyst, to try and reconstruct the balls' trajectories and hit coordinates.

While running the test, one should lock both the wheels and the turret/gimbal angles ... and I'm sure this can be done via software/programming.

Any hints/thoughts as to how one can setup such an experiment?  
2019-9-26
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4

It's on my todo list.  Target up some paper towels or tissue paper at 1m, 2m, etc ranges and check the spread patterns, as the gel beads should penetrate.   Compare sniping vs. full auto burst.

With the laser I can also measure the ballistic drop and make table...
2019-9-26
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4

MarkusXL Posted at 9-26 21:18
It's on my todo list.  Target up some paper towels or tissue paper at 1m, 2m, etc ranges and check the spread patterns, as the gel beads should penetrate.   Compare sniping vs. full auto burst.

With the laser I can also measure the ballistic drop and make table...

Old school Carbon paper might be a good way to mark gel bead hits.

The standard accuracy test used for shooters is a 5- or 10-round volley from which are computed: 1) the accuracy of the shooter, i.e. the deviation from target center of the average center of the shots fired; and 2) how tight a grouping it produces, i.e. the smallest circle from the average center of hits that is needed to contain all the shots.

The RoboMaster league uses 10 shots.
2019-9-27
Use props
BGA
lvl.4

BTW, I have been playing more with the robot and it is pretty clear that sometimes it tries to shoot a gel bead and fails. I guess it would be a good thing if the next S1 (S2?) also have a sensor to report if beads are actually being fired (this would also allow estimation of how much ammo one still have).
2019-9-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day JB63. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared with us. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI members who owns the DJI Robomaster S1 with regards to this experiment that you want to undertake. Please keep us posted on the said conclusion and thank you for your support.
2019-9-27
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4

Interesting - and I think misfires can reduced to bare minimums.  

For one thing, maximum wetness - if the robot hangs around in warm, dry air for some time, the beads will slightly shrink and increase surface friction slightly.

I have not seen any misfires yet - but I put a few drops of bleach in with the water to prevent bacteria buildup AND make them a tad more slippery.  

And I only load quarter loads and blaze away because around here it is always hot and dry.

And yeah an ammo sensor would be "neat-o" but that is extra cost, probably best used elsewhere.  

We gotta maintain focus on critical feature adds.

2019-9-27
Use props
Duane Degn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622234 ft

MarkusXL Posted at 9-27 13:05
Interesting - and I think misfires can reduced to bare minimums.  

For one thing, maximum wetness - if the robot hangs around in warm, dry air for some time, the beads will slightly shrink and increase surface friction slightly.

"to prevent bacteria buildup"
I had some hydrated beads sitting in a sealed container for a few weeks and mold start to grow on some of the beads.
I suppose your bleach idea would likely prevent mold but I wonder how bleach would effect the beads after extended periods.
I now throw away hydrated beads if they haven't been used after a week or so.
2019-9-27
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4

Today a buddy and I fired off two full magazines all over the local car wash area - I was looking very closely for misfires and I did only notice at the very end - just at the last few rounds at the end of the magazine.

Otherwise perfect firing from two S1 cannons!

We were tagging the garbage cans across the street easily.  Gotta aim way high

We could knock over a near-empty cup from 4 meters!  

And my beads have been fully immersed in water with a little bleach for over 2 months now...

I examined them -  they smell nice (well, slightly bleachy), are very slippery and still very firm and extremely bouncy.

I am very pleased with the shelf life!  I keep them in a dark, cool place too.
2019-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules