Is Phantom 3 advanced still a good choice?
1260 30 2019-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fuarce
lvl.1
Flight distance : 84616 ft

Hello everybody.
I am a happy owner of an old but faithful Phantom 2 with gimbal for my gopro hero 4 black.
Now I would like to switch to a superior product without spending a lot of money.
I turned to a Phantom 3 advanced used but in excellent condition, at a really cheap price (270 euros).
Do you think it's still a good buy? Or should I spend 180 euros more for a phantom 3 pro?
Thanks
2019-10-2
Use props
Ben Mason
lvl.4
Flight distance : 610614 ft
  • >>>

As far as i remember the differences are.
1. No 4K @ 30FPS Video(The Pro has this).
2. The charger is weaker but the battery is the same so charging times are longer.
2019-10-2
Use props
Fuarce
lvl.1

Yes, I know the differences, and the one that worries me the most is actually the different video bitrate: from 40Mbps to 60Mbps.
For the rest the basic question is: with all the used drones that are around, the choice of a Phantom 3 advanced is still a good choice?
2019-10-2
Use props
Ben Mason
lvl.4
Flight distance : 610614 ft
  • >>>

Fuarce Posted at 10-2 03:01
Yes, I know the differences, and the one that worries me the most is actually the different video bitrate: from 40Mbps to 60Mbps.
For the rest the basic question is: with all the used drones that are around, the choice of a Phantom 3 advanced is still a good choice?

Both are an upgrade on the Phantom 2, but the advanced would be a downgrade on your Go Pro 4 in terms of camera quality, the Pro would be similar to your GO Pro 4. I'd go for the Pro, assuming your set on one of those 2 choices.
2019-10-2
Use props
Fuarce
lvl.1

You are right, even if I use the 4K very little, and on my hero 4 I leave the 2.7k linear.
Not having problems of portability (I use it only in Italy or neighboring countries, because both in airplanes and in other countries outside Europe the limitations are too stringent: in the US cannot be used in National parks? !!?), I prefer to choose the stability of the phantom.
2019-10-2
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft

The P3Adv is a good machine ... and if it all works at 270 Euros - that is a VERY GOOD price !!

Of course the Pro has the 4K video - BUT don't run away with idea its so much better ... the video bit-rate is not high enough to stop the eye catching odd 'jitters' ... so I and I know many others drop the Pro back to a lower res but higher bit-rate to get away from the eye's natural 27 - 30 bit rate.

GoPro Hero 4 ? Interested in your views on it ... I have a GoPro 4 and I 'hate it' ..... it EATS batterys .... in fact I have literally given up trying to get decent use out of it. Business partner passed a full case system to me ... Removu, WiFi controller, Waterproof cases, Selfie stick, loads of accessories ...  hard and soft liner case .... in fact the whole she-bang was about $800 worth ...  I have $50 sport cams that do better !!  But seriously interested in how you find the GP H4 ...
2019-10-2
Use props
Fuarce
lvl.1

With the latest firmware of the GoPro hero 4 black has the "linear" mode
Linear FOV isn’t available in all video sizes and framerates, in part because the software processing has to cannibalize information around the edges of the frame. These are the video modes it’s available in:
    1080p (60fps and below)
Linear FOV is available in the Timelapse Photo mode but isn’t in the Timelapse Video mode.
Below you can see an example of the videos you can do with this mode: it's my dedicated FB page!
https://www.facebook.com/Dronzate/videos/383578405644770/
I am very fond of my Hero4, because it allowed me to make videos and even photos (some examples: [url]https://www.juzaphoto.com/galleria.php?l=it&t=3325292 [/ url], [url ] https://www.juzaphoto.com/galleria.php?l=it&t=3325291 [/ url], [url]https://www.juzaphoto.com/galleria.php?l=it&t=3329789 [/ url ]), from the point of view that any other machine would not have been able to do. If you add the fact that it is very sturdy (I also fell 10 meters on the rocks with my poor Phantom ...), in my opinion it is still unbeatable.
2019-10-2
Use props
mockingbird_71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45459 ft

2019-10-2
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer

Fuarce Posted at 10-2 04:41
With the latest firmware of the GoPro hero 4 black has the "linear" mode
Linear FOV isn’t available in all video sizes and framerates, in part because the software processing has to cannibalize information around the edges of the frame. These are the video modes it’s available in:

One thing I hate with many cams today ... Wide Angle .... as soon as I start watching - I stop ... I really dislike it ...

Must have a look at the Linear mode ...
Edit : Seems I already had her in Linear 1080 mode !
2019-10-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendation and suggestions from our valued DJI members here in Forum. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-10-2
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft

Is still a good machine IMO

2019-10-3
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 10-3 10:43
Is still a good machine IMO

At 270e .... if it all works - its a STEAL !!
2019-10-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft

As long as you find a trouble free model, it will be great.

RedHotPoker
2019-10-3
Use props
jthornton
lvl.2

RedHotPoker Posted at 10-3 11:46
As long as you find a trouble free model, it will be great.

What tablets are still available for the Phantom 3 Advanced? I'm looking at getting one that is for sale.

I tried to create a new thread but it would not let me... not enough points.

JT
2019-10-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain

jthornton Posted at 10-4 07:40
What tablets are still available for the Phantom 3 Advanced? I'm looking at getting one that is for sale.

I’m using an iPad Air2. Flawlessly.

RedHotPoker
2019-10-4
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer

jthornton Posted at 10-4 07:40
What tablets are still available for the Phantom 3 Advanced? I'm looking at getting one that is for sale.

Still available ?

Seems you may think todays tablet will not work on the P3 ??   Not so. Most Android and iPad stuff will work.

I personally use a Nexus 7 vers 2 Android on my P3Pro ... and that will work fine on the Adv.  Refurb units plentiful on eBay. If I was buying now - I would go fo the 32Gb vers 3, but my 16Gb is excellent ... and has all the bits and bobs like GPS etc.
2019-10-4
Use props
jthornton
lvl.2

solentlife Posted at 10-4 09:31
Still available ?

Seems you may think todays tablet will not work on the P3 ??   Not so. Most Android and iPad stuff will work.

Yea, I was looking at the "official" list and everything was no longer available. Just started looking into this after finding that one for sale.

Thanks so much for your reply.

JT
2019-10-4
Use props
jthornton
lvl.2

RedHotPoker Posted at 10-4 08:41
I’m using an iPad Air2. Flawlessly.

I'm scared of anything Apple... but thanks for the reply. I've read a lot of your posts in the past two days while researching this and respect your replies.

JT
2019-10-4
Use props
jthornton
lvl.2

I just installed Go < 4 on my Samsung S7 and it seems to work fine so that makes me feel a lot better about purchasing this used Phantom 3 Advanced.

Thanks again for the replies and sorry for hijacking the thread but not enough points to start a topic.

JT
2019-10-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain

jthornton Posted at 10-4 13:50
I'm scared of anything Apple... but thanks for the reply. I've read a lot of your posts in the past two days while researching this and respect your replies.

JT

A short year or so ago, DJI & Apple joined into a fellowship.
iPads are most reliable devices, built very robust. They handle the power hungry DJI Go apps admirably.

So now, Apple stores sell DJI drones. ;-)

Get over your fears, they are without much merit.

RedHotPoker

2019-10-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain

jthornton Posted at 10-4 14:05
I just installed Go < 4 on my Samsung S7 and it seems to work fine so that makes me feel a lot better about purchasing this used Phantom 3 Advanced.

Thanks again for the replies and sorry for hijacking the thread but not enough points to start a topic.

Yes, having a device that will download the app is a first step.

Will it fly great? You’ll be the judge of that, let us know. Thanks

RedHotPoker
2019-10-4
Use props
jthornton
lvl.2

RedHotPoker Posted at 10-4 16:56
Yes, having a device that will download the app is a first step.

Will it fly great? You’ll be the judge of that, let us know. Thanks

Thanks for your replies, I'll let everyone know if it works or not.

JT
2019-10-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain

jthornton Posted at 10-4 17:25
Thanks for your replies, I'll let everyone know if it works or not.

JT

Wishing you only happy times aloft. Float free and easy. Haha

Enjoy your new drone, once you have it.
They are very dependable.

RedHotPoker

2019-10-4
Use props
jthornton
lvl.2

RedHotPoker Posted at 10-4 18:35
Wishing you only happy times aloft. Float free and easy. Haha

A bit small but the Galaxy S4 does work with the exception of the GPS is weak on the phone for some reason. I'm learning the software, the controller and the bird with it.

JT
2019-10-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain

jthornton Posted at 10-10 13:44
A bit small but the Galaxy S4 does work with the exception of the GPS is weak on the phone for some reason. I'm learning the software, the controller and the bird with it.

JT

I bought the iPad Air2 for the larger screen real state. It is big enough that all the parameters are visible at once, and when using the map view it’s awesome, to see all the detail.

RedHotPoker
2019-10-10
Use props
jthornton
lvl.2

RedHotPoker Posted at 10-10 13:52
I bought the iPad Air2 for the larger screen real state. It is big enough that all the parameters are visible at once, and when using the map view it’s awesome, to see all the detail.

Yea my iPad Air2 is on the way but in the mean time the S4 is helping me make progress.

JT
2019-10-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain

jthornton Posted at 10-10 14:15
Yea my iPad Air2 is on the way but in the mean time the S4 is helping me make progress.

JT

Go slow and keep it low. Haha

Yeah man, get plenty of practice now, then, you’ll get to extend her range once you get more adept.

RedHotPoker
2019-10-10
Use props
jthornton
lvl.2

RedHotPoker Posted at 10-10 14:20
Go slow and keep it low. Haha

Yeah man, get plenty of practice now, then, you’ll get to extend her range once you get more adept.

Well I've been up to 15' so far, but mostly trying to learn the software. I do fly all types of aircraft including helicopters by LOS only. But yea taking small steps while learning is the way to go.

JT
2019-10-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain

jthornton Posted at 10-10 14:38
Well I've been up to 15' so far, but mostly trying to learn the software. I do fly all types of aircraft including helicopters by LOS only. But yea taking small steps while learning is the way to go.

JT

I’m still in the middle of building an Align TRex 700E DFC HV. Fun.

RedHotPoker
2019-10-10
Use props
jthornton
lvl.2

RedHotPoker Posted at 10-10 14:40
I’m still in the middle of building an Align TRex 700E DFC HV. Fun.

That's a nice looking machine for sure an flybar less to boot.

JT
2019-10-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain

jthornton Posted at 10-10 15:18
That's a nice looking machine for sure an flybar less to boot.

JT

I’m at the point where I require help, from someone with experience.
As This is my very First heli Kit to assemble. It definitely needs to be done right the first time. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2019-10-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules