Air Unit not compatible with many FCs
12881 28 2019-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
B-RadFPV
lvl.1

I am seeing several threads about air units and power issues. I believe the DJI air unit is NOT compatible with many FCs used in racing/freestyle quads.

The air unit does not function with the DYS F4 PRO V2 using 6S on the 9v regulator. The air unit is the only electrical component on the 9v regulator and I verified its output with a multimeter. The specs for the FC 9v regulator say it can output 1.2 amps. This should be ample power for the air unit. The unit works with 4S packs but not 6S. Not an electrical engineer, but I suspect the regulator is unable to supply 1.2 amps with 6S.

What FC are you using successfully?

2019-10-8
Use props
atlas900
New

When is DJI going to release apk for drones that work offline without need to update/activate in light of the Trade War escalations

First Huawei, now hikvision ban, maybe later DJI will also get banned by the US in the trade war escalation. The DHS already came out of the woodworks and hinted at such....

We know that US has forbade Google from allowing any android apps on the new Huawei Mate 30 smartphones, if DJI gets a similiar type of ban, wouldn't all DJI drones instantly become worthless, useless, paperweight?

What is DJI doing in terms of planning for a worst case contingency scenario to allow its pre-existing customers to be able to have some sembleance of ability to continue to fly their purchased drones after a US ban on DJI, or is DJI just going to say too bad to all the folks that purchased their drones?

What is concerning to me is that I cannot get a DJI GO app to work without having Google account... if you go on any apk repository  like apkupdate or apkpure, if you download the DJI Go apkx it would install but won't actually launch. My guess is DJI did this on purpose to have more 'control' over their app system. Which is more or less fine in normal times, but we do not any longer live in "normal" times... In the day and age when US gov can willy nilly ban any Chinese related firm at will and all US companies are forced to comply, we might as drone owners find ourselves with expensive DJI paperweights when Google is forced to have android block all DJI apps, and without DJI making the ability to install via apk we the consumers are going to get shafted from BOTH ends...

SO again, the question is What is DJI doing in terms of planning for a worst case contingency scenario to allow its pre-existing customers to be able to have some sembleance of ability to continue to fly their purchased drones after a US ban on DJI, or is DJI just going to say too bad to all the folks that purchased their drones?
2019-10-8
Use props
B-RadFPV
lvl.1

atlas900 Posted at 10-8 08:41
When is DJI going to release apk for drones that work offline without need to update/activate in light of the Trade War escalations

First Huawei, now hikvision ban, maybe later DJI will also get banned by the US in the trade war escalation. The DHS already came out of the woodworks and hinted at such....

Your reply doesn't discuss FPV Flight Controllers and compatibility with DJI FPV Air Unit. Your concerns about Trade issues, DHS, Google, etc... although relevant in broad terms, do not specifically help people power their Air Units in the racing/freestyle drones. That was the point of this thread. To be helpful please list the brand/model/names of compatible FCs or stop contributing to this thread.
2019-10-8
Use props
Charmande
lvl.3
Flight distance : 299459 ft

I've successfully used the Kakute F7 FC and Tmotor F4 boards with the air unit. DJI said the air unit is 4S compatible, someone else in these forums mentioned a way to use DJI's FPV system with 6s by way of down stepping the voltage to the system but I cannot seem to find it nor have I tried it myself. I have however had a lot of issues with air units and helping people with their issues. Most of which stemmed from the system not doing things it was supposed to do, like showing drone battery voltage, flight time or allowing for PID changes. DJI repaired my faulty air unit which now works. I suspect a lot of the issues I've seen are due to faulty units as people are connecting them correctly and using boards that are specifically made for DJI's system (many of which require no soldering ... all prebuilt harnesses). This has been my experience curious to see what others have gone through.
2019-10-8
Use props
B-RadFPV
lvl.1

Charmande Posted at 10-8 20:24
I've successfully used the Kakute F7 FC and Tmotor F4 boards with the air unit. DJI said the air unit is 4S compatible, someone else in these forums mentioned a way to use DJI's FPV system with 6s by way of down stepping the voltage to the system but I cannot seem to find it nor have I tried it myself. I have however had a lot of issues with air units and helping people with their issues. Most of which stemmed from the system not doing things it was supposed to do, like showing drone battery voltage, flight time or allowing for PID changes. DJI repaired my faulty air unit which now works. I suspect a lot of the issues I've seen are due to faulty units as people are connecting them correctly and using boards that are specifically made for DJI's system (many of which require no soldering ... all prebuilt harnesses). This has been my experience curious to see what others have gone through.

Thanks for your comments.  Just got a buck converter to take 6S to 12v stable. I will power the air unit from it and will report back.
2019-10-10
Use props
B-RadFPV
lvl.1

B-RadFPV Posted at 10-10 08:44
Thanks for your comments.  Just got a buck converter to take 6S to 12v stable. I will power the air unit from it and will report back.

Quick update the Air Unit works great using the 6S > 12v step down buck converter.
2019-10-10
Use props
Charmande
lvl.3
Flight distance : 299459 ft

B-RadFPV Posted at 10-10 14:10
Quick update the Air Unit works great using the 6S > 12v step down buck converter.

Very nice and thanks for posting your results.
2019-10-10
Use props
fans66840a8f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4025801 ft
  • >>>

Charmande, my unit does not display voltage and flight time in the goggles display, although wires are correctly soldered to UART 4 on a Matek F722SE. You indicate having seen similar problems. What was the solution?
2019-10-11
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>

B-RadFPV Posted at 10-10 14:10

Good to know.  I'll be coming back to this thread later once I start building my own FPV.  Right now, I'm a total newbie in the FPV world.....
2019-10-15
Use props
BrunFPV
lvl.1

Belgium

I using T-motor F4 Flight controller...
2019-10-27
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am using a GEPRC SPAN-F7-BT-HD. Has a connector that eliminates soldering to the air unit. I am only using it on 4s, but it should work with 6s. Has built in bluetooth for using the SpeedyBee app. You should post which converter you used in case other users have the same issue with their flight controller.
2019-10-28
Use props
djiuser_JcGIigKk4Kkk
lvl.2

United States

HushThatPanda

I'm using a Mamba F405 mini stack v2 FC and cannot get the Air Unit's RC to work with it at all. Been through the ringer trying every solution I can. Anyone else experience this?
2019-11-9
Use props
djiuser_iQY2sglBbIr0
New

United Kingdom

I am currently building my first FPV quad, I brought the Dji fpv fly more combo 2 and the air unit I believe is faulty as once powered on the green light takes a good 5 minutes to come on and once it does you cannot use the button to bind the kit together as it does absolutely nothing.

I am using the t motor F4 pro V2 Stack (Dji version) which is literally plug and play, I have been told it can be used with a 6s battery without a voltage regulator as the Stack already has this built in? Is this true or do I need to solder a voltage regulator to the board?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
2019-11-20
Use props
djiuser_iQY2sglBbIr0
New

United Kingdom

BrunFPV Posted at 10-27 10:44
I using T-motor F4 Flight controller...

Are you using a 4s battery or 6s?
2019-11-20
Use props
fans1f174ddf
New

United States

djiuser_JcGIigKk4Kkk Posted at 11-9 11:18
I'm using a Mamba F405 mini stack v2 FC and cannot get the Air Unit's RC to work with it at all. Been through the ringer trying every solution I can. Anyone else experience this?

Did you ever figure out the RX on the mamba f405? I'm having the same problem. Thanks!
2019-12-13
Use props
Faruk TAŞAR
New

Turkey

fans1f174ddf Posted at 12-13 11:51
Did you ever figure out the RX on the mamba f405? I'm having the same problem. Thanks!

Hi, did you tried to set sbus_baud_fast=on
2019-12-26
Use props
djiuser_Al9hF5zStY0n
lvl.1

Australia

Hi B Rad. For the beginners out there can you please explain the base problem and your solution to the problem of the 9v regulator on certain FCs not performing as expected? Will attaching a high quality capacitor (50v 1000uf) to the battery input where it attaches to the EC not be sufficient? I believe that your solution was to use a UBEC attached to the main battery line. Does this not impact the performance of the quad and reduce performance from 6s to 4s and can you please identify the exact UBEC you utilised? I have seen some people mention that a small capacitor attached to the 9v regulator has fixed the issue, are you aware of this approach?
2020-2-15
Use props
B-RadFPV
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_Al9hF5zStY0n Posted at 2-15 04:47
Hi B Rad. For the beginners out there can you please explain the base problem and your solution to the problem of the 9v regulator on certain FCs not performing as expected? Will attaching a high quality capacitor (50v 1000uf) to the battery input where it attaches to the EC not be sufficient? I believe that your solution was to use a UBEC attached to the main battery line. Does this not impact the performance of the quad and reduce performance from 6s to 4s and can you please identify the exact UBEC you utilised? I have seen some people mention that a small capacitor attached to the 9v regulator has fixed the issue, are you aware of this approach?

When using LIPOs > 4s... aka 6s in my case, many Flight Controller voltage regulators are unable to output enough current to adequately power the DJI Air Unit. Using a separate DC Buck converter works but adds complexity, cost, and additional failure points.

I ended up purchasing the Holybro KakuteF7 HDV AIO. Its VR is capable of supplying the Air Unit.
2020-2-15
Use props
mc54
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

I've found it's a lot easier to start with a FC tailor made for the DJI system (like the Kakutef7 HDV) rather than deal with the build frustration and possible in-flight failures that could come with forcing an unwilling FC into this role.
2020-2-15
Use props
longdigga
lvl.1
Flight distance : 221978 ft
United States

B-RadFPV Posted at 2019-10-10 14:10

I also want to use existing FC with the air unit. Did you use the bec directly from the battery lead?
2020-3-30
Use props
B-RadFPV
lvl.1
United States

Yes... powered buck converter directly from the battery lead solder points.
2020-3-31
Use props
franky888
lvl.2
Flight distance : 81247 ft
Indonesia

I'm using flight controller mamba F405 stack with 40a esc and connecting to DJI Air unit, added capacitor and BEC voltage down to 12v for powering Dji Air unit,

Working great on 4s, but for 6s batt when you throttling up, it makes the video freezing, I assume my 40a esc couldn't handle the voltage spikes and drain my batt voltages.

I'm gonna try to replace with 55a ESC or should I replace my FC with DJI compatible and powering Dji air unit directly from FC?
2020-7-19
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have had good luck with the iFlight Succex-
2020-7-20
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have had good luck with the iFlight Succex-D F7 stack. All the stacks I have purchased for use with DJI have the connector not because I don't want to do the soldering but because I know that the ones with the connector have a regulator that supports DJI. You need at least a 2 amp regulator for the DJI air unit. The last quad I built I used a T-Motor ESC. The ESC has a 2 amp regulator. If you wanted to use a flight controller that did not, this would be a good option since the ESC BEC could power the air unit. You can also get 2amp BECs separately.
2020-7-20
Use props
djiuser_6w6lG7Mnvcx8
lvl.2

United States

I was using a Clracing F4S v1.6 and got 11.6 vo,ts 2amp to vtx + but when I got another Clracing F4S V1.6 and used the same settings from betaflight  it only delivers 5v to vtx +?
I know you have to bridge 5v and 7.2 volt pads on tne selectable BEC . How are people getting the Clracing F4S v1.6 to deliver 11.6 volts to vtx+?
2020-9-27
Use props
djiuser_Z9sRyP1iLfqi
lvl.1

United States

I have had so many problems related to power and glitching / twitching / spikes / drops that I have abandoned all effort on setting up any board with it supplying power to the air unit.  now I just use a DIY 12v regulator (1.2A) by way of a lm7812T and .47uf cap and .1uf cap on each side (respectively). then it is just a matter of connecting any open UART and off I go.  using built in power, I had nothing but trouble with the SpeedyBee F722 AIO, as well as the HifionRC f722 Pro.  Both exhibited in flight power issues to the point of crashes.  Rest assured I am ticked off with my idea to drop over $800 on the fly more combo...only to drop another $400 in destroyed quads as a result of DJI failing to fully test / verify their product before releasing it and getting every known internet guru pilot to pass out half assed / partial info and screw us all into the purchase.  And I certainly think the well known ones like Bardwell and Drib could at least tell us straight.  But I guess there's more click link money for them to make when we destroy our existing gear following their useless info
2020-12-11
Use props
Rodolfo Vaz
lvl.2
Brazil

Hi there, everyone. I'm having issues with my DJI AU: everytime I try to do a roll, I lose video and control signal, no matter how close to me the drone is. There's no video on the goggles and the rc led becomes red. After around 10 oi 15 seconds, I get signal again (but the quad crashed...).
My setup includes HIFIONRC F7 pro v2, a dji ready F7 Flight Controller.
Has anyone successfully used this same FC?
2021-3-4
Use props
Rodolfo Vaz
lvl.2
Brazil

djiuser_Z9sRyP1iLfqi Posted at 2020-12-11 21:08
I have had so many problems related to power and glitching / twitching / spikes / drops that I have abandoned all effort on setting up any board with it supplying power to the air unit.  now I just use a DIY 12v regulator (1.2A) by way of a lm7812T and .47uf cap and .1uf cap on each side (respectively). then it is just a matter of connecting any open UART and off I go.  using built in power, I had nothing but trouble with the SpeedyBee F722 AIO, as well as the HifionRC f722 Pro.  Both exhibited in flight power issues to the point of crashes.  Rest assured I am ticked off with my idea to drop over $800 on the fly more combo...only to drop another $400 in destroyed quads as a result of DJI failing to fully test / verify their product before releasing it and getting every known internet guru pilot to pass out half assed / partial info and screw us all into the purchase.  And I certainly think the well known ones like Bardwell and Drib could at least tell us straight.  But I guess there's more click link money for them to make when we destroy our existing gear following their useless info

It's good to see someone else had issues with the same FC that I use. I'll try a regulator to power up my DJI AU. It's really not working properly. I thought it was the cable, so I changed it.
In order to be sure that's the problem of my setup, I'll fly it with two batteries: one for the drone and another one for DJI AU.
2021-3-4
Use props
Taytay
New

United States

if Im using 4S can I use the same pads from the vista to put the 03 unit? Iflight blitz F7 9V
2023-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules