Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
My P3S crashed without any reason after the firmware upgrade.
1392 26 2019-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fsong
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6794646 ft
  • >>>

I was flying my DJI phantom (P3S) this morning for taking pictures of the fall color. The battery level of both phantom and remote controller was perfect. After the phantom flew about 10 minutes, it suddenly crashed into the woods without any signs of failure. Now I lost my phantom...

I reviewed my flight log and seemed nothing wrong.

The only thing I remembered, the phantom did the firmware upgrade 1 hour before the flight. And the phantom was flying in the HOME-LOCK mode when it lost.

I tried to submit the online case however it does not take the address from Canada... Can someone please help?

I appreciated your help!

2019-10-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Fsong. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Phantom 3 Standard and thank you for reaching out. We are glad to inform you that a local authorized repair service center is now available in your region. Please reach out to the local service provider for further assistance and repair services.

Company Name: MULTIROTORHELI

Address: 8099 Weston Road, Unit 8, Vaughan , ON , L4L 0C1
Tel: +1 (866) 354-2721
E-mail: info@multirotorheli.ca
Business Hours: Mon-Fri 9:00am-5:30pm, Sat 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM PST

For saving your time, we strongly suggest you make an appointment before making a visit.

Thank you for your support and cooperation.
2019-10-6
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft

Why not post the flight log?
2019-10-6
Use props
Fsong
Second Officer
  • >>>

ALABAMA Posted at 10-6 09:17

Would you please let me know how to access the log? The log is on the phone? it is an iphone. Thanks!
2019-10-6
Use props
Fsong
Second Officer
  • >>>

ALABAMA Posted at 10-6 09:17

I managed to locate the log file ( it is a txt file). I have uploaded to google drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... cB/view?usp=sharing

Let me know your opinion please. Thank!
2019-10-6
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/      Go here, follow the instructions, come back and post the link.
2019-10-6
Use props
Fsong
Second Officer
  • >>>

ALABAMA Posted at 10-6 10:48
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/      Go here, follow the instructions, come back and post the link.

Here is the new upload:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/QCC9N5KULO6YMV5L7KTD

Thanks!
2019-10-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain

Fsong Posted at 10-6 12:00
Here is the new upload:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/QCC9N5KULO6YMV5L7KTD

A quick look at your flight record indicates that right near the end of the record you received a waning of a compass error and the aircraft went into ATTI mode automatically. It is quite likely that you were not skilled in ATTI mode flying and were not able to control it.
2019-10-6
Use props
Fsong
Second Officer
  • >>>

Geebax Posted at 10-6 15:43
A quick look at your flight record indicates that right near the end of the record you received a waning of a compass error and the aircraft went into ATTI mode automatically. It is quite likely that you were not skilled in ATTI mode flying and were not able to control it.

No. That is not correct. If you look at that part (altitude), it was sitting somewhere on the ground.

If you check the sudden altitude descending, there were no warnings at all.

Check the log of descending from the 126ft down to -minus.
2019-10-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft

That  is certainly unfortunate.  Sorry to learn about your loss.

You will have to check the flight log for the nearest location, before it descended.

Hopeful you may retrieve her.

RedHotPoker
2019-10-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain

Fsong Posted at 10-6 16:18
No. That is not correct. If you look at that part (altitude), it was sitting somewhere on the ground.

If you check the sudden altitude descending, there were no warnings at all.

Then the flight log is not complete, as the final part of the log shows the aircraft quite close to your home point.
2019-10-6
Use props
Ben Mason
Second Officer
Flight distance : 610614 ft
  • >>>

It's difficult to see from the .log file you posted you did get a few "notenoughforce" errors and signal interference as the altitude dropped, and then some speed and velocity errors, but i assume this was when the drone hit trees or something like that. Any chance you could upload the .DAT file found on the drone to google drive ? You should be able to go into the DJI GO app while the drone is powered and select "Enter Flight data mode" from the menu, you can then connect the drone to your PC and copy the .DAT files over(In the same way you copy files from a memory stick). The .DAT gives more information than the .log and might more clearly show what happened.
2019-10-6
Use props
Fsong
Second Officer
  • >>>

Ben Mason Posted at 10-6 23:58
It's difficult to see from the .log file you posted you did get a few "notenoughforce" errors and signal interference as the altitude dropped, and then some speed and velocity errors, but i assume this was when the drone hit trees or something like that. Any chance you could upload the .DAT file found on the drone to google drive ? You should be able to go into the DJI GO app while the drone is powered and select "Enter Flight data mode" from the menu, you can then connect the drone to your PC and copy the .DAT files over(In the same way you copy files from a memory stick). The .DAT gives more information than the .log and might more clearly show what happened.

Thanks for all of your analysis. I found out the phantom website did not give too much information from the log file. I uploaded the same file to the airdata.com. Then it gave quite some "not enough force" errors before the sudden crashing. I suspected that it hit something in the air (126ft is not high though) or suddenly lost the power of one of the motors due to some "unknown force" :-)

I retrieved the crashed drone the next day with a long stick. It is broken into pieces. Now it seems it can power on but just can't connect to the DJI GO. It showed on the DJI GO as "aircraft disconnected".

Thanks!
2019-10-7
Use props
Ben Mason
Second Officer
  • >>>

Fsong Posted at 10-7 03:26
Thanks for all of your analysis. I found out the phantom website did not give too much information from the log file. I uploaded the same file to the airdata.com. Then it gave quite some "not enough force" errors before the sudden crashing. I suspected that it hit something in the air (126ft is not high though) or suddenly lost the power of one of the motors due to some "unknown force" :-)

I retrieved the crashed drone the next day with a long stick. It is broken into pieces. Now it seems it can power on but just can't connect to the DJI GO. It showed on the DJI GO as "aircraft disconnected".

No Problem, if your ever curios about what exactly took it down, you can check the .DAT file should have all the information you need to confirm what happened, i generally don't use the websites, mostly software for checking the flight data.
Glad you found the drone, hopefully it's fixable for a reasonable price, i'd imagine your crash yanked the cables out of the gimbal, that's what usually happens. Hope fixing it goes well for you.
2019-10-7
Use props
Fsong
Second Officer
  • >>>

Ben Mason Posted at 10-7 03:37
No Problem, if your ever curios about what exactly took it down, you can check the .DAT file should have all the information you need to confirm what happened, i generally don't use the websites, mostly software for checking the flight data.
Glad you found the drone, hopefully it's fixable for a reasonable price, i'd imagine your crash yanked the cables out of the gimbal, that's what usually happens. Hope fixing it goes well for you.

From what you said, the DAT file is in the drone? Not in the somewhere in the phone I can directly recover? Thanks!
2019-10-7
Use props
Ben Mason
Second Officer
  • >>>

Fsong Posted at 10-7 05:29
From what you said, the DAT file is in the drone? Not in the somewhere in the phone I can directly recover? Thanks!

Yeah, technically speaking it's on an SD card that is glue'd into the drones mainboard, unfortunately if your drone is too damaged to connect to then you would have to either fix it or take the SD card directly from the motherboard to get the DAT file.
2019-10-7
Use props
Fsong
Second Officer
  • >>>

Ben Mason Posted at 10-7 05:43
Yeah, technically speaking it's on an SD card that is glue'd into the drones mainboard, unfortunately if your drone is too damaged to connect to then you would have to either fix it or take the SD card directly from the motherboard to get the DAT file.

Got it.

I just read another thread, if phantom can fly without the gimbal. Since the gimbal was already off, I removed the rest until only the main motherboard under the drone. This way, I should still use the DJI GO to connect and fly.

However, it still shows "aircraft disconnect". I think there is some other damage to the drone itself.

I am going to recycle the drone. It is a P3S for almost 4 years journey with me. And maybe it is the time to say goodbye to it. :-(
2019-10-7
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>

Fsong Posted at 10-7 03:26
Thanks for all of your analysis. I found out the phantom website did not give too much information from the log file. I uploaded the same file to the airdata.com. Then it gave quite some "not enough force" errors before the sudden crashing. I suspected that it hit something in the air (126ft is not high though) or suddenly lost the power of one of the motors due to some "unknown force" :-)

I retrieved the crashed drone the next day with a long stick. It is broken into pieces. Now it seems it can power on but just can't connect to the DJI GO. It showed on the DJI GO as "aircraft disconnected".

The problems show up in the data at 10:30.1.
You were flying at full speed in steady flight when the pitch, roll and yaw data show the drone start to roll, pitch up and rotate clockwise.
Within 0.2 of a second the drone has rolled uoside down
It very quickly starts losing height as the tumbling and spinning increases.

The sudden severe changes in roll and yaw data suggest that a collision is the likely cause of the incident.
2019-10-7
Use props
Fsong
Second Officer
  • >>>

Labroides Posted at 10-7 13:23
The problems show up in the data at 10:30.1.
You were flying at full speed in steady flight when the pitch, roll and yaw data show the drone start to roll, pitch up and rotate clockwise.
Within 0.2 of a second the drone has rolled uoside down

Thanks for your analysis. I think this makes sense. There was no collision for sure. It was spinning while i bought it back. It was in the headless mode (home-lock).

I suspected it might have a bug if does the quick rotation (spinning) and the same time pull back or push forward.

I seldom flew the phantom in the headless mode, however, this time I want to create a dizzy transition for my video footage. And unfortunately, it crashed.

I will recommend fly headless mode very cautiously!
2019-10-7
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>

Fsong Posted at 10-7 14:38
Thanks for your analysis. I think this makes sense. There was no collision for sure. It was spinning while i bought it back. It was in the headless mode (home-lock).

I suspected it might have a bug if does the quick rotation (spinning) and the same time pull back or push forward.

Post #15 .. I suspected that it hit something in the air
Post #22 .. There was no collision for sure.
???
I will recommend fly headless mode very cautiously!
If there was no collision the incident was due to losing a prop or a motor.
Headless mode had nothing to do with it.
2019-10-7
Use props
Fsong
Second Officer
  • >>>

Labroides Posted at 10-7 15:53
Post #15 .. I suspected that it hit something in the air
Post #22 .. There was no collision for sure.
???

Visually I don't see any collision in the air. Since the log file mentioned "power loss", this was why I suspected there was a hit (maybe a bug or something)...
2019-10-7
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>

I get a couple compass errors on the Inspire 1 in flight.  I never ever get compass errors while in flight w/ the M2s and P4 as they are designed differently.   I've come from flying manually and the skill sets kick in when I get an error for a couple seconds or less.  I wouldn't trust going distant flying w/ anything other than an M2, P4, and the Spark.  The NFZ restriction design is different on them than the Inspire 1, P3 and lower.  The computers are different.

Your log shows strong interference detected so many times.
2019-10-7
Use props
Ben Mason
Second Officer
  • >>>

Fsong Posted at 10-7 05:55
Got it.

I just read another thread, if phantom can fly without the gimbal. Since the gimbal was already off, I removed the rest until only the main motherboard under the drone. This way, I should still use the DJI GO to connect and fly.

I assume you tried re-binding it ? Hard to say what's wrong without actually seeing the damage. 4 years a pretty long time in drone years, hopefully your next drone get's just as much use if not more.
2019-10-7
Use props
Vanea Auzeac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60853 ft

Same story with sad happy. Mine is at service for that reason
2019-10-9
Use props
Vanea Auzeac
Second Officer
Romania

I have recovered my Phantom 3 from service
2019-11-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Vanea Auzeac Posted at 11-30 14:16
I have recovered my Phantom 3 from service

Was it repaired or replaced with a refurbished unit?

RedHotPoker
2019-11-30
Use props
Vanea Auzeac
Second Officer
Romania

it was replaced with a new one
2019-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now