Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
UK DRONE REGISTRATION DAY
12Next >
4580 63 2019-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mockingbird_71
First Officer
Flight distance : 45459 ft

2019-10-1
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer

2019-10-1
Use props
Dale 68
Captain
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>

Mine will have to wait, I'm away from tomorrow, I'm sure it will be sorted by the time I get back.
2019-10-1
Use props
RodgertheDodger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93150 ft

I received an update from the BMFA yesterday to say they have been informed that it is unlikely to be rolled out before October 14
2019-10-1
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer

RodgertheDodger Posted at 10-1 06:29
I received an update from the BMFA yesterday to say they have been informed that it is unlikely to be rolled out before October 14
2019-10-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our valued DJI members here in Forum that currently located in the UK. Also, I will highly recommend coordinating this to your local authority for you to get accurate information. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-10-2
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer

2019-10-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

mockingbird_71 Posted at 10-2 09:59
I have spoken directly with the government agency who will run the registrations scheme. i was simply enquiring if anyone else had got updates from the one i had from the caa here in the uk!

That's great to know. Hopefully, our fellow DJI members here that already had the update will provide you the information that you need. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-10-2
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer

2019-10-2
Use props
Sean-newbie
Captain
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>

Is this cumpulsory?
2019-10-2
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer

2019-10-2
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft

OK ... I do not live in UK anymore but I follow the BMFA closely because of my membership and participation in LARPAS ..... the Latvian body advising Latvian CAA and in turn part of the EU body formulating EU rules for UAV's. Note UAV's includes ALL Model flying, not only Multi-Rotors.

BMFA is a body given the job by UK Authorities to advise and form guidelines - these then are used by UK CAA and others in conjunction with other bodies in the EU to create the guidelines.

My Father was a Senior in the UK CAA and from watching / listening to him all those years - I understand the CAA can 'knee-jerk' ... but today is part of the EU overall governing body. Therefore UK CAA is as  we see in LARPAS - issuing statements of intent - same as Latvian CAA and many others do.

I'm not arguing against what is linked - not that daft ... but what I would suggest - is be part of BMFA and join in the overall debate that will formulate your future use of your models. Whether you like BMFA or not - they do have the 'ear' of authorities and do make a difference.

One example :

As Hobby Flyers - if join and follow the safety rules and guidelines of a recognised Club or Community Group, many CAA requirements of Certification etc. are not imposed. (Paraphrased from the EU submission in discussion at this time).
Given recent incidents whther actual or not - registration and limitations were inevitable. Some will object, some will not comply ... but at end of day its a result of perceived threat.
2019-10-3
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer

==============================

2019-10-3
Use props
solentlife
Captain

No need to get all 'shirty' ... there's nothing in my post that conflicts with your post.

But taking each of your points :

1) you are not a uk resident so does not affect you in any way !

I am a Brit actually and was until I moved to Latvia - SMAE Club Rep (various). I may not live in UK now - but in fact what happens in UK is not only of great interest to me should I ever return, but also because the EU wide discussions include UK as well as affect UK. I also do fly in UK at various times when I visit my sons and other family members.

2. i cannot corobourate any part of your story about who you do and dont know in organisations!

Your problem - not mine. Similarly - you say you 'speak to CAA' ... interesting.

3. The link was directed at the caa,s web site which im sure you well know is the aviation governing body here in the uk and gives all the new directives on drone flight and drone usage. Thats in black and white and is fact not specualation.

Seems you missed my statement "I'm not arguing against what is linked - not that daft ."

I am fully aware of UK CAA and its powers ... as I say my Father was Senior Flight Ops for UK CAA for many years ... even was involved in setting up Air Accident Organisation ... was 'Inspector' for first trans Polar flight by UK aircraft - still have his nav computers used on that flight .... he was on the operational committees that put Concorde into service ... so I may have a little bit of knowledge of who UK CAA are !

4. im not now nor ever going to join any organisation regardless of what information they can or cannot give!

Sad ... because then that means you are a lone voice and will just have to suffer what those 'organisations' manage to get from authorities.

FYI - SMAE has been and still is a recognised advisory body to the CAA and Authorities regarding model flight which includes 'Drones'. BMFA being part of SMAE has the job of co-ordinating to the grass roots membership.

5. the british model flying ascociation have had imput when the caa out for consulatation and as far as im aware have no formal special input into its findings! or the action that will impliment the final desissions.

BMFA as part of SMAE was given opportunity to provide and discuss consultative documents - as were other bodies in all other EU states to their respective Authorities ... even though I'm a Brit - I was involved in LARPAS discussions.
The discussions were EU wide and NOT just UK. Individual Authorities will decide what parts of the discussed will be implemented, but eventually the EU intention is for EASA guidelines to be EU wide.

Final comment ... My post was in fair and honest form - based on having been in and still ongoing EU based discussions of UAV rules and suggesting that being a member of a consultative organisation as in BMFA (SMAE) is worthwhile. If you have decided that BMFA is not for you - that is your decision, but don't go crying to anyone that you don't like the rules that then come out. You decided to not be part of your Hobby's representation.

My experiences when SMAE rep - showed me BMFA (SMAE) was far more effective in discussions with authorities than ever imagined.
2019-10-3
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer

2019-10-3
Use props
solentlife
Captain

mockingbird_71 Posted at 10-3 10:05
i fly by the rules that will be implimented here in the uk! and will be law and will be written in the ANO.

shirty ? i havnt even started yet, its know alls on a forum that destroys good feeling from within.

Fine ... your choice.

2019-10-3
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer

2019-10-3
Use props
solentlife
Captain

mockingbird_71 Posted at 10-3 10:17
Now run along and go bore someone else

Now Now .... don't be nasty ....

2019-10-3
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer

2019-10-3
Use props
Goldenseal
First Officer
Flight distance : 487034 ft

Mockingbird, I can't read most of your posts.  What happened? I wanted to know more about the decisions on the laws and mandates. Oh well, I'll Google it. LOL
2019-10-3
Use props
solentlife
Captain

Goldenseal Posted at 10-3 17:20
Mockingbird, I can't read most of your posts.  What happened? I wanted to know more about the decisions on the laws and mandates. Oh well, I'll Google it. LOL

I think he's gone of in a 'huff' ...

I am actually very sad that he considers it necessary to delete his original post - which was never in conflict.

TBH - your comment to google and actually read the info direct is probably best. But be careful to make sure the source you are reading is actually connected or involved with the matter. There are many half-ar*** accounts out there ...

Here's a direct link to all the material ...

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft-and-drones/

Note : The EU is still conducting extensive discussions to consolidate and formalise a full set for EU overall. This has a direct effect on UK as well as other EU states guidelines / rules.
Like many 'Govt' matters - initial deadlines run out and matters get put back ... again and again ...

Example is the 2017 Consultation Document - All EU involved - is still not fully agreed... this results in parts implemented, other parts left aside ...

Yes - its a mess ... but that's EU style for you.
2019-10-4
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer

Goldenseal Posted at 10-3 17:20
Mockingbird, I can't read most of your posts.  What happened? I wanted to know more about the decisions on the laws and mandates. Oh well, I'll Google it. LOL
Solentlife above is taking all questions on the new uk drone legislation and third party organisations input into the building of the legislation.  All my content has been removed and have a great day
2019-10-4
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer

======================
2019-10-4
Use props
solentlife
Captain

Stop being a fool.

You made a post asking about the delay in Reg'n according to UK CAA UAV guidelines. A very good post and valuable question. The thread then evolved as they tend to do.

I added a post to be additional info based on what is happening EU wide, which UK is still part of and actually a major agent in the discussions, along with a suggestion that being part of the body consulted by UK CAA would be a good idea.

Your decision to then get all upset was yours and no-one elses.

Personally I don't give a monkeys what you think of me .... what I care about is the UAV discussions that are still ongoing in EU to get to a defining set of rules. Unlike you, I took the step of becoming a member of a body that has direct connection to be part of the discussions. It may be in Latvia, but all EU Member states Aviation Authorities are required to submit their findings and suggestions for the final rules. That includes UK. All bodies receive copies of the papers as a Consultative document at regularly intervals - to then agree or suggest as necessary.

I have given a web link for anyone interested to follow up all aspects of UAV ops in UK ... so there's no need for snide comments such as : "Solentlife above is taking all questions on the new uk drone legislation and third party organisations input into the building of the legislation."

If you actually took the trouble to look into SMAE / BMFA function with the UAV subject in UK and EU - you might be pleasantly surprised.

Here again is the Link that says all and no need for ars** comments ...

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft-and-drones/

Before I finish - I think a round of appreciation and thanks for all those who have joined the Associations and Groups around EU such as SMAE / BMFA and who are working hard to ensure that EU and UK do not end in similar mess to what happened elsewhere. Their time and effort in the discussions have prevented some draconian measures being implemented. The discussions continue.
2019-10-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>

Unbelievable, how rude, your replies were nothing but informative, such a shame another one decides its best to delete post content and look silly/childish rather than bow out like a normal person,  where is this link and what info to  the registrations did it provide?

I for one am on the fence regarding the registrations, damned if you do and damned if you dont, i will explain my point, If i dont register i will be fined, if i do register, that leaves me open to visits from the "filth" for any and all issues drone related in my area, then it will be down to me to prove it was not me, how do i do that? well, probably lose my drone and possibly any and all media storage, not limited to, PC, laptops, phones, tablets, storage devices etc, so that the police can forensically check them to prove its was not me, thats probably worse case scenario, but the former, at the very least, having the police come round whenever there is a drone issue here, i really dont be needing that sort of hassle from the "feds".

So on that note, they can drag their heels for as long as they like
2019-10-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>

Yes chap, it will be
2019-10-4
Use props
solentlife
Captain

Unbelievable, how rude, your replies were nothing but informative, such a shame another one decides its best to delete post content and look silly/childish rather than bow out like a normal person

Thanks for understanding. I never intended to counter. conflict or insult ... just adding relevant additional insight into how the processes work.

Sadly with go it alone as can be seen by the fiasco in USA, AMA has tried to get more to join and help - but still today represents a lot less than half the flyers in USA ... there then is no real 'pressure group' to fight the cause. That is why I suggest people should join the National Associations.

Registration and the weight / size limits actually are NOT a new thing. If anyone cares to look back over the past - the weight and size limits were already there based on Large Model Association ... SMAE and other bodies having negotiated with Govt Dept's. Of course in those days - registration was not a part - unless you tried to go it alone. It is no surprise that today - the CAA have taken those previously agreed weights etc. and written them into the proposed rule book.

Registration ? is it really that bad ? The real problem is not the registration, but human nature resisting authority !!  Not trying to insult - far from it - but look at the OP and his reaction to suggestion of joining BMFA .... to actually be part of the advisory body ...

I apologise if OP thinks I've insulted him, that is not the intent nor have I done so. Put it down to Forum Speak !  
2019-10-5
Use props
embayweather
Captain
Flight distance : 556667 ft

I have just looked on Skywise, the link that the CAA communicate with us. Nothing on there about the upcoming registration. Personally I am happy that it is postponed. Currently going through my 48 page Operations Manual for PfCO renewal, and try to collate all the changes that have already come along.  It really does make stamp collecting, reading, knitting etc look mighty attractive. i still have to get some flight hours in as well and the weather is not co operating at all.
2019-10-5
Use props
solentlife
Captain

Now the discussion is proceeding in a good manner. The subject started by "mockingbird_71" has not died despite his unnecessary rudeness and departure.

"mockingbird_71" why not return to the discussion ... join in ? Seems a bit silly for you to ignore it.
2019-10-5
Use props
Goldenseal
First Officer
Flight distance : 487034 ft

solentlife Posted at 10-5 00:00
Thanks for understanding. I never intended to counter. conflict or insult ... just adding relevant additional insight into how the processes work.

Sadly with go it alone as can be seen by the fiasco in USA, AMA has tried to get more to join and help - but still today represents a lot less than half the flyers in USA ... there then is no real 'pressure group' to fight the cause. That is why I suggest people should join the National Associations.

"Fiasco in USA."  LOL

I think things are going much better in the USA with drone regulations than in the EU. We have more freedom flying our drones than the EU and their Draconian laws. That's what started this post in the beginning. That poor man with the RC helicopter near Gatwick. That wasn't right the way he was treated by the law officials. I fear flying in Europe.
2019-10-6
Use props
Sean-newbie
Captain
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>

''''Is this cumpulsory?''
Yes chap, it will be''

That's going to be a pain in the derrier.
2019-10-6
Use props
solentlife
Captain

Goldenseal Posted at 10-6 16:54
"Fiasco in USA."  LOL

I think things are going much better in the USA with drone regulations than in the EU. We have more freedom flying our drones than the EU and their Draconian laws. That's what started this post in the beginning. That poor man with the RC helicopter near Gatwick. That wasn't right the way he was treated by the law officials. I fear flying in Europe.

Reason I said 'fiasco' .... wasn't so long ago that FAA imposed registration on US Flyers despite the discussions with AMA etc.
Then few months later cancelled it and invited comments ....

As I read in many reports and what comes through to us at Larpas - we look at as many rules / guidelines as possible to try avoid the pitfalls - the matters are still 'in discussion' in USA.

As regards the Helicopter guy ? If you mean the guy who was 'detained' near the start and then released - a lot of that was as a result of media jumping on the 'wagon' ...

EU discussions are actually orderly and follow a stipulated path. I may not be a fan of EU - but on this - they are actually listening to the flyers via the National Associations ....

You only have to think about how many posts / comments online about USA proposals vs that of EU  ... I accept that USA flyers make up a larger % of the online RC community ... but even allowing for that - you have very little posting about EU regs than US ...  
2019-10-7
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer

======================================================
2019-10-12
Use props
dayviduk
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Oh my word , what have I missed in the few months I have been away ,

Not sure how you could find solentlife  an @rsehole , surely hes one of the best contributors on here .

As for a Scum Rat maybe try looking in a mirror mockingbird for the real Shmuck as you put it.
2019-11-3
Use props
solentlife
Captain
United Kingdom

dayviduk Posted at 11-3 07:23
Oh my word , what have I missed in the few months I have been away ,

Not sure how you could find solentlife  an @rsehole , surely hes one of the best contributors on here .

Thank you for the support - I try to help but I am as others - just a hobby flyer who takes a keen interest in the proceedings.

Seems no matter what I post - there are a couple of people who like to downvote anything I say ... sad - but their choice. Especially that I haven't  downvoted any others for a very long time ! And then it was only in response to one doing it.
2019-11-4
Use props
solentlife
Captain
United Kingdom

So word is out that Last Day November is registration deadline for 250gr up to 20kg for ALL flying models.

But ... this is important ... As I have posted elsewhere, the exemption is there for those who join a recognised Organisation who has a Safety and General Practices Guideline setup. At present that is 5 organisations in UK ...

Quote :

Not all owners must register by 30 November. Exemptions have been granted for members of several associations involved with flying model aircraft or other small, remotely controlled craft such as drones.

The five associations are

The UK Drone Association (Arpas UK)
British Model Flying Association
Scottish Aeromodellers' Association
Large Model Association
FPV UK

The full text :

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/ ... craft-registration/

2019-11-5
Use props
PhantomPhil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44731 ft
United Kingdom

Well, you'd think that with holding BMFA Certificates A & B for both fixed wing and helicopters since 1988 and having a private pilots licence I might be exempt from further bureaucracy like this.  Its just not worth arguing about so reluctantly I succumbed to spending five minutes of my valuable time and £9 to get the rubber stamp necessary to fly these toys legally. A lot of fuss about nothing in the end. Think I'll get the Mavic Mini for use outside the UK.

2019-11-5
Use props
Dale 68
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PhantomPhil Posted at 11-5 12:27
Well, you'd think that with holding BMFA Certificates A & B for both fixed wing and helicopters since 1988 and having a private pilots licence I might be exempt from further bureaucracy like this.  Its just not worth arguing about so reluctantly I succumbed to spending five minutes of my valuable time and £9 to get the rubber stamp necessary to fly these toys legally. A lot of fuss about nothing in the end. Think I'll get the Mavic Mini for use outside the UK.

[view_image]

If you hold a Certificate  with the  BMFA your exempt (for now), I hold one with FPV UK which is also on there exemptions list, I've got no problem in registering but if i don't need to  I will hold on to see what happens.

Not all owners must register by 30 November. Exemptions have been granted for members of several associations involved with flying model aircraft or other small, remotely controlled craft such as drones.

The five associations are

The UK Drone Association (Arpas UK)
British Model Flying Association
Scottish Aeromodellers' Association
Large Model Association
FPV UK

Taken from:

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/ ... craft-registration/
2019-11-6
Use props
PhantomPhil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44731 ft
United Kingdom

Dale 68 Posted at 11-6 00:17
If you hold a Certificate  with the  BMFA your exempt (for now), I hold one with FPV UK which is also on there exemptions list, I've got no problem in registering but if i don't need to  I will hold on to see what happens.

You are required to register your drone if your not a member of any of those associations (which I am not), even though you may hold relevant certificates of competence. Its cheaper to register and pay the £9 and do the multiple choice questionnaire than pay £38 to join BMFA plus the additional £9 to BMFA for them to register on your behalf.  I cant think of any reason why I would join BMFA and fork out £48 to avoid doing the multiple choice questionnaire when the simple registration can be completed online for £9.
2019-11-6
Use props
Dale 68
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PhantomPhil Posted at 11-6 02:46
You are required to register your drone if your not a member of any of those associations (which I am not), even though you may hold relevant certificates of competence. Its cheaper to register and pay the £9 and do the multiple choice questionnaire than pay £38 to join BMFA plus the additional £9 to BMFA for them to register on your behalf.  I cant think of any reason why I would join BMFA and fork out £48 to avoid doing the multiple choice questionnaire when the simple registration can be completed online for £9.

Good point, I wasn't criticising. I only joined the FPV UK a couple of years ago in order to get public liability insurance for flying in France, other wise I would have gone down the route of just registering,
2019-11-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules