Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Correct roll motor sensor shaft direction
2724 11 2019-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johnny_fever
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1134961 ft

The other day while walking my drone to a launch area my gimble fell apart. I pushed the shaft back in the hole. I thought it would possibly auto adjust or level. When I turned it on the gimbal started shaking back and forth like crazy. So I turned it off. Later I wound up accidentally breaking the ribbon cable when I pulled it apart for inspection. Can anyone tell me the correct shaft flat direction? One video on YT mentioned the flat side of the shaft should face the drone but the guy had a different model dji drone. I tried it and its still shaking with the new cable with the shaft flat facing drone. Is this the correct direction? This drone suffered a crash over the summer but was fine till the gimbal fell apart.

20190919_114555.jpg
Roll sen.jpg
2019-9-27
Use props
Peterx
Captain
Flight distance : 1499708 ft

could you rotate the roll axis freely after reassembly of the gimbal ? ...or was it blocked in one direction ? And what happened to the roll axis when you fired on the AC?
2019-9-28
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for sharing
2019-9-28
Use props
johnny_fever
lvl.1

Peterx Posted at 9-28 00:33
could you rotate the roll axis freely after reassembly of the gimbal ? ...or was it blocked in one direction ? And what happened to the roll axis when you fired on the AC?

Yes. Everything moves freely.
I guess I was first trying to make sure the switch orientation was correct. Yesterday I got a compass and gimbal warning. What kept me from trying any further AC attempts is the motors heat up pretty quick. And thanks for any help guys.
2019-9-28
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft

There are several online  video instructions to help you replace the flat ribbon cable and reassemble.
2019-9-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day johnny_fever. I am sorry for the trouble and to know what happened to your DJI Phantom 3 Standard. I would recommend you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance for the said drone. In addition DJI we do not recommend doing a DIY in fixing the said drone. To avoid further damaging the said unit. Thank for your understanding and for your support.
2019-9-28
Use props
johnny_fever
lvl.1

ALABAMA Posted at 9-28 07:01
There are several online  video instructions to help you replace the flat ribbon cable and reassemble.

I watched many movie clips but only one guy mentioned shaft flat direction and he had a diff model dji phantom. On the movie clips no one mentions this info and the moves are not clear enough to tell.
2019-9-28
Use props
Sean-newbie
Captain
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>

I have just had a look at the one on a P3Adv, yes I know you have a P3Std, but it might be of some use to you.
With zero roll on the camera the flat is parallel to the top edge of the pivot housing,  as in your photo.
If you are going to try to glue the rotor (the arm) back on to the shaft you could always trial the position with a tiny drop of a weak glue gluing the shaft and rotor together, then, when the glue has set, see how the camera behaves. It would at least give you some idea as to the required positions and it should be easy enough to break a weak joint and then use a stronger glue etc. for a 'permanent' repair, though it will be interesting to see if others think a glued joint will be sufficient.
With the P3Adv there is provision, via the Go App, to adjust the roll of the camera, if you have the same option it might give you some lee way for gluing inaccuracies

That said I have a gimbal assembly here that was in a bag of bits and whilst looking at it for this thread I found out it has the same problem as yours, PLUS the rotor WOBBLES on the shaft. I would be surprised if that is as intended. It might be wise to check for wobble on yours. My bag of bits gimbal may have been exposed to some considerable force as it looks like the pitch arm is bowed!!!
2019-9-28
Use props
Peterx
Captain
Flight distance : 1499708 ft

Did you let the gimbal justated by it´s own with power on before you fatened the grub screw yet?
2019-9-29
Use props
johnny_fever
lvl.1

Sean-newbie Posted at 9-28 18:40
I have just had a look at the one on a P3Adv, yes I know you have a P3Std, but it might be of some use to you.
With zero roll on the camera the flat is parallel to the top edge of the pivot housing,  as in your photo.
If you are going to try to glue the rotor (the arm) back on to the shaft you could always trial the position with a tiny drop of a weak glue gluing the shaft and rotor together, then, when the glue has set, see how the camera behaves. It would at least give you some idea as to the required positions and it should be easy enough to break a weak joint and then use a stronger glue etc. for a 'permanent' repair, though it will be interesting to see if others think a glued joint will be sufficient.

Thanks for your time and efforts on helping me. I was thinking If I could confirm the correct shaft orientation I would use a slight amount of mild Lock Tight. Were on the same page. Thanks
2019-9-29
Use props
johnny_fever
lvl.1

Peterx Posted at 9-29 01:45
Did you let the gimbal justated by it´s own with power on before you fatened the grub screw yet?

Im not sure what your asking here. The drone was perfect before the arm fell apart. I was simply walking to launch area and it came apart. While installing the new ribbon cable nothing was found to be loose or irregular.  
2019-9-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

Not my daily routine
Nice to see
2019-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now