WARNING: 3.5mm Adaptor is MONO
1280 16 2019-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Battistella
lvl.2
Flight distance : 154521 ft

Exactly what the title says.

I would have thought that for the prie of the adaptor that the OSMO POCKET would at least record stereo sound.

NOPE.

It's too bad, because for Podcasters split track stereo would have been a great bonus.

If you make a new adaptor - make it stereo so that  tep person interview can be recorded with one person on each side and no crosstalk.

Thank you,

David

2019-9-30
Use props
NoëI
lvl.4

Search on this forum for it. It's been mentioned a lot of times already.
2019-9-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day David. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared. The output will depend on the microphone you will be using on the 3.5mm mic adapter. If the external microphone is mono recorded, then the recorded or output  audio is mono. And if the external microphone is a two-channel stereo mic, then the recorded or output audio will be a two-channel stereo. Thank you.
2019-9-30
Use props
TheCameraLens
lvl.2

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-30 10:13
Hello and good day David. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared. The output will depend on the microphone you will be using on the 3.5mm mic adapter. If the external microphone is mono recorded, then the recorded or output  audio is mono. And if the external microphone is a two-channel stereo mic, then the recorded or output audio will be a two-channel stereo. Thank you.

@DJI Stephen. Can you use the adapter with a stereo (trs) to 2 RCA connectors  cable to record line level stereo? I want to be able to record the output from my computer via a USB interface into the Osmo Pocket so that I can make a video of me playing guitar to a backing track and have the sound be direct rather than from a microphone.
2019-9-30
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

TheCameraLens Posted at 9-30 10:31
@DJI Stephen. Can you use the adapter with a stereo (trs) to 2 RCA connectors  cable to record line level stereo? I want to be able to record the output from my computer via a USB interface into the Osmo Pocket so that I can make a video of me playing guitar to a backing track and have the sound be direct rather than from a microphone.

You should always use a line to mic attenuator if connecting line level outputs to a mic input.
As to the output being stereo. Only if both my ears are located in the center of my head could I describe the sound coming out of the Osmo Pocket with an adapter as to what I hear naturally.
Round and around we go on this subject, so one of two things must be true.
Either there is a very large batch of defective audio adapters sold and in use and some do work as intended or,
The use of the word 'stereo' is lost in translation.
There is phase variance at some frequencies which is not the same thing.
2019-9-30
Use props
TheCameraLens
lvl.2

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-30 11:58
You should always use a line to mic attenuator if connecting line level outputs to a mic input.
As to the output being stereo. Only if both my ears are located in the center of my head could I describe the sound coming out of the Osmo Pocket with an adapter as to what I hear naturally.
Round and around we go on this subject, so one of two things must be true.

The attenuator is a good point. I wasn't thinking about that.
I know this may be a silly question, but have you used the mic you are using with the audio adapter with anything else, and proved that the mic itself is stereo? Maybe the issue is either a non stereo mic or the mic plug isn't mating properly with the adapter and therefore not acting as a stereo input but is shorting left and right together causing a mono input. I have had that happen to me in the past where the socket spring tension was stopping the plug inserting fully. Maybe a bad batch of adapters with that problem are around.
2019-9-30
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

TheCameraLens Posted at 9-30 12:34
The attenuator is a good point. I wasn't thinking about that.
I know this may be a silly question, but have you used the mic you are using with the audio adapter with anything else, and proved that the mic itself is stereo? Maybe the issue is either a non stereo mic or the mic plug isn't mating properly with the adapter and therefore not acting as a stereo input but is shorting left and right together causing a mono input. I have had that happen to me in the past where the socket spring tension was stopping the plug inserting fully. Maybe a bad batch of adapters with that problem are around.

Hi.
I built the mic myself and works fine with my DSLR configured to an X-Y pickup pattern. I have five other mics, two stereo and three mono. One stereo mic is a cheap ultra wide condenser and the other is a three way variable pickup pattern mic that goes from hypercardioid to X-Y to wide. My other three mono mics range from a Pro AKG unit to mid range Rode to a cheap Saramonic SR-XM1. All work well with my DSLRs, Mixers PC and Mini Disc recorders. If you try another configuration of wiring for a mic to the Osmo Pocket other than a feed from both Tip and ring with ground returning the adapter will not work. Powered mics give very low output.
It could well be some problem with the physical construction of the adapter but the few tear-down videos I've seen seem to indicate this is not the case. In the videos I can make out the ADC which appears to be a Texas instruments Burrs Brown converter four channel ADC which has very good specs, but on the other side of the board is another chip that I can't identify and have no idea how this thing has been wired up as the ADC can be configured several ways according to the data sheet dependent on intended use. It could even be a firmware issue that is causing the problem.
But please, if anyone can get this thing to do stereo as we know it from the adapter via the Osmo Pocket please put up a sound file.
Even one from DJI with positive left, right and center identification would be welcomed.
I will not hold my breath.
2019-9-30
Use props
Battistella
lvl.2
Flight distance : 154521 ft

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-30 10:13
Hello and good day David. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared. The output will depend on the microphone you will be using on the 3.5mm mic adapter. If the external microphone is mono recorded, then the recorded or output  audio is mono. And if the external microphone is a two-channel stereo mic, then the recorded or output audio will be a two-channel stereo. Thank you.

Thanks for your reply. I’m not using a mic. I am feeding a split track output from a Mix pre recorder into the connection with a TRS cable. The mixer is panned left right for the two mic inputs and the outputs are also panned left right.

Still, the left and right microphones are recorded as one mono signal.
2019-9-30
Use props
TheCameraLens
lvl.2

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-30 13:29
Hi.
I built the mic myself and works fine with my DSLR configured to an X-Y pickup pattern. I have five other mics, two stereo and three mono. One stereo mic is a cheap ultra wide condenser and the other is a three way variable pickup pattern mic that goes from hypercardioid to X-Y to wide. My other three mono mics range from a Pro AKG unit to mid range Rode to a cheap Saramonic SR-XM1. All work well with my DSLRs, Mixers PC and Mini Disc recorders. If you try another configuration of wiring for a mic to the Osmo Pocket other than a feed from both Tip and ring with ground returning the adapter will not work. Powered mics give very low output.
It could well be some problem with the physical construction of the adapter but the few tear-down videos I've seen seem to indicate this is not the case. In the videos I can make out the ADC which appears to be a Texas instruments Burrs Brown converter four channel ADC which has very good specs, but on the other side of the board is another chip that I can't identify and have no idea how this thing has been wired up as the ADC can be configured several ways according to the data sheet dependent on intended use. It could even be a firmware issue that is causing the problem.

I had a feeling that you knew what you were talking about and that you knew the mic was OK. I thought I would just ask the question as it is all too easy to get caught up in one train of thought. I know I have been guilty of that many times. I hope that you find a resolution to the issue.
2019-9-30
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

TheCameraLens Posted at 9-30 13:41
I had a feeling that you knew what you were talking about and that you knew the mic was OK. I thought I would just ask the question as it is all too easy to get caught up in one train of thought. I know I have been guilty of that many times. I hope that you find a resolution to the issue.

The only resolution anyone has found here to date is to use an external recorder and then sync the output in post production. A pity because in all other aspects the sound from the Osmo Pocket is reasonably high quality and the auto leveling function and clipping  overload function has been second to none.
My guess, and it's only a guess is that initially the second mic and it's positioning on the Osmo Pocket was only intended for wind noise cancellation which was not only not very effective but people complained the resulting sound was unacceptable. DJI was quick to respond to that and something was done to a firmware update that improved things. This was all done before the release of the audio adapter. The resulting output was not true stereo either but we put that down to the positioning of the mics and hoped the audio adapter would rectify that. We felt that using an  external mic with sufficient wind protection would be a good solution, but it turned out what we got was not the weird sounding output that the Osmo Pocket itself produced but what seemed like an adapter that was very fussy about which microphones worked best with it and regardless of wiring configuration and what to anyone with two functioning ears sounds completely mono. Two channels or not. One channel only (either side, doesn't matter) produces no sound at all and both channels wired to independent mic capsules gives a non spacial sound-stage.
It was only after the release of the adapter that we found that problem.
If you can inspect the video info it reports  two independent channels for audio within the aac. stream at 192kb/s @ 48kHz. with an independent frame rate of 46.875 FPS regardless of the frame rate of the video, but that's not uncommon.

However, put the sound file into an audio editor capable  of splitting up the left and right channels into separate tracks and you will find near identical waveforms.
Use two identical mics placed one upon another and send the result  to an Osmo Pocket and the other to a separate sound recorder and it's chalk and cheese.  

For a really portable setup with a small microphone the adapter is useful and help keeps down the extra amount of gear needed but not helpful in any other respect. If you look at the last video I put up and go to the last few minutes where I'm in the middle of a crowd you would find it hard to know who is saying what or where even though the speech is clear enough.
I've built PA systems, PCs, mics, radios and all types of electronic gear over the years and this has me baffled with one other question.
In the video data file, the audio steam is labeled DJI.AAC. Does that mean DJI have their own variation of aac? is it the encoding that can't be read back?
If so there may be hope yet but not from the admins here. It's not their fault and I'm sure some of what we type on this forum gets passed on.
But then again what car ever does the advertised mileage?
Does a washing machine really get rid of all those stains at the described temperatures?
Will Britain ever leave Europe?
Answers on a postcard please.
2019-9-30
Use props
TheCameraLens
lvl.2

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-30 15:23
The only resolution anyone has found here to date is to use an external recorder and then sync the output in post production. A pity because in all other aspects the sound from the Osmo Pocket is reasonably high quality and the auto leveling function and clipping  overload function has been second to none.
My guess, and it's only a guess is that initially the second mic and it's positioning on the Osmo Pocket was only intended for wind noise cancellation which was not only not very effective but people complained the resulting sound was unacceptable. DJI was quick to respond to that and something was done to a firmware update that improved things. This was all done before the release of the audio adapter. The resulting output was not true stereo either but we put that down to the positioning of the mics and hoped the audio adapter would rectify that. We felt that using an  external mic with sufficient wind protection would be a good solution, but it turned out what we got was not the weird sounding output that the Osmo Pocket itself produced but what seemed like an adapter that was very fussy about which microphones worked best with it and regardless of wiring configuration and what to anyone with two functioning ears sounds completely mono. Two channels or not. One channel only (either side, doesn't matter) produces no sound at all and both channels wired to independent mic capsules gives a non spacial sound-stage.
It was only after the release of the adapter that we found that problem.

2019-9-30
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

2019-9-30
Use props
TheCameraLens
lvl.2

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-30 15:23
The only resolution anyone has found here to date is to use an external recorder and then sync the output in post production. A pity because in all other aspects the sound from the Osmo Pocket is reasonably high quality and the auto leveling function and clipping  overload function has been second to none.
My guess, and it's only a guess is that initially the second mic and it's positioning on the Osmo Pocket was only intended for wind noise cancellation which was not only not very effective but people complained the resulting sound was unacceptable. DJI was quick to respond to that and something was done to a firmware update that improved things. This was all done before the release of the audio adapter. The resulting output was not true stereo either but we put that down to the positioning of the mics and hoped the audio adapter would rectify that. We felt that using an  external mic with sufficient wind protection would be a good solution, but it turned out what we got was not the weird sounding output that the Osmo Pocket itself produced but what seemed like an adapter that was very fussy about which microphones worked best with it and regardless of wiring configuration and what to anyone with two functioning ears sounds completely mono. Two channels or not. One channel only (either side, doesn't matter) produces no sound at all and both channels wired to independent mic capsules gives a non spacial sound-stage.
It was only after the release of the adapter that we found that problem.

Where can I find your video? I want to be able to hear what you are talking about and hear what kind of quality I can expect from the adapter if I go ahead and get one.
2019-10-1
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

TheCameraLens Posted at 10-1 04:56
Where can I find your video? I want to be able to hear what you are talking about and hear what kind of quality I can expect from the adapter if I go ahead and get one.

You can find it Here
Please forgive the video quality at the start. I didn't get the export settings of my LNE correct for YouTube.
I had to recently rebuild my PC and I lost all my export settings.
The audio is at I recorded it. No compression or frequency adjustments or volume leveling. Straight from the Pocket as is. The mic is using a foam windshield and dead cat and continually points in the same direction as the footage.It was made as a sound test of the microphone I built. It's first proper outing.
2019-10-1
Use props
TheCameraLens
lvl.2

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 10-1 11:30
You can find it Here
Please forgive the video quality at the start. I didn't get the export settings of my LNE correct for YouTube.
I had to recently rebuild my PC and I lost all my export settings.

Yeah I can definitely hear what you are talking about. There is no way that could be considered stereo.
No need to apologize about the video quality. I have posted video to YouTube that should be high quality and YouTube recompresses it to have all kinds of compression artifacts. That is by saving it to a YouTube specific format from my NLE.
Seeing that video reminds me of when I was still in England and used to go to Portsmouth. I left England 33 years ago.
2019-10-1
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

TheCameraLens Posted at 10-1 12:04
Yeah I can definitely hear what you are talking about. There is no way that could be considered stereo.
No need to apologize about the video quality. I have posted video to YouTube that should be high quality and YouTube recompresses it to have all kinds of compression artifacts. That is by saving it to a YouTube specific format from my NLE.
Seeing that video reminds me of when I was still in England and used to go to Portsmouth. I left England 33 years ago.

Trying to get a YouTube video to load with good quality and least compression seems to be a dark art which I thought I had mastered but lost the formula when my PC crashed. I normally make written notes on a notepad by my desk for things like that but forgot to do anything about YouTube uploading. It's not bad once I'm not facing the sun in that one but at the beginning it's pretty much mushed any face coming towards me. The actual quality of audio the is reasonable, and the bass frequencies from the nearby sound stage does carry. I was happy with the performance of the wind shielding I'd put into place but as you say, not stereo.
As for leaving England, you haven't missed much other than the nostalgia, HP sauce and Marmite
2019-10-1
Use props
TheCameraLens
lvl.2

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 10-1 12:24
Trying to get a YouTube video to load with good quality and least compression seems to be a dark art which I thought I had mastered but lost the formula when my PC crashed. I normally make written notes on a notepad by my desk for things like that but forgot to do anything about YouTube uploading. It's not bad once I'm not facing the sun in that one but at the beginning it's pretty much mushed any face coming towards me. The actual quality of audio the is reasonable, and the bass frequencies from the nearby sound stage does carry. I was happy with the performance of the wind shielding I'd put into place but as you say, not stereo.
As for leaving England, you haven't missed much other than the nostalgia, HP sauce and Marmite

I can get HP sauce and Marmite over here. What I can't get is Old Peculiar beer and Milk Bottle sweets.
2019-10-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules