3 Air Units bricked after upgrading
4688 14 2019-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rocketmark
lvl.2

I've had 3 air units brick after upgrading them now. Two were upgraded on a mac, one on a pc. They're all on the same model flight controller, but not the same one (clracing f4 mini). When I first plug in the airunit I get green sync, then I can register it, and then it asks to upgrade - each time it gets to 95% upgrade, then bricks.

I'm now wondering what else is going on - I've verified that the board is delivering 9V from those pads (vtx+ and vtx-) and that it's the same voltage as delivered on my one working quad (flight controller is a cl racing f4s) --- Is their something going on with getting power from the BEC? Or that it's vbat from the 4-in-1 ESC instead of the battery wired direct to the FC like on the f4s FC?

I've sent in two of the three units to DJI for repair/replacement - there's something going on though and it's likely related to the power out of the BEC and how the air unit deals with it. I've noticed a few youtubers will wire directly to the battery pads in order to get it to sync - that seems risky and defeats the purpose of what the board is doing for you.

2019-10-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi rocketmark, sorry for the inconvenience caused. May I have your case number of the two returned units? We'll keep following up.
2019-10-2
Use props
rocketmark
lvl.2

DJI Susan Posted at 10-2 17:12
Hi rocketmark, sorry for the inconvenience caused. May I have your case number of the two returned units? We'll keep following up.

I PM'd you the case #s. One of them doesn't appear to be linked to my account - can you help get it linked?
2019-10-4
Use props
silpheedx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11936 ft

I burnt up my first one then I switch to the "Pololu 9V Step-Up/Step Down Voltage Regulator" and everything is peachy now. I'm a lunk head so I don't know if that helps at all. Best of luck.
2019-10-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

rocketmark Posted at 10-4 08:31
I PM'd you the case #s. One of them doesn't appear to be linked to my account - can you help get it linked?

Received with thanks! It seems that both units are on the way, we'll keep an eye on it. As for the linking to your account, may I know where did you check it?
2019-10-4
Use props
rocketmark
lvl.2

DJI Susan Posted at 10-4 20:20
Received with thanks! It seems that both units are on the way, we'll keep an eye on it. As for the linking to your account, may I know where did you check it?

When I go to this link: https://repair.dji.com/mycase/index -- I only see one of the cases.
2019-10-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

rocketmark Posted at 10-5 08:34
When I go to this link: https://repair.dji.com/mycase/index -- I only see one of the cases.

Received with thanks! We'll check the exact status with the team and keep you updated.
2019-10-5
Use props
B-RadFPV
lvl.1

I too had issue with video after initial activation and linking. I believe many FCs are unable to provide proper current to power the Air Unit. Yours may not be bricked.

What size LIPO 4/5/6S?
What is the power source for the Air Unit?
What is the output voltage? Max output amperage?
What FC are you using?
Are you getting a green LED on your Air Unit?

See thread Air Unit not compatible wiith many FCs? https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=199664
2019-10-8
Use props
rocketmark
lvl.2

It's an issue with the update - what happens is when I first plug it into the FC (clracing f4 mini - provides 9v output, verified with multimeter) I get green link light and the computer recognizes it. When you initiate the upgrade it fails at 95%. On my mac it crashes the computer.

The one FC that it works with for me, no problem, is the CLracing f4s -- it's the same flight controller as the f4 mini, just larger size and the battery connects direct to the FC, and not indirect via 4in1 esc. Same battery, etc...

Since I get green at first, and it fails during update and never returns, it says to me it bricked and it's an update issue. It's possible it's looking for some specific voltage or timing from the FC and it fails when it doesn't, but that again feels like a software issue that they've done to themselves.
2019-10-8
Use props
rocketmark
lvl.2

It's an issue with the update - what happens is when I first plug it into the FC (clracing f4 mini - provides 9v output, verified with multimeter) I get green link light and the computer recognizes it. When you initiate the upgrade it fails at 95%. On my mac it crashes the computer.

The one FC that it works with for me, no problem, is the CLracing f4s -- it's the same flight controller as the f4 mini, just larger size and the battery connects direct to the FC, and not indirect via 4in1 esc. Same battery, etc...

Since I get green at first, and it fails during update and never returns, it says to me it bricked and it's an update issue. It's possible it's looking for some specific voltage or timing from the FC and it fails when it doesn't, but that again feels like a software issue that they've done to themselves.
2019-10-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

rocketmark Posted at 10-5 08:34
When I go to this link: https://repair.dji.com/mycase/index -- I only see one of the cases.

Hi rocketmark, the two cases should be available in your account now, you may check later, thanks!
2019-10-9
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>

You shouldn't be firmware upgrading through a broken PC.
2019-10-9
Use props
djiuser_lliH9EF4uXI1
lvl.1

United States

Dude Im having  the same exact issue right now. Have you found a way to fix it without returning the air unit?
2019-10-21
Use props
djiuser_lliH9EF4uXI1
lvl.1

United States

I found out the issue! The air unit was only connected to a 5v pad instead of vbat which is 16v or whatever you have on your battery.
2019-10-21
Use props
halitic
lvl.1

Germany

djiuser_lliH9EF4uXI1 Posted at 2019-10-21 09:20
I found out the issue! The air unit was only connected to a 5v pad instead of vbat which is 16v or whatever you have on your battery.

thank you so much! Had the exact same issue here with my 5th Air Unit (but a different FC) and had wired the airunit to 5v instead of 9v
now it works
2020-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules