Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Active Tracking just got crushed! Comparison with Skydio 2 drone
10037 104 2019-10-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_IvUne5SWYNyM
lvl.1

United States

I'm just getting into the drone scene and I had reserved a Skydio 2 unit but in talking with their support staff and getting more information, I ended up cancelling my reservation and ordering a Mavic 2 Pro. My biggest issue with the Skydio 2 is that if the drone deems the light level is too low for it to utilize it's obstacle avoidance sensors/tech it simply won't take off, no options for overriding it.

Support did say they were looking to add a night flight option for the enterprise level package, but there is no telling how much that will run. Their professional package was 2500 which was the Skydio 2, a hard case, the controller, and 3 batteries I believe.

Cost and usability wise, the Mavic 2 Pro was just the better buy for me, I got a ton of stuff for 2500 (M2P, 4 batteries, charging hub, backpack, smart controller, lenses, SD cards, etc...) and I can fly at night if I so choose (just have to be super vigilant and careful). I can't wait for it to come in so I can begin learning and flying it! I'm so excited!
2019-10-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_IvUne5SWYNyM Posted at 10-22 16:11
I'm just getting into the drone scene and I had reserved a Skydio 2 unit but in talking with their support staff and getting more information, I ended up cancelling my reservation and ordering a Mavic 2 Pro. My biggest issue with the Skydio 2 is that if the drone deems the light level is too low for it to utilize it's obstacle avoidance sensors/tech it simply won't take off, no options for overriding it.

Support did say they were looking to add a night flight option for the enterprise level package, but there is no telling how much that will run. Their professional package was 2500 which was the Skydio 2, a hard case, the controller, and 3 batteries I believe.

hahahaha So no night time flying with the Skydio2 - useless.
2019-10-22
Use props
Riddler 305
First Officer
Flight distance : 43471 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had this exact same discussion with Skydio yesterday, and I am cancelling my order as well. I enjoy early morning and late evening flying, and the Skydio will not work if there is insufficient light or complete darkness. When I asked about what constituted a "low light" situation, they were not able to give a precise answer. They just explained that it is not designed to operate in low light environments. There is also no way at present to disable the OA system on this craft.

It will be very interesting to see how this bird performs when it gets into the field with real users.
2019-10-23
Use props
Moni Johnson
Captain
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 10-4 10:51
I think you miss the point, we have little or no proof this is any good skydio1 promised the same and it flopped, don’t believe all the hype get real users opinions first.
Other thing to bare in mind dji drones are full of automatic features but I see very very few people using them, yes they appeal to people but their appeal is short lived .

Hey, hallmark007! Long time not talk. I believe the Skydio R1 flopped for a few reasons they could overcome with the Skydio 2.

• Entry price point at $2500 was too high for the masses, even too high for geeks like me.
• Video quality sucked. They came in with a product that had worse video quality than many of the competitors' products at a lower price point.
• No/lousy manual control options. Yes, the autonomy was great but what if I want to fly my Skydio like I've been flying me DJI drones for years? Couldn't do it.

For me, I would much rather get my hands on a new DJI product next year but for my needs, the Skydio 2 MIGHT be a better fit. That whole beacon tracking options WITH Skydio's obstacle avoidance is a great selling point (if it delivers). The improvement in video quality would seal the deal.
2019-10-23
Use props
Moni Johnson
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 10-8 10:56
I don't think Skydio R1 flopped. It's because the R1 that we get the Skydio 2. If it was to flop and there will be no Skydio 2.

Not necessarily true. The Karma flopped and we still got the second version of it (which also flopped). Of course, GoPro's pockets are probably a lot deeper than Skydio's.
2019-10-23
Use props
Moni Johnson
Captain
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 10-6 09:11
R1 flopped cuz it was $2500 and difficult to obtain. only a couple places total in the world where you could buy an R1, mostly their own website.

as for the beacon, the beacon allows for the skydio break visual tracking for extended period of time as well as give basic functionality without ude of the app like launching and follow mode initiation.  also it is not bounded by limited range of wifi baked into our phones.

Crap! I just typed essentially the same thing you did. I should have read the whole thread first. SMH
2019-10-23
Use props
flyingfun
First Officer
Flight distance : 2551998 ft
  • >>>
Luxembourg

Moni Johnson Posted at 10-23 07:09
Not necessarily true. The Karma flopped and we still got the second version of it (which also flopped). Of course, GoPro's pockets are probably a lot deeper than Skydio's.

There was no second version of the karma gopro fixed the first one ....
it was exactly the same drone.
2019-10-23
Use props
flyingfun
First Officer
Flight distance : 2551998 ft
  • >>>
Luxembourg

Riddler 305 Posted at 10-23 05:48
I had this exact same discussion with Skydio yesterday, and I am cancelling my order as well. I enjoy early morning and late evening flying, and the Skydio will not work if there is insufficient light or complete darkness. When I asked about what constituted a "low light" situation, they were not able to give a precise answer. They just explained that it is not designed to operate in low light environments. There is also no way at present to disable the OA system on this craft.

It will be very interesting to see how this bird performs when it gets into the field with real users.

A agree in low light conditions not possible to fly this is about the lowest that I managed to fly:

2019-10-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

flyingfun Posted at 10-23 08:00
A agree in low light conditions not possible to fly this is about the lowest that I managed to fly:

https://youtu.be/tms8lxva1Yg

The tracking is exceptional and I would expect this, but in the filming I’ve noticed it almost never centres the subject so trying to watch the video seems a bit odd, it also moves the subject to one side or another when it sees and avoids obstacles, I’m not sure of the benefit except to say for complete personal use, jogging biking hiking, it would be completely illegal to fly that close to third parties and I suspect even if they give permission you might be treading on dangerous ground.
I think this drone may meet the needs of some very small action video/film makers, but I would imagine it would become pretty boring filiming yourself all the time and with so much choice of portable drones out there I would think the value of skydio is not exactly what we think .
Thanks for posting the video.
2019-10-23
Use props
Francis
Captain
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

thanks for sharing
2019-10-23
Use props
SupCarlos
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454193 ft
  • >>>
United States

Skydio looks really cool and could really steal some market share, especially fi they  offer better service and customer support, DJI needs to learn how to treat customers..
2019-10-23
Use props
parkgt214
First Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

Anyone cancelling out of the first batch is missing a chance to make a profit!
2019-10-23
Use props
VisualeyesAerial
Captain
Flight distance : 5194856 ft
  • >>>
United States

All Skydio needs to do now after their initial launch is work on portability and making their next UAV foldable/compact!  This is where the Mavic series crush EVERYONE!
2019-10-23
Use props
parkgt214
First Officer
United States

VisualeyesAerial Posted at 10-23 14:19
All Skydio needs to do now after their initial launch is work on portability and making their next UAV foldable/compact!  This is where the Mavic series crush EVERYONE!

They already decided for technical reasons not to make it foldable.  I doubt many will make the decision not to buy based on a lack of portability.  All one has to do is stick it in a backpack with other gear and go.
2019-10-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

VisualeyesAerial Posted at 10-23 14:19
All Skydio needs to do now after their initial launch is work on portability and making their next UAV foldable/compact!  This is where the Mavic series crush EVERYONE!

I fully agree, this drone is based a lot on being an action cam , people involved in creating action very often travel, this is not something you just throw into a backpack, yes bare unit with one battery fits into a compact box but battery is pretty big and limited time so your gonna need minimum 2 extra batteries plus multi charger more space needed for what is a pretty big RC all of this will fit into a backpack with no room for anything else.
This is not a portable drone by a long shot, there are much more portable drones that do quite a lot more than this drone that for most will be more suitable and much better value.
I think that many will get fed up very quickly with this drone and they certainly won’t want to bring this traveling when there is much better travel drones out there .
2019-10-23
Use props
FlyBa2018
Second Officer
Hong Kong

flyingfun Posted at 10-22 07:00
Do you have the url ???

2019-10-23
Use props
Moni Johnson
Captain
  • >>>
United States

flyingfun Posted at 10-23 07:53
There was no second version of the karma gopro fixed the first one ....
it was exactly the same drone.
Ah. Then the same drone flopped twice. Two releases. Same result. And, if it was fixed, it wasn't exactly the same. But tomato, tomato, I suppose.
2019-10-23
Use props
VisualeyesAerial
Captain
Flight distance : 5194856 ft
  • >>>
United States

parkgt214 Posted at 10-23 15:08
They already decided for technical reasons not to make it foldable.  I doubt many will make the decision not to buy based on a lack of portability.  All one has to do is stick it in a backpack with other gear and go.

This is ridiculous.  That's EXACTLY why I bought a Mavic over a Phantom....because I wanted the portability.  When traveling, especially on airplanes, I don't want a cumbersome backpack.  People want smaller craft.
2019-10-24
Use props
parkgt214
First Officer
United States

VisualeyesAerial Posted at 10-24 05:55
This is ridiculous.  That's EXACTLY why I bought a Mavic over a Phantom....because I wanted the portability.  When traveling, especially on airplanes, I don't want a cumbersome backpack.  People want smaller craft.

Vote with your wallet.  All drones are a compromise in one way or another.  Each individual has to decide for themselves what they desire and can live with.  It sounds like you already have.
2019-10-24
Use props
Fostebrian
New

United States

Yup, too bad we will have to wait a year for Skydio 2 to be in stock. DJI will probably answer with the Mavic 3 before then, lol
2019-10-27
Use props
parkgt214
First Officer
United States

Fostebrian@hotmail.com Posted at 10-27 12:17
Yup, too bad we will have to wait a year for Skydio 2 to be in stock. DJI will probably answer with the Mavic 3 before then, lol

The M3 may be an answer, but it may not be to the same question.
2019-10-27
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

The real breakthrough is when it follows you around inside rooms.
2019-10-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United States

VisualeyesAerial Posted at 10-24 05:55
This is ridiculous.  That's EXACTLY why I bought a Mavic over a Phantom....because I wanted the portability.  When traveling, especially on airplanes, I don't want a cumbersome backpack.  People want smaller craft.

Yep,  me too. no way Im lugging a phantom or inspire onto a plane or even a hike.  M2P is the perfect fit for me.
2019-10-28
Use props
sfd visuals
New

United States

I am currently in the reservation list for the first round and own a mavic Air.  I have a lot of questions/concerns that I may be the one answering for others if I end up being one of the early reviewers. I did not intend to get this to compete with the camera capabilities of the MP2 or even the MA.  Really just looking for a flying GoPro and this seems to be it for the time.  I had assumed the new mini may be close but it was not.  This seems to fit a portion of the market that the mavic does not currently occupy.  The MA subject tracking, for me, has been almost useless. I may be better off with a racing drone and camera than the MA. For the casual flying and overview videos the MA has provided outstanding video in spite of me.  We shall see how the skydio works, but for the footage I am looking for it at least seems like a win.  
2019-11-5
Use props
Originalas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204222 ft
  • >>>
Lithuania

I have got the new Mavic Air 2.. And DJI has set a new standard with Active Tracking 3.0 again!
Skydio RIP

2020-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules