Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Active Tracking just got crushed! Comparison with Skydio 2 drone
123Next >
10036 104 2019-10-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Originalas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204222 ft
  • >>>

Skydio 2 drone makes DJI active track look really bad... and even camera quality is so outdated.

With new drones using AI to fix exposure and colors and DJI just shooting as is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO_QzslEjk0

2019-10-4
Use props
Originalas
Second Officer
  • >>>

Correct video link

Update 2020: DJI Active Track 3.0 crushes Skydio... superior tracking and camera AI.

2019-10-4
Use props
Neo Supreme
First Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft

Nice video.  I understand that it's supposed to be using AI for better obstacle avoidance.  It also uses a 'beacon' so it can follow you better.  The specs aren't bad either.  I do want to see much more footage of this thing being put to the test though, as it's way too early to be impressed.  I know Active Track can definitely be better, but I know how to work with it usually.
2019-10-4
Use props
ssylca44
Captain
Flight distance : 434721 ft

We will have to wait for actual user's reviews
2019-10-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>

Because of all the cameras on board it is always going to be better than dji drones for active track, it’s a bit early to say if this drone will do any damage to dji, Skydio 1was a flop and Skydio 2 has many of the same features, while you were just fooled by its video recording capabilities it operates the same as your phone, you have no control of how you edit your footage it’s already done for you just like your phone camera is 12mp mavic 2 20mp and if they had compared normal footage from M2 instead of some unfinished log footage you would have seen a much better comparison.
With Skydio1 distance was 1km but many users complained it couldn’t get half this distance and if they haven’t corrected this with Skydio2 then it’s likely you will be able to fly more than 1k.
I think with sports like mountain bike jogging etc it has a market but unless it starts to improve its main  camera it will never compete with the photography world.
This drone is just covered with sensors I’m certain that dji would have no problem making similar, but Skydio is quirky and very limited market, and even then it needs to be drastically improved on its first attempt .
2019-10-4
Use props
Originalas
Second Officer
  • >>>

Yes, DJI will come on top as a regular RC drone. Just better remote controls, specs and etc.

Though "selfie tracking" might be the most important feature for average home consumer. Basically all they want just family pics/videos done by a drone. And this totally wins in this category.

But more importantly even real estate photography, wedding videos.. Skydio may just better option for an avarage photographer who just wants some extra angles and not to become an aspiring pilot. Like they need to with the DJI and all regular drones now.

This looks like a fair real world test

2019-10-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

Originalas Posted at 10-4 10:15
Yes, DJI will come on top as a regular RC drone. Just better remote controls, specs and etc.

Though "selfie tracking" might be the most important feature for average home consumer. Basically all they want just family pics/videos done by a drone. And this totally wins in this category.

I think you miss the point, we have little or no proof this is any good skydio1 promised the same and it flopped, don’t believe all the hype get real users opinions first.
Other thing to bare in mind dji drones are full of automatic features but I see very very few people using them, yes they appeal to people but their appeal is short lived .
2019-10-4
Use props
MrTitan
First Officer
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 10-4 10:00
Because of all the cameras on board it is always going to be better than dji drones for active track, it’s a bit early to say if this drone will do any damage to dji, Skydio 1was a flop and Skydio 2 has many of the same features, while you were just fooled by its video recording capabilities it operates the same as your phone, you have no control of how you edit your footage it’s already done for you just like your phone camera is 12mp mavic 2 20mp and if they had compared normal footage from M2 instead of some unfinished log footage you would have seen a much better comparison.
With Skydio1 distance was 1km but many users complained it couldn’t get half this distance and if they haven’t corrected this with Skydio2 then it’s likely you will be able to fly more than 1k.
I think with sports like mountain bike jogging etc it has a market but unless it starts to improve its main  camera it will never compete with the photography world.

I’m thinking along the same lines. It’s too early to know how good various aspects of the Skydio 2 are going to be.

If active track is as impressive in the real world as it appears in videos then the drone will probably be great for outdoor activity enthusiasts who just want video of their pursuits without the need to operate a controller. But I’m sceptical how good the footage will be when the AI is responsible for framing the constantly moving subject in the always moving shot. And how good will the drone really be when paired with a controller and used as a serious photography tool? I hope it’s amazing, but based on price and other factors I wait to be convinced.  Still, I’m looking forward to finding out, and competition is a good thing for consumers.
2019-10-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

MrTitan Posted at 10-4 15:47
I’m thinking along the same lines. It’s too early to know how good various aspects of the Skydio 2 are going to be.

If active track is as impressive in the real world as it appears in videos then the drone will probably be great for outdoor activity enthusiasts who just want video of their pursuits without the need to operate a controller. But I’m sceptical how good the footage will be when the AI is responsible for framing the constantly moving subject in the always moving shot. And how good will the drone really be when paired with a controller and used as a serious photography tool? I hope it’s amazing, but based on price and other factors I wait to be convinced.  Still, I’m looking forward to finding out, and competition is a good thing for consumers.

I agree a bit to early yet, best reviews come from punters who pay the bucks and can give an honest review .
2019-10-5
Use props
fans48f0c1a5
Captain
Flight distance : 2278898 ft

Yea video looks good but flying 3ft above people in a public park in and out of trees, fencing etc is guaranteed to get banned. Still it does show that sensors and dealing with all that amount of data on drones are improving all the time. Having super Active tracking is not why I bought my m2p with its small amount of faults.
2019-10-5
Use props
flyingfun
First Officer
Flight distance : 2551998 ft
  • >>>

Because of all the cameras on board it is always going to be better than dji drones for active track, it’s a bit early to say if this drone will do any damage to dji, Skydio 1was a flop and Skydio 2 has many of the same features, while you were just fooled by its video recording capabilities it operates the same as your phone, you have no control of how you edit your footage it’s already done for you just like your phone camera is 12mp mavic 2 20mp and if they had compared normal footage from M2 instead of some unfinished log footage you would have seen a much better comparison.

i strongly disagree that skydio r1 was a flop ,  the pricepoint was high but it is a great drone .
and produces great footage a scenes that cant't be done on a m2 .
the distance is not a issue since the drone stays close to the user, as you mention a selfie drone.
most of the users wont color correct there videos so in my opinion it's a fair comparision.
but i agree in the right hands the mavic will probably make the best picture after corection and has more possibilties to adjust the picture.
An example what the skydio can do i tried this with a mavic also...

2019-10-5
Use props
izotop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388763 ft

2019-10-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

flyingfun Posted at 10-5 13:02
i strongly disagree that skydio r1 was a flop ,  the pricepoint was high but it is a great drone .
the distance is not a issue since the drone stays close to the user, as you mention a selfie drone.

Skydio 1 offered 1 mile distance lucky if you could get 500 metres, I think your misunderstanding what I’m saying I agree Skydio is a one trick pony but Skydio is putting itself up as serious competition to M2P , First drone was overpriced for what is basically a selfie drone, now skydio2 at half the price reckons it's better than skydio1 I wonder how owners of skydio1 feel now, but let's wait and see, the fact that very few skydio1 were sold clearly means it was a flop and a very badly supported flop .
2019-10-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

flyingfun Posted at 10-5 13:02

BTW the footage in that video, if that footage was manually done you would basically dump it if there were continued off line movements by the drone yes sensors worked but with a stutter I believe this footage can be obtained easily better manually.
If the Skydio continually stops and stutters because of obstacles then footage is going to be stuttered so of very little use .
Yes it's obvious it's a lot harder to crash but what good is that, the vast majority of people flying manually don't crash either, Skydio is great if you WANT A DRONE BUT DONT WANT TO FLY A DRONE .
2019-10-5
Use props
flyingfun
First Officer
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 10-5 14:37
Skydio 1 offered 1 mile distance lucky if you could get 500 metres, I think your misunderstanding what I’m saying I agree Skydio is a one trick pony but Skydio is putting itself up as serious competition to M2P , First drone was overpriced for what is basically a selfie drone, now skydio2 at half the price reckons it's better than skydio1 I wonder how owners of skydio1 feel now, but let's wait and see, the fact that very few skydio1 were sold clearly means it was a flop and a very badly supported flop .

as you can imagine i ‘m a r1 owner and very pleased with the device.
i’m offered a considerable discount  the skydio 2 and ordered one , a good deal i think.
so if you need first hand experience you can contact me in a few weeks .
2019-10-5
Use props
flyingfun
First Officer
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 10-5 14:42
BTW the footage in that video, if that footage was manually done you would basically dump it if there were continued off line movements by the drone yes sensors worked but with a stutter I believe this footage can be obtained easily better manually.
If the Skydio continually stops and stutters because of obstacles then footage is going to be stuttered so of very little use .
Yes it's obvious it's a lot harder to crash but what good is that, the vast majority of people flying manually don't crash either, Skydio is great if you WANT A DRONE BUT DONT WANT TO FLY A DRONE .

mavic active track is basicly useless with a bulky controller in your hand spoils the entire  picture.
sure manually  can be better but that’s not the point we are talking about active track.
2019-10-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

flyingfun Posted at 10-5 21:26
mavic active track is basicly useless with a bulky controller in your hand spoils the entire  picture.
sure manually  can be better but that’s not the point we are talking about active track.

I didn’t get M2P or any other drone just to film myself, active track can of course be used to film a lot more than oneself, I do think for filming yourself cycling and running if that’s what you want then Skydio may be the choice, but as you know to get the most out of your new Skydio 2 you will need to buy remotes costing a further $300 , so price creeping up all the time .
I’m certain you will enjoy the new Skydio I do hope it’s successful and will wait now until I see what real users have to say about it .
2019-10-6
Use props
flyingfun
First Officer
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 10-6 01:05
I didn’t get M2P or any other drone just to film myself, active track can of course be used to film a lot more than oneself, I do think for filming yourself cycling and running if that’s what you want then Skydio may be the choice, but as you know to get the most out of your new Skydio 2 you will need to buy remotes costing a further $300 , so price creeping up all the time .
I’m certain you will enjoy the new Skydio I do hope it’s successful and will wait now until I see what real users have to say about it .

a mavic pro drone set you back USD $1,729  (nearly the price of my r1) a skydio 2 999$ and 149$ for the rebranded parrot controller ... since you wont use active track you don,t need the other controller.
pricewise there on the spot i think.
quality if it is the same as my r1 will be very good but time will tell.
2019-10-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 10-4 10:51
I think you miss the point, we have little or no proof this is any good skydio1 promised the same and it flopped, don’t believe all the hype get real users opinions first.
Other thing to bare in mind dji drones are full of automatic features but I see very very few people using them, yes they appeal to people but their appeal is short lived .

R1 flopped cuz it was $2500 and difficult to obtain. only a couple places total in the world where you could buy an R1, mostly their own website.

as for the beacon, the beacon allows for the skydio break visual tracking for extended period of time as well as give basic functionality without ude of the app like launching and follow mode initiation.  also it is not bounded by limited range of wifi baked into our phones.

in terms of the technology, the R1 didn't fail, it is still light years ahead of anything DJI has to offer for tracking and avoidance systems.  their was 4 main issues i personally had with the R1.  

1. price, @ $2500, it is nearly unattainable for any real market.   its more or less fixed @ $1000 it is much more obtainable..  maybe beyond avg selfie drone market pricing but its definitely deserving of premium price for its tech.

2. Camera quality wasn't as good from the forward follow camera. this appears to also been fixed using something similar to GOPro's Hypersmooth technology (AI based stabilization) + 2 axis gimbal.   i have experience with Hypersmooth 1.0 on my go-pro and its pretty amazing.. so im  expecting better results, maybe even better than hypersmooth 2,0 + Boost mode on new go-pros since it also has a small gimbal as well as AI based stablization

3. the battery life was on par with the DJI spark, this we still need to see tests for, however it is lighter body with a similarly sized compacity battery, so likely to get better battery life.  

4. and the mobile App was a bit of a mess.  for flying it.. sure they made it easy but they also made it easy for users to mess it up.    haven't seen any new app updates or any new app UI for R2 but i atleast hope they have on screen lock button to prevent accidental inputs and mode changes.
2019-10-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

flyingfun Posted at 10-6 07:22
a mavic pro drone set you back USD $1,729  (nearly the price of my r1) a skydio 2 999$ and 149$ for the rebranded parrot controller ... since you wont use active track you don,t need the other controller.
pricewise there on the spot i think.
quality if it is the same as my r1 will be very good but time will tell.

The only thing it has going for it is AT so you need both remotes and if you don’t have them this drone flies max altitude 16 metres, this drone is not much better than a mavic air apart from extra sensors so with RC it’s $400 more expensive than a mavic Air combo at 899 . And I think this is where this drone will sit in the market .
2019-10-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 10-6 09:11
R1 flopped cuz it was $2500 and difficult to obtain. only a couple places total in the world where you could buy an R1, mostly their own website.

as for the beacon, the beacon allows for the skydio break visual tracking for extended period of time as well as give basic functionality without ude of the app like launching and follow mode initiation.  also it is not bounded by limited range of wifi baked into our phones.

I think this will become an action drone but an expensive one, it has plenty of good new tech I’m not convinced that the camera is any better than drones like P4 mavic pro or mavic air, it’s going to have great active track because of so many sensors, but after that we will have to wait and see, I don’t need a drone to follow me all the time some people do .
2019-10-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 10-6 09:36
I think this will become an action drone but an expensive one, it has plenty of good new tech I’m not convinced that the camera is any better than drones like P4 mavic pro or mavic air, it’s going to have great active track because of so many sensors, but after that we will have to wait and see, I don’t need a drone to follow me all the time some people do .

the camera we have to wait and see, i am sure they  arent as good as M2P or P4P but maybe as good as MPP or MA which for a selfie focused drone is pretty good
2019-10-6
Use props
flyingfun
First Officer
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 10-6 09:25
The only thing it has going for it is AT so you need both remotes and if you don’t have them this drone flies max altitude 16 metres, this drone is not much better than a mavic air apart from extra sensors so with RC it’s $400 more expensive than a mavic Air combo at 899 . And I think this is where this drone will sit in the market .

skydio 2

Sony's IMX577

mavic air

Sony IMX477

both 12,3 mega pixel but clearly skydio has a evolution but less then 20 mpixels of the mavic pro 2 but more pixels doesnt mean better pictures ...  noise...  mp2 with a hasselblat lens will potentially have the edge, so in between the mavic air and mp2 should be more appropriate...
2019-10-6
Use props
ssylca44
Captain
Flight distance : 434721 ft

Agreed, but Skydio 2 lacks in manual control over Mavic 2
2019-10-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

flyingfun Posted at 10-6 13:11
skydio 2

Sony's IMX577

Mavic air is two years old, cmon it will hardly have the same tech, in fact Skydio 1 at 2.5k doesn’t have the same tech.
Better pictures, give a pro a 12mp camera and a 20mp camera and ask him which one he is likely to get the better photograph from and he will always only pick the 20mp and yes more mp will give you the opportunity to create better pictures always , it doesn’t always get the best results but that’s the photographers fault .

I’m not knocking the Skydio but comparing it to what is djis equivalent mavic air and yes it has some better tech even the camera and 60fps is great but it’s $400 more expensive than the Air combo and if you total bag extra batteries charger it will probably run to $1600 which makes it more expensive than a M2Z combo .
2019-10-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 10-6 14:29
Mavic air is two years old, cmon it will hardly have the same tech, in fact Skydio 1 at 2.5k doesn’t have the same tech.
Better pictures, give a pro a 12mp camera and a 20mp camera and ask him which one he is likely to get the better photograph from and he will always only pick the 20mp and yes more mp will give you the opportunity to create better pictures always , it doesn’t always get the best results but that’s the photographers fault .

actually raw MP isn't the only thing, a lot more in the way.  optics are more important than raw MP count.  then there is also the protog themselves.. i'm sure a protog can capture much better material with a mavic air to show off then i can with a mavic 2 pro.. knowing your stuff is way up that list.  i imagine would surprise you to know there are people who professionally shoot for a living that pitted iPhone vs red cameras on youtube and had even me conflicted.. the reason comes down to them knowing their stuff.  

good glass between the world and the sensor matters more then 12 vs 20mp.  bad optics can limit your 12 or 20MP and hold them back, i mean more then lens distortion aberration, vignetting, etc etc, but also t stops (effective light transmission). you be amazed how much light glass can actually block out.  one reason specialized glass comes into play which has different chemical makeups and cost a lot more. coatings cut down on refraction and arbitration but the material of the glass can pass more light.   a $1000 lens costs $1000 not just because they can get way with that market, but also because a lot of times its extremely precise piece of tech, making that glass and grading it knowing most wont qualify and building it many times its partially or fully hand built.

good image signal processing is also key if your image signal processing has fundamental flaws like Mavic Air's "color eating" bug for example can really limit it... if processing engine can't keep up with the dynamic range or information then more MP wont help.

packaging.. they can probably package 100mp into a sensor this size, but wouldn't function because it would block most if not all of the light the pixels would be too small to really gather much light.  also there is the issue of crosstalk, packing that many ultra sensitive "pixels" together they are bound to crosstalk.. in fact that's one major place where image noise comes from when pushing up ISO, ISO is sensitivity and more sensitive the more its picking up random electrical noises from neighboring "pixels."

but all that being said.. Skydio isn't targeting the same market as DJI is with the Mavic 2 or the Mavic air so much.. infact looking at DJi's marketing material, the spark as what they are targeting, the selfie drone market... sji has howevr made biggest leap with aviodance systems with the mavic 2 series and so thats what Skydio, most fairly is comparing to since spark has very limited range of aviodance.
2019-10-6
Use props
*DM*
First Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft

I think it has great promise for many casual users and some action pro's too.

Price seems spot on.

Looking forward to some more reviews.

Best (only?) news in an otherwise stagnant market.
2019-10-7
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>

*DM* Posted at 10-7 01:10
I think it has great promise for many casual users and some action pro's too.

Price seems spot on.

very stagnant.   i hope dji at least gives us mavic 2 owners active track 3.0 since 3.0 seems to run via smart device for extra computing grunt and has been updated for use on a 2018 product (ronin S) ..so it appears possible.

from what i have heard about activetrack 3,0 vs 2.0 is that 3.0 is better at figuring out "noisy" situations  such as a lot of foliage and things between you and the camera visually. it is also supposedly capable of predicting based on current motion vector so it can probably be implemented on drones to avoid sooner or line itself up better instead of being so reactive and sudden in its movement.
2019-10-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 10-6 16:49
actually raw MP isn't the only thing, a lot more in the way.  optics are more important than raw MP count.  then there is also the protog themselves.. i'm sure a protog can capture much better material with a mavic air to show off then i can with a mavic 2 pro.. knowing your stuff is way up that list.  i imagine would surprise you to know there are people who professionally shoot for a living that pitted iPhone vs red cameras on youtube and had even me conflicted.. the reason comes down to them knowing their stuff.  

Your problem is your making the ridiculous assumption that the 20mp camera/lens is sh#t, try comparing like with like and then tell us it’s better to have 12mp is better than 20mp, all your saying is the 20mp camera has to be sh#t for the 12mp camera to be better.
If I have a Fuji camera at 12mp and new Fuji model comes out with 20mp it is almost certain that the 20mp camera will be capable of producing better pictures.
2019-10-7
Use props
flyingfun
First Officer
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 10-7 01:53
Your problem is your making the ridiculous assumption that the 20mp camera/lens is sh#t, try comparing like with like and then tell us it’s better to have 12mp is better than 20mp, all your saying is the 20mp camera has to be sh#t for the 12mp camera to be better.
If I have a Fuji camera at 12mp and new Fuji model comes out with 20mp it is almost certain that the 20mp camera will be capable of producing better pictures.

no the only point that he is making is that more pixels without a good lens is worthless .
2019-10-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

flyingfun Posted at 10-7 02:33
no the only point that he is making is that more pixels without a good lens is worthless .

Exactly my point, we already know the quality of the dji lens/camera we have no clue except hype on the skydio2 .
2019-10-7
Use props
Neo Supreme
First Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft

Well, as stated, it's way too early to be impressed.  If the Skydio 2 performs as it should, there is definitely a market for it and any other future improvements for Active Track and similar technologies.  People are waiting for something like this to be fine tuned, it's just not totally here yet.
2019-10-7
Use props
fans4287815f
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14196 ft

Well I came on here to hear what you guys had to say about it, wasn't disappointed ;)

I've barely started to use my Mavic Air, in fact every single time I've tried to fly I've had to update firmware and so given up on the flight. I believe all 3 batteries are updated now so my next flight might be more than pop up, spin round and back down again, which is all its ever done so far. Fact is, despite having only just purchased my Air, is this Skydio thing is as good as it looks, then yes, the moment it's available outside of the USA I'll get one.

I DO want something that can track my Toyota Hilux and show off the scenery I drive through here in Borneo, I DO want something that can at least try to keep up with my KLX250 (see avatar) off-road. I DO go hiking in the mountains and jungles, and so do want something that can capture the general scenery, without requiring 20 or 30 minutes of intense concentration, setting up (and updating firmware, no fly zones etc).

I see this as basically a flying Gopro action camera, that won't capture the whole ride/drive/fishing trip/hike etc but can easily capture some highlights. Most of the time that's all I need, and my Mavic Air doesn't have the long range lightbridge or Occusync or whatever it's called now anyway, plus laws about being in line of sight make this a very useful flying camera. Again, presuming it's as good as it looks.

I disagree with the poster that said such close-up flying would be banned. Quite the opposite, I see this as being the way drones will go in the future. Long range, out of sight, high altitude remote piloting? No, already banned or restricted in many places. A faithful flying puppy that follows you around, avoiding people and property while sticking close to you? What's not to like?

You're arguably more dangerous on a bike or skateboard than a drone that can easily avoid people, even flying straight up vertical if needed.

It wasn't that long ago I moaned a bit on here about the size and bulk of my Phantom, wishing there was something as good but smaller. We now have a bunch of small drones.

My current complaint? Well the usual "Where's the weatherproofing? I wanna take this outside!" aspect, but also the "Great, lots of modes and stuff, but I don't really have the time or patience for learning all this and the updating and updating thing, and the updating.. and re-learning what I forgot already, because of the updating thing..."

Something I can just turn on, turn on the beacon and say "Follow me, to the left" and just go?

Yeah.

I don't care too much what company makes it.
2019-10-8
Use props
Klaus W.
Captain
Flight distance : 118366 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 10-7 04:08
Exactly my point, we already know the quality of the dji lens/camera we have no clue except hype on the skydio2 .

Maybe this helps: Drone Benchmark Report  by NomiCam
2019-10-8
Use props
Sunstone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 960732 ft

TBH, isnt the Skydio aimed at a different market? slightly. Its awesome for 'follow me' scenarios but as someone more into photography and filmography Id rather have the M2P and its near(ish) 30 min flight time. Love what Skydio have done and you can bet that that kind of AI tracking will be the norm in all moderately costed drones.
DJI was / is always there to be bettered by competitors which means we're all going to benefit in the long run. Yeeehaaa to that!
2019-10-8
Use props
Maxi3D
Captain
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>

Because of all the cameras on board it is always going to be better than dji drones for active track, it’s a bit early to say if this drone will do any damage to dji, Skydio 1was a flop and Skydio 2 has many of the same features, while you were just fooled by its video recording capabilities it operates the same as your phone, you have no control of how you edit your footage it’s already done for you just like your phone camera is 12mp mavic 2 20mp and if they had compared normal footage from M2 instead of some unfinished log footage you would have seen a much better comparison.

I would have to disagree with you on this. Skydio does comes with remote controller and I think it will fly much better than any DJI's current stocks with its AI system. You tell it where to go, and it will go there without crashing. This allows me to focus on shooting and less on flying. It will also lessen the knot in my stomach every damn time that I fly.
2019-10-8
Use props
Maxi3D
Captain
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 10-4 10:51

I don't think Skydio R1 flopped. It's because the R1 that we get the Skydio 2. If it was to flop and there will be no Skydio 2.
2019-10-8
Use props
Maxi3D
Captain
  • >>>

MrTitan Posted at 10-4 15:47

If active track is as impressive in the real world as it appears in videos then the drone will probably be great for outdoor activity enthusiasts who just want video of their pursuits without the need to operate a controller. But I’m sceptical how good the footage will be when the AI is responsible for framing the constantly moving subject in the always moving shot. And how good will the drone really be when paired with a controller and used as a serious photography tool? I hope it’s amazing, but based on price and other factors I wait to be convinced.  Still, I’m looking forward to finding out, and competition is a good thing for consumers.

It does comes with a remote controller.
2019-10-8
Use props
Maxi3D
Captain
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 10-5 01:46
I agree a bit to early yet, best reviews come from punters who pay the bucks and can give an honest review .

I wonder did Mavic Pro ever did gotten a good review when it was first released.
2019-10-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

Maxi3D Posted at 10-8 10:53
I would have to disagree with you on this. Skydio does comes with remote controller and I think it will fly much better than any DJI's current stocks with its AI system. You tell it where to go, and it will go there without crashing. This allows me to focus on shooting and less on flying. It will also lessen the knot in my stomach every damn time that I fly.

You must purchase RC separate $150 and receiver $150 both plus tax, so it doesn’t come with a RC, you will have noticed in all the advertising it mentions this but fails to mention that that without RC you can only fly 50 metres at max altitude 5 metres.
Apart from filming yourself it will be illegal to film anyone at this height, it will be illegal to fly in any built up areas without RC.

I think S1 was a flop, very few sales (flop) biggest problem it kept getting stuck behind trees, it was to big to bring anywhere, battery time , camera was no good, plus points for it, it tracked great in open areas.

The new S2 is no better than a mavic air apart from active tracking, the total cost of a S2 will be $1300 plus tax so it costs more than $500 more than a mavic Air combo which comes with a 3 batteries and a multi charger, in order to charge battery on an S2 you will first have to put it on to the craft and charge it, crazy stuff no multi charger for a craft that can only fly for probably less than 20 minutes.

I’m just saying it’s way over priced it’s basically a one trick pony, so yes it has better active track than any other craft out there and that’s where it begins and ends .
2019-10-8
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules