P4P sent to DJI for repair (a question)
1121 11 2019-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jim Watkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9132172 ft

Hey everybody,

I had not uesd my P4P for a few weeks and when I last flew it, I discovered that the focus was not functioning.  Whether you try autofocus or manual focus.  The focus does not change.  The focus function is not moving the lens element.  It's dead.  Video is okay (just soft).  No other problems and it was working before.  It is not in warrantee.  I just returned it to DJI for a repair estimate.  I am asking for your opinions on this.  The P4P has no otrher problems and even the camera works fine except that the focus isn't changing.  Do you think DJI will repair this, or replace it, or are they going to tell me I need to spend hundreds of dollars on a replacement camera, when I know that it's only the lens and it's focusing mechanism that fas failed.  No crash, no physical or even cosmetic damage.  It just stopped focusing.  Interested in your predictions.  I'll let you know what happens when I hear from DJI.

Thanks,

--Jim Watkins
(Burabnk, CA)
2019-9-30
Use props
Geebax
First Officer

Jim, all the repair facilities are manned by module swappers. They do not diagnose anything down to component level, just swap out the offending section at the largest replaceable module. In this case it probably would be the camera, and you could do that yourself.
2019-9-30
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, On behalf of DJI I extend my sincere apologies for the issues that you have experienced with us. In order for us to verify the exact issue, you're experiencing with the unit right now would you be able to share us a video of this concern so we can further check and forward the issue to our R & D Department for further assistance? Appreciate your cooperation and looking forward to your response. Thank you.
2019-9-30
Use props
Jim Watkins
lvl.4

DJI Diana Posted at 9-30 13:47
Hi, On behalf of DJI I extend my sincere apologies for the issues that you have experienced with us. In order for us to verify the exact issue, you're experiencing with the unit right now would you be able to share us a video of this concern so we can further check and forward the issue to our R & D Department for further assistance? Appreciate your cooperation and looking forward to your response. Thank you.

I don't have any video.  I have already shipped the P4P to DJI.  THe problem is extraordinarily easy to understand.  The camera does not focus when you initiate focus either by pressing (half way) the photo button of by tapping on the screen.  When you set it to manual focus and then adjust the focus, nothing happens and if you look at the lens you do not see the elements moving as you normally would.  Either the focus mechanism is mechanically jammed (unlikely since no crash) or it has failed electrically.  Other than that the camera is just fine as is the drone.  I ain't spending hundreds of dollars on this!

--Jim
(Burbank, CA)
2019-9-30
Use props
Jim Watkins
lvl.4

Geebax Posted at 9-30 13:46
Jim, all the repair facilities are manned by module swappers. They do not diagnose anything down to component level, just swap out the offending section at the largest replaceable module. In this case it probably would be the camera, and you could do that yourself.

I just discover that the P4P lens assembly part is available online.  I didn't know that was available.  Looks like they want $175 for it.  Is that what you were suggesting I could do for a repair, or were you saying I could replace the entire camera myself?  There is no way I am spending six or seven hundred dollars on an entire new camera.  I am hoping DJI will fix it for the cost of the lense assembly component.  If not, I will have them return it.

--Jim
2019-9-30
Use props
Geebax
First Officer

Jim Watkins Posted at 9-30 14:52
I just discover that the P4P lens assembly part is available online.  I didn't know that was available.  Looks like they want $175 for it.  Is that what you were suggesting I could do for a repair, or were you saying I could replace the entire camera myself?  There is no way I am spending six or seven hundred dollars on an entire new camera.  I am hoping DJI will fix it for the cost of the lense assembly component.  If not, I will have them return it.

--Jim

You could possibly replace the lens section, however I have not done it so I cannot say for sure. Someone else may have an opinion on this. But DJI are not going to repair it for the cost of the part, as it is out of warranty. Repairs are usually done by non-DJI service centres, and they don't work for free.
2019-9-30
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>

Subscribed... curious how this is going to go.
2019-9-30
Use props
Jim Watkins
lvl.4

Jim Watkins Posted at 9-30 14:52
I just discover that the P4P lens assembly part is available online.  I didn't know that was available.  Looks like they want $175 for it.  Is that what you were suggesting I could do for a repair, or were you saying I could replace the entire camera myself?  There is no way I am spending six or seven hundred dollars on an entire new camera.  I am hoping DJI will fix it for the cost of the lense assembly component.  If not, I will have them return it.

--Jim

I don't expect them to repair it for free.  I would like them to repair my P4P at a reasonable cost and make a fair profit in the process.  I simply do not intend to spend six or seven hundred (half the cost of the P4P) to replace the camera which works fine except for the malfunctioning lens mechanism which is a component of the camera assembly.  Hell, I could rent a Cessna 172 and fly to vegas for the weekend for less money.  At least that would be fun.
2019-9-30
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>

When its down to the camera, ive never seen it be cheap, cost of camera £600 + labour (not much in comparison), i am fairly sure they do not repair any of the cameras, they will probably go back to Sony for repair and restock for future camera swaps.

Even taking a risk and buying a spares or repairs P4P just for the camera is a big gamble too seen as you wont know till you get it.

Youre in a tough spot, even more so that they have your bird, i think theres also the charge to look it over too, even though there shouldnt be because you yourself know its the camera, they know that they swap them out so, 5 mins to power it up, check focus and say yep, needs another camera shouldnt cost a mountain but will prob be 1hr abour.

Are you 100% sure its not app related though, an app update can cause strange things to happen, your very issue was one my mate had on his mavic pro, uninstalled the app, reinstalled it again and all was well again with the focus. If thats the case, they will see that as soon as they power it up with their own tablet/phone as it will work fine, if thats the case, bonus, it will just cost prob 1hrs labour checking it out
2019-9-30
Use props
Geebax
First Officer

Bashy Posted at 9-30 16:39
When its down to the camera, ive never seen it be cheap, cost of camera £600 + labour (not much in comparison), i am fairly sure they do not repair any of the cameras, they will probably go back to Sony for repair and restock for future camera swaps

Hmm, I don't think the camera is made by Sony, it would be better quality if it was. As far as I know, only the sensor is supplied by Sony. I would be on the lookout for an aircraft that someone is parting out, as long as they can guarantee that the camera works.
2019-9-30
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>

Geebax Posted at 9-30 16:43
Hmm, I don't think the camera is made by Sony, it would be better quality if it was. As far as I know, only the sensor is supplied by Sony. I would be on the lookout for an aircraft that someone is parting out, as long as they can guarantee that the camera works.

Ah my bad, i thought it was all from them, from what i remember when mine ditched and i tried to strip it all down to dry out, there is not a lot to them, metal box, control board and camera in a black plastic unit, so not much to put together. I couldnt see a way to strip down the black unit, it was sealed as far as i could tell and was nothing like anything else on the P4P if that makes sense, i would be surprised if the main camera unit (black part) is put together at DJI, i would say thats probably outsourced, the rest of the camera, housing and board, perhaps, but it doesnt shout DJI to me (what do i know lol), compared to the rest of the bird, its much better made with it being a solid unit (metal), a lot of guessing going on i admit.... having rethought about it, the housing put together at DJI without a doubt what with the gimbal attchments etc, but still thinking about the black camera unit inside, i would be surprised, ok.
2019-9-30
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Jim Watkins Posted at 9-30 14:39
I don't have any video.  I have already shipped the P4P to DJI.  THe problem is extraordinarily easy to understand.  The camera does not focus when you initiate focus either by pressing (half way) the photo button of by tapping on the screen.  When you set it to manual focus and then adjust the focus, nothing happens and if you look at the lens you do not see the elements moving as you normally would.  Either the focus mechanism is mechanically jammed (unlikely since no crash) or it has failed electrically.  Other than that the camera is just fine as is the drone.  I ain't spending hundreds of dollars on this!

--Jim

Upon checking the last repair, we've tested the camera and the drone, no issues were found during the flight test. Since you have shipped the drone back, our repair center will evaluate it and verify the issue, please keep us updated if you need any assistance during this process.
2019-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules