I have to calibrate compass before every flight?
10043 24 2019-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TimothyD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5236 ft
  • >>>

Is it common to have to calibrate the compass before every single flight on the Mavic Air?  I sure have to....

I thought at first that the magnetic field it always complains about thus prompting the compass calibration was coming from my Fitbit watch.  But taking it off makes no difference.  This all might make sense if I was always launching the drone from the exact same place and position that did in deed have some sort of magnetic interference however, that is not the case.

I don't have to re-calculate the compass each time I fly my DJI Mavic 2 Pro or my Spark.  So, why with the Mavic Air?
2019-9-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day  TimothyD. Thank you for reaching out and  I am sorry for the trouble. When the DJI Go 4 application prompts that the compass of your DJI Mavic Air needs to be calibrated, the drone’s compass has suffered from interference as the aircraft was turned on in a place where there is magnetic interference. Please make sure to fly the aircraft in an open area free of interference, when powering on the drone, ensure that the aircraft is at a standstill. If there is interference or the aircraft is powered on during movement, the compass’s orientation may be altered, and then re-calibration is needed. finally to ensure the flight stability, the DJI Go 4 application will prompt you to calibrate the compass when there is a need. Please follow the DJI Go 4 application prompt and calibrate it. Thank you for your support.
2019-9-30
Use props
TimothyD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5236 ft
  • >>>

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-30 12:53
Hello and good day  TimothyD. Thank you for reaching out and  I am sorry for the trouble. When the DJI Go 4 application prompts that the compass of your DJI Mavic Air needs to be calibrated, the drone’s compass has suffered from interference as the aircraft was turned on in a place where there is magnetic interference. Please make sure to fly the aircraft in an open area free of interference, when powering on the drone, ensure that the aircraft is at a standstill. If there is interference or the aircraft is powered on during movement, the compass’s orientation may be altered, and then re-calibration is needed. finally to ensure the flight stability, the DJI Go 4 application will prompt you to calibrate the compass when there is a need. Please follow the DJI Go 4 application prompt and calibrate it. Thank you for your support.

I do re-calibrate the Mavic Air each and every time I start it up as I stated.  What I find odd as I also stated, is that it happens EVERY TIME no matter where I am launching the drone from.  This does not happen with either my Mavic 2 Pro or my Spark...also as I stated.
2019-9-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

TimothyD Posted at 9-30 13:39
I do re-calibrate the Mavic Air each and every time I start it up as I stated.  What I find odd as I also stated, is that it happens EVERY TIME no matter where I am launching the drone from.  This does not happen with either my Mavic 2 Pro or my Spark...also as I stated.

Thank you for the additional information TimothyD. Please try to refresh the firmware of your DJI Mavic Air and please try to use a different mobile device for us to be able to isolate the said issue. If these troubleshooting steps will not be able to rectify the said issue. I would recommend you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance and analysis for the said drone. Thank you.
2019-10-1
Use props
SupCarlos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1454193 ft
  • >>>

This same issue happened to me.. I had to finally send it in for repair.
2019-10-1
Use props
SAMpSONNN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 377881 ft

I too have to re-calibrate my compass quite frequently. It is not every time, but probably 1 out of every 3 times.
2019-10-2
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft

With the Air, so far, yes.  With the Mavic 2 Pro, no.
2019-10-2
Use props
Ken Storm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178583 ft

I find I have to calibrate very often, but i'm often 50+ miles from where I last flew it so, probably expected.
The question I have is, do extra calibrations, even every flight cause issues with the drone.
2019-10-3
Use props
izotop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388763 ft

Funny, i haven't calibrate anything (nor camera, nor gps etc) anything(just regular updates), since i got my m2p about year ago, and  use it on different locations, even near some antenna station once etc.
When i check my setting, to see how sensors are doing, it's still all green, so no need to mess with calibrations and such, imo.
But would be nice to hear some official response about this, for sure..
2019-10-3
Use props
Yarks
lvl.1
Flight distance : 117421 ft

I have a similar experience with mine. Even standing on a beach miles from any building or metal objects (other than the remote?) it almost always wants to calibrate
2019-10-3
Use props
akozc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2019951 ft

This was/is /will very hot topic and discussed  deeply.
My few cents , if you travel long distance such as between the continents , then suggested to calibrate your compass at once only.
If you receive any magnetic interface warning message then change your take off location and calibrate at once only.
Some says , they ignored the warning message because after take off , warning message disappeared itself (may be because the magnetic interface is no longer an issue)  but I can not take that risk and spending few more minutes to ensure all are OK.
My understanding ( I may be wrong ) compass is giving the direction to your drone where is the North and when you activate RTH it will know the direction to go ( not GPS)
Compass off the  calibration means ,  drone may take the wrong direction because can not navigate itself correctly or preciously. So ignoring the warning may not be a good idea.
2019-10-3
Use props
akozc
lvl.4

Yarks Posted at 10-3 15:55
I have a similar experience with mine. Even standing on a beach miles from any building or metal objects (other than the remote?) it almost always wants to calibrate

Please ensure you are not wearing or carrying bulky wrist watch or even  smart watch some say causing magnetic interface.
If neither helps  then could be a hardware issue.
2019-10-3
Use props
Yarks
lvl.1

akozc Posted at 10-3 19:53
Please ensure you are not wearing or carrying bulky wrist watch or even  smart watch some say causing magnetic interface.
If neither helps  then could be a hardware issue.

Hmm, I wonder if my dive watch is enough to cause an issue.
IMG_20190912_144706.jpg
2019-10-3
Use props
akozc
lvl.4

Yarks Posted at 10-3 21:28

DOXA  ..... niceeeeee watch man
2019-10-5
Use props
Yarks
lvl.1

akozc Posted at 10-5 16:39
DOXA  ..... niceeeeee watch man

Haha, thanks! One of my favorites
2019-10-6
Use props
imasshuu
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Mine was like this when i bought it, so i never flew, so it has to go back to be replaced.
The replacement never needs calibrating. So it's clear there are units with faulty compasses.
Good luck
2019-12-9
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agree...that's a cool shot!  
2019-12-9
Use props
Ridg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

I generally do mine every time, what firmware are you running?

I'm not on the latest, but as the MA flies well and the calibration is easy I've no intention to "upgrade"
2019-12-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Sunnuto!  Great dive computer.  
2019-12-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

TimothyD Posted at 9-30 13:39

Have you tried using a different SmartDevice to run DJI's App?

Seen similar problem, but it was with a Mavic Pro P.  
Problem of repeated compass calibrations went away after switching from iPhone / iPad to Crystal Sky.
2019-12-9
Use props
fansff184075
lvl.1
Brazil

The Macic Air is a trash!!! I experienced the same of you, and 90% of the take offs, My Macic Air didn’t fly. Almost 1000 dollars spended to make me feel an idiot. Thanks DJI!!!
2019-12-10
Use props
fansff184075
lvl.1
Brazil

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-30 12:53

It”s a big joke!! A try to fly at different places, isolated, mountains and beaches far aeay from any magnetic sources and this trash drone always present me the compass error. In most of the cases, the drone do not complet the calibration and not fly. 1000 dollars at the trash!!!!
2019-12-10
Use props
speed_freakz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 569852 ft
Thailand

Same with mavic mini, Last 5 flights I had to recalibrate it.
2019-12-10
Use props
XplorerDinesh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft
India

If you have changed your location from 500 meters or more, then the drone will ask for calibration. And if you are still in the same location and for every flight if its asking for calibration, then the small workaround to fix this is:
-> Before going near or holding the drone, make sure there is no metal object on your hands.
-> While powering on the battery, DO NOT OVERTURN the drone and then switch on (which is the usual habit). Just the lift the drone up and from bottom only switch the battery ON.
Not sure, whether you can understand this statement as its very difficult to word it out. And i dont know whats the logic behind it, but it works all the time.

Hope it Helps.

Thanks & regards,
YouTube.com/XplorerDinesh
2019-12-10
Use props
Powerguy50
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1234 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had to send my original MP2 in for repair. Only had to calibrate it when I first got it. They sent what looked like a new back and every time I fly now, the app asks for a compass calibration. It will not let me fly. Its very annoying. I guess I will have to send this one back.
2020-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules