Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New problem with GPS
1743 17 2019-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MartyTravels
First Officer
Flight distance : 394173 ft

Hey guys,

I got a new problem with my Spark. It doesn't record the home point any more even when it shows 11 available satellites. It needs a while to find the satellites but eventually it turns green “GPS mode”, but as soon as I launch, it goes to OPTI mode. I tried everything including factory reset drone, controller and reinstalled the app on the phone.

Any suggestions?

Here is the very short fight log because I pulled it out of the air after a few seconds https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/HVKEEOSZC6D3CDCQY31I

Greetings

Martin

2019-10-6
Use props
ssylca44
Captain
Flight distance : 434721 ft

Seems to be a problem with the GPS receiver, you may need to send it to DJI for repairs.
2019-10-6
Use props
MartyTravels
First Officer

Thanks, but how can it find 11 satellites and have a GPS strength of zero?
2019-10-6
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>

Try to let it sit for one full battery, on the ground, outside, with mostly no shaded "corners of the sky"

Did it fell down, have you had a crash, lately?
edit: Alternativly you could fly it one battery in Opti limits, to test if the GPS recovers
2019-10-6
Use props
MartyTravels
First Officer

Well, I opened it up and replaced the camera gimbal :-) maybe a cable is still loose. I'll check it again.
2019-10-6
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>

MartyTravels Posted at 10-6 07:46
Well, I opened it up and replaced the camera gimbal :-) maybe a cable is still lose. I'll check it again.

Yes does sound like a loose cable.
2019-10-6
Use props
MartyTravels
First Officer

OK, opened it up again and check all the cables and they were all good. Anyhow, it works again. There is still a GPS position mismatch in the log-file but I'll test it again tomorrow and see if thinks get better.

At least the gimbal is working correct again which is great :-)

Btw.: Bought it online for 8 EUR...
2019-10-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Martin. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your DJI Spark. Since this issue is happening. I would recommend you to contact our DJI Support Team for further assistance at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav there might be an issue internally with the said drone that is why you are experiencing this issue. Just a friendly reminder that DJI does not recommend doing a DIY in fixing the said drone to avoid further damaging the said unit. Thank you.
2019-10-6
Use props
MartyTravels
First Officer

Thanks for this recommendation Stephen, but I'm not going to give DJI any more money for this little toy drone. If it doesn't work anymore I throw it into the garbage.

I never received a complementary battery clip for my Spark from DJI, so they probably don't care if my drone drops from the sky anyway.
2019-10-6
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12165479 ft
  • >>>

Hi Martin,

11 satellites with only 2 (max =  5) for GPS reception.
Sat count form 11 to 9 to 8 to 10.

At 8.3 seconnd Warning "Weak GPS signal. Positioning accuracy may be compromised. Please fly with caution."

And yes, because of this OPTI mode and no P-GPS mode.

cheers
JJB
2019-10-6
Use props
MartyTravels
First Officer

Thanks JJB,

my last flight was in P-GPS mode all the time and the drone was very stable. I didn't get any error in the app. However, I had a few GPS position mismatch errors in the logfile. I'll try again tomorrow.

Best
Martin
2019-10-6
Use props
NRRTRAINS 85
Second Officer

try a recalibration  
2019-10-6
Use props
MartyTravels
First Officer

You can calibrate the GPS? Didn't know that. Well, I had to calibrate the gimbal, maybe it works the same way. I'll have a look into it. Thanks
2019-10-6
Use props
Wolferl
Captain
Flight distance : 23793 ft

Hi Marty,

Apparently, you are located on a ship. That means Sparky's location has changed since its last GPS fix. That in turn means the receiver needs to download GPS data from satellites. Only when that download is complete (it can take up to 10 minutes!) the GPS receiver can compute a proper fix.
It can also happen when the Spark is not powered on for several weeks.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-10-6
Use props
MartyTravels
First Officer

Hi Wolferl,

that indeed makes a lot of sense...wow. My Spark was last activated 100s of Kilometers away and a few month back because the gimbal was not working due to sand in its gears.

Didn't know that the GPS module actually downloads data from the satellites. I always assumed that it just compares timecodes.

Ok, I'll let it sit for a while and download some more :-)

Thanks bro
2019-10-7
Use props
Nidge
Captain

MartyTravels Posted at 10-7 00:54
Hi Wolferl,

that indeed makes a lot of sense...wow. My Spark was last activated 100s of Kilometers away and a few month back because the gimbal was not working due to sand in its gears.

It will acquire a simplified time limited almanac (ephemeris) to aid in quicker satellite acquisitions between battery changes and power cycles. Many GPS boards have a small capacitor, looks like a small button battery, that allows for retention of this data while the device is not in use.

Regards

Nidge
2019-10-7
Use props
Wolferl
Captain
Flight distance : 23793 ft

Nidge Posted at 10-7 02:01
It will acquire a simplified time limited almanac (ephemeris) to aid in quicker satellite acquisitions between battery changes and power cycles. Many GPS boards have a small capacitor, looks like a small button battery, that allows for retention of this data while the device is not in use.

Regards

Hi Nidge,

Yes, that is right. But this is only valid if the receiver (ie. the Spark) is not moved too far away of the last fix. And the almanac data are time limited.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-10-7
Use props
MartyTravels
First Officer

Wolferl was obviously right. Everything works as good…or bad as before. The problems with the GPS had nothing to do with me opening the drone and replacing the gimbal motor. It would have happened anyway after 3 month of not switching on the drone.

So DJI moderators, if somebody comes here and says “I have 11 satellites but home point setting failes”, you know what to write
2019-10-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules