Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Action Release Notes (09/29/2019)
123Next >
16533 86 2019-9-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Support
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Overview
  • Date: 2019.09.29
  • Firmware: v01.06.00.20
  • DJI Mimo App iOS: v1.2.4
  • DJI Mimo App Android: v1.2.4

What’s New?
  • Added Hyperlapse.
  • Added time settings for turning the touchscreen off automatically while recording.
  • Added Thai and Arabic languages for Osmo Action.
  • Fixed issue: there was live view latency when video resolution was set to 2.7K and 1080 p with 24/25/30 fps.

Notes:
  • If the update fails, restart Osmo Action and DJI Mimo, and retry. Alternatively, download the latest firmware from the official DJI website to a microSD card to update.

2019-9-29
Use props
ff22
Captain

The download page still has the older firmware at this time.  

Maybe it will catch up after the weekend.

https://www.dji.com/osmo-action/info#downloads

2019-9-29
Use props
CemAygun
Captain
Flight distance : 810 ft

Strangely nothing about the new audio adapter is mentioned in the update. Maybe it was embedded in the firmware all along...
2019-9-29
Use props
anthonyb
First Officer
Flight distance : 486381 ft

Hyperlapse is very cool.  
Still lag on front screen on 4K 60fps though.  
Also the face monitoring is now greyed out for some reason.
Still cannot switch screen during recording, by voice or by double tapping.
Immediately after update it reported battery was flat and shutdown.  It was still at 100% though.
I did a factory reset after the update as usual.
2019-9-29
Use props
greekGod
lvl.4

I think rocksteady was compromised.its not as smooth as it was before the latency was fixed at 2.7 and 1080p 24/25/30 frames.too bad we cant have both
2019-9-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for the info
2019-9-30
Use props
grigri
First Officer
Flight distance : 2480322 ft
  • >>>

last thing H265
2019-9-30
Use props
djiuser_omONsepQ5DoX

grigri Posted at 9-30 05:47
last thing H265

We really hope this will happened, it’s really painful to reencode all videos
2019-9-30
Use props
MKosmo
First Officer

Nice update, hyperlapse Does have image stabilisation.
2019-9-30
Use props
Daymon W.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3126171 ft
  • >>>

thanks what is hyperlapse?
2019-9-30
Use props
KlooGee
Captain
Flight distance : 16641309 ft
  • >>>

djiuser_omONsepQ5DoX Posted at 9-30 07:46
We really hope this will happened, it’s really painful to reencode all videos

Just curious, but why do you re-encode your videos to h265?
2019-9-30
Use props
KlooGee
Captain
Flight distance : 16641309 ft
  • >>>

CemAygun Posted at 9-29 21:40
Strangely nothing about the new audio adapter is mentioned in the update. Maybe it was embedded in the firmware all along...

Yeah, I would assume the audio adapter will work even with older firmware updates.  Its just frustrating that they've decided to build a proprietary adapter.  There is no reason one of the million other USB-C to 3/8" adapters on the market shouldn't work.  And absolutely no excuse why the Osmo Pocket's adapter shouldn't work!
2019-9-30
Use props
anthonyb
First Officer

KlooGee Posted at 9-30 12:43
Yeah, I would assume the audio adapter will work even with older firmware updates.  Its just frustrating that they've decided to build a proprietary adapter.  There is no reason one of the million other USB-C to 3/8" adapters on the market shouldn't work.  And absolutely no excuse why the Osmo Pocket's adapter shouldn't work!

For the same reason GoPro had to build their own.  There were none out there that handled both power, data transfer and 3.5mm audio all at the same time.  GoPro's is even worse believe it or not.
2019-9-30
Use props
djiuser_omONsepQ5DoX

KlooGee Posted at 9-30 12:35
Just curious, but why do you re-encode your videos to h265?

Because I want to make 4k60 possible to save to iphone in many cases, and Iphone’s photo library accepts only h265 encoded 4k60 videos. Also, in case if they make h265 possible it will remove unnecessary transcoding with quality drop when I save to device, just like in gopro hero 7 black.
2019-9-30
Use props
David_Harry
Captain

anthonyb Posted at 9-30 12:53
For the same reason GoPro had to build their own.  There were none out there that handled both power, data transfer and 3.5mm audio all at the same time.  GoPro's is even worse believe it or not.

You say GoPro’s is even worse, but don’t say why.

GoPro’s interface is technically a very good audio interface. It has a very wide dynamic range, very low inherent noise floor, is capable of two channel recording and therefore stereo, can record uncompressed and has a very transparent dynamics processor.
2019-9-30
Use props
anthonyb
First Officer

David_Harry Posted at 9-30 14:16
You say GoPro’s is even worse, but don’t say why.

GoPro’s interface is technically a very good audio interface. It has a very wide dynamic range, very low inherent noise floor, is capable of two channel recording and therefore stereo, can record uncompressed and has a very transparent dynamics processor.

Oh, cos it's twice the price and massive.  You have to have a special mount for it because it's on a cable.
2019-9-30
Use props
Matman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 644669 ft

He’s saying the GP audio adapter is worse, referring to it’s odd shape/design, and size.
2019-9-30
Use props
David_Harry
Captain

anthonyb Posted at 9-30 14:37
Oh, cos it's twice the price and massive.  You have to have a special mount for it because it's on a cable.

You are completely wrong.

The GoPro adaptor is just under £50 inc free postage form their site, the Action adaptor is over £50 after postage has been added. I’m fairly sure this scales with any currency.

As for its size of the GP adaptor. Let’s see how everyone gets on with the Action adaptor when it won’t even connect to an Action with most cases, and therefore no audio.

There are a number of cheap vlogging cases for the GP adaptor and even without a dedicated case you can use it with any setup as it’s USB socket can reach inside of any case and allow you to locate the the box elsewhere, again, something you can’t do with the Action adaptor.

From what I’ve heard so far, there’s no competition. The GP audio system including the adaptor, absolutely wipes the floor with anything by DJI.
2019-9-30
Use props
anthonyb
First Officer

David_Harry Posted at 9-30 15:01
You are completely wrong.

The GoPro adaptor is just under £50 inc free postage form their site, the Action adaptor is over £50 after postage has been added. I’m fairly sure this scales with any currency.

Maybe it's just the pricing set in NZ then.  It was very very expensive here.  To be honest the sound quality is not the main requirement for me.  I need a reliable video capture that can handle very wild elements and perform without fault.  The GP Hero 7 black failed time and again with multiple issues for me.  Again, horses for courses.  Some will prefer one over the other.

End of the day they're just cameras.  My new iPhone 11 Pro Max blows them both away in terms of video quality.  Of course that was almost 4 times the price!!
2019-9-30
Use props
peiter
First Officer

Updated with phone, and this time a huge success

Looking forward to give my updated and coincidentally freshly charged camera a spin tomorrow, a little hyperlapse recording from my windscreen will be fine i think.
But i will have a play around and give the other improvements a closer look too.

Lets hope dji will be brave enough to release the Action 2 with a more exoctic sensor in it, and then blow phone cameras in the water where phones belong.
Also wondering what they will use for SOC in it, i dont see any reason to stay with Ambaraella

2019-9-30
Use props
anthonyb
First Officer

peiter Posted at 9-30 15:56
Updated with phone, and this time a huge success

Looking forward to give my updated and coincidentally freshly charged camera a spin tomorrow, a little hyperlapse recording from my windscreen will be fine i think.

Hyperlapse:  
2019-9-30
Use props
peiter
First Officer

That look like "kiwi" land, Tuesday are just a few hours old here, and very dark as kiwi land and koala land steal our sun this time of the year.
2019-9-30
Use props
anthonyb
First Officer

peiter Posted at 9-30 16:07
That look like "kiwi" land, Tuesday are just a few hours old here, and very dark as kiwi land and koala land steal our sun this time of the year.

It is indeed Kiwi Land.  Marlborough Sounds.
2019-9-30
Use props
CemAygun
Captain
Flight distance : 810 ft

KlooGee Posted at 9-30 12:43
Yeah, I would assume the audio adapter will work even with older firmware updates.  Its just frustrating that they've decided to build a proprietary adapter.  There is no reason one of the million other USB-C to 3/8" adapters on the market shouldn't work.  And absolutely no excuse why the Osmo Pocket's adapter shouldn't work!

A unified adapter (for Action and Pocket) would have been great, but I guess the radically different form factors prohibit that, if nothing else does...
2019-9-30
Use props
peiter
First Officer

I have a keen eye for the good places   NZ are  on a very short list of places i would move to if i got a lotto win to fiance it all.
And it will not have to be a large win, i don't hope to live all too many years more, would just like to die free which is a feeling i don't have in Denmark, so im always better when work have taken me far from here.
Sadly NZ i have not visited, along with Africa and Antarctica, but other parts of the world i have been to.
2019-9-30
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Daymon W. Posted at 9-30 11:11
thanks what is hyperlapse?

It's an enhanced form of time lapse. With time lapse the camera is normally stationary, taking images at intervals and using these to create a video file for playback.
Hyperlapse is similar but the camera is allowed to move during recording, when the camera assembles these images to create the video file it incorporates electronic image stabilisation to smooth out the movement of the cameras motion.
2019-9-30
Use props
BrianSC
First Officer

anthonyb Posted at 9-30 16:01
Hyperlapse:  https://youtu.be/NiZPUPCBwhQ

Were you walking or on a bike here? What speed was the hyperlapse set to?
2019-10-1
Use props
Charvel
Second Officer

DJI: can you publish the new firmware version every time you announce it on your website?
I tried to update OA on two different phones - without success. This will save time for many people who have the same problem and come to the site from time to time to check if there is a new version.
2019-10-1
Use props
fansa90cfc2e
lvl.1

Where's the firmware update?
2019-10-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>

fansa90cfc2e Posted at 10-1 06:31

Just connect OA to Mimo app and FW will download
2019-10-1
Use props
peiter
First Officer

Indeed the camera move around, TBH i have never noticed this with GP hyper lapses, then again i have not watched many of those.
But looking over the recording i just made today it is clear that the little part of my dashboard in sight in the lower part of the frame "dance" around with the movement of the car, it is not cuz i had the camera dangling from a flimsy mount.

Recorded with 4K / 30 X + freewell CPL filter - remastered in powerdirector 17 ( cut off a snippet at the start and then output as H.265 - 4K / 25fps )
Too bad i don't have a ND16 + CPL, i think i will have to upgrade my filter collection a little + get a few ALU parts for mounting.

Sadly youtube are not too kind to hyperlapse recordings, judging by my own recording + that of other users. on my computer it do of course look good.

2019-10-1
Use props
MKosmo
First Officer

peiter Posted at 10-1 07:31
Indeed the camera move around, TBH i have never noticed this with GP hyper lapses, then again i have not watched many of those.
But looking over the recording i just made today it is clear that the little part of my dashboard in sight in the lower part of the frame "dance" around with the movement of the car, it is not cuz i had the camera dangling from a flimsy mount.

With any image stabilisation if you have something fixed in view ( like the dashboard in your example)  in relation to the camera, this will show up as ‘moving’ on the image since the stabilisation has shifted the whole image to counter movement and hence the dash now moves within the image.

2019-10-1
Use props
peiter
First Officer

Yeah.

This hyperlapse stuff are not really something i am going to use much, so already looking forward to seeing what the next update will bring, hyperlapse was not something i was hoping for.
But we will see my OA are good to me, but as with anything i hope it can be even better to me.
2019-10-1
Use props
fansa90cfc2e
lvl.1

fansa90cfc2e Posted at 10-1 06:31

never mind. got it.
2019-10-1
Use props
ebswift
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10299 ft

Okay, I had a lot of trouble with this one and my Google Pixel XL v1.  Mine wouldn't update from the Mimo app, it would download the firmware but would always come up with error 10006 with no progress updating the device, it was connected and battery level way above 50%.  Then, I couldn't find the update on the DJI site, so I copied it from the firmware inside the DJI folder on my phone and tried this on four different SD cards, the OA would turn on and work and connect as normal but no sign of updating.  I figured my connection at work might be sketchy so waited until I got home and repeated the whole process, still nothing

Then I got searching again and found this post:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 659&pid=1862622

I don't know what Peiter was thinking, but this worked.  After putting it in aeroplane mode the update process first told me I needed bluetooth so I turned that on, then it asked me to turn wifi on, so I did that (mobile calls and data were still off so that must be the android bug he was referring to, but still doesn't explain why SD update wouldn't work).  Then the update worked perfectly.
2019-10-1
Use props
Charvel
Second Officer

Quick instructions on how to update Osmo Action if the installation fails through DJI Mimo:

1. Copy the file downloaded by DJI Mimo - you will find it for Android in DJI/dji.mimo/firmware/AC101/ to SD card, to the root directory
2. Change the name of the firmware_ac101_01.06.00.20.bin to OSMO_ACTION_FW_V01.06.00.20.bin.
3. Insert the sd card into the webcam, start it - the update should start on its own.

Support@DJI: a big minus for you that we have to write such manuals.
I wrote yesterday to update the site, because there is still a previous version of the software. No response/no reaction.
2019-10-2
Use props
ebswift
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10299 ft

Charvel Posted at 10-2 00:31
Quick instructions on how to update Osmo Action if the installation fails through DJI Mimo:

1. Copy the file downloaded by DJI Mimo - you will find it for Android in DJI/dji.mimo/firmware/AC101/ to SD card, to the root directory

Ah jeez, it was probably #2 that got me.  Googling the solution failed me because everywhere I looked was saying just copy it to the SD card to upgrade if it fails from the phone, I didn't see this rename bit.
2019-10-2
Use props
vadiko
lvl.1

Here is a firmware
OSMO_ACTION_FW_V01.06.00.20 - http://bit.ly/V_01_06_00_20
2019-10-2
Use props
Charvel
Second Officer

ebswift Posted at 10-2 01:18
Ah jeez, it was probably #2 that got me.  Googling the solution failed me because everywhere I looked was saying just copy it to the SD card to upgrade if it fails from the phone, I didn't see this rename bit.

Don't worry - at first I did the same thing :-) The lack of reaction of the OA prompted me to download the previous version of the software and check the name of the update file - bingo ;-)
2019-10-2
Use props
MKosmo
First Officer

Had some great fun with the hyperlapse function with the new firmware, and  it may be coincidence but I’m now having major issues with tilting of the horizon using rocksteady.

I’ve had it occasionally before, but now it’s the majority of clips.  Has anyway else had this with the new firmware ? , or maybe I’ve developed a hardware fault.  Thanks.
2019-10-2
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules